Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are the people here so worried about how other people play games?

MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Looking at the thread titles in this folder it seems like a lot of them are. What's the deal?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Well because some of those people think that everyone should play with his/her style else it's rubbish and need to make threads on why people play different then them.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

mmorpg.com is like a video game within it self..........people like to come here and fight

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Looking at the thread titles in this folder it seems like a lot of them are. What's the deal?

if you really want to know what the deal is I will tell you. It's quite simple.

Adding game mechanics to a design changes the game.

Some people have the attitude that if you change the game design and make it into something not fun for another person, that they should PRETEND that the game mechanics haven't changed.

This sounds very silly to me, but that's the attitude of some players.

For example, you want a game with Perma Death. The "just pretend" crowd says, well, if you die delete your character. There, now you are playing perma death and I'm not, in the same game. If you REALLY like perma death, you'll do that.

Or let's say you like FFA PvP, being able to attack anyone anywhere. The "just pretend" crowd says, well, just make it so you can enable yourself to be attacked, and you can attack anyone else that enables this feature. There you go, now you are playing FFA PvP, but I'm not going to get ganked.

Or, maybe you want a game that encourages group play. The "just pretend" crowd says, well, you CAN group if you want to. Just pretend that the game encourages it, and doesn't actually encourage solo play. Pretend that the game is actually challenging for group play, and not a dumbed down solo version of games that encourage group play. if you REALLY like grouping, you'll just do that.

So you see people are asking for a game THEY like. When you change the game mechanics, it affects EVERYONE in the game, whether you want to admit it or not. But some people like to pretend that if you make the game they like, NO ONE ELSE is affected, because they can always pretend the game is different. Therefore, they make the argument, make the game I like, and anyone that doesn't want to play it is trying to control the way OTHER people play. When really, EVERYONE is describing a game THEY want to play, not what they want other people to do.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

But isn't there - correct me if I'm wrong here - rather more than one MMO? Surely there's scope for people to play Solo- or group- or PvP- or PvE-centric MMOs to their heart's content without caring what other people want to play? If one were to judge by the vitriol being thrown around here, one would think otherwise, so maybe I'm wrong.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I don't give a shit what you people do.

I post and reply to threads in specific game forums that i've either played, am playing or want to play.

As an example I played WoW for three years so imo that entitles me to post in that forum and give my 2c whenever I want.

Same with Eve, Daoc, AO and a ton of other mmos.

It has nothing to do with "Them" and everything to do with me.

You wanna solo all day... have fun, you wanna group all day.... have fun, you want meaningless pvp or to play a Item farm game ..... have fun. Even though I feel this way it wouldnt stop me from posting how I feel about a certain topic. Again its about me after all.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

But isn't there - correct me if I'm wrong here - rather more than one MMO? Surely there's scope for people to play Solo- or group- or PvP- or PvE-centric MMOs to their heart's content without caring what other people want to play? If one were to judge by the vitriol being thrown around here, one would think otherwise, so maybe I'm wrong.

There is a lack of MMORPGs that are new (you can't play EQ forever) and cater to players that like certain game mechanics.

If you like PvE and games that encourage solo play, then yes, there are plenty of new games for you to play.

If you like games that encourage grouping, or games that have FFA PvP, or just good RvR for that matter, there is a lack of decent new games for you to play.

The status quo is someone says, I would like a game that has FFA PvP. Or I would like a game that encourages grouping.

The reply is, well WoW doesn't have those things and it's the most popular. It costs money to make an MMORPG. So if you want make money, you have to copy WoW. So shut up and quit asking for those features. you will never get a game like that, because it's not like WoW!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by metalhead980

I post and reply to threads in specific game forums that i've either played, am playing or want to play.

As an example I played WoW for three years so imo that entitles me to post in that forum and give my 2c whenever I want.

You wanna solo all day... have fun, you wanna group all day.... have fun, you want meaningless pvp or to play a Item farm game ..... have fun. Even though I feel this way it wouldnt stop me from posting how I feel about a certain topic. Again its about me after all.

This reply is pure gold and exactly what I would have said.  To be closely followed by Ihmotepp's reply right after it.

Thanks guys, saving me lots of typing today.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Oh same here mate. It's just that it seems that some - many - people are really offended that there exist games that cater to different play styles.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

There is a worry by some posters that with WoW there has been an increasing shift towards solo mmos; and the problem with everyone soloing is it makes it much harder to form a group. Its a divided opinion mainly derived from old school mmo players that maybe there should be more emphasis on grouping- afterall this is the bread and butter of multiplayer games- interaction with others.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

The concern is that if people who like a certain game dynamic are loud enough, game devs will make games that cater to them. If you happen to not like that game dynamic, that sucks for you.

This is being driven by the fact that dev's ARE catering to game types, exluding other types of games. (i.e. sandbox vs. thempark, pvp vs. pve, solo vs. group)

As far as their being more than one MMO to play, realistically, the number of new QUALITY, non-messed up games that offer many things to many people is zero.  And even if there is one, what if its not in genre you like? Etc...

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Basically because while Player Type B is happy doing their own thing, they also want Player Type A to play the exact same way as they do, because they think that's the way EVERYBODY should be playing.  It Is "The MMO Law" as they see it, and they are there to see it enforced, god dammit.

There are endless tears from Player Type B when Player Type A says "But I want to play the way I want to, not the way you want to, though I obviously have no objections if you want to keep doing your own thing.  Do whatever floats your boat, and we'll do likewise.  There's ample room for us all."

Player Type B cannot abide this in any way or form, hence the incredible amount of whining, bitching and vaginal waxing on their part.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074
    Originally posted by spades07

There is a worry by some posters that with WoW there has been an increasing shift towards solo mmos; and the problem with everyone soloing is it makes it much harder to form a group. Its a divided opinion mainly derived from old school mmo players that maybe there should be more emphasis on grouping- afterall this is the bread and butter of multiplayer games- interaction with others.

Isnt playing the auction house interacting with players? thats one example. but to some people, interacting means only one thing: grouping. you're interacting just by standing in town doing nothing. Interaction has a very broad definition. why does being in a group with strangers who will leave without a word after they get what they want suddenly the only way to play a mmo?

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

Basically because while Player Type B is happy doing their own thing, they also want Player Type A to play the exact same way as they do, because they think that's the way EVERYBODY should be playing.  It Is "The MMO Law" as they see it, and they are there to see it enforced, god dammit.

There are endless tears from Player Type B when Player Type A says "But I want to play the way I want to, not the way you want to, though I obviously have no objections if you want to keep doing your own thing.  Do whatever floats your boat, and we'll do likewise.  There's ample room for us all."

Player Type B cannot abide this in any way or form, hence the incredible amount of whining, bitching and vaginal waxing on their part. 

While there certainly is a truth to the 'the way i play is how everyone should play' dynamic, I think the reason people are vocal about it, is because devs are focusing mmo's to narrower audiences and the feeling/fear is 'if I don't argue for my style as loudly as I can, it just won't be made'.

Clearly the insanity regarding solo vs. group oriented games is coming from devs making games that are moving away from group oriented to solo oriented. And while ideally an MMO should be able to accomodate both styles, no one has figured out how to do it right yet in a quality game that everyone wants to play.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Oh same here mate. It's just that it seems that some - many - people are really offended that there exist games that cater to different play styles.

Well those people are dumb. Imo the more variety in the genre the better. Give people more gameplay options.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Originally posted by Dibdabs

I think this is a misunderstanding of the situation.

In reality, no players want others to play the way they do.

What they want, is certain features in the game that other players do not like.

The players that dont' like certain features, will often claim that you can some how make a game that includes that feature, while allowing everyone to play the game they want to, which is simply not possible.

For example FFA PvP, the ability to attack every player in the game, every where.

Player A will say, well, make a zone for PvP. That's the same thing as FFA PvP. Now you can play your way, and I can play my way. What are you complaining about, why do you want to make me play FFA PvP? Why isn't this good enough for you?

But anyone can plainly see that a "zone" for PvP is absolutely NOT the same as attacking anyone anywhere.

And on it goes for every game mechanic one player likes, but another player dislikes.

Game mechanics CHANGE THE GAME FOR EVERYONE, not just some players. You really can't get around that simple fact .

Same with perma death. Some players want a game where if you die, that's it, end of your character. Other players will say, well, just delete your character if you die.

There you go, you have your perma death, but I don't. Why do you want to make me play your perma death game?

But obviously a game where everyone that dies loses their character forever, is absolutely NOT the same as just deleting your own character and pretending Perma Death is in the game.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

moved

Generation P

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

People who want games exactly how they want them should go MAKE THEM.  Then, they'll have no one to blame but themselves when it fails;)  I think the exercise of trying to make a game wlll teach these people why game are designed the way they are, why compromises are made, why certain feature don't WORK or aren't FUN.  Once you've done it, you then GET IT and will no longer complain about it.

Originally posted by Josher

People who want games exactly how they want them should go MAKE THEM.  Then, they'll have no one to blame but themselves when it fails;)  I think the exercise of trying to make a game wlll teach these people why game are designed the way they are, why compromises are made, why certain feature don't WORK or aren't FUN.  Once you've done it, you then GET IT and will no longer complain about it.

That doesnt' make much sense.

People want these features because THEY ARE FUN.

For example, people ask for FFA PvP because they played it in Shadowbane, and loved it.

People ask for encouraged grouping because they played it in EQ and loved it.

I don't think most people are asking for features that can't be done, have never been done, or that arent' actually fun, at least for them.

You're basically saying there's no need make any games that have features you dont' like. For example, you dont' like FFA PvP, so there's no need to make those games.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by page

mmorpg.com is like a video game within it self..........people like to come here and fight

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!

:: breaks chair over Page's head ::

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by page

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!

:: breaks chair over Page's head ::

You can't treat Page that way!

:: smashes bottle over Tardcore's head ::

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

People are not worried how others play so much as they worry about what dev's think should be developed.  

So, if a bunch of players are writing that an MMO should be solo-oriented, heavily instanced, linear, with agonizingly long cutscenes, and with permadeath and open world PVP and full looting, then unless someone posts to the contrary, that's what dev's are going to develop.

• 0tter0tter Member UncommonPosts: 226

That's what this site is for, the discussion of mmorpgs.  That includes playstyles.  The problem comes from the few posters that have a  preferred playstyle and hate anyone else that prefers another.  It's always the extremist on either side of the topic.  They hijack every thread and start making personal attacks about the poster's age, playstyle, grammar, etc.  When a poster starts this, it's usually because they can't articulate their point well and resort to name calling out of desperation.

And let's face the facts.  Many gamers create threads for the simple desire to insult people and start a flame war.  You can spot them right off.  They create thread after thread arguing the same point.  As soon as one thread dies down, they start another one with the same topic.  At this point, many people just get frustrated and either ignore the threads or cut and paste their previous responses.  It's gotten to that point. 

Healthy discussions are fine.  We just need to start ignoring the ones that are here not to advance the discussion, but to start arguments.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp 
    That doesnt' make much sense.
    People want these features because THEY ARE FUN.
    For example, people ask for FFA PvP because they played it in Shadowbane, and loved it.
    People ask for encouraged grouping because they played it in EQ and loved it.
    I don't think most people are asking for features that can't be done, have never been done, or that arent' actually fun, at least for them.
    You're basically saying there's no need make any games that have features you dont' like. For example, you dont' like FFA PvP, so there's no need to make those games.

It makes a lot of sense if you think about it. People will always ask for a lot of things but it is up to the developers, who have invested time and money, to figure out who their game will cater to. The game has to be released in a timely manner and certain features that are less popular will probably get cut.

For example if only a small amount of players want encouraged grouping and the majority want meaningful solo game play, if a developer had to pick, which group do you think he or she will cater to?

The question you have to ask yourself is: if it worth it for the developer to invest money and time into a feature that not only will attract a small community but may also push a much larger community away?

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

It's because people love to insert themselves into other people's lives, and tell them how to live.

It occurs in all aspects of life.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Or the simplest explanation is that it is a message board and once you comment you are leaving yourself open to debate?

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....