Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age, PC or Xbox?

2»

Comments

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

PC hands down.  There is no advantage that goes in favor of the Xbox... outside of it being easier.

• DeViLzzz2007DeViLzzz2007 Member Posts: 107

I can't imagine wanting to play either as this game has you control a whole party of 5 characters.  This might as well be called RTS which is a real pain in the butt.  I have tried similar games in the past and they always are slowing moving and fail when compared to games like WOW or Oblivion.   I recommend not playing Dragon Age .. 

Money is the root of all evil.

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by DeViLzzz2007

I can't imagine wanting to play either as this game has you control a whole party of 5 characters.  This might as well be called RTS which is a real pain in the butt.  I have tried similar games in the past and they always are slowing moving and fail when compared to games like WOW or Oblivion.   I recommend not playing Dragon Age .. 

Wrong about the party size (it's 4 members, not 5 ) and don't have the first clue what an RTS is ( unless you consider Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic RTS games, which would still mean you don't know what an RTS is ). So your recommendation is duly noted and discarded.

image]image

• SpyridonZSpyridonZ Member Posts: 289

as the above poster said, this game is 4 characters.

Also, it's nothing like an RTS. This game is much more similar to an MMO where you could control all 4 party members, and in exchange for having to control 4 members you could pause the game to slow it down and give all your characters instructions.

Especially compared to the older bioware games - this is a big step in the MMO direction - ul be using  tanks to taunt, mages to cc, rogues to trap/dps, line of sight pulling enemies on hard fights, etc.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

First - Why would you compare a single-player game to an MMO? Are you out of your mind?

Second - RTS genre is the commanding of armies (generally) and this game you command a group of heroes. Much like in Final Fantasy, or let's just stay with the company like Neverwinter Nights, Mass Effect or KotOR.

It appears that you didn't enjoy or like this game, which leads me to believe you don't like good games, hence you are saying WoW is somehow better than Dragon Age. I can't understand this, Dragon Age simply is the best RPG I have played Elder Scrolls III, and I love it more than that. The lore.. the characters, they are so immersive, so much more immersive than any MMO I have played.

Originally posted by luciusETRUR

First - Why would you compare a single-player game to an MMO? Are you out of your mind?

Second - RTS genre is the commanding of armies (generally) and this game you command a group of heroes. Much like in Final Fantasy, or let's just stay with the company like Neverwinter Nights, Mass Effect or KotOR.

It appears that you didn't enjoy or like this game, which leads me to believe you don't like good games, hence you are saying WoW is somehow better than Dragon Age. I can't understand this, Dragon Age simply is the best RPG I have played Elder Scrolls III, and I love it more than that. The lore.. the characters, they are so immersive, so much more immersive than any MMO I have played.

Between his post here and the one in another DA:O thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3225307/is-Dragon-Age-an-Open-World-like-Oblivion-.html#3225307 , he's never played the game and pretty much is talking out his ass.

image]image

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

The PC version. This shouldn't even be a discussion....

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I have the PC version, I would have both but my XBox shit on me the weekend before the release.

The PC version is nothing short of kickass though... My opinion.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

I have the PC version, I would have both but my XBox shit on me the weekend before the release.

Heh, I got it for the PC and my graphic card just took a shit on me about half an hour ago. But my 360 is working fine.

image]image

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Zorvan01

Heh, I got it for the PC and my graphic card just took a shit on me about half an hour ago. But my 360 is working fine.

I hate how Pc gamers are so biased when it comes to videogames for all platforms. People forget that the guys/gals on this forum are hardcore techies and have great PC's (most of them) Please understand if you own a even midrange PC DA will look even worse and stutter worse than both the ps3 and 360 versions.

I also feel that people are making way too much of this zoom out and UI differences in the versions. The ui works well with the PC version since your clicking the damn spells but with the 360 I can easily pause the action, pan the camera, switch players and targets and use my 6 quick spells and spell wheel.

None of the zoom out and UI matters when you can easily pause everything anyway.

The only thing Ill give the PC is that its harder but even that is a moot point if you turn the difficulty up in the 360 version.

I own both but other than the difficulty and the future mod community PC and 360 are similar. It pisses me off when Pc fanbois hate on consoles.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

I think the game is better suited for the pc, but even then its hard justify why so, other than the mod capablities the PC version has to offer.

It bascially comes down to preferences, and what you're most comfortable with.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Originally posted by Zorvan01

I hate how Pc gamers are so biased when it comes to videogames for all platforms. People forget that the guys/gals on this forum are hardcore techies and have great PC's (most of them) Please understand if you own a even midrange PC DA will look even worse and stutter worse than both the ps3 and 360 versions.

I also feel that people are making way too much of this zoom out and UI differences in the versions. The ui works well with the PC version since your clicking the damn spells but with the 360 I can easily pause the action, pan the camera, switch players and targets and use my 6 quick spells and spell wheel.

None of the zoom out and UI matters when you can easily pause everything anyway.

The only thing Ill give the PC is that its harder but even that is a moot point if you turn the difficulty up in the 360 version.

I own both but other than the difficulty and the future mod community PC and 360 are similar. It pisses me off when Pc fanbois hate on consoles.

Funny i dont like how soon as a friend of mine gets a console hes trying tell me i should get one .Then their gripen about paying 10 bucks more on average than pc games .Haveing to get their x box serviced cause of the red ring of death or how their ps3 died .An my favorite is how their adding all this stuff to the consoles to make them just like a pc...

But for some reson console fan boy hate of  a pc gamer just makes me smile.The hate has that green color to it much like a xbox 360 controler buton has,which i use on my pc :)

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    Originally posted by metalhead980

I own both but to be totally honest with you I spent much more time with the 360 version than my PC version.
    Yeah I know mods and harder gameplay yadda yadda yadda. For me I would rather relax on my sofa with a beer than sit all huddled over a PC screen for hours.
    Much like Mass Effect for the 360 this game takes a massive amount of hours from your life and I would rather spend those hours on my sofa.
    I dont care about player mods, I dont care about zooming out and a streamlined UI. I want comfort and honestly OP if you dont have a kick ass PC you will run DA like shit.
    Who gives a shit about all those extra options if your game stutters like a retarded bitch?

this... minus the PC issues

• DrakkhenDrakkhen Member Posts: 195

I don't understand why everyone thinks you need a "Kick ass PC" to run DAO on max settings.

My wifes 3 1/2  year old PC runs it on max with no stuttering at all (She does get a minor mem leak that slowly increases load times but is easily fixed).

Her setup: AMD X2 4800+, 2GB PC 6400, 8800GTX, 72GB WD Raptor, Vista 32

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by SpyridonZ

PC - Better interface, harder difficulty options, smoother framerate, unlocked view, mod support offering you an ongoing experience beyond everything the console versions could offer.
    Console - Biggest thing console could offer honestly... is being able to play it on a big screen tv lol. There arent really any big advantages the console version has over any others. Console only has 6 move hotkeys (as opposed to 12 per char on PC), console lacks autopause which is why the difficulty is toned down in it. Frame-rate gets choppy at times. Your locked behind the back as well, where the overhead view of PC can really help in frantic battles. No auto pause forces you to bring up the menu and hold the left trigger down every time you need a breather and a chance to tell all your characters to do something.
    Mod-ability is a HUGE plus for the PC version. The official bioware social network site even has places for you to upload/search the most popular ones, and theres already some decent ones coming out.
    Seriously, go PC, its not even worth the extra few bucks for the console versions considering they dont have anything superior

I have it for my 360 and the graphics are disappointing after seeing it on a PC at a friends house. Mod support, top-down view and a better interface also tip the scales towards the PC.

Don't get me wrong I love playing it on my 360, got it for 1€ as a special trade-in offer from Gamestop. Its a great game for the 360, but PC is the victor here, as it will be for most releases since the current generation console hardware is starting to age badly.

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by Drakkhen

I don't understand why everyone thinks you need a "Kick ass PC" to run DAO on max settings.
    My wifes 3 1/2  year old PC runs it on max with no stuttering at all (She does get a minor mem leak that slowly increases load times but is easily fixed).
    Her setup: AMD X2 4800+, 2GB PC 6400, 8800GTX, 72GB WD Raptor, Vista 32

I agree, a buddy of mine has a much lower spec rig, and it looks amazing on his 46" 1080p , running with most settings at full. At least compared to my 360 version. I don't know if the game can look even better with everything turned up.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Hrothmund

Originally posted by SpyridonZ

PC - Better interface, harder difficulty options, smoother framerate, unlocked view, mod support offering you an ongoing experience beyond everything the console versions could offer.
    Console - Biggest thing console could offer honestly... is being able to play it on a big screen tv lol. There arent really any big advantages the console version has over any others. Console only has 6 move hotkeys (as opposed to 12 per char on PC), console lacks autopause which is why the difficulty is toned down in it. Frame-rate gets choppy at times. Your locked behind the back as well, where the overhead view of PC can really help in frantic battles. No auto pause forces you to bring up the menu and hold the left trigger down every time you need a breather and a chance to tell all your characters to do something.
    Mod-ability is a HUGE plus for the PC version. The official bioware social network site even has places for you to upload/search the most popular ones, and theres already some decent ones coming out.
    Seriously, go PC, its not even worth the extra few bucks for the console versions considering they dont have anything superior

I have it for my 360 and the graphics are disappointing after seeing it on a PC at a friends house. Mod support, top-down view and a better interface also tip the scales towards the PC.

Don't get me wrong I love playing it on my 360, got it for 1€ as a special trade-in offer from Gamestop. Its a great game for the 360, but PC is the victor here, as it will be for most releases since the current generation console hardware is starting to age badly.

Yea pc def has the up over the 360 version. Its not that the 360 can't have the graphics of the comp version its just they compressed them so the load times would be half of that on the pc. I prefer the xbox version but the pc is just as nice. Really just boils down to your preference of controls.

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450

PC all the way.

1. More challenging than the console versions.

2. Tactical View.

3. Better Visuals.

4. Full support for the Dragon Age Toolset.

I haven't had any performance issues whatsoever (not to say they don't exist, I just haven't experience any myself).

Long load times are solved with a relog to the main menu of the game, and then loading back in. Plus the patch they released solved a few technical issues certain systems were having with the game.

360 version is bleh, but I'm biased when it comes to consoles, definitely not a fan. Straight up PC gamer here :P

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

logically the PC.