Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

David Allen's Interview at Massively

DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419

DA was right about alot of things and even though he was getting attacked, and he obviously knew it, he was a man and took the shots and fired right back.   Other companies, for example Funcom, simply hide and spout how wonderful their game is despite it's claring problems.  Of course, none of you want to give him credit for this.

Instead of saying, we wanted to focus on making the other content better and that is why features are cut (think Warhammer when they cut four of six cities and several other things not to long before release), DA told the truth that they'd get added through the resources gathered through subscription/game purchase.  Of course, none of you seem to want to give him credit for this.

In answering the whole UI is a copy of WoW's, I thought he came up with a solid uppercut to the people who continously bring this thing up.   So, instead of struggling with a new interface, players can jump in instantly and start playing the game without having to learn a completely new interface.  Excellent idea and more companies could learn from this.   His point that Blizzard went the common sense route with their interface and why shouldn't Alganon do the same was a brilliant argument to those who are whining about the UI.

Other little tidbits like him admitting his mistakes behind Horizons speaks volumes of his character and the fact that he and the way he wants to run QoL and Alganon are much different than the 24/7 spin that comes from companies like Funcom, Mythic/EA, Sony and even Blizzard.   Very honest and candid with the community but of course you guys knock him for that and laugh at his interviews. 

And, the last bit of thing you don't give DA credit for is the fact that he is about to do something that MOST fully funded companies can not do.  Launch and MMO.  What is more amazing is he did this with a remote team (that wasn't all working together in the same office).  Similiar features to WoW or not, what they are accomplishing over at QoL with their low budget and working conditions requires a ton of planning, management and intelligence to run.  I bet that a vast majority of the 'experienced' game development managers couldn't pull off what he is pulling off.

Hell, I've seen fully funded teams with all-star developers fail completely at bringing an MMO to market and he is doing it with a very limited/independent level budget and a team that works remotely.  To not give him and his team credit for that is shameful and disrespectful.

Alganon is an impressive accomplishment and I'm on DA's side and I'm not just going to sit back and listen to you people spout out second hand heresay from people who played it for 10 mins and decided they seen everything or you yourself only playing it for 10 mins.   If you're not going to play an MMO for at least a week you have no business posting any kind of mini-review or comments about it because you simply ahve no clue what you are talking about.

splat

Comments

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

1. There is already a thread on this subject.

2. Read my posts and more importantly WISMike's posts on the other two threads we have been having this debate on.

3. FOR THE SAKE OF ALL THINGS HOLY, UNHOLY OR OTHERWISE STOP ACTING LIKE EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU HASN'T PLAYED THE GAME!   

4. Stop playing the Indie card David Allen discarded that when he starting acting and pricing like an AAA developer. I'd be a LOT more forgiving if they weren't hyping and pricing like they are the next big thing.

5. Without getting to personal is it REALLY that intellegent to try and release an unfinished, overpriced game into a market that is both saturated and dominated? Wouldn't a mmo that was obviously somthing new and different be a better option?

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by Holgranth

I figured I'd start a interview thread that was in support of David Allen.  I guess this bothers you.
    2. Read my posts and more importantly WISMike's posts on the other two threads we have been having this debate on.
    You don't like the game, I get it.   Perhaps you did play it long enough to make a proper judgement of this (Though, less than five hours IMHO isn't long enough).
    3. FOR THE SAKE OF ALL THINGS HOLY, UNHOLY OR OTHERWISE STOP ACTING LIKE EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU HASN'T PLAYED THE GAME!   
    Yeah, but when someone makes comments that reflects only a small allotment of time of playing or even secondhand knowledge, I'm going to point that out.  I know you don't like this fact but I'm sorry, that is life.
    4. Stop playing the Indie card David Allen discarded that when he starting acting and pricing like an AAA developer. I'd be a LOT more forgiving if they weren't hyping and pricing like they are the next big thing.
    I agree that the pricing doesn't necessarily fit the product.   Personally, I'd have priced it at $20 and $9.95 a month but I'm not QoL nor are you.   And despite their higher pricing, they are still an INDIE team and they priced it at something that they felt would be needed to make the project healthy, recoup the money and perhaps make a profit.   If you don't want to pay the price then don't buy the game and stop bitching about it.
    5. Without getting to personal is it REALLY that intellegent to try and release an unfinished, overpriced game into a market that is both saturated and dominated? Wouldn't a mmo that was obviously somthing new and different be a better option?
    That depends.  David Allen has always been someone who is in the industry because he enjoys creating games and building communities around them.   I don't think he should apologize to you or anyone else because he is going to accomplish a dream of his. 

splat

Originally posted by Dethnoble

Originally posted by Holgranth

I figured I'd start a interview thread that was in support of David Allen.  I guess this bothers you.
    You don't like the game, I get it.   Perhaps you did play it long enough to make a proper judgement of this (Though, less than five hours IMHO isn't long enough).
    Yeah, but when someone makes comments that reflects only a small allotment of time of playing or even secondhand knowledge, I'm going to point that out.  I know you don't like this fact but I'm sorry, that is life.
    I agree that the pricing doesn't necessarily fit the product.   Personally, I'd have priced it at $20 and $9.95 a month but I'm not QoL nor are you.   And despite their higher pricing, they are still an INDIE team and they priced it at something that they felt would be needed to make the project healthy, recoup the money and perhaps make a profit.   If you don't want to pay the price then don't buy the game and stop bitching about it.
    That depends.  David Allen has always been someone who is in the industry because he enjoys creating games and building communities around them.   I don't think he should apologize to you or anyone else because he is going to accomplish a dream of his. 

1. There already is a support David Allen thread about the interview not that it really matters.

2.  If all you took out of my posts is that I don't like the game then you need to go back and relook at all of them. Look at WHY. Then go look  and WSImike's posts hes a better writer than me and makes most of the points I am trying to better than I do.

I played for almost 5 hours (I'd say about 4.5 ore more) not counting all the time loading and crashing.

3. Its fine to point out when somone is stating a blatent falsehood. Its a different thing to whitewash large groups of people just because they disagree with you.

There is a subtle difference just like the diference between "inspired" and "copied".

4. As somone said before 10 000 people at $5 a month beats 1000 paying $15 I don't think they made a good pricing decision at ALL.

5. No hes allowed to do whatever he wants to within the law.

Just don't be surprised when theres a LOT of people demanding their money back and a LOT of people that dismiss the game as a mediocre WoW clone.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

DA was right about alot of things and even though he was getting attacked, and he obviously knew it, he was a man and took the shots and fired right back.   Other companies, for example Funcom, simply hide and spout how wonderful their game is despite it's claring problems.  Of course, none of you want to give him credit for this.
    Instead of saying, we wanted to focus on making the other content better and that is why features are cut (think Warhammer when they cut four of six cities and several other things not to long before release), DA told the truth that they'd get added through the resources gathered through subscription/game purchase.  Of course, none of you seem to want to give him credit for this.
    Its only the truth when it actually happens. No-one can give him credit for something that he hasnt done yet can they. Anyone can make promises. Delivering on them is a different thing entirely. For example didnt Mythic say they were going to implement the 4 missing cities into Warhammer Online? Yet they never appeared.
    Basicly he is charging full price for an incomplete game and promises that the game will get finished later when paying beta testers have given him enough money. Ok so he's being honest about the fact that he doesnt have enough money to release a complete game. Well.....ermm....thats good of him. Does it mean the paying customer is getting a good deal for their money? Hell no......but David Allen is being an honest chap so that makes it all ok.
    In answering the whole UI is a copy of WoW's, I thought he came up with a solid uppercut to the people who continously bring this thing up.   So, instead of struggling with a new interface, players can jump in instantly and start playing the game without having to learn a completely new interface.  Excellent idea and more companies could learn from this.   His point that Blizzard went the common sense route with their interface and why shouldn't Alganon do the same was a brilliant argument to those who are whining about the UI.
    More companies could learn from what? Copying WoW? I thought one of the reasons for supporting indie companies is that we might start seeing games that are innovative and interesting because all the big companies keep churning out WoW clones in an attempt to cash in on its success........and yet here we see an indie company....ermm.....copying WoW. Why should I support any company that chooses to do that? I think players would be able to handle the deeply complex challenges involved in using a UI that is different to WoWs (<--sarcasm). In fact many players would welcome it.
    Other little tidbits like him admitting his mistakes behind Horizons speaks volumes of his character and the fact that he and the way he wants to run QoL and Alganon are much different than the 24/7 spin that comes from companies like Funcom, Mythic/EA, Sony and even Blizzard.   Very honest and candid with the community but of course you guys knock him for that and laugh at his interviews. 
    And, the last bit of thing you don't give DA credit for is the fact that he is about to do something that MOST fully funded companies can not do.  Launch and MMO.  What is more amazing is he did this with a remote team (that wasn't all working together in the same office).  Similiar features to WoW or not, what they are accomplishing over at QoL with their low budget and working conditions requires a ton of planning, management and intelligence to run.  I bet that a vast majority of the 'experienced' game development managers couldn't pull off what he is pulling off.
    Hell, I've seen fully funded teams with all-star developers fail completely at bringing an MMO to market and he is doing it with a very limited/independent level budget and a team that works remotely.  To not give him and his team credit for that is shameful and disrespectful.
    Yeah sure we can give him credit for it. However he is asking for more than just a pat on the back. He is asking for a full £15/month subscription fee in line with all the other mmos on the market. OK so his team is small, they're a poor little old indie company, they dont have good working conditions, they dont have much money, they cant afford to buy new clothes, their wives and families are starving blah blah blah. So what? Who cares? What has that got to do with the paying customer? The only thing the customer has any obligation to be interested in is the product because thats what they are paying money for. Besides I'm personally not interested in paying money for an unfinished game that might get finished sometime in the future.......especially when the makers of that game are copying WoW because they think I'm too stupid to be capable of understanding anything else. If they gave me (a potential customer) more credit then I might give them some.
    Alganon is an impressive accomplishment and I'm on DA's side and I'm not just going to sit back and listen to you people spout out second hand heresay from people who played it for 10 mins and decided they seen everything or you yourself only playing it for 10 mins.   If you're not going to play an MMO for at least a week you have no business posting any kind of mini-review or comments about it because you simply ahve no clue what you are talking about.
    Sorry but I've never bought into this "you need to play an mmo for x amount of time before you can rightfully comment on it" mind set. Its a load of bollocks! You can play any game for a short amount of time and form a good judgement on what that game is like. All mmos are repetitive so what you see in the first day of gameplay (excluding any tutorials) is pretty much what the entire game is going to be like. If a player doesnt enjoy the game during the first day then its unlikely they are going to find anything particularly awesome further into it that will change thier mind. Why should they waste a week of their life playing a game they dont like just so that their opinion can become valid in the eyes of an mmo snob who will disagree with them regardless?
    Played it for a day? Not long enough. You need to play it for a week. Played it for a week? Not long enough. You need to play it for a month. Played it for a month? Not long enough. You need to play it right through to the end before you can comment.

• DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by neonwire

Its only the truth when it actually happens. No-one can give him credit for something that he hasnt done yet can they. Anyone can make promises. Delivering on them is a different thing entirely. For example didnt Mythic say they were going to implement the 4 missing cities into Warhammer Online? Yet they never appeared.
    Basicly he is charging full price for an incomplete game and promises that the game will get finished later when paying beta testers have given him enough money. Ok so he's being honest about the fact that he doesnt have enough money to release a complete game. Well.....ermm....thats good of him. Does it mean the paying customer is getting a good deal for their money? Hell no......but David Allen is being an honest chap so that makes it all ok.
    Yeah, being an indie developer with a small budget he has the finances to implement everything for release. /sarcasm off
    Also, I think you need to reread what I'm saying because obviously you didn't comprehend it.
    More companies could learn from what? Copying WoW? I thought one of the reasons for supporting indie companies is that we might start seeing games that are innovative and interesting because all the big companies keep churning out WoW clones in an attempt to cash in on its success........and yet here we see an indie company....ermm.....copying WoW. Why should I support any company that chooses to do that? I think players would be able to handle the deeply complex challenges involved in using a UI that is different to WoWs (<--sarcasm). In fact many players would welcome it.
    Obviously, Alganon wasn't about reinventing wheels and thus doesn't attempt to innovate.  The IP is original even if some of the names are similar to names you have seen in the past.  And yes, Alganon uses some of WoW's features and also uses a very similar interface but so what?  If you care that damn much about the UI you really have issues.
    Yeah sure we can give him credit for it. However he is asking for more than just a pat on the back. He is asking for a full £15/month subscription fee in line with all the other mmos on the market. OK so his team is small, they're a poor little old indie company, they dont have good working conditions, they dont have much money, they cant afford to buy new clothes, their wives and families are starving blah blah blah. So what? Who cares? What has that got to do with the paying customer? The only thing the customer has any obligation to be interested in is the product because thats what they are paying money for. Besides I'm personally not interested in paying money for an unfinished game that might get finished sometime in the future.......especially when the makers of that game are copying WoW because they think I'm too stupid to be capable of understanding anything else. If they gave me (a potential customer) more credit then I might give them some.
    If you don't like the pricing don't buy the game and subscribe, it's that simple.  Having said that an MMO, it's team developing the updates, etc all cost money.  The financial backers for this project obviously want to MAKE money off it so you have to price it to where it'll MAKE MONEY.  Even though it was low budget it still required a large sum of money and that has to be PAID back and you also have to SUPPORT THE PRODUCT's updates, future content, maintenance, server costs, marketing/ads customer service and so forth.   You just don't get this concept.  You think that it cost very little.  You people are completely ignorant when it comes to costs to run a MMO even after launch so you assume that just because they are indie that somehow their maintenance/content creation costs are less.
    and I'm not just going to sit back and listen to you people spout out second hand heresay from people who played it for 10 mins and decided they seen everything or you yourself only playing it for 10 mins.   If you're not going to play an MMO for at least a week you have no business posting any kind of mini-review or comments about it because you simply ahve no clue what you are talking about.
    Sorry but I've never bought into this "you need to play an mmo for x amount of time before you can rightfully comment on it" mind set. Its a load of bollocks! You can play any game for a short amount of time and form a good judgement on what that game is like. All mmos are repetitive so what you see in the first day of gameplay (excluding any tutorials) is pretty much what the entire game is going to be like. If a player doesnt enjoy the game during the first day then its unlikely they are going to find anything particularly awesome further into it that will change thier mind. Why should they waste a week of their life playing a game they dont like just so that their opinion can become valid in the eyes of an mmo snob who will disagree with them regardless?
    Played it for a day? Not long enough. You need to play it for a week. Played it for a week? Not long enough. You need to play it for a month. Played it for a month? Not long enough. You need to play it right through to the end before you can comment.
    I've played Alganon for more than five hours, I've played it for several weeks and it took me a few days to get a feel for what Alganon really is.   At first, it felt like WoW because i didn't know about everything in the game.  The UI, at first, is what you notice the most along with the graphics.  But it takes time to fully get a handle on what the game is about.  Heck, how long did you play it for?  I bet you played it for 20 mins.

splat

This is LIKELY going to be my last post directed at you. To use the old and tired resturant meme, "You can't charge $40 for $5 burgers no matter HOW much the kitchen cost."

So no matter HOW much David Allen and his team spend making Alganon they can't expect Joe on the street to pay $40 for it in its current condition. If Joe on the street (or this case on the web) doen't buy the game because he thinks its overpriced David Allen is skrewed.

If going free to download and $5 a month (What I think its worth atm) woulden't cover their costs then they obviously they should have made a better game that was worth more money.

Harsh but true.

• I love it when "indie developer" becomes official excuse for 25% finished game. :)

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by neonwire

Yeah, being an indie developer with a small budget he has the finances to implement everything for release. /sarcasm off
    Also, I think you need to reread what I'm saying because obviously you didn't comprehend it.
    Like I've already said, the gaming industry is not a charity and its not the paying customers responsibility to take pity on poor indie companies that cant afford to produce a finished game.
    Hey you Mr Potential Customer give me your money for an indefinate period of time and I might give you a finished game some time in the future. Then again if I dont get enough money from other customers then I might not. In the meantime you can play my partially complete game which has borrowed stuff from WoW. I've made it this way because I dont think you're intelligent enough to be able to play anything different. Do we have a deal? Ermm no Mr Allen I think I'll pass and instead play other games with more features and stuff that is not blatantly taken from WoW. Thankyou for the offer though.
    .....and yes I do comprehend what you're saying. You're impressed with Mr Allens honesty. I seem to remember when Mark Jacobs made his statement about the cities and classes being removed from Warhammer for exactly the same reason Mr Allen is giving (ie so they can focus on making the rest of the game to a high standard) many people also praised him for being a really good honest fellow. Look at the state of Warhammer now. They did indeed implement those missing classes......eventually. But where are those missing cities and the high quality content?
    In other words why should people pay money for a game they "might" get some time in the future?......especially when this particular game (even if it is ever fully completed) isnt offering anything particularly new, good or interesting. Another game inspired by WoW which is half finished and costs full price? Why should anyone put money into that?
    Obviously, Alganon wasn't about reinventing wheels and thus doesn't attempt to innovate.  The IP is original even if some of the names are similar to names you have seen in the past.  And yes, Alganon uses some of WoW's features and also uses a very similar interface but so what?  If you care that damn much about the UI you really have issues.
    I dont care at all about the WoW style UI because I dont really give a monkeys about the game full stop. You were the one who started a thread ranting about it not me. You're the one trying to defend Mr Allens explanation for copying the WoW UI. I was simply replying to it. I'm not the one with the issues.
    If you don't like the pricing don't buy the game and subscribe, it's that simple.  Having said that an MMO, it's team developing the updates, etc all cost money.  The financial backers for this project obviously want to MAKE money off it so you have to price it to where it'll MAKE MONEY.  Even though it was low budget it still required a large sum of money and that has to be PAID back and you also have to SUPPORT THE PRODUCT's updates, future content, maintenance, server costs, marketing/ads customer service and so forth.   You just don't get this concept.  You think that it cost very little.  You people are completely ignorant when it comes to costs to run a MMO even after launch so you assume that just because they are indie that somehow their maintenance/content creation costs are less.
    Oh no need to worry there sir. I wont be giving them a penny. You see I'm a potential customer who likes to buy computer games every once in a while......and there are plenty of them to choose from. I'm not an investor. I'm not interested in donating money to poor companies that lack the funds to make games. I will however give my money to a company if in return they can give me a good game to play which I like......not next week......or next month.....or maybe next year some time......but now.
    You say I think it costs very little. I say that I never said that. You say I dont understand the concept of the costs involved in making an mmo. I say that you're putting words in my mouth as again I never even mentioned that. It looks like its you who cannot understand what I am saying. I'm simply pointing out that the fact that they are a small indie company is of no relevance to the customer at all. Only the product matters to the customer. If they are selling a product at a price which competes with other similar products then it needs to be good and offer just as much as its competitors are offering. If it doesnt then what difference does it make to me if the company is small or poor or lacks resources or whatever. If they cant hack it then they shouldnt be making games. That sounds harsh but like I said before this is not a charity and I'm not interested in donating money to help someone make a game.
    However if the game was a LOT cheaper then it might be worth it. Then later when they complete the game they can put the price up.
    and I'm not just going to sit back and listen to you people spout out second hand heresay from people who played it for 10 mins and decided they seen everything or you yourself only playing it for 10 mins.   If you're not going to play an MMO for at least a week you have no business posting any kind of mini-review or comments about it because you simply ahve no clue what you are talking about.
    I've played Alganon for more than five hours, I've played it for several weeks and it took me a few days to get a feel for what Alganon really is.   At first, it felt like WoW because i didn't know about everything in the game.  The UI, at first, is what you notice the most along with the graphics.  But it takes time to fully get a handle on what the game is about.  Heck, how long did you play it for?  I bet you played it for 20 mins.
    I dont care how many hours you've played the game. That wasnt my point. You stated that players MUST play an mmo for at least a week before they have the right to judge it. I say thats a load of bullshit. Thats the only point I was making.

• conanarasconanaras Member Posts: 68

I don't see how the price of a MMORG that lets you try it before you buy it (its free atm in the OB) can be a problem. For those that preordered, I can see a problem, but preordering is always a risk. But for the others, it's not like they are stealing from you, you can SEE the current state of the game and how it will be at release.

Everything in this life falls under the risk/reward system. If you play a F2P game, you take the risk of the cash shop changing into rich daddy's credit card game. If you play a low cost game (eg free download and low subscription cost), you take the risk of spending time in a game that doesn't get updated soon because of the absence of income. If you play a normal priced P2P, you take the risk of the game being a run-with-your-money game. You can wait and check the game's state after some months, but you will lose the fresh start. The options are there, either you take the risks or you don't.

Personally, I prefer the 3rd risk, aka normal pricing. Higher risk, but higher rewards if everything goes well.

The example with the restaurant is just plain silly btw, you just contradict yourself. Alganon's cost is not higher than other P2P games out there, its the same. So Alganon in this example would not be a restaurant selling burgers for $40, but a restaurant selling lower quality burgers at $5. But it would be a local run restaurant, and not a McDonalds series. Alganon sure is not as polished as the others P2P mmos out there, it is an indie, and if you think that it is too much of an unfinished game, don't take the risk.

1 + 1 = 2... Unless it CRITS!

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Meh i pretty much disagree with everything you said, you sound like a raging fanboi who saw these forums no offense. Everyone's entitle to there opinion =3

• conanarasconanaras Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

Meh i pretty much disagree with everything you said, you sound like a raging fanboi who saw these forums no offense. Everyone's entitle to there opinion =3

And you know what the next step is, right? I will call you a hater troll! MUHAHAHAHA <- evil laugh.

Seriously though, this whole philosophy of fanboies/haters/trolls is just lol. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as they dont start "decorating" people having different opinions with cutesy adjectives.

1 + 1 = 2... Unless it CRITS!

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

Mispost.

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

I appreciate the fact that you came here to defend a game that is almost exclusively disliked.

I can also appreciate the frustrations with the "WoW Clone" charges, because while there are similarities, it's clear that while QOL may have used WoW as their model for may of the game's aspects, everything was custom developed. Most non-hardcore gamers would be more likely to see that as a desirable feature, actually. It reduces the barrier to entry for millions.

With all that said, it is very hard for anyone, yourself included, to articulate what makes Alganon even remotely "special". I wish there was, but there isn't.

I would say that if Allen, in his interview, couldn't articulate anything uniquely special about the game, you shouldn't have to try to do it.

Alganon's only chance now is to have a extended free period that extends past the point where they work out most of the bugs and release some interesting and unique content. They've dug themselves a deep hole, and they're going to need persuasive advocates in the MMO fanbase to dig them out. QOL needs to give their players the tools to do that.

As it stands right now, they've given them a toothpick to do the digging.