Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lack of content does not equal Sandbox

1235»

Comments

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

No worries mate, pretty good thoughts there, although you will probably agree with me when I say they are pretty idealistic.

Fact is: people are ego-centered. Even when they group in any MMO, they do it basically for their own self-improvement (better gear, fame, winning over another guild/faction etc.). That's too human to be possible to deviate from, even in a game.

Progression is actually a problem for the so-called HC people: those who I mentioned. They progress faster than others, and in most games there is only a certain point up till where you can progress at all. Then they stop in progression, and of course lose interest. Developers can either slow down progression with extending the content at higher levels (with cap increase), or have no cap (but this would mean requiring to add insane grind to slow down progression).... let's face it, the majority (and now I'm talking about a HUGE, massive majority, no doubt) needs that carrot stick. The competitive HC player's carrot stick is PVP ownage, for the casual player it's the story, but ALSO progression, as casuals love better gear/skills just like anyone else.

To be honest, those who have the fastest progression, and even those who cry for the ultimate game would be VERY disappointed if they were handed a real sandbox game, since by their definition a real sandbox game does not only lack pre-made content (impossible, it would be a blank sheet than with only some mechanics - you can't create an armor if the armor was not pre-designed by the devs!), but it would also lack of any progression, as progression itself can only be expressed/visualized in so many ways in an MMO: Gear. Skills. Areas to discover. What else is there, if there is no progression? I think this question might be rhetoric.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Question: Can you pvp everywhere you want even in capital city? (I dont care if there are guards or not that might stop you) If not, its not a sandbox. As long that you are not free to do anything you want from day 1, its not a sandbox. Darkfall is a sandbox because nothing stop you to do anything you want.

No class do not equal sandbox, but no class+No lvl equal a sandbox. Since FE got lvl, its not a sandbox because i bet that you need a lvl range to proceed in some stuff in FE.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Question: Can you pvp everywhere you want even in capital city? (I dont care if there are guards or not that might stop you) If not, its not a sandbox. As long that you are not free to do anything you want from day 1, its not a sandbox. Darkfall is a sandbox because nothing stop you to do anything you want.
    No class do not equal sandbox, but no class+No lvl equal a sandbox. Since FE got lvl, its not a sandbox because i bet that you need a lvl range to proceed in some stuff in FE.

Yes, according to your very bright philosophy EVE online is not a sandbox either, because you cannot fly a Mothership the first day.

Even Sandboxes have a form of levels in disguise. Otherwise you have no progression. Be it in levels in each skill you need to increase by doing something.

Or in FE's case, leveling up to acquire AP points so you can spend it to increase various skills.

Or in EVE Online's case, leveling up skills in realtime learning.

Darkfail is no different!

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Vaedur

This game is not sandbox... not at all. . just because there is nothing to really do for groups does NOT mean it's sandbox.. it has a CLEAR progression through 3 zones.. it's as sandbox as any other game out there.....
    I still really really wish they didn't screw this one up... it could have been the greatest mmo on the market.. oh so so so easy, no insenative to do anything.. instead we got a niche game that a few people are spouting as the greatest of all time, but alas, read the Fallen earth forums, and see those people are starting to come around, people talking about not seeing others as much, etc..

I really hope the  Earthrise developers are looking closely at the mistakes of FE

anywho got off topic.. but this game really isn't sandbox, i have no idea why people say it is.

Seeing what your playing at the moment and what your waiting for, your words have zero credibility

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.