Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To boldy pew pew where no one has *exploding truck* nyaww kaBOOM

So every video I've seen so far has stuff blowing up in it or people running around with phasers. The storyline is about war and yeah it's a video game so it's going to have a lot of combat in it.

It really looks like this game is going to be a wasted oppourtunity. If they take an IP which isn't combat focused into the MMO genre (which potentially can offer a lot more to do than mere combat.) and turn it into something less than it could be.

Cryptic really haven't got a track record of offering much to do in their games that isn't the mindless killing of sprites. Their crafting systems are hardly robust. They've mentioned exploration as something but I've seen nothing to dissaude me that this will amount to more than finding a new local to blow stuff up at.

I want to be lost in a Star Trek world more than anyone but it's just not going to happen for me if all I get to do is kill stuff. Someone give me something to get excited about, please.

Currently Playing: The Game

Comments

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Not from this game. Not that I have seen.

I hope this one dies fast.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Label_ThisLabel_This Member Posts: 171

You're so right. I just wish another company was having a go at this rather than Cryptic. They really should just stick to comedic superhero games.

I get this  weird stench of 'Champions Online'  whenever i watch one of their newly released preview videos. I'm pretty sure i saw those annoying black lines around all the characters on their 'bridge gameplay' video. How annoying.

It's Cryptic Trek not Star Trek.

Why are there so many cutesie, fantasy, childish MMO's. Give me blood, gore and a long lasting challenge. I don't need my hand being held along the way. Thanks.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Their version of Trek is like turning the Dune saga into a short story. So much potential, done in such a shallow way.

This is such an obvious money grab, that I have no respect for any of the devs making it.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Honestly I think we still have to wait and see what the game is like before we can confirm or deny any fears we might have about this game.

Also I just had to post in the thread because that is the best title ever   lol.

I still can't stop laughing!

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Star Trek should be about exploration and discovery, not just blasting stuff.  Seeking out new life and new civilizations and all that.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

Pretty much every game that takes the name of a popular IP is an expected mediocre game at best. Rather than trying to make a game that holds true to the name it is given. Devs create a half arsed game that uses its popular IP to get more costomers. Take a look at some of the current popular IP MMOs and see how well they went.

SWG...we saw it once good...but now...lol

AoC....LOL.

LotR...not bad...but still missed the mark

I am also going with SGW and KoToR both missing the mark of the IP they are trying to recreate. But that is just my opinion...not to be taken as fact...as some of you fanboys will get all huffy.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

Seeking out new life and new civilizations... to kill them!

Standard Cryptic game design. Why do I suddenly have the feeling that someday STO will be used as an example to congress of why video games make kids violent?

• TycaliburTycalibur Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Blurr

Honestly I think we still have to wait and see what the game is like before we can confirm or deny any fears we might have about this game.
    Also I just had to post in the thread because that is the best title ever   lol.

I still can't stop laughing!

If all Cryptic has touted so far is what we have to go by, then this title is already going to tank. 

They'de better have a major rabbit under their hats.  One that's impossibly amazing.  Because all I see so far is Cryptic doing what personally amazes and entertains them, not necessarily us.

Having played over half a dozen MMOs in the last decade, I've heard the line 'wait and see' too many times, and every time I've heard it, it's the famous last words.

One lesson MMORPG makers don't seem to learn is you do NOT release a game that isn't finished.

Like I've said in two threads...Matrix Online.  Enough said.

I will however, agree with you that the title of this thread is hilarious.  All other points will be incorrect.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Lol, funny thread title :) Have no clue about OP's assumptions though.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Well, I'm still laughing at your title. It relates what's bugging you about the game so efficiently that you might as well leave the post itself blank and we'd still get you :)

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

If it helps at all, here's some quotes from the devs:

"Establish contact with new races, discover resources and uncover mysteries that will influence Star Trek's future."

"Kits are acquired through mission rewards and exploration."

" <CrypticZinc> There are rare Bridge Officers as well. Some that you'll only get access to when you do high-end content, some you'll get through luck and exploration. "

"Craig "Zinc" Zinkievich (executive producer): Exploration will never take a backseat in Star Trek Online. Heck – in all the series, Starfleet is always sending captains off to chart new systems or classify nebulas. So we don't view exploration as a "break" from other gameplay – it's integral. Expect to be encouraged to boldly go! And as an incentive to explore space, discovering new civilizations is one of the major ways to open up new resources and equipment and make new alien recruits available to you, your fleet and your faction!"

"Will there be unique items and equipment to find in the galaxy? Yes! There will be new items to find during your adventures as well as the ability to create new items or improve existing ones. Sometimes you will need to unlock skills to be able to use a piece of technology you have found. Or if you acquire a new kind of alien technology you may need to study it before you can use it. But if you’re asking about super-secret, super-special items of which there is only one in the entire universe, if we have items like that they will be revealed during play."

Also I seem to remember someone saying there will be diplomatic missions and race relations having an effect on you, but I can't remember where I saw that, nor have I been able to find any proof that it's something the devs said yet.

While that probably doesn't do much to assuage your fears, hopefully at least it will show you that they are keeping it in mind during development.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• LektronikLektronik Member Posts: 28

I'm not too crazy about Cryptic myself.  Champion's Online was pathetic.  It had nice visuals and animations but lacked content sorely (when I played at least).  And I recall at one time their CO servers died during the weekend and had been down for several hours (6+ hours) with not even an official word as to the awareness of the problem. 

I have a hard time respecting a company who lacks the ability to communicate effectively with me.

That said, I'm willing to give Cryptic another shot simply because I am a big fan of Star Trek. 

We may be seeing a lot of combat in the videos right now, but that may be just because watching stuff get blown up is more appealing to the masses of viewers than watching someone knit a uniform.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

No one is asking for uniform knitting.

But they have already shown us so many combat videos it is becoming rather pointless to continue down that road. You can only watch a Miranda class ship blow up the same three Klingons so many times before there is nothing new to be learned about the game that way.

People would LOVE to see some examples of how the crafting works, how the character creation process works, how bridge officers work, how inventory will work, how the economy will work, how their greatly hyped "genesis" system will work... in other words how every other possible aspect of the game will work aside from the combat.

And yet all we get is more explosions. Can you blame people for assuming that is all the game has to offer?

• Slashed316Slashed316 Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Raltar

But they have already shown us so many combat videos it is becoming rather pointless to continue down that road. You can only watch a Miranda class ship blow up the same three Klingons so many times before there is nothing new to be learned about the game that way.
    People would LOVE to see some examples of how the crafting works, how the character creation process works, how bridge officers work, how inventory will work, how the economy will work, how their greatly hyped "genesis" system will work... in other words how every other possible aspect of the game will work aside from the combat.
    And yet all we get is more explosions. Can you blame people for assuming that is all the game has to offer?

Perfectly put!

• LektronikLektronik Member Posts: 28

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I would like to see some videos on social areas and activities as well as more info on Genesis and the economy.  Crafting has never been my cup of tea, but I wouldn't complain if a crafting vid showed up too.

Right now though, they are still working on getting the game up to open beta standards (and probably adding a lot more content as well).  The teaser vids that we see now aren't meant to explain what the whole game has to offer.  Their purpose is only to keep our interest while they buff out the rough edges in the game.  We'll probably see more of the videos that explain crafting and Genesis nearer to open beta.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Seeking out new life and new civilizations... to kill them!
    Standard Cryptic game design.

Yeah I can see it now.

Starfleet Command: Your Mission is to kill 20 Romulans and then report back.

Capt Quirk: KK

This game will die faster than a Red Shirt on an Away mission

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

I saw this title, and knew I had to get in on this... It reminds me of Michael Bay in South Park.

I don't know what to expect from this game, so I'm not genuinely anticipating it, just watching.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Nikopol

Well, I'm still laughing at your title. It relates what's bugging you about the game so efficiently that you might as well leave the post itself blank and we'd still get you :)

Agreed. The title pretty much said it all, and in a hilarious manner at that. :)

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?