Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheated by Turbine

I was cheated with the new LOTR promotion - I signed up for 3 months (after not playing for months). I checked by CC statement afterwards and noticed two other charges - one for the Mirkwood expansion and one for an adventure pack. WHAT???!!! I just wanted the playing time. I am sure it was in the fine print somewhere - but this is shady at best. I should not have to read the fine print to avoid paying and extra $40 on a subscription renewal. I tried to fight the charges with Turbine, they said "thank you for playing LOTRO, but we cant help you." Never again Turbine, never again.

A poor economy does not give you liberty to shove hidden charges into subscriptions.

Comments

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

The joke of course is today... you can't buy the adventure pack.  Or at least its no longer an option on my two accounts.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

You should perhaps read the things you click on. You clicked the wrong thing. It was rather clear. You were "Cheated" by your own doing.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

Call your credit card company and have the charge reversed.. and yes the free promotion for the expansion is over..

So you called them?  I don't think their phones are open yet.  How can what you be saying is true, if yesterday there was a promotion for it free which was the last day., yet today at 7:47 am when your post started,no one would be in the office, i'm very confused.. if you got it yesterday, it would have been 20 for expansion and adventure pack w/ multi-month, if you got it today, there is noone to talk to at turbine.

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

You should perhaps read the things you click on. You clicked the wrong thing. It was rather clear. You were "Cheated" by your own doing.

Agreed. The fault is yours and not Turbines.  And it should be obvious, that with every online purchase you make you read the contract. I'm sorry that you lost the money, but may it also serve you as a lesson. Sorry mate.

• BenGellorBenGellor Member UncommonPosts: 39

Email Turbine , they fixed a billing problem i had , and gave me some free game time .

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

Read my previous post.. if you look at the facts, what he is saying can't be technically true unless i'm missing something.

• VondutchVondutch Member Posts: 10

I tried calling - I was on hold for 20 min long distance (no 800 #) with no answer.

So, I sent an email and received canned responses. I will have my cc company reverse the charges. It amazes me that companies that think they can use side channel gimmicks and deception to increase revenue. In the short term it may work, but long term the 'once bitten, twice shy' card gets played.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by Vondutch

I tried calling - I was on hold for 20 min long distance (no 800 #) with no answer.
    So, I sent an email and received canned responses. I will have my cc company reverse the charges. It amazes me that companies that think they can use side channel gimmicks and deception to increase revenue. In the short term it may work, but long term the 'once bitten, twice shy' card gets played.

Sure, this is clearly a troll by the way.

Either that or an idiot.

Originally posted by Williac

Agreed. The fault is yours and not Turbines.  And it should be obvious, that with every online purchase you make you read the contract. I'm sorry that you lost the money, but may it also serve you as a lesson. Sorry mate.

So, you guys are saying when you update your existing account with games that you purchased and played in good faith, that you read the volumes of 'fine print' upon renewing? Really? Really? I doubt it.

Regardless, if charges were passed on to the customer without the customer’s knowledge or expressed permission, those charges should be reversed by the company if they expect that customer to return in the future.

I am not buying a watch on the corner here - monthly charge MMO's depend on return customers.

• zarawerzarawer Member UncommonPosts: 31

PEBCAK?

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244

So, you guys are saying when you update your existing account with games that you purchased and played in good faith, that you read the volumes of 'fine print' upon renewing? Really? Really? I doubt it.

Regardless, if charges were passed on to the customer without the customer’s knowledge or expressed permission, those charges should be reversed by the company if they expect that customer to return in the future.

I am not buying a watch on the corner here - monthly charge MMO's depend on return customers.

It wasn't necessary to read 'fine print' to see what the pricing structure was - if he bought a multi-month plan he didn't need to buy *anything else*, that should have been pretty obvious. That being said, his credit card company should remove the charge.

Originally posted by mrroboto40

Sure, this is clearly a troll by the way.

Either that or an idiot.

Try calling Turbine Chewbacca - let me know how long it took to get through.

http://www.lotro.com/support

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I wonder why any other forum users believe a poster without any form of proof.

Constantly there are posts of "I got banned for no reason" and then the dozen responses of "That's BS that company is ridiculous!" and then the truth comes out later of what the guy really did and that he should of been banned.

There isn't enough information here and given that I haven't seen any MMO company not have a: here is your total and what you're getting, do you agree to this if so click ok page.

I don't believe this for a second. All online shopping shows you your total before charging you.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

It was kind of obvious when you went to resume subscription. One side was the free mirkwood, the other you paid for adventure pack, mirkwood. There were some other details, but I didn't need to read it since I was not interested in that. I was tempted to do it, wanting something to play, but thankfully Turbine's abyssmally slow customer service saved me money.

I had that account bug where none of the payment options show except for one, so I emailed them a month ago almost without a response of the link. Then the free time came out, so I played some, found myself to be extremely bored, and thankful not to have resubscribed hehe.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I'm sorry, but Turbine is quite shady IMO.  Take a look at this past free week.  They sent me an email 11/10/09 to tell me about the free week coming on the 12th.  So like everyone else, I waited and tried to give it a go.  No luck.  Then at 11/12/09 at 10:30 AM EST I got another email.  I assumed that was meaning it was a go.  Tried to login, said invalid. So I figured I had to subscribe for the comeback week LIKE EVERY MMO i've ever played.  Choose the 3-month plan and bam a thirty dollar charge.  Of course I called Turbine up around 1pm EST when they opened and the gentlemen Chris said no problem we get this ALL THE TIME, and refunded me.

I told him politely, might be a good idea not to send a secondary email and you might avoid those hassels or at least post on the official website what time the free period begins.  (I read the part about not having to do anything of course)

Every other MMO comeback trial I've played ASK for my CC information and a subscription.  I cancel it right after I active it.  This game on the other hand Charges you as if you've came back and with no information on their website about what time you probably had a few hundred wasted calls just like mine.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by kilun

I'm sorry, but Turbine is quite shady IMO.  Take a look at this past free week.  They sent me an email 11/10/09 to tell me about the free week coming on the 12th.  So like everyone else, I waited and tried to give it a go.  No luck.  Then at 11/12/09 at 10:30 AM EST I got another email.  I assumed that was meaning it was a go.  Tried to login, said invalid. So I figured I had to subscribe for the comeback week LIKE EVERY MMO i've ever played.  Choose the 3-month plan and bam a thirty dollar charge.  Of course I called Turbine up around 1pm EST when they opened and the gentlemen Chris said no problem we get this ALL THE TIME, and refunded me.
    I told him politely, might be a good idea not to send a secondary email and you might avoid those hassels or at least post on the official website what time the free period begins.  (I read the part about not having to do anything of course)
    Every other MMO comeback trial I've played ASK for my CC information and a subscription.  I cancel it right after I active it.  This game on the other hand Charges you as if you've came back and with no information on their website about what time you probably had a few hundred wasted calls just like mine.

So you subscribed for three months and your pissed because they charged you for it?  As im sure you know by now the free weeks in LOTRO are free to former subscribers. Christ i guess they are supposed to send out a walk through to show you the way.

Dude. It was not even in "The fine print". Its was one of the options. And yes, I take the time to read anything that requires my CC.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I do when money is involved.

In any case it sounds like you accidentally clicked on something you shouldn't have. Or, did you purchase the 3 months after the promotion was done? It ended the 16th I believe.

In any case, just because it's not taken care of "NOW" doesn't mean that Turbine won't take care of it after they look over the complaint. It's reasonable to wait a day for a response.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I assumed

There you go!

You even admit it.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Yes upgrade or resub are the options if i remember correctly. I recently resubbed for three months myself. 

The free welcome back weeks NEVER start on the 12AM of that day. You could have just asked someone here.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

They're shady because you subscribed to a three month payment plan to attempt to recieve a free week of play time?  Not every company runs the same promotional campaigns, and either you were too lazy or unwilling to look into how to go about recieving the free play time.

Either way, I hope that free week was worth 30 bucks.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I was cheated with the new LOTR promotion - I signed up for 3 months (after not playing for months). I checked by CC statement afterwards and noticed two other charges - one for the Mirkwood expansion and one for an adventure pack. WHAT???!!! I just wanted the playing time. I am sure it was in the fine print somewhere - but this is shady at best. I should not have to read the fine print to avoid paying and extra $40 on a subscription renewal. I tried to fight the charges with Turbine, they said "thank you for playing LOTRO, but we cant help you." Never again Turbine, never again.
    A poor economy does not give you liberty to shove hidden charges into subscriptions.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

Like someone else already mentioned. You should read before clicking some buttons on a web site.

I tried LOTRO shortly some time ago (came back after a very long time). Just paid for one single month. And I didn't upgrade the game (e.g. buy expansions). Besides. Turbine does sent e-mails to it's former and current customers and the mails themselves don't state that you have to reopen the account by yourself for the "welcome back thing", but that it's reopened by turbine during the specified time.

In this case it's difficult for me to understand why you blame Turbine.

Well, as someone else already mentioned, the only way to block the payment would be to contact your credit card company/bank. But then it doesn't look like it was Turbines fault at all.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

If this occured today, that promo is over.

To be fair, there was a great deal of convolution regarding this promotion.  Who gets what if they already have X subscription, what you get if you get X subscription, etc.  They DID have a huge FAQ to try to sort all that out.  But the date the promo ended was quite clear.

If you bought it before today, I guess I'm not seeing what was done here.  Most everything I've read regarding the multi-month free SoM promo said ALL YOU HAVE TO DO is have a multi month sub through release and you'll get it free.  It doesn't say anything about buying it from the site.  If you added the SoM to cart, then you didn't read the BIG print that told you you didn't have to.

It's easy enough to fix, though.  Cancel the SoM and adventurer pack charge.  Keep the multi-month charge.  If you charged it before today and you keep the multi month through to release, you'll get SoM.

Far as the adventurers pack goes, I thought that was over already.  Only people who just bought the lifetime sub(during the promo) got it for free.  Everybody else(that wanted it) had to pay 19.95 for it.