Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allods: FIX the boring combat and we have a winner here.

TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

I was impressed by the videos of screenshots, so I downloaded the game the game,.....  what I see on the game is more than my expectations. I really like what I see from a graphic POV.   But the combat. ... IS TERRIBLE!!.. why o why?  putting so boring and slow combat on a beatifull game is a insult!.   Hope the good guys of Allods change this thing.  Man, It just need a few changes in a database, changing NPC speed here and there (why everything enters mele so fast?) and making killing.. he... more fun, and faster. 

I know theres a billion of MMORPG games with potential, but here we have a MMO that just need 1 hour of work tweaking combat speed to make it fun, to have a winner.  

Comments

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

1 hour of work will not tweak the combat speed to something faster.  The combat is here to stay, At least 1 month of 30+ people working on that may cause a difference.  The combat is designed so the player stays alert and doesn't let autoattack do the work for you, but I do understand your frustration at its pace.  But do be aware that it is not going to change anytime soon.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

It is supposed to change, the Russian version, which is a bit ahead of this version, plays much faster.

• cyandkcyandk Member UncommonPosts: 142

Ill say it again, the combat in the CB is toned down to ensure theres nothing wrong with the skills.

CB is for testing purposes and if it was blazing fast its kinda hard to check every single skill.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

• mckimminsmckimmins Member UncommonPosts: 51

There are only 40 levels so that eases the pain I am sure. But also the combat structure does mean you have to be very alert while you play so it engages me more then other mmo's. And much of the content is desigend for groups. In groups the combat is great and feels perfect to me.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by mckimmins

There are only 40 levels so that eases the pain I am sure. But also the combat structure does mean you have to be very alert while you play so it engages me more then other mmo's. And much of the content is desigend for groups. In groups the combat is great and feels perfect to me.

WTF?

Alert?

Theres nothign to do in the game, just press the same 3 or 4 buttons, theres not strategy, nothing.  Theres more strategy in a bad game lilke Dungeon Siege. 

The way the game plays now, is unplayable to me.  

• mckimminsmckimmins Member UncommonPosts: 51

No autoatack means your character does no damage unless you do a skill. I do not really love or hate it but it does give the combat a very different feel from the majority of the mmos out there. I would not expect huge changes to the combat between now and open beta but the leveling curve is supposed to be alot different once it releases.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Please dont start again with that "autoattack" discussion.... i saw same posts all over again on thousands other topics.... However, i would love that i will prove wrong and that dude, that said that the that combat will be faster, is right.

I will wait till CBT2 begin, to see if anything will change. Till that i will watch how the game develops, follow forums discussions, play some other (single player) RPGs, go outside and ride a bike, catch butterflies etc.

I dont dislike the game, but current state of gameplay dont fit my play style, and i dont mean on lack of auto-attack, instead i support this feature. I just love combat more faster than hit with 2 - 5. 

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710
    Originally posted by Teiman

WTF?

Alert?

Theres nothign to do in the game, just press the same 3 or 4 buttons, theres not strategy, nothing.  Theres more strategy in a bad game lilke Dungeon Siege. 

its not about you having fun, its a damned closed beta, you even know what that means? your supposed to discover flaws and report them, what do you think beta's are for? testing the game!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I want to try this game,but Gpotato has a botched identity recovery system.

What is wrong with combat?So you know i like slowish/realistic combat that allows for thinking.I also like to see realistic damage formulas like bigger slower weapons doing more damage than puny little daggers,that part gets me miffed.

I find it hard to believe anyone can really mess up combat too bad,there has not been much diversity in the area amongst games.Example TCOS did a good botch job creating a boring useless rotating hotbar that i would have to rearrange every time i got a new spell or ability,but not often do i see combat messed up beyond hope.Atlantica had a too fast not so well controlled combat system that played too much like a console game,that i did not like.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Slow combat may sometimes prove fine, but in this case its not realistic. I mean "hell mode" mobs are ok, but it shold be reserved for mid-game and end-game. Not if u are priest lvl 6, for example, and hit mob with a spell once in 10 hits for 4 damage while he owns ur a** with 45-55 every sec with zero miss or dodge chance.

• MellexxMellexx Member Posts: 27

I was impressed by the videos of screenshots, so I downloaded the game the game,.....  what I see on the game is more than my expectations. I really like what I see from a graphic POV.   But the combat. ... IS TERRIBLE!!.. why o why?  putting so boring and slow combat on a beatifull game is a insult!.   Hope the good guys of Allods change this thing.  Man, It just need a few changes in a database, changing NPC speed here and there (why everything enters mele so fast?) and making killing.. he... more fun, and faster. 
    I know theres a billion of MMORPG games with potential, but here we have a MMO that just need 1 hour of work tweaking combat speed to make it fun, to have a winner.  

Exactly How I felt on this. I was talking about this before and other seemed to defend the game saying I was posting BS. Honestly I agree with you 100% it has horrible combat, it took way to long to down a mob and I know what I'm doing when it comes to playing mmos. I'll say it again as long as they fix the combat I honestly will give the game another chance It was kind of nice, but the combat just broke that to the point of unplayable.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

WTF?

Alert?

There is no auto attack that is all. Please grow up.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Well, to be honest, the combat is a little slow. Not FF XI slow (in early levels) but pretty slow. Since there is no auto attack, it seems much more boring for melee people but if you play a spellcaster class the combat doesn't seem that slow anymore. I tried almost all the archtype classes and I have to say the combat speed is fine for the summoner but melee was pretty crappy. 3 second cooldown on your normal attack is just way too slow.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

WTF?

Alert?

Nice ...

Could someone describe the combat in this game please. Is it shitty EQ / WOW style or more freeform like Darkfall / Mortal Online? If it is a button masher then I will forget this game. If you do not know how Darkfall and Mortal Online play then it is anything like Oblivion?

• xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

The combat is basic hotbar pressing. There is no auto attack so once the mob get up on you, your pretty much just limited to your skills on your hotbar. Killing gets faster and faster as you level. At level 10 and can rip through level 10 and below in a matter of seconds on my summoner. You cannot kill mobs over your level due to the level scale of the game. Fighting a level 12-13 mob at level 10 would be the same as fighting a "red" mob in any other game. A few well placed talent speced classes can do it, but for most it's probably going to result in a death.

Like stated before, the OP needs to understand that the CB isn't here for people's "enjoyment" but for players to play the game (at a much slower pace) and report any issues they have with levels 1-10. CBT2 will test levels 11-20. Posts like this give people that are not playing the wrong impression that the game is quote "unplayable" when in fact that's so far from the truth.

It's easier to test skills if you can shoot off 3 skills on a rotation of 3-4 times instead of using the rotation once and the mob is dead. How do you test that? The mob is dead before you have time to think about it. Different mobs have different hit points, def rating, and different attacks so making them last longer you can get a better feel for the combat scale. If something seems off in that scale, say, a same level mob almost killing you in one shot, then that could qualify as a bug post.

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Just look at the first few pages on this forum.

It's clear the TTK will tank this game unless it's artificially lowered right now for beta (which has NOT been confirmed by devs),

Originally posted by Saorlan

Originally posted by Frostbite05

WTF?

Alert?

Nice ...

Could someone describe the combat in this game please. Is it shitty EQ / WOW style or more freeform like Darkfall / Mortal Online? If it is a button masher then I will forget this game. If you do not know how Darkfall and Mortal Online play then it is anything like Oblivion?

I will have to dissapoint you.. but this game IS button masher like WoW/EQ/LoTRO etc etc etc... So if you look Elder Scrolls or Darkfall combat style, then this isnt game for you .

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

http://allods-forum.gpotato.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1461

gets better as you level up looks like.

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by ghaleonx128

http://allods-forum.gpotato.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1461

gets better as you level up looks like.

I was sorta interested in the game.... But now I'm not. With gpotato games, you literally can't enjoy the game without buying crap in their store. If the gameplay is something decent right now, it's sure to get worse by the time they release it with the item store fully in place.

Hate to say that before even trying the game out... Unfortunately, Rappelz and Flyff make sad examples of what's to come.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• Suomalainen1Suomalainen1 Member Posts: 19

WTF?

Alert?

Since when has MMORPG combat had strategy lol

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314
    Originally posted by Suomalainen1

WTF?

Alert?

Since when has MMORPG combat had strategy lol

Ultima Online (pre T2A) :) Timing bandaged heals, steal reg's/arrows from other player in PvP, explosion pots (purple goo!), mana management (specially if you wanted to play tank mage), posioning of weapons, need to watch the cure pots in case of afore mentioned poison. stealing cure pots then poisoning lol. I miss when combat was meaningful and entertaining. Now days it requires no thought and happens way to fast. This is what has me pissed at what LoTRO is doing in the next Xpac (speeding combat up.... it was just fine before..) and one of the main reasons I quit (besides forced raiding in end game to stay on par with the Kin).

It goes to show the state of current MMO players when you have someone complain about a 3-4 sec skill cooldown... ROFL! I really hope this game does not take the same direction as the rest of the trash MMOs out there that doesn't put any focus on combat as has been happening since WoW. For the love of all that is dear DO NOT make this another button mashing fest with next to no cooldowns.

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• kellerman24kellerman24 Member Posts: 87

First sorry for the necro, but it just googled it for me (this thread that is ;)

All I can say combat in this game is very, very, very BORING ... what makes it very very very SLOW! Everytime when I'm killing a mob I ask myself 'did the devs just do that on purpouse so I can spend more time with the game?' - a very very very bad move.

I'm usually a patient guy, but combat pace in this game is defnitely not fun .... maybe if I would get to high levels, but still it's too painfull ...

I admit I didn't play it for quite some time, about 2-3 months ago .... so did they change something? Or the combat stayed the same?

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by kellerman24

First sorry for the necro, but it just googled it for me (this thread that is ;)

All I can say combat in this game is very, very, very BORING ... what makes it very very very SLOW! Everytime when I'm killing a mob I ask myself 'did the devs just do that on purpouse so I can spend more time with the game?' - a very very very bad move.

I'm usually a patient guy, but combat pace in this game is defnitely not fun .... maybe if I would get to high levels, but still it's too painfull ...

I admit I didn't play it for quite some time, about 2-3 months ago .... so did they change something? Or the combat stayed the same?

Dude,

Try making it past level 10, let alone getting to level 20.  Because honestly, you speak nonsense.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

• PurpleCliffPurpleCliff Member UncommonPosts: 156

The combat is slightly faster than WoW which is fine with me. Maybe you guys should try a different class?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Hydroblunt

Originally posted by kellerman24

Dude,

Try making it past level 10, let alone getting to level 20.  Because honestly, you speak nonsense.

Agreed.  Combat speeds up around lv 15.  As of now, I'm a lv 20 going on 21 warrior, and combat can be over in like 2-3 seconds for me (though if I miss with my opening attacks, it can go on for 15 seconds).  I honestly don't see it as slow.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?