Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic Talks Star Trek Online's Space Combat, Away Missions, and Competing with WoW

Comments

• DanaDarkDanaDark Member Posts: 125

Worth noting that in Star Trek... they actually give a benefit for losing your ship. Kirk became captain again and regained command of the Enterprise... Picard got a brand new shiny vessel, which was the most advanced in the fleet, after his first officer lost the ship in a battle to a glorified torpedo launcher (bird of prey).

I wouldn't want to see a perma death of your character, but I'd like it for the Bridge officers, making us want to protect them.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by grandpagamer
    So what would be your suggestion?  How about you respawn on an asteroid and mine enough ore to craft a new ship, then hitchhike to the nearest starbase and begin crafting? 

Hmm, I think it would require more than Robinson Crusoe to make a space-worthy ship. Even a life boat type.

What I would suggest is three possible outcomes to a space combat - victory, escape, catastrophic failure. At some point in a losing battle, the captain has the option to warp out of the conflict - sacrificing any related quest progress and skill/xp points gained for that mission. If he stays, then his ship is at risk. A captain losing his ship is downgraded in his command rating and assigned a lesser ship.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I think people are overreacting too quickly at the slightest thing here. You notice he didn't actually talk about diplomacy in the quesiton that everyone was so worried about, and I think as someone pointed out, it might have been a joking manner. So while they have talked about trying to get diplomacy in the game before, I haven't seen anywhere that they've denied it so far.

That being said, putting in a diplomacy system can't be easy. If it's all pre-scripted, then everyone can just follow the trail and get all the good reputation. Creating a fully fleshed out diplomacy system can't be easy, I mean I can't really think of an MMO that's actually done it. Vanguard had a system with a lot of potential, but they couldn't get it implemented fully. Add to that the fact that STO is going from Closed beta to launch in the space of 4 months or so, and it's a very precarious thing altogether.

I think maybe just wait to play the game before you get too worked up about there being no diplomacy.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• MorrokMorrok Member Posts: 130

@the death-issue:
    Perma-death is bad, really bad.
    Insta-respawn at no loss whatsoever is the other extreme, which is just as bad.
    To ME, anything that costs a (limited) amount of online time to "recover" is ok.
    10mins might not do it, but 2hrs "loss" is the maximum for me, really - that is half a night's playtime if not more already.
    I'm looking forward to see how they are tackling this issue.

@the "diplomacy vs combat" issue:
    Combat is simply that much easier to implement than (decent) diplomacy, so i guess that is why they are taking that route.
    And the ST shows are very much about "WAR" and "Combat", (almost) all the time:
    The Borg were fought, not talked to much. the Dominion as well, to mention just two major opponents. Even in episodes where they reached a diplomatic solution it went seldom without any violence at all.
    What it comes down to, for me, is HOW they implement stuff (mechanic- and story-wise).

The only thing i am REALLY concerned about, and which might provide "the" reason for me NOT to play STO is this though:

MPC: What do you think about different business models, like opting for micro-transactions instead of subscriptions?
    CZ: We like the subscription model, and will probably be using that in the near term. We are looking at micro-transactions and how that would work – Star Trek will have micro-transactions, but most of those will be cosmetic things. Some will augment gameplay, but won’t replace any gameplay.
    "mostly cosmetic" and "augmented gameplay"...
    Either i pay a subscription fee, and if i do then i EXPECT to have "full" gameplay (i.e. no need nor room for "augmentation" ) or i do NOT pay a subscription fee, in which case i would expect itemsales or something (but not play the game in the first place).
    I simply refuse to pay for a sub only to be coerced or otherwise "made" to pay even more for virtual stuff i then do not even own.
    Not to mention the ever-present "danger" (real-existing threat actually) that they will - over time - expand their item-sales to more impacting stuff to maximize revenues, thereby diminishing or completely nullify the effort of the "non-paying crowd".
    ANY game where you can "bypass" content or time or whatever with cash is not worth playing in the first place:

The point of a game (from a players perspective) is to have FUN.
    And that fun is based in a large amount on equal "footing" for all involved.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Grakel

Really, one question that should have been asked after this:
    MPC: What about playing as the Klingons

CZ: We’re not ready to reveal too much, but the Klingon gameplay will be drastically different from the Federation. It’ll open up a couple of hours into the game, and will be more PVP focused.
    You have to play as Federation to get to the Klingon content?
    Besides that some question of the obvious worries from Start Trek fans should have been made.

I read somewhere that the Klingon part opens after the tutorial... but I agree with you, I'd prefer a Klingon tutiorial and play from the start.

Originally posted by thinktank001

Originally posted by grandpagamer

So what would be your suggestion?  How about you respawn on an asteroid and mine enough ore to craft a new ship, then hitchhike to the nearest starbase and begin crafting? 

How about forcing giving a player the choice to permadeath ( go down with the ship ) their char or " pod " into space and drift until someone discovers the pod ( semi - permadeath ).  

That would be an interesting game mechanic I think.

You can have perma-death - just delete your character and start again if you die, problem solved.

People always think they are smart when they suggest deleting a character to simulate perma-death. The reality is it makes you look very foolish to suggest such.

• UndepthUndepth Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by DanaDark

People always think they are smart when they suggest deleting a character to simulate perma-death. The reality is it makes you look very foolish to suggest such.

I rather liked his suggestion.

I think what they should do is you have to put your upgraded main ship in space dock for a certain amount of time, say thirty minutes. In the meanwhile you would have to use your lesser ship which would be upgraded with spare parts.  They still are planning to let you keep your older ships right? 

1. I know I'm smart.

2. My opinion is the only one that matters.

3. It's only a game, get over yourself.

Originally posted by flatline29

I think what they should do is you have to put your upgraded main ship in space dock for a certain amount of time, say thirty minutes. In the meanwhile you would have to use your lesser ship which would be upgraded with spare parts.  They still are planning to let you keep your older ships right? 

What? I sure as hell hope not. More than one ship to a captain?

Can someone confirm this? Are captains going to 'own' more than one ship? This is silliness beyond lunacy.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Can someone confirm this? Are captains going to 'own' more than one ship? This is silliness beyond lunacy.

I can dig up the quote, but they've said any ship you've ever had to maintain access to.  You can go to a Starbase and switch out.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I didnt realise STO was going to have a cash shop. 

And what happens to your ship when you go on away missions? Does it hang there and is attackable, or does it vanish when you "beam down"?

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

Originally posted by Drachasor

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

I can dig up the quote, but they've said any ship you've ever had to maintain access to.  You can go to a Starbase and switch out.

It's in the article that the OP quoted.

Originally posted by jayanti

I didnt realise STO was going to have a cash shop. 
    And what happens to your ship when you go on away missions? Does it hang there and is attackable, or does it vanish when you "beam down"?

It will vanish in some fashion (warp out, disappear, or something like that.  They haven't decided on exact looks).

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by PwnedSideway

This is why MMOs fail. Producers and Developers need to stop thinking about contending with WoW and instead think about making a game that caters to its fans and not everyone. As soon as people get out of this mindset we will have more success.
    When a company talks about how they want to compete with WoW is when I decide that I am not going to buy that game at release, but rather wait to see what the the fans think of their game.

it was Maximum PC who mentioned WoW not Crpytic infact they strayed away from those types of questions during the interview.

Not to mention they also specifically stated they have no interest in competing with WoW for players (Which is terrific news and keeps WoW players away lol... no offense to the 2 or 3 good WoW players out there!)

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257

Not to mention they also specifically stated they have no interest in competing with WoW for players (Which is terrific news and keeps WoW players away lol... no offense to the 2 or 3 good WoW players out there!)

Exactly some people need to read the article, before posting..

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Sarbocabras

This point can't be emphasized enough. This article talks in depth about topics that some folks have been claiming haven't been covered enough.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

This point can't be emphasized enough. This article talks in depth about topics that some folks have been claiming haven't been covered enough.

Yes, the part where they say they designed two whole games "ground combat" and "space combat" is particularly telling.  The Prime Directive being something they ignore (do they not understand that "Who Watches the Watchers?" is one of the best episodes of Star Trek ever?)  They honestly don't say all that much about what they've specifically implemented besides some combat stuff.

Yes, the part where they say they designed two whole games "ground combat" and "space combat" is particularly telling.  The Prime Directive being something they ignore (do they not understand that "Who Watches the Watchers?" is one of the best episodes of Star Trek ever?)  They honestly don't say all that much about what they've specifically implemented besides some combat stuff.

Wow. Only someone with a predisposed disposition towards the game could come away from all that with " It's all about combat."

Wow. Only someone with a predisposed disposition towards the game could come away from all that with " It's all about combat."

Oh really?  Then why don't you provide me with a quote from that interview that indicates otherwise.  Even the examples they give you of missions ALWAYS seem to have a hostile force involved or implied (the later when they are being very vague).

Or are you counting the customizing part as the non-combat element?

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

LOL at most of you... I actually think the game is shaping up nicely but then again I've been expecting this to be a game from the very beginning and not some alternate reality Star Trek life simulator. This game sounds like it will be enjoyable and fun... you know, the whole point of a game in the first place?!? You guys just go on griping though as it's entertaining to say the least... "OMG, This game is gonna suck and fail because it isn't the Star Trek fantasy life simulator I cooked up in my own mind!!!" ... LOL

You guys remind me of some of the die hard Star Trek fans after the last film. "OMG, this film is an action packed thrill ride that everyone can enjoy!!! That isn't Star Trek!!!" ... LOL

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Oh really?  Then why don't you provide me with a quote from that interview that indicates otherwise.  Even the examples they give you of missions ALWAYS seem to have a hostile force involved or implied (the later when they are being very vague).

Or are you counting the customizing part as the non-combat element?

• Configurations of the Ships 
    • Yes, there are 16 total configurations total, from three ship classes with five ships in each tier, plus the first Light Cruiser. But within each configuration, we want you to be able to customize your ship’s appearance

MISSIONS

• And what kinds of things are you doing on away missions? Just killing everyone?
      • CZ: Just think of all the myriad things you’ve seen in an episode of Star Trek. For example, after you dispatch Klingon ships above a planet, you may have to beam down to the planet to save the locals from the Klingon landing party. Some missions ask you to recover artifacts and others have you following people back in time.

LOOT

• MPC: What type of loot will you be able to collect from missions and random exploration?
      • CZ: With bridge officers, they all have a paper doll that needs to be equipped with armor, personal shields, weapons, and other tools, which you’ll find on your missions. The same goes with your own character avatar. There are plenty of items and loot that you’ll find within the game, which you can sell or trade at spaceports. You can even find potential bridge officers.

GROUPING

MPC: Will you be allowed to team up with friends who are at a much higher or lower level than your character?

• CZ: The missions themselves are set level, and you can bring in a range of levels to play in them. Like City of Heroes, we have a sidekick system that lets your team scale to one level, with the experience rewards scaled along the same line as well.

Player Progression

• CZ: We don’t have levels, per se. We have five ranks in the game, ranging from Lieutenant to Admiral. Each of those has 10 sub-ranks, so that ends up being 50 “levels.” And that’s indicated by the pins on your uniform, just like on the show.

Socialization

• MPC: You mentioned spaceports. Do you mean space stations like Deep Space Nine?
      • CZ: There are several large social hubs within the game. Earth Space Dock is probably the largest one for the Federation. That’s where you go to repair your ship, visit the auction house, and get access to new ships. There are major ones like Deep Space Nine, and minor ones like Memory Alpha, which have similar amenities.

The last part of Page 3 into page 4 talks about how the Genesis System works, but I'm thru pasting for you. I think you skimmed the first two pages and just threw up your hands saying "nothing but combat"

I couldn't help but notice this in the comments portion:

"One hint for Cryptic, don't listen too delicately to your audience, 95% of MMO forums is bellyaching. I loved WOW for years but after reading the forums for so long I got pretty sick of the people that post on there. Hell that's all game forums I guess."

Originally posted by Brenelael

LOL at most of you... I actually think the game is shaping up nicely but then again I've been expecting this to be a game from the very beginning and not some alternate reality Star Trek life simulator. This game sounds like it will be enjoyable and fun... you know, the whole point of a game in the first place?!? You guys just go on griping though as it's entertaining to say the least... "OMG, This game is gonna suck and fail because it isn't the Star Trek fantasy life simulator I cooked up in my own mind!!!" ... LOL
    The thing is - persistent world MMORPGs are supposed to be alternate reality world simulators. Not just games. Star Trek is not a game. It is an alternate universe.

You guys remind me of some of the die hard Star Trek fans after the last film. "OMG, this film is an action packed thrill ride that everyone can enjoy!!! That isn't Star Trek!!!" ... LOL

Bren

Star Trek isn't for everyone. When you dilute it to make it more palatable for the masses, you remove what is special about it.

BTW, I just watched the new movie a few hours ago, and I have no major complaints about it. I thought the Sulu and Scott actors looked wrong for their roles, but Kirk, Uhura, and especially McCoy, were fine.