Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth comming back.

UlafUlaf Member UncommonPosts: 33

I have been thinking of playing around with LoTR again. I have a 50 minstrel, I have missed MoM all together and now SoM.  I dont mind soloing but like to group, which sounds kind of hard to do atm in this game.  Am I to far behind the curve to really do much? At some point I would like to raid and see more of the end game but I am not sure if that is going to be possible based on some of the threads I have been reading around MoM gear and grouping.

I am on Arkanstone (sp)? sever I am guessing most severs still are kind of active. I left mostly due to being bored at 50 since there was not much left to do at that time and the Kin I was with all left for the flavor to the month, WAR maybe, dont remember but I have been just drfting around looking for a fun PVE game.  I am burnt out on VG and EQ2 and have no plans to go back to them. 

Any thoughts from ppl playing would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Look for something different.  If you end up going back and spending cash on something that you've already grown tired of, you'll find the same environment, game-play and content that, well, you grew tired of.

Choose something different to evaluate and spend some entertainment cash on.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

Not being able to group i think has more to do with people in your kinship not being very social.

Either way, we just went back to lotro and most of us are lvl 30-35 right now, you are welcome to join us ;)

In february many of us will try STO

http://www.gunbad.com

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

I agree that being lvl 50 before MoM was very boring and alot of people left back then because lack of "end game".

In my opinion its much better now and grouping is made more important for higher levels and there is now progression after reaching the level cap. I consider lvl 50-60 to be the best content in the game but not every one likes leveling in Moria ;)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Papadam

I agree that being lvl 50 before MoM was very boring and alot of people left back then because lack of "end game".
    In my opinion its much better now and grouping is made more important for higher levels and there is now progression after reaching the level cap. I consider lvl 50-60 to be the best content in the game but not every one likes leveling in Moria ;)

Moria is actually pretty cool if you dont mind being lost most of the time  :). In fact, after you wander around lost for a couple of levels the place actually starts to get a bit easier to explore, but your right. I heard a kinsman just the other day say they hated the place and would try and level without ever going back in.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Moria is actually pretty cool if you dont mind being lost most of the time  :). In fact, after you wander around lost for a couple of levels the place actually starts to get a bit easier to explore, but your right. I heard a kinsman just the other day say they hated the place and would try and level without ever going back in.

To me that's just the way Moria should be. Although, it's not quite for the same reasons as it should be. If you played before they changed the old forest, You didnt 'want' to go there, just as in the books, the Hobbits didnt want to go in there. And it really captured the same reasons and feelings the the book portrayed. It was an amazing thing to experience in a video game. Games don't have to be all fun, just like movies don't have to be comedies.  It was a shame to see it changed.

Moria is 'sort of like that', but it's not the same. Good expansion, loved seeing a virtual moria and going through it, but the game has a different feel to it now. Im hoping it's just because of  making so much content in moria kinda of made moria hard to "lose yourself" in the way other areas in the old game did. Hope the next installment will get back to the original feel, or an even better one. The content and art were amazing though. If you are a Tolkien fan, this will probably be the only virtual middle earth, and for the most part, it is extremely well done. Don't get many chances as gamers to experience that.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

To me that's just the way Moria should be. Although, it's not quite for the same reasons as it should be. If you played before they changed the old forest, You didnt 'want' to go there, just as in the books, the Hobbits didnt want to go in there. And it really captured the same reasons and feelings the the book portrayed. It was an amazing thing to experience in a video game. Games don't have to be all fun, just like movies don't have to be comedies.  It was a shame to see it changed.

Moria is 'sort of like that', but it's not the same. Good expansion, loved seeing a virtual moria and going through it, but the game has a different feel to it now. Im hoping it's just because of  making so much content in moria kinda of made moria hard to "lose yourself" in the way other areas in the old game did. Hope the next installment will get back to the original feel, or an even better one. The content and art were amazing though. If you are a Tolkien fan, this will probably be the only virtual middle earth, and for the most part, it is extremely well done. Don't get many chances as gamers to experience that.

As a point of note, when I got to speak to Steefel at Pax, he mentioned the "old forest" incident.

The person who designed the original old forest, the one that you and I liked, was a more old school gamer. After people started to complain, Steefel went to the designer and told him that "no", getting lost is not fun for many people. So he was asked to redesign it.

I have to say that I enjoyed moria but it really wasn't what I wanted. I wanted a giant mine where I could get lost, where there was danger around and not grand central statioin where everywhere I looked there was some player running past or fighting a mob. If the world of middle earth were real and I passed someone stuck in moria fighting a worg, I would be rusning to his/her aid. But in "game middle earth" That's his mob so don't interfere.

Same with the goat travel system. Cute, but I think that if the free people's had more of these goats they would surely have won the war without needing to destroy the ring. After all, if I'm on one of these goats I can whiz right by all the big baddies and they don't even see me or ignore me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GidSlackGidSlack Member Posts: 173

I have been  playing for a month, and so far have had no problem grouping.  The most I've had to wait to do a fellowship quest (non-Epic) was once for four days (and this for one that was notorious for being long with poor rewards).  The rest I've been able to do the same day I started advertising for them, or the next.

As always though, you have to be socialable and outgoing to put together PUGs (using the social panel helps).

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

I have to say that I enjoyed moria but it really wasn't what I wanted. I wanted a giant mine where I could get lost, where there was danger around and not grand central statioin where everywhere I looked there was some player running past or fighting a mob.

Thats exactly what Moria is to me! I get lost all the time and really feel that their is dangers everywhere and one misstake means death. FOr me its a unique MMO experience that no game comes close to. I tihnk most people hate MOria because its to hard and frustrating for them. Just like the old old forest (which I loved aswell).

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

If you didn't like SoA end-game at level 50, then I can hardly see how could you possible enjoy the level 60 Moria end-game. There's not more instances or raids to run (less), and there's a gating - radiance progression which you must follow in order to progress. Each class has basically one set pre-raid and one set after raid. Crafting  gotten worse in power, PvMP gear is absolutely obsolete, and you will see people riding goats around Middle Earth.

REALITY CHECK