Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest: Underfoot Expansion Preview

2»

Comments

• SinentSinent Member Posts: 137

Eq will always hold that special place for me however now adays the evil foks at sony are killing the franchise imho with the rampent abuse of lon stuff for there games,

they create content for there tcg and not as much for the game itself and the final straw for me was there little instance they created that was only achievable by getting a random loot card in the tcg.

not to mention anything cool has to be paifd for now adays with real moneys

Some lead and some follow I prefer to stand beside!

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Sinent

Eq will always hold that special place for me however now adays the evil foks at sony are killing the franchise imho with the rampent abuse of lon stuff for there games,
    they create content for there tcg and not as much for the game itself and the final straw for me was there little instance they created that was only achievable by getting a random loot card in the tcg.

Sigh...another person complaining about the things you can pay for that make no real difference in the game. A zone someone gets to use because they have cards or an appearance item DOES NOT RUIN THE GAME!!

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by Acidon
    I usually never bash an article.
    Actually I'm not bashing the article itself.  I'm bashing how you represented EverQuest. 
    For a 10 year old game, yes it *does* look pretty good - as you said.
    But for the sake of proper representation, you could have at least tweaked your anti-aliasing like any self-respecting gamer would if they were playing the game.  It makes your screenshots look much worse than they should to be honest.
    For a game that old, it looks amazing to me.  I'm biased, yes, but it's still true.  If those screenshots were void of all the "jaggies", it would have been better.
    Just my opinion.
    Acidon

This is Just My Opinion , Acidon.

Everquest is old But its still being support and once again for the umpteenth time expanded. For MMO players with limited resources its still a good game but as far as those MMO players who moved on with the technology its only a part of their MMO history. I am glad you still enjoy it but then again I enjoy playing with a YoYo from time to time.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

First off, Everquest is NOT the grandfather of MMO games, Ultima online is. 

Secondly, time for SOE to stop the paid expansions for this outdated game and just release free ones.  It would actually increase the playerbase.  SOE has to have the genre's worst marketing department.  I think a room full of monkies would do a better job.

sigh.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I wish I tried EQ1 back in the old days.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

It was a real ballbreaker of a game... I mean no quests, you just killed monsters at camps for exp grinds and loot, waiting for them to respawn. Death could be brutal if you didn't have an Cleric with his epic weapon (which gave a 90% exp rezz). Traveling, at least as a single player Warrior (alot 2 boxed) was quite a hike, unless you wanted to pay out a substantial amount of plat or have your friends taxi you around. You had to group, my warrior struggled killing monsters 8 levels below.

But all that ball breaking really made the community awesome. People helped eachother out, because that was what the game required. Then it turned into a raiding game... which was fun for a couple of expansions (Kunark and Velious) then went to crap and the game has never been the same since.

• BegglyBeggly Member Posts: 37

I don't mind in game real cash purchases of costume pieces, cosmetic items, maybe mounts or things like that.  However, there are items that can be purchased in EQ that do have a definite effect on how powerful your character will be in game, potions and other items.

I note that City of Heroes has in game purchases, mostly costume items and flight belts, teleport's to special locations (where anyone else can get on foot, so to speak), but all the in game powers you can get by purchasing them are either usable only on others or having to do with transportation or costumes.  This gives the player purchasing no unfair advantage, while giving his team mates an advantage for teaming with him.  I don't see that from sony.

• SamatmanSamatman Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Basicgear

Samatman,
    EQ doesnt make expansion to have people buy back into the game. What they focus on now is the current player base they have, so the tactics you are used to (creating an expansion for people to return for a month or two) arent used here.
    EQ is a great game, but what your looking at is a game with so much content that new players to the game will not find a foothold without joining with a group of friends. Any expansion will be for high lvl players to further explore and enjoy, people on their 'ever - quest'.

Actually let me just clarify a little.  I am a returning player, I last played when Omens of War was released (2004).  I have been playing my level 40-60 characters again for the last 2 months and honestly, the game is just fantastic.  I'm not even using mercenaries and having a blast soloing, duoing and grouping.  Lots of zones had graphics revamps and look great.  Out of combat regen makes downtime a thing of the past while still retaining the challenging gameplay we expect from EQ.  A lot of the new graphics look great with the obvious exceptions of the character models/animations and the original old world zones (but those just look nostalgic, so no complaints).

Back when I was playing before, when an expansion came out they put in hooks to give everyone something.  New bank slots, armor dyes, new leveling zones, new races, new game features (like the target window and achievement systems which are in Underfoot).  Even if the new content was for the level-capped and bored player, everyone got something. 

What I was trying to say in my original post was that if all we're getting aside from new content for level 80s is a target window and achievements, it would be pretty nice to get a look at them before ordering an expansion.  I think the days of "SOE: We have a new expansion!" and everyone simply clicking [Buy!] are long past for Everquest I.  I realize that many people are sitting near level cap and will buy just for some new places to go, but it never hurts to realize that there are people playing pre-80 and there are a lot of people returning or looking to come back to play EQ. 

So that said... if you're on the fence about coming back and trying EQ again, why not do it?  Once you let your eyes adjust to the slightly dated graphics, slightly odd character animations, and smaller world populations - it is a better game now than it ever was.  Seriously.

• DarkchyldDarkchyld Member Posts: 2

It was insane. I started a couple weeks before Luclin came out and the new models came.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I miss having boxed avatars.

I miss seeing my avatar run in the inventory screen.

I miss making a new wood elf, popping below at the elevator, and not knowing a clue what to do. Die Wasp Die! Ding 2!

I miss running across multiple zones just to get to a destination. (No PoK Book)

I miss the people I had the chance to meet when I could group in Butcherblock, and the awesome shout, TRAIN!! was often like a distant 'chant.'

I now miss the spellbook blocking my screen when I meditated.

I miss the Old Bazaar in the EC Tunnels. Torch 2 baby.

I miss grinding like hell in Oasis.

I now miss Lake of Ill Omen.

I miss how being grateful I was for druid ports and Wizzy Xlocs, or how I thought Bards were an absolutely stunning class or being able to solo, fly, and run at incredible speeds. (My first character was a druid)

In addition to porting, that was the bread and butter for a good cash flow. 1pp goes a long way!

I miss the legend that Fine Steel was the best you could get.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that was just some things!

If Sony brought back a server (which I think they may have) that was PURE classic, with zones launched after Shadows of Luclin were closed, and the content were pretty much an exact replica of the old days, I would probably play again. I've played recently and got my rogue to 85 and is flagged for Crystallos (sp?) but personally, it just doesn't beat the old days.

And no, I am not bashing EQ whatsoever. Although I do feel SoE kind of ruined it with the PoP expansion and onward, EQ is still one of the best MMO's out there and is apparently doing something right if it is holding it's player base as well as keeping it's servers alive.

• ErrandfErrandf Member UncommonPosts: 24

Still waiting to get excited about this expansion, I will probably wait a bit before buying, only  char at lvl 85 atm.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    First off, Everquest is NOT the grandfather of MMO games, Ultima online is.  Secondly, time for SOE to stop the paid expansions for this outdated game and just release free ones.  It would actually increase the playerbase.  SOE has to have the genre's worst marketing department.  I think a room full of monkies would do a better job.

As long as people are willing to 'pay' for expansions, SOE will keep making them.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

if a business model is working for the game. why not?. People will pay for it no matter what, be it p2p or microtransactions.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

I wish you did too, it was quite an experience.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• keenlightkeenlight Member Posts: 15

I can tell you this much about uf expansion it really brings back a lot of the old fun where grouping is a must as its one tough expansion.

I have played for almost 10 years now and i rember it took me like a year to get my druid to lvl 20 and wow was  it fun getting there. As for makeing new content set for lower chars i dont see the need hell there is 15 expansions before this one for you to lvl and have fun.

UF is not for lvling up its for improveing your gear/char and i can tell you it has some great upgreads even for non raiders.Get to 85 which isnt hard then find a group which is gonna be easy in uf cause everybody gonna need one and get your upgrades without haveing to do raids .

EQ for me was about gouping with diff classes and needing dif classes to survive and that feeling when your puller didnt do his job right and pulled 3 mobs to camp and the skills of your cc class that helped us to survive.Thats what eq was about 6 peeps pulling together to survive the tough zones .

I have played near every mmo out there and i can tell you the feeling of pride when your team has spent a few hours in a tough zone and you actually accomplised some thing has never been reproduced in any of the mmo i have played except EQ.

Thank you SOE for bringing out a expansion that actually brings back the feel of the old days.

• BegglyBeggly Member Posts: 37

I was a 8 year veterin of EQ when I cancelled my accounts (not long after the introduction of those merc npcs, which I didn't buy into).  I loved the first five years I played EQ.  Personally, I love all the expansions I got until the last 2.  The ONLY quibble i have with eq is that raising the level cap constantly and upping the power level of the latest expansions to be MOSTLY accessible to those near the old level cap caused character and monster inflation, and created a need to raid.

For many, he need to raid part was the fun of the game.  The key word in there was MANY.  For a large number of us (most of my friends in game) it was the death knell of EQ.  We gained some solace by switching to FV server (one character only then), where since most had only 1 or 2 characters you could get normal groups rather than raid slots.

You see we liked teaming up with six other people who liked to sit around grinding ep while chatting or doing tradeskills.  We liked doing fast pulling in dangerous zones where a single group could do a few levels in an evening while fighting a ton of mobs as fast as we could.  We loved wandering through new zones and oooing and ahhing over the nifty art the art developers had created for it.  The absolutely awesome archetechture and underground vistas in the LDONS for instance....

But we got to a point where we had to raid to get flagged to go to places, where, once there, we had to raid to survive.  Raiding was a fun thing we did once in a while to get epic items and see zones we normally could not see.  It was not what we did to survive in the game.

I am partially exaggerating here, but only a little.  When most of us began noticing that we were paying for new expansions 50% of which we simply would never get to experience meaningfully, EQ lost a lot of the shine.  We still loved the old game, but hated the impression that the devs felt it was NECESSARY to raid to experience the game.  It was not JUST the level cap either.  The items given out to the raiders was so awesome that they could go into the high level zones when not raiding, and even solo effectively.  At L70 my character couldn't solo effectively in a zone that was billed as a L65 zone.  I didn't have the equipment.  Of course, I did have the highest quality equipment you could get NOT RAIDING.  Sigh.  That really killed it for me. 

I was being penalized in the game because I didn't like  to raid.  Or at least, that's how I felt.  Over time it just because too irritating to bother playing, I wasn't having fun because in order to have fun I'd have to do what I felt was boring... raid.

• Angelof2070Angelof2070 Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by Sinent

I would play a "Classic" shard for EQ1.

No expansions at all. Just classic EQ1, lol.

Bc I loved the game, and although I did fool around as an Iksar I never ventured very far. In fact, I stayed mostly in Qeynos/QeynosHills/Blackburrow along with Qeynos Sewers, Karanas, and a long adventure to the Desert of Ro and Unrest.

• appelappel Member Posts: 53

Indeed, there was nothing like the original, it really was tough at times and it sucked when you died, but it was a blast,  especially  when you had a good group.

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

Everquest was my first mmo back in 2001 and i resubbed for a while recently but not sure what is going on since i have a major problem getting the ui to not suck, i use aya ui and it has always been nice but now i can't get it to fit together nicely.

And one thing it lacks is an easy way to keep track of progress you make say getting keys/flags for zones in older content that still has items that could be nice or just for the fun of getting access, say working trough barindu+ if you done parts of it a few years ago finding out where you left of is hard if not impossible, same with planes of power, even though you have the seer to chat to it is still fairly rough.

But eq is still a fun game and with the hotzones you can make some nice leveling even solo, at least at the 40-60 range.