Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vista vs. Windows 7 - 7 Not a Clear Winner?

DavrynDavryn Member Posts: 39

Just caught this on Ten Ton Hammer, an OS comparison of Win 7 and Vista.

I haven't upgraded from XP Pro yet. Seems like Windows 7 is the winner as far as this test goes, but I'm guessing that it's not as conclusive as it might have been because Win 7 is so new. I'll probably wait until more driver updates come along before updating my rig. (Come to think of it, it's probably time for some new hardware, too.)

Thoughts?

Comments

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

I'm using 7 at the moment. It actually improved the running of certain games(such as TF2, which used to freeze for 1-2 seconds on XP, every 40 seconds or so,which became very annoying). And for demanding games like Crysis...it's Crysis, but on max settings, it runs about the same as it runs on XP.

I'd say it's worth it(I didn't have driver problems, but I replaced most of the old stuff).

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Everything I've read basically states there is very little difference between Vista and 7. To be honest, I'm getting a bit disillusioned with Microsoft. They seem to be putting out the same crappy products with a different front end. I'm seriously considering buying a Macbook Pro for my next laptop.

• SomnulusSomnulus Member Posts: 354

My biggest issue with the Vista vs. 7 debate is that I never had any problems with Vista.

I waited and got Vist Ultimate after SP1 released. I installed it on a system I built specifically for Vista. So, right out of the box, it ran beautifully for me and continued to run beautifully right up until I upgraded to Windows 7.

So, now I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate. Other than some minor visual changes and a very minor reduction in start-up time, I haven't really noticed any huge differences at all.

The only things that have annoyed me so far about Windows 7 are:

1. Upon install / upgrade, the Quick Launch is turned off by default. So that was more than mildly disorienting, since I have zero icons on my desktop and major programs I access regularly are in my Quick Launch. So immediately after final restart on the upgrade, I suddenly have no Quick Launch. A minor annoyance, but rather idiotic to turn off something that I clearly had ON for a reason.

2. My major issue with Windows 7 right now; they removed all usability from the Games Explorer; i.e., you cannot right click and change the icon, change command line properties, or anything else actually useful. Do a search some time and see the moronic response given by the Windows 7 team on why they did that.

So I created my own Games Explorer and set it up exactly the way I wanted it. Never understood why any developer would think REMOVING FUNCTIONALITY is a good thing.

Rather, here's an old adage; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Otherwise, for my part, Vista and 7 have run pretty much exactly the same.

Just my two cents.

Abbatoir / Abbatoir Cinq
    Adnihilo
    Beorn Judge's Edge
    Somnulus
    Perfect Black
    ----------------------
    Asheron's Call / Asheron's Call 2
    Everquest / Everquest 2
    Anarchy Online
    Shadowbane
    Dark Age of Camelot