Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acer Aspire 8735G or Packard Bell IPOWER GX-M-010?

massicksmassicks Member Posts: 46

My wife has recently persuaded me to replace the desktop machine for something a littler neater i.e. a laptop.

I still want to be able to play games and have settled on one of the following two similar priced machines. Please could someone help me determine which would be most suitable for gaming?

Their specs areas follows:

Packard Bell IPOWER GX-M-010 17" widescreen laptop

Price inc VAT £849.97

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium

Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8400

Processor speed (2.2GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB cache)

Memory Size 4GB MB

Memory Type DDR3

Hard Drive Capacity 500 GB

Optical Drives SuperMulti DVD

Screen Size/Type 17" Widescreen

Graphics Card Type NVidia GeForce 9800 GTS

Graphics Memory 1GB

TV-out YES

Wireless Enabled YES

No. of USB Connections 3

No. of Firewire Connections 1

HDMI, 5-in-1 card reader,

Battery Type 9-cell Li-ion

Battery life (up to) 3.5 hours

Colour Black

Acer Aspire 8735G Widescreen Laptop

Price inc VAT £899.99

Operating system Genuine Windows (R) 7 Home Premium

Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P7450

Processor speed (2.13Ghz, 1066Mhz, 3MB Cache)

Memory Size 4GB MB

Memory Type DDR2

Hard Drive Capacity 640 GB

Optical Drives Blu-ray combo drive

Screen Size/Type 18.4"

Graphics Card Type Nvidia GeForce GT 240M

Graphics Memory 1GB

Sound Type Dloby Home Theatre

Wireless Enabled YES

No. of USB Connections 4

Battery Type Lithium-ion

Battery life (up to) 2.5 hours

Colour Blue

Comments

• kanaetrkanaetr Member UncommonPosts: 11

lo man, just from the specs, i would recommend acer between only those two, just because the gt 240 factor, but it has a bit outdated processor and ram, take a look at these two,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146613

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157045

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

It's hard to know this because of Nvidia's terrible naming scheme, but the 9800M GTS is actually quite a bit faster than the GT 240M. The Packard Bell does have a smaller screen but I think the overall specs make the PB a better deal.

Newegg isn't an option in UK and from everything I've seen the laptop selection is somewhat limited compared to what we can get from Newegg and Best Buy and such in the states. www.novatech.co.uk has some good laptops though, they rebrand Clevo (Many Sager and Alienware laptops are rebranded Clevo).. The X65 on there has a GT 130M which is just a bit slower than the GT 240M but is a fair bit cheaper than either of these even after you step up the CPU to match these 2 and I would recommend that if you need to save at all.

Overall if you're willing to spend £850 though I'd get the Packard Bell and it should be worth the cost over the X65.

• kanaetrkanaetr Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by noquarter

It's hard to know this because of Nvidia's terrible naming scheme, but the 9800M GTS is actually quite a bit faster than the GT 240M. The Packard Bell does have a smaller screen but I think the overall specs make the PB a better deal.

Newegg isn't an option in UK and from everything I've seen the laptop selection is somewhat limited compared to what we can get from Newegg and Best Buy and such in the states. www.novatech.co.uk has some good laptops though, they rebrand Clevo (Many Sager and Alienware laptops are rebranded Clevo).. The X65 on there has a GT 130M which is just a bit slower than the GT 240M but is a fair bit cheaper than either of these even after you step up the CPU to match these 2 and I would recommend that if you need to save at all.

Overall if you're willing to spend £850 though I'd get the Packard Bell and it should be worth the cost over the X65.

he is right 9800m gts beats all above.next time i will read the specs a bit more carefully :p ty quart.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

900 pounds is so freaking expensive for 2 crappy laptops.  You can do better.  Look for Sager, Clevo, Asus, or MSI.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Look up ASUS laptops. They have one on newegg that's better than both of those for less.... but I don't think you brits have newegg. But, if you look up ASUS's site they should be able to point you in the direction of a good british site to buy one from.

Those laptops aren't "crappy" but they are crappy brands.  I couldn't stomach paying that much for an Acer.... I mean....... it's an Acer. It's like the Emerson of computers.

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

dont pay that much for those crappy namebarnds man, there are so many deals out there. google is your friend especially if you dont have newegg where you live. For that price you can have a custom laptop just to your liking.