Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gaming Hardware Forecast to Reach $27 Billion in 2010

PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Not bad for a dying platform.

www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/

Comments

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

I read today that there will be a estimated increase of hardware by 30%. Consoles are going to be stagnating for the next 4-5 years. Unless Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft goes against their console life expectancy. However, I will say that either the industry will have a major shift or the consoles will quit. Currently the consoles are mini-PCS. The next step would be PCS.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Gkarn

I read today that there will be a estimated increase of hardware by 30%. Consoles are going to be stagnating for the next 4-5 years. Unless Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft goes against their console life expectancy. However, I will say that either the industry will have a major shift or the consoles will quit. Currently the consoles are mini-PCS. The next step would be PCS.

I see the next generation of consoles being more of a 'what you can do with them' sort of machine than a 'what kinda games/graphics they can do' machine.

Pretty much as we see now with consoles the trend seems to be shifting away from a solid game platform to more of an everyday device. More and more is being added to consoles to make them more of a communications platform than a gaming platform. You are correct that with every generation the console gets closer to being an all in one style PC/Home Media Center.

I also agree that the next few years the console market will start to stale (as it always does toward the end life of the current generation and right before the new generation). The PC will make up any ground it lost in those few years and be on top again. Then the cycle will start again.

Rinse, repeat.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Another fun fact.

Only three in ten games make enough money to recover development costs, former Sony executive Chris Deering stated in a Edinburgh Interactive Festival keynote

www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54131

Originally posted by Precusor

Another fun fact.
    Only three in ten games make enough money to recover development costs, former Sony executive Chris Deering stated in a Edinburgh Interactive Festival keynote
    www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54131

I have to call BS. The only reason I say it because of the needless spending and piracy that goes on. Think about Modern Warfare 2. I read a site yesterday that they spent 110 million in ads. That was more than the product they had made. Xbox 360 being pirated before the game was released. PC gaming with heavy pirates. They only thing they need to do, is this: Each company make it a Steam (Steam is only 1.5 mb) like software and sell their games from that system. Consoles will have to make an account with said dev, then unlock the ability to play the game. It could be automated through the DVD as well, to make it less painless.

I am kind of surprised no one has started making USB games on flash drives. I thought about making my own company to do that, but I rather play the games. And I think USB devices can go on all platforms, if I am not mistaken.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Well I just had delivered $300 case $400 mobo $80 water cooling parts haven't finished yet, there is so much new tempting stuff out there and I think PC gaming is a lot more better than console. Prices on lots of components are coming down.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

As long as home PCs are being used for business applications there will always be games made for them.  There's going to be a few smart developers who build a strong brand name and only release AAA quality titles for it along with countless el cheapo houses that release shovelware. 

After the Wii became a huge success I gave up on trying to figure out the popularity of home consoles.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Originally posted by Chieftan

As long as home PCs are being used for business applications there will always be games made for them.  There's going to be a few smart developers who build a strong brand name and only release AAA quality titles for it along with countless el cheapo houses that release shovelware. 

After the Wii became a huge success I gave up on trying to figure out the popularity of home consoles.

I bought a Wii for my son, because of the kid friendly platform. If wasn't for the controls however, I don't think they system would be as popular as it is. Heck even I like bowling every once in a while.