Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3: Could Heroes of Telara's new social gaming replace Warcraft?

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It's nice to see HoT getitng a little exposure, but people need to stop the 'WoW killa' rubbish right now before we start.

We all know nothing will replace WoW for a long time yet, and nor should anything be driven or designed to. Building a game specifically for the mass market  for mass appeal is a bad bad way to go about it and only leads to the bad ez mode casual solo themeparks, with a little no consequence PvP in there, that we see so many of.

HoT has the chance here to do something original and inspired, not just repeat the same old formulas, and to do that it's best that it just ignores everyone else (especially the forums, including me) and gets on with just building a good game. Artificial goals like killing WoW only drag it all down to money.

Personally, I want this hobby to get right back to teams of designers doing something that inspires them and away from the accountants. This genre was built on niche user bases and it has been proven niche user bases provide enough profit to maintain a healthy business. Only corperate greed demands more.

Fingers crossed that HoT is never presented officially as the game to end WoW, let alone by lazy unimaginative game journalists looking to jazz their inspid web articals up.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

To be fair I was hoping that this game is going to be the real EQ2, more than the new WoW...............

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

...or even the Vanguard that was managed and supported properly... :P

• dionysus444dionysus444 Member Posts: 6

Sorry, but I can't see this game going to far...

The dynamic world, is an excellent concept....  However, its going to be hell for the devs/world team to keep up with changes, most 'events' as they call them will most likely be temporary 'rifts' that allow an outpouring of monsters that maybe changes the type of enemy in a zone for a few hours...  To change the world in the longrun is going to require quite an amount of resources.

Next problem, the graphics are sub-par at best, the character models in the SSs lot like crap.  The orcs/goblin look, umm, friendly...  That ain't right.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Any MMOs needs to concentrate on being as good as it can be before it starts to concentrate on taking the place of another game. That means, quite simply, not coming on to the market claiming to be a WoW killer.

History has shown us that the games that come out and get hyped to be a WoW killer fail in that. The one that really draws to mind for me was Warhammer. Many people said and believed it could surpass WoW and it did seem to be going there for a little bit. Then all the people that hoped it could be left.

No game is going to surpass WoW unless it joins WoW in dumbing down MMOs for the masses. That may sound a bit harsh, but WoW is not my type of game. It was fun for a while but ultimately it is too simple.

I'd rather see a game with a small, stable population with content that keeps that population absorbed yet enough population to make the content work. I hope that makes sense. Simply put, if a game has a small population then so be it. As long as that population isn't spread out across too many servers then it can work. Many, many games make this mistake. One of them was Warhammer. It was a fine game, with a few mistakes in planning that were made worse by too many servers and not enough people on each.

Telara doesn't need to kill WoW to be successful. It can be successful in Blizzard's shadow. Trion just need to know their place and not want more than that. Servers can always be added.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197

I'm pretty tired of the 'wow killer' stuff. It's a tired phrase and happens with every new MMO, just like 'iphone killer' is mentioned every time a new mobile phone comes out.

I just hope they focus on whatever their creative vision is and strive to make a great game for the sake of making a great game.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• VaenVaen Member Posts: 140

Part of me thinks, yeah, this 'WoW killer' idea is sooo over discussed and cliché, but on the other hand, I think the MMORPG industry and players need that WoW killer, so we can get some competition and new ideas. If something doesn't "kill" WoW, WoW's going to kill the genre.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Saying you are the "WoW Killer" sets you up for failure.  the game will not be compaired to the WoW that came out but to the polished relatively bug free, content rich WoW of now.  What brand new game out of the starting blocks can compete with that.  People will just nit pick the new game to death till people turn from it and do not give it the chance to prosper.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Originally posted by Vaen

Part of me thinks, yeah, this 'WoW killer' idea is sooo over discussed and cliché, but on the other hand, I think the MMORPG industry and players need that WoW killer, so we can get some competition and new ideas. If something doesn't "kill" WoW, WoW's going to kill the genre.

WoW could almost be said to have created teh genre.  When the first cars came out people saw them as novelties.  Something only the few used with time, money, and ability to fix them.  It was not till the Model T was mass produced and everyone just had to have one and could have one that the "genre" of the automobile really was created.  WoW is like the Model T...mass produced for everyone and as the car industry shows you will have specialty cars, but they are never as main stream as the basic, easy to use, easy to buy vehicle (example Civic vs Ferrari).  WoW and WoW-esque games are here to stay for a long while.  Probably until technology changes to allow something new that changes everything, the flying car vs the Civic.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

looking at all those new games for 2011, some promissing very interesting features, i make my words same as other poster said, there wont be a wow killer, but wow killerSSS, so many games for so many playstyles ppl at least will try SOME of them.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by vesavius

It's nice to see HoT getitng a little exposure, but people need to stop the 'WoW killa' rubbish right now before we start.

We all know nothing will replace WoW for a long time yet, and nor should anything be driven or designed to. Building a game specifically for the mass market  for mass appeal is a bad bad way to go about it and only leads to the bad ez mode casual solo themeparks, with a little no consequence PvP in there, that we see so many of.

HoT has the chance here to do something original and inspired, not just repeat the same old formulas, and to do that it's best that it just ignores everyone else (especially the forums, including me) and gets on with just building a good game. Artificial goals like killing WoW only drag it all down to money.

Personally, I want this hobby to get right back to teams of designers doing something that inspires them and away from the accountants. This genre was built on niche user bases and it has been proven niche user bases provide enough profit to maintain a healthy business. Only corperate greed demands more.

Fingers crossed that HoT is never presented officially as the game to end WoW, let alone by lazy unimaginative game journalists looking to jazz their inspid web articals up.

Well, for a long time is always hard to guess. There are many upcoming MMOs next year and Blizzard themselves have a MMO in the making. Wow wont be killed in a loooong time but replaced is a different thing, some game will become larger and that will happen in the next 3 years, Wow is already 6 years old and nothing lasts forever.

But HOT will most likely not be the next big game/games anyway. It competes with games like TOR, FFXVI, GW2 and WoDO, all of those are also new thinking in many ways and they are made with a good budget from competent studios that have proven themselves in the past. Add studios like Bethesda, Blizzard and a few others that are developing upcoming MMOs.

You can never be 100% which game will be large and which that will not but there is a lot of MMOs coming in the near future, a lot more AAA games than what have been released since 2004 so it is logical that at least one of them will have more subs than a 6+ year game. Wow will be 9 years in 3 years and that is really old for a game.

But EQ and UO is still around and Wow will stay around for many years yet, but it wont be the biggest MMO at it's 10 year birthday. Blizzard will make a Wow 2 sooner or later but that is another story.

Planning to make a Wow killer is a sure failure. But that doesn't mean that Wow will be the biggest MMO forever, nothing is forever 'cept death and taxes.

• Kyser_SozeKyser_Soze Member Posts: 20

This game does look interesting, and the concepts behind the game that the dev's are talking up do seem interesting. Even though this is my first post here, I have gone through plenty of MMO's. And the biggest thing that worries me, is that developers always like to talk the talk but never walk the walk. So what a dev says to any journalist, blogger, or convention vistor is taken with a grain of salt till the game is released. What gets me about most posters on this thread though. No where in this article is the dev's quoted for saying that this is a wow killer. The person writing up the article used the wow killer refrence to bait people into reading his article. But in no quoted remarks from the devs was wow mentioned.

I am intrigued to see how this pans out. It could be another Tabula Rasa though. (Dynamic enviroment to them just ment mobs traveled farther so you never saw their spawn points.)

We will see though, I do agree, that these journalists need to get off the WoW killer band wagon, but using wow as a refrence due to its nature as being the default MMO on the market now, is un-avoidable. You can create more of a comparison to more players when using wow then say EQ2.

But just to make it clear, No one at Trion has been quoted saying this is going to be a WoW killer.

• AbraxosAbraxos Member Posts: 412

Originally posted by Kyser_Soze

This game does look interesting, and the concepts behind the game that the dev's are talking up do seem interesting. Even though this is my first post here, I have gone through plenty of MMO's. And the biggest thing that worries me, is that developers always like to talk the talk but never walk the walk. So what a dev says to any journalist, blogger, or convention vistor is taken with a grain of salt till the game is released. What gets me about most posters on this thread though. No where in this article is the dev's quoted for saying that this is a wow killer. The person writing up the article used the wow killer refrence to bait people into reading his article. But in no quoted remarks from the devs was wow mentioned.

I am intrigued to see how this pans out. It could be another Tabula Rasa though. (Dynamic enviroment to them just ment mobs traveled farther so you never saw their spawn points.)

We will see though, I do agree, that these journalists need to get off the WoW killer band wagon, but using wow as a refrence due to its nature as being the default MMO on the market now, is un-avoidable. You can create more of a comparison to more players when using wow then say EQ2.

But just to make it clear, No one at Trion has been quoted saying this is going to be a WoW killer.

Nice first post! I agree and am also intrigued. Scott Hartsman has the lead on this game and he was the one who introduced some of the best content that EQ2 offered which is encouraging. I honestly don't want a WOW killer. Any game that kills WOW will try and appeal to everyone and make everyone happy. I am hoping that the dynamic content will hold a large customer base but not feel it has to do everything WOW does to gain people and lose it's uniqueness.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I applaud the innovation, but I don't see it being a WoW replacement for those who subscribe to WoW.  I've heard that argument so many times, and have yet to see any game actually bring down the WoW monster.  WoW will run it's course until it is outdated and can't compete with new technology, which will be a long time.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'm sorry did I read a different article? The only thing the devs that were interviewed in the article stated about WoW is how they deliver content. It is the writer of the article and a handful of you posters that are reading beyond this. Don't be hoodwinked into thinking that the devs were focused on replacing WoW when in fact they were not. It makes yourself and the writers seem like your fishing for another scapegoat to latch onto.

What I did draw from the article is that they are going to deliver content through the server instead of the client. Like delivering your meds with a needle instead of ingestation. It equates to a quicker delivery system. Also I like some of the things about their class switching system, it kinda reminds me of FFXI without the mog.

Lastly please try to reframe from making too many generalized statements about WoW's "ease of use".  That's like saying America is a simple country because it's no hassle to live there. But we all know living somewhere doesn't mean you're living the dream. You have to apply yourself in order to make something of yourself and your efforts reflect in your final outcome. A self made millionare and a lottery winner are both rich, but it doesn't mean that they both know how to manage their money without looking like fools with money.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

This article was written in June of last year, and by scifi wire, not a MMORPG site. That alone should ring bells. The other bells rung were that the article's author only compared the game to WoW. That is sad. If I were to compare Rift to any game it would be FFXI. It looks similar graphically and the idea of one character all classes/subclasses is FFXIish as well.

Mind you I think that's a good thing. I love FFXI and wish more games were like it.

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197

Originally posted by elocke
    This article was written in June of last year, and by scifi wire, not a MMORPG site. That alone should ring bells. The other bells rung were that the article's author only compared the game to WoW. That is sad. If I were to compare Rift to any game it would be FFXI. It looks similar graphically and the idea of one character all classes/subclasses is FFXIish as well.

Mind you I think that's a good thing. I love FFXI and wish more games were like it.

It does seem more similar to FFXI as you state, however there won't be multiple classes on one character any longer (in HoT the plan was to allow you to come to town and switch from cleric to rogue for example), but the subclass system might still be in, although it looks to have changed in some unknown way. If anything, I bet the core class bit is more like EQ2 or Vanguard, but who knows - it's all pure conjecture right now since they are being tight lipped.

Anyway, the large portion of WoW players will never leave the game I don't think, so I hope they just work on making a great game.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

NOTHING is going to kill or replace World of Warcraft...

the only thing thats going to do away with it is TIME or some really horrible game changes,which is unlikely.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

having a hard time to get a proper picture of this game, the last few articles it have sounded like nothing more than another quest/instance grinder....could hope am wrong tho, not like they havent brought some good points - their auto looting everyone get something, make sure everyone get the quests related  each rift  is just terrible tho....turn off the brain and spam buttons, plus another thing you wont have to communicate about.

will stay sceptical, just too long ago any MMO brought in something new, that I atleast could get meself to dig deeper into

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

well i didnt call it a WoW killer thats just what the artilcle was called.

graphically it does not campare to FFXI, very few people have seen this game in its true graphical state, in all the new interviews people say "the screen shots do not even come close to giving the graphics in the game justice".

• mhoward48mhoward48 Member UncommonPosts: 99

I am going to give Rift a try. I am hoping it will keep me entertained.  There is still a lot of missing info, hopefully it will be updated after E3.

You know Sean Bean landed the role for George R R Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. The one HBO is making. You sure did a nice job on you sig. I Watched a couple of times.

• EnkmarEnkmar Member Posts: 46

I agree with everyone tat the whole WoW Killer thing is hype and never lives up. In reality, MMOs are never really "killed" by another game, but rather killed by themselves. How many games have you played and loved only to be disenchanted once Generic Expansion Seven was released and turned your virtual world upside down? That's when players move on to the next big game. The legendary "WoW Killer" will be WoW, I imagine.

With that said though, I don't think it'll be Rift necessarily that'll kill any game, but perhaps this new era of games will run out the old era. Rift, Guild Wars 2, The Old Republic are all taking different paths from the generic quest system. I myself -hate- questing. It's a means to an end, anti-social, solo "play" - I use the term play loosely, because it feels more like a chore to me. I look forward to this new wave of games that are going to step away from that more and introduce what, to me, looks like more fun.

So I don't think millions will abandon WoW for Rift, but I do think reasons that AoC, WAR, and Aion didn't do so well is because they follow very closely to the WoW model. People are ready for something new, and unlike the previous new games, this next generation looks like they're actually trying new things.

That's my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Enkmar

I agree with everyone tat the whole WoW Killer thing is hype and never lives up. In reality, MMOs are never really "killed" by another game, but rather killed by themselves. How many games have you played and loved only to be disenchanted once Generic Expansion Seven was released and turned your virtual world upside down? That's when players move on to the next big game. The legendary "WoW Killer" will be WoW, I imagine.

With that said though, I don't think it'll be Rift necessarily that'll kill any game, but perhaps this new era of games will run out the old era. Rift, Guild Wars 2, The Old Republic are all taking different paths from the generic quest system. I myself -hate- questing. It's a means to an end, anti-social, solo "play" - I use the term play loosely, because it feels more like a chore to me. I look forward to this new wave of games that are going to step away from that more and introduce what, to me, looks like more fun.

So I don't think millions will abandon WoW for Rift, but I do think reasons that AoC, WAR, and Aion didn't do so well is because they follow very closely to the WoW model. People are ready for something new, and unlike the previous new games, this next generation looks like they're actually trying new things.

That's my 2 cents.

read the thread before you post no one said anything about WoW killer really, it was just what the article was called.

• EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194

I've quit WoW for a while now, and i'm not a WoW-fanboi, having said that, i dont think anything in the near future can replace WoW. They have too much funding to keep polishing and introducing new content etc compared to companies trying to introduce new mmos. It will take an intense game revolution to "replace" WoW from the perspective of a majority of gaming aspects.

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>