Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "make your own MMO" thread.

RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717

Hello everyone. A lot of people love certain aspects of an MMO, and not the rest. I think everyone can agree that no MMO out there has the perfect combination of everything. So, below will be the format of which feature you want from which game, and you will fill in the blanks to create your "ideal" MMO. Please use MMO's that are released as your refference.

Leveling:

Classes:

Races:

Economy:

PvP:

PvE (grouping):

PvE (raiding):

PvE (soling):

Combat:

Customization:

Graphics: (style OR quality):

Equipment:

Skill set:

Transportation:

Events:

Crafting:

If anyone else can think of more things, just shout them out. I am sure there are other important aspects that I have overlooked.

Comments

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717

So, here we go, this is what I think:

Leveling: Fallen Earth.

Classes: EQ1

Races: EQ1

Economy: EVE

PvP: Warhammer (Sorry, never played DAoC or anything like that)

PvE (grouping): EQ1

PvE (raiding): WoW? (Never raided, so I don't really care, lol)

PvE (soling): WoW

Combat: Age of Conan

Customization: APB (or City of Heroes I guess since APB is yet to be seen)

Graphics: (style OR quality): Age of Conan

Equipment: Anarchy Online

Skill set: Anarchy Online

Transportation: Fallen Earth

Events: WoW (sorry guys, but no one else seems to have events these days, and WoW at least has SOMETHING)

Crafting: Ryzom

This would be my ideal. I love leveling in FE, where you don't get a boost at the level, but as you progress in that level. AoC's fast combat, combined with EVE's market? Yes please! The graphic quality of AoC, and the transportation of FE? That being mounts only, and no fast traveling, but still having a "modern" mount type.

I also liked the classes from EQ1. Very defined, and everyone had a role. And god... The races with thier racials... Don't get me started.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

SWG Pre-NGE Crafting & Economy > EVERYTHING ELSE

Well, EVE has a better economy than everything else. But, I would love to see someone even attempt to try and pull that sort of thing off with an Avatar(toon) based game, rather than what EVE is.

Leveling: Combination of EVE & Pre-NGE SWG

Classes: Ummm... None?

Races: Doesn't matter.

Economy: Pre-NGE SWG

PvP: Darkfall (but not PVP CENTRIC like Darkfall)

PvE (grouping): Fallen Earth (hey you... yeah you. Come help me!)

PvE (raiding): None

PvE (soling): Doesn't matter.

Combat: SWG Pre-CU/Fallen Earth

Customization: Doesn't matter.

Graphics: (style OR quality): Aion (what? the game is gorgeous for an MMO)

Equipment: SWG Pre-NGE

Skill set: UO and SWG Pre-NGE

Transportation: As long as it's not instant and fits in with the game

Events: An ability to create player run events. Just give us the tools. Like EVE mostly, but I like how WoW is very seasonal with the game.

Crafting: SWG Pre-NGE

The EVE economy could work easily in an avatar type MMO. Everyone has a market communicator, like carrying a Blackberry or something, which they can connect to the market network with. When you kill mobs, you get peices of equipment, which can then be sold off, or broken down into raw materials. You need to go mine at mining areas, but need something to transport it in as well. Items deteriorate with usage, and upon death, you lose 70% of your items. Sounds pretty easy.

Originally posted by Rallycart

The EVE economy could work easily in an avatar type MMO. Everyone has a market communicator, like carrying a Blackberry or something, which they can connect to the market network with. When you kill mobs, you get peices of equipment, which can then be sold off, or broken down into raw materials. You need to go mine at mining areas, but need something to transport it in as well. Items deteriorate with usage, and upon death, you lose 70% of your items. Sounds pretty easy.

Sounds pretty easy, but EVE's traveling system works alot differently than anything else.

Is it easier for you to go 10 jumps or is it easier to walk in a straight line on your horse for 45min? This is the basis of why EVE's economy is good. You don't get mailed anything, you actually have to pick it up. Also, it takes the size of their world into consideration. In EVE, they could probably have infinitely times more systems than they have, their world doesn't need to be created by a person even, it could easily be dynamically created if that's what they wanted to do. In an Avatar based MMO, only part of the world can be dynamically created and most of it needs to be created by a person.

• zantaxzantax Member Posts: 254

Leveling:  Asheron's Call (level is just a number to signify how much experiance you have put into your stats)

Classes:Classless all skill based like Asheron's Call

Races:Be original no more Elf crap, or dwarves, lets be original.

Economy:Player based Eve Style

PvP:Twich based PvP - Asheron's Call style

PvE (grouping): Wow based

PvE (raiding): Wow based

PvE (soling): Asheron's Call again

Combat: something like Champions online crossed with Asheron's Call, where combat is not auto attack everything and spam buttons, instead more intutive where you have to pay attention, crossed with the idea from AC where position, and armor on different parts of the body make a difference.  If you have a shield in your left arm, then the shield takes most hits the occasional hit to the legs foot, head should be shown from guys attacking on your left side.

Customization: UI fully customizable

Graphics: (style OR quality): Style

Equipment: Asheron's Call, SWG

Skill set: SWG/Asheron's Call/EVE

Transportation: Depends on the game, mounts are nice but in some games like SWG flight transport is instant.  I would say cross between SWG/Anarchy Online/Asherons Call (portal map)

Events: Hands down Asheron's Call style

Crafting: Eve/SWG everything is craftable, and craftable items are better then 99% of what is out there.

IMO a remake of AC would be the best with the above put in it, I think it would do great.

Originally posted by TheHatter

Sounds pretty easy, but EVE's traveling system works alot differently than anything else.

Is it easier for you to go 10 jumps or is it easier to walk in a straight line on your horse for 45min? This is the basis of why EVE's economy is good. You don't get mailed anything, you actually have to pick it up. Also, it takes the size of their world into consideration. In EVE, they could probably have infinitely times more systems than they have, their world doesn't need to be created by a person even, it could easily be dynamically created if that's what they wanted to do. In an Avatar based MMO, only part of the world can be dynamically created and most of it needs to be created by a person.

Very true. But to help out with this, you could still have no mailing system. Use contracts for transport, similar to EVE. You CAN mail something, but a person needs to physically transport it. Would give an extra "job" type, similar to haulers in EVE. When you put things up for sale in the market, it would be done from towns or trading posts, and would need to be collected there as well. Once again, easy enough to make it similar to EVE. However, as you had mentioned, their travel DOES play a part in the economy. However, a creative person could cook something up. And in a PvP environment, it could work well. Makes transport all the more lucrative.

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

Leveling: EQ2 (EQ2 is fast enough solo but encourages you to group)

Classes: FFXI ( love the dual class system)

Races: EQ2 (love the races of EQ2 ... WTB more iksar!)

Economy: SWG (the player run economy was the best)

PvP: DAOC (simply the best)

PvE (grouping): EQ2 (some of the best around with contested and instance dungeons)

PvE (raiding): EQ2 (lots ot tiered raid encounters all types for all types of players)

PvE (soling): EQ2 (good enough)

Combat: EQ2 (lots of skills that keep you busy)

Customization: Aion (best character creation around)

Graphics: (style OR quality): Aion (love the graphics of the world)

Equipment: EQ2

Skill set: EQ2 (love the alternate advancement system in EQ2)

Transportation: EQ2 (lots of mounts that you can get at any level)

Events: EQ1

Crafting: SWG (simply the best ever made)

Originally posted by Rallycart

Originally posted by TheHatter

Very true. But to help out with this, you could still have no mailing system. Use contracts for transport, similar to EVE. You CAN mail something, but a person needs to physically transport it. Would give an extra "job" type, similar to haulers in EVE. When you put things up for sale in the market, it would be done from towns or trading posts, and would need to be collected there as well. Once again, easy enough to make it similar to EVE. However, as you had mentioned, their travel DOES play a part in the economy. However, a creative person could cook something up. And in a PvP environment, it could work well. Makes transport all the more lucrative.

True. Other games really need trading built into their systems. I enjoy trading in EVE and I understand that most people don't, but it's still good for the economy. Sadly though, EVE's system doesn't really do well for player based good trading, where as I could see this very applicable in avatar based systems. One area gives lots of X item that are used to make Y item, the price of that good in that area is going to be less than it is 50min away.

I was actually hoping, originally, that Fallen Earth would be similar to this. But, they have alot of room to grow and it's been debated on their forums before and I remember once when a GM responded and seemed interested.

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

Leveling: WoW, long enough so you don’t max out in 2 weeks, unless you are a loser, but not so long you feel like you are not making progress.

Classes: Champions, level up and distribute points into talents and such, as well as picking abilities out of different sets. It is more structured, and I think provide for more options than a typical skill system. There just needs to me more incentive to focus in an ability set and not cherry pick to make power builds.

Races: Does not matter so much I only need one, but if there are multiple ones then Warhammer, each race had special racial passives you can use and the classes/skill choices were very distinct between the races, though equivalent in terms of mechanics so it did not create imbalance.

Economy: None, no game has made a fun economy

PvP: For instanced, Warhammer, you can level from it and the scenarios are top notch, for world PvP Planetside, big base battle are fun.

PvE (grouping): DDO for dungeons as they are great, for world PvE, Warhammer, though underutilized in that game public quests were one of the best parts of the game.

PvE (raiding): None, I haven’t really liked raiding, though if you took DDO dungeons and made them bigger that would be good.

PvE (soloing): Guild Wars, it focused on story and did not feel like arbitrary tasks just to level up

Combat: Conan, but it was good in concept only the actual combat was slow and clunky, if controls were improved then that would be great.

Customization: Champions, DC Universe even more so, though that isn’t out. Wear what you want and customize your body the way you want, but you can get new clothing pieces and options added to your collection in game. For UI, WoW, you can really change it the way you like, even without add-ons.

Graphics: (style OR quality): WoW and Champions, the idea being finding your own style is far better than trying to make the most realistic graphics possible.

Equipment: Champions, this goes with the customization bit, non visual items are needed to make the customization work, and though probably not an MMO Diablo’s randomized loot tables are fun.

Skill Set: Champions, different sets that you can pick abilities from, and getting points to spec your abilities in different ways is great for making a character the way you want, even though the game has serious balance issues. WoW talent trees are great too to add further customization; combining the two in some way would make for a great framework to make characters.

Transportation: Auto Assault, large choice of vehicles and the ability to customize them.

Events: WoW, seasonal events are great, but they always do an event when they launch a new expansion pack and those are fun too.

Crafting: None, no game has made a fun crafting system

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit