Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is garbage

odelldanieljodelldanielj Member UncommonPosts: 25

I don't care if they put off it's release for another year, this game is garbage.  This game is WoW's down syndrome ridden little brother.  The questing sucks, the game play is horrible, the graphics would have been uber 10 years ago, it's buggy.  Overall it's just a mess.  This game would not even make it as f2p.  Who the hell in their right mind would buy this craptastic game?  There is simply not enough polish in the world to make this turd shine.  I am willing to bet this game doesn't last 1 year after it's release.

Comments

• dlarge122878dlarge122878 Member Posts: 13

IMHO this game is not worth $15 a month to play.  Alganon could possibly get away with an item shop based revenue for a little while, but Im pretty sure anyone whos ever played a decent RPG game b4 would never pay monthly for this.

• I'm amazed at this game, I cannot understand how it is possible to have such an identical interface to wow. And the game is soooo laggy, and choppy, the character creation had huge delays.Not a very good impression, but I'm gonna play to at least level 10 just to check the game properly out.

Also the jumping, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha! This game looks like a joke, there is no denying that :D 

• TheDarzinTheDarzin Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by randybaby

I have been playing games since the mid 1970s, and its always the same, wow this wow that. Where the hell do you think wow got there UI from? They saw it on other games. Copied it and since theres like millions of people playing that game at age 13 thats all they know. Wow is a take off game also. you can only have so many ways the make a game. I'll play this game for a time to see if its good or not for myself. You people trash every game that comes out, its in beta , wow sucked in beta. Beta is for testing.... In the 1970s games sucked, but we thought they where great then Al Gore and his invention came along, (or most you young ppl think its his) and MMOs where brought to life. I guess its your generation to trash. Maybe we have got a new name for your generation now, Trash!!!!!!!!

You played WoW since the mid 1970's? Since you just implied that since the mid 1970's it's been WoW this and WoW that. Which is a very unusual stance to take. Also, and I have posted about it countless times, people keep saying WoW stole the UI. yet not a single person can show a screenshot from the game they stole it from. Not a single screenshot. Yet, everyone seemingly knows where it came from. What Blizzard did for WoW was borrow and refine from various places, which is a lot different than creating a carbon copy like QoL did with Alganon.

Also, the game is in Beta correct, for 2 more weeks. Yet, do you expect a miracle patch for the game that is going to fix the lag, the graphics, the lack of class/race choice, add pvp, add instances, make families actual mean something other than an extra chat channel? Fix issues like float jumping or being able to exploit the terrain? The game is in open beta, meaning it is exactly where the Devs think it should be, sadly the people testing it don't.

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by TheDarzin

I have been playing games since the mid 1970s, and its always the same, wow this wow that. Where the hell do you think wow got there UI from? They saw it on other games. Copied it and since theres like millions of people playing that game at age 13 thats all they know. Wow is a take off game also. you can only have so many ways the make a game. I'll play this game for a time to see if its good or not for myself. You people trash every game that comes out, its in beta , wow sucked in beta. Beta is for testing.... In the 1970s games sucked, but we thought they where great then Al Gore and his invention came along, (or most you young ppl think its his) and MMOs where brought to life. I guess its your generation to trash. Maybe we have got a new name for your generation now, Trash!!!!!!!!

You played WoW since the mid 1970's? Since you just implied that since the mid 1970's it's been WoW this and WoW that. Which is a very unusual stance to take. Also, and I have posted about it countless times, people keep saying WoW stole the UI. yet not a single person can show a screenshot from the game they stole it from. Not a single screenshot. Yet, everyone seemingly knows where it came from. What Blizzard did for WoW was borrow and refine from various places, which is a lot different than creating a carbon copy like QoL did with Alganon.

Also, the game is in Beta correct, for 2 more weeks. Yet, do you expect a miracle patch for the game that is going to fix the lag, the graphics, the lack of class/race choice, add pvp, add instances, make families actual mean something other than an extra chat channel? Fix issues like float jumping or being able to exploit the terrain? The game is in open beta, meaning it is exactly where the Devs think it should be, sadly the people testing it don't.

I know that wow copied ideas BUT they took the best ideas from other games and from the players of other games and polished them and added their own styling and a fair bit of innovation. What this game dose is wholesale copying and its highly inferior copying at that.

As far as there being only so many ways to make an mmo.........Ok heres a quick armchair dev concept for a game that (as far as I know) has not been attempted yet.

Fast action RPG style combat (think reminicent of diablo) instead of the current slower everquest style combat. With a world that is massive, freeroaming and HIGHLY interactable with, especially in instances. For example I can chop down a tree close to a cliff to make a temporary bridge across it. Ater about an hour the bridge falls down and the tree respawns. Dungeons are filled with traps players can use to thier advantage against npcs and in pvp enemy players.

If a bunch of enemies are running across a robe bridge at me I can chop the ropes or blast them with a fireball and send those on the bridge plummeting to their deaths.

Almost all enemy buildings and objects are destrucatable instead of just killing a bunch of goblins in thier camp I can burn it to the ground, smash all the containers and put all thier heads on pikes.

Scaleable instances so anywhere from 2-10 players can do the same instance and its still a rewarding challange.

Pvp dungeons where players are competing against eachother and enemy mobs in a giant free for all.

That right there would be what Alganon falsely advertizes itself to be, a unique different mmo. Similar to a few previous games (Runescape has a world thats fairly interacable with, diablo has the free roaming world and similar combat) but decidely a far greater creation.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• randybabyrandybaby Member UncommonPosts: 25

I said i been playing games since the 1970s not wow. The first game i played on a computer was a detective game and you had to type everything in. It was a Dos bases game. WoW has come up with everything it has in its game. The point is do you want a mind control game for a UI or you have to follow what everyone has using for the past few years. WoW and any other game will look at what works and try to install it in there games. WoW has a lot of things in there game now that DAoC has had for years. I mean how many ways can you push a button, have trees , mobs, water. talent trees, Armor, ohh crap WoW did all that first. Hell WoW invented the internet.....TG... Al Gore invented the keyborad also....

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

I said i been playing games since the 1970s not wow. The first game i played on a computer was a detective game and you had to type everything in. It was a Dos bases game. WoW has come up with everything it has in its game. The point is do you want a mind control game for a UI or you have to follow what everyone has using for the past few years. WoW and any other game will look at what works and try to install it in there games. WoW has a lot of things in there game now that DAoC has had for years. I mean how many ways can you push a button, have trees , mobs, water. talent trees, Armor, ohh crap WoW did all that first. Hell WoW invented the internet.....TG... Al Gore invented the keyborad also....

I dunno if english is a second language (not that thats a crime or anything) but I honestly have a hard time getting your point.

Paragraphs would be nice too.

A mind control game? Do you mean a puzzlesolving game for a UI?

Yes a lot of people use similar UIs. Alganon is not similar. Alganon is almost a precise copy. Its not a same general layout with action bars at the bottom, minimap on the top right and so on like WAR.

Sections like the talents interface are PRECISE copys of WoW. The artwork that makes up the background is different but other than that they are almost IDENTICAL. The buttons that represent talents even scroll overtop of the background art just like in WoW.

The equipment interface has PRECISELY the same slots down to the trinkets in PRECISLY the same order and an almost identical layout of stats. 

The skills interface and crafting interface are almost identical too. There is a difference between "inspired by" and "copied from".

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• DanubusDanubus Member Posts: 169

Game was  terrible. After trying for over a week to just log into the game I gave up. I have a top of the line system and everything was up to date. Still couldn't log into the game and if I did get in the lag was so bad you would get dropped. I am on a cable modem 10mb set up and have no issues with anything. They just dropped the ball on this game. Plain and simple.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by odelldanielj

I don't care if they put off it's release for another year, this game is garbage.  This game is WoW's down syndrome ridden little brother.  The questing sucks, the game play is horrible, the graphics would have been uber 10 years ago, it's buggy.  Overall it's just a mess.  This game would not even make it as f2p.  Who the hell in their right mind would buy this craptastic game?  There is simply not enough polish in the world to make this turd shine.  I am willing to bet this game doesn't last 1 year after it's release.

What i find amazing is how a PROVEN product and a very large wel ldesigned game like VG can't make it,yet people are willing to try these low budget operations.This is just further proof that people have no purpose or sense as too what games they play.

I guess there is a reaon to be skeptic,most of the time pople babble off with no clue about a game,they either hate of act as fanbois,so many want to see for themselves.However and a BIG however,i have never seen a small operation deliver a good product ,it just does not happen,heck the giant devs are struggling to give us decent quality.

The ONLY game i have ever seen come close to not only delivering quality but polishing it was Vanguard,but again their lack of money hel;them short,no other small budget operation has come within miles of what VG was able to do on a small budget.I predict no other small time operation will ever come as close as Sigil did with VG.

Heck AION was 1/4 the cost of TR and it shows,a very lacklustre cotnent game.Most of what i see in game design these past few years,is tons of generated content.Generated worlds/environment/lighting[speedtree as an example],generated npc names very poor quality in gaming.Once the game is generated,how much effort does it really take to plot an npc down and link a quest to him??how much effort does it take to check off in the game engine that players can damage each other??all of that takes about one day of effort,VERY sad to think developers are selling us this crap.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Is anyone actually surprised Alganon is trash?

The name itself can say alot about the quality of a product.   This name is generic in its sound, and offers nothing meaningful to draw the user in.  

Kindof like the movie Eragon.   Is it Aragorn, a ripoff of LOTRO.... or is it Dragon... but the fingers slipped on the keyboard putting an E where the D was supposed to be??  Who knows??!

I never considered watching Eragon, and I never considered playing Alganon.   

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• TheDarzinTheDarzin Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by dar_es_balat

Is anyone actually surprised Alganon is trash?
    The name itself can say alot about the quality of a product.   This name is generic in its sound, and offers nothing meaningful to draw the user in.  
    Kindof like the movie Eragon.   Is it Aragorn, a ripoff of LOTRO.... or is it Dragon... but the fingers slipped on the keyboard putting an E where the D was supposed to be??  Who knows??!
    I never considered watching Eragon, and I never considered playing Alganon.   

Eragon was a ripoff of Star Wars and The Wheel of Time combined, written poorly by a 17 year old. I think it became popular because people were surprised that a 17 year old in a US public school system could actually write. Also -- people are fascinated by young people doing things, regardless of how shitty what they do is.

• Now you're just being unfair randybaby, we don't think wow invented and created the mmorpg genre. We all perfectly know that many of the features in wow was alive in other games before wow. Pretty much every mmorpg has an UI that is similar to wow, or the wow UI is similar to their game, but what's funny is the fact that everything in alganon is placed exactly in the same spot, the same size etc. At least in other games you can see right away from the UI that this game is not wow, but in alganon that is not so easy. I don't really mind it, but it is indeed hilarious and a cheap move imo.

Even vanguard was miles better than this game at release, I don't think I've beta tested a game that has so many bugs and is so choppy as Alganon. I don't see how they can survive with a monthly fee, so far I haven't really noticed anything new exciting stuff, or things that this games does better than others. Well the eve training thing is kinda cool and somewhat new I guess.

I'm enjoying the beta somewhat, I always like to get some levels and get a feel for the world, no matter how poor the game seems. I could see myself playing this game if it was free to play, like Runes of Magic, which I play sometimes. 

• conanarasconanaras Member Posts: 68

From the reactions of some of the people here, I can guess that they were expecting miracles out of an indie game, and got VERY pissed off when things were not nearly as they imagined ;p.

The game is a wow-clone, it is less polished than other P2P games, it is not innovative, it is quest-based, it has bugs but it is playable and can be fun. That's it folks. Other than that, it's all a matter of taste, so go play now that it is free and see for yourselves. Things like: "this game is garbage" and "this game is going down in 1 month" and "I uninstalled it after 10seconds/minutes/hours" are good for a joke and/or frustration outlet, but not for a game review. Seems like MMORPG is doing a community service as well, its good to let the stream out.

God knows that if I were to make a post every time I got dissappointed from an aspect of a game, I would spend more time typing that actually playing games.

1 + 1 = 2... Unless it CRITS!

• NosferazielNosferaziel Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by conanaras

From the reactions of some of the people here, I can guess that they were expecting miracles out of an indie game, and got VERY pissed off when things were not nearly as they imagined ;p.
    The game is a wow-clone, it is less polished than other P2P games, it is not innovative, it is quest-based, it has bugs but it is playable and can be fun. That's it folks. Other than that, it's all a matter of taste, so go play now that it is free and see for yourselves. Things like: "this game is garbage" and "this game is going down in 1 month" and "I uninstalled it after 10seconds/minutes/hours" are good for a joke and/or frustration outlet, but not for a game review. Seems like MMORPG is doing a community service as well, its good to let the stream out.
    God knows that if I were to make a post every time I got dissappointed from an aspect of a game, I would spend more time typing that actually playing games.

I don't expect miracles from an Indie game, I just don't expect them to charge me with the same price as WoW

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

especially when they ask for that money before the game has even come out of beta just cuz the guy next to me says he has good stuff for cheap doesnt mean he isnt trying to rip me off and steal my money

Originally posted by Nosferaziel

I don't expect miracles from an Indie game, I just don't expect them to charge me with the same price as WoW

Then don't play it lol. Indie games are by definition worse than AAA titles, as more $$ = more polish, content etc. The reason people are playing indie MMORGS (and indie games in general) are not because they are better than titles from big companies. This game is lacking in some areas even for indie games' standards, but its one thing to say a game's faults and if you liked it or not, and another to go as far as "this is garbage, the most awful thing etc" when it clearly isn't, for as long as a game has people that find it enjoyable, it is far from garbage.

• I didn't know it was a indie game, that's cool, and makes me like it even more, I also kinda like the game because it's so disliked for a lack of a better word.  I'm suprised that this topic is not closed, I got a warning for typing I thought this game was a joke, that's hardly trolling.

• DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

Problem is that it seems people give indie companies a pass just because they are indie. The game is shite and people should know that going in. RIght now if it were f2p no one would care but to charge 40 bucks and a monthly regardless if its 50 cents a day or not is a bit much for something so poorly done. Alganon had a lot of interesting ideas on paper but when applied to a working product they all failed horribly.

That mindset right there is the PROBLEM. People should go in thinking the game is shit?  That creates a bias opinion and all you'll ever see is the negatives and you'll completely miss the positives. 

It seems the problem is people have no patience and completely lack the ability to comprehend what they are signing up for.  The only real arguments I'm seeing from people is when they say the game is not ready to be released and it's overpriced.  I agree with both those facts.  Beyond that, the claims that the game is all copied from WoW is flat out either lying or assumptions based upon first impressions.

Sure, some of it is obviously copied from WoW.  The interface, much of the art style, etc.   But, the talent trees were in Asheron's Call 2 FIRST.  Secondly, WoW's interface is excellent so why wouldn't a low budget company simply look at that and use something much like it instead of investing time and resources into reinventing the wheel?

Personally, I don't think the game is in the interface, or the style of icons or even the art style in general.   An MMO is meant to be played for more than 30 mins or even a couple hours.   If you don't play it that long then you have no business posting your mini-reviews.

splat

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

/facepalm

Please, for the love of all that's good... can people put this disingenuous counter-argument to rest? How many times does it need to be explained that there's a difference between having similar interface functionality and having almost identical graphic styles? The two are not the same.

Let's look at a series of screenshots from different MMOs. Note, in particular, the look/design of the interface, and of the overall graphics style of the games. Note how, though they share similar features (hotbars, compass, etc), that they do not *look* like one another in terms of the art style, texture art, etc. etc.

World of Warcraft:

Aion:

Warhammer:

LoTRO:

That's just a few examples from other games... Note how, though they all have hotbars, various buttons and a compass, that they all have their own graphical style, look and feel, etc? Also notice how each of their worlds have a very different graphics style, and also a very different look and feel.. from the environments, to the skies and even to the "trees".  No one familiar with the game would look at any of those MMOs and mistake them for World of Warcraft.

Now... Let's look at the WoW screenshot one more time...

And now... let's look at a screenshot from Alganon:

There you go... add a gryphon to either side of the hotbar, flip a few interferface features around and you have a ghetto version of World of Warcraft.... in terms of the look of the interface (not only the layout or functionality) and in terms of the graphic style. Again, it is what it is.

Other MMOs have gone that route as well... Runes of Magic and Allods have very similar styles. However, they went the distance and did a superior job of capturing the look and feel of the game, as well as the smoothness of the controls, etc. Though I admire their effort, with no sarcasm at all, QO have created what amounts to a very weak attempt at copying another MMO. RoM's and Allod's designers/developers were up to the task; Alganon's weren't.

Again.. that doesn't mean it "sucks" or that you have to "hate it"; that's subjective. But can we please start being honest and stop trying to spin the situation with all these cop-out explanations?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by Dethnoble

That mindset right there is the PROBLEM. People should go in thinking the game is shit?  That creates a bias opinion and all you'll ever see is the negatives and you'll completely miss the positives.

This.

And WSIMike, I fully agree with the facts that you present, aka that the interface (and many other things) are a close copy of WoW. What I (and I suspect most of the defenders) dont agree with is about your opinion, which is if that copy is gamebreaking or not. Interface layout and tooltip graphics are just small details compared to a game's gameplay and stability for me, and can be very easily changed in a patch or two. Gameplay and core mechanics can't. Innovation is a welcome thing, but I would take gameplay over innovation any day.

All of this fuss about Alganon is coming from the fact that it's P2P imo. Being P2P, Alganon has to present a complete package at release, sacrificing features and even outright copying things from other games, just to be on timetable. Remember, those who pay the $$ behind the games are pushy for their profits ;p. And it's a fact that if you buy the game at release you will be getting a game with much lower quality/money ratio than most other P2P games out there. But this has always been the case with indie games, either you take the risk or you don't. Personally, I hope Alganon the best, there are simply not many quest based non-sandbox MMORGs out there, and if it succeeds it may open the way for much more innovative indie games (or become innovative itself ;p).