Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do they really expect

2»

Comments

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Gabby-air

The original Horizons was a great concept, but (now) I don't know of any company that could have delivered everything it was supposed to be. Yet, players ate it up,

Wow.

Just.... wow.

The spin and utter BS in that response is staggering.  Again, people called out Alganon's very obvious similarities to WoW on a regular basis on their official forums for *months* prior to its official announcement. David Allen's lying through his teeth, plain and simple.... or he doesn't read his own forums.

The bit about the original Horizons not being something any developer could have delivered on carries a lot of irony... Apparently, Quest Online was unable to deliver on all of Alganon's original design either... How much of Alganon's original design and defining ideas were cut or post-poned to make it for release? How much actually will be in release? Yeah. Good game, David.

As for the spin-tastic response of how their "independently financed company" is creating a game being compared to the most successful... blah blah... Can I have a /facepalm, please? Thank you. I don't think statements of how your MMO looks and feels like a poorly executed carbon-copy of a successful MMO is something to be proud of, David. FFS.

Are you sure they don't have Gaute Godager handling their PR under David Allen's name? Because that's some AoC Launch  calibre BS right there.

David Allen was a con artist back with Horizons, also. Go in the Horizon's forums and ask what the old timers think of David Allen.

The part of his speech I highlighted in your quote is the most daming. He admits that Horizon's was never going to be what it promised but "the players ate it up". In other words, he admits lying through his teeth to get people to buy the game. And he's continuing to do the same thing with Alganon.

The difference is, mmo players have grown much, much wiser between the time of Horizon's launch and now. While there are still new people to the genre to become naive and gullible fanbois for him to exploit, there are far less than there were then. Horizon's had to launch before people seen it's level of fail. Alganon will be lucky to make it to release.

image]image

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Zorvan01

The original Horizons was a great concept, but (now) I don't know of any company that could have delivered everything it was supposed to be. Yet, players ate it up,

Wow.

Just.... wow.

The spin and utter BS in that response is staggering.  Again, people called out Alganon's very obvious similarities to WoW on a regular basis on their official forums for *months* prior to its official announcement. David Allen's lying through his teeth, plain and simple.... or he doesn't read his own forums.

The bit about the original Horizons not being something any developer could have delivered on carries a lot of irony... Apparently, Quest Online was unable to deliver on all of Alganon's original design either... How much of Alganon's original design and defining ideas were cut or post-poned to make it for release? How much actually will be in release? Yeah. Good game, David.

As for the spin-tastic response of how their "independently financed company" is creating a game being compared to the most successful... blah blah... Can I have a /facepalm, please? Thank you. I don't think statements of how your MMO looks and feels like a poorly executed carbon-copy of a successful MMO is something to be proud of, David. FFS.

Are you sure they don't have Gaute Godager handling their PR under David Allen's name? Because that's some AoC Launch  calibre BS right there.

David Allen was a con artist back with Horizons, also. Go in the Horizon's forums and ask what the old timers think of David Allen.

The part of his speech I highlighted in your quote is the most daming. He admits that Horizon's was never going to be what it promised but "the players ate it up". In other words, he admits lying through his teeth to get people to buy the game. And he's continuing to do the same thing with Alganon.

The difference is, mmo players have grown much, much wiser between the time of Horizon's launch and now. While there are still new people to the genre to become naive and gullible fanbois for him to exploit, there are far less than there were then. Horizon's had to launch before people seen it's level of fail. Alganon will be lucky to make it to release.

Hmm good point.

I guess it's also because I came to Horizons when it had already launched, so I missed all the pre-launch stuff.

However, I thought it was a great game back then - a horribly launched game that needed a lot of work, albeit... but a very good game with some great concepts. I loved the crafting and multi-classing, for two examples.

And even today, I think it's a great game. So.. whatever his con was intended to be back then, even though the game that was released wasn't what he'd apparently "envisoned", it's still a much more interesting game than what Alganon seems to be.

But yeah.. thanks for filling in those details, wasn't fully aware of how some people saw him. I know there are others who believe he was the poor victim in all of it... Always interesting to see both sides.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390

Originally posted by Zorvan01

Wow.

Just.... wow.

Hmm good point.

I guess it's also because I came to Horizons when it had already launched, so I missed all the pre-launch stuff.

However, I thought it was a great game back then - a horribly launched game that needed a lot of work, albeit... but a very good game with some great concepts. I loved the crafting and multi-classing, for two examples.

And even today, I think it's a great game. So.. whatever his con was intended to be back then, even though the game that was released wasn't what he'd apparently "envisoned", it's still a much more interesting game than what Alganon seems to be.

But yeah.. thanks for filling in those details, wasn't fully aware of how some people saw him. I know there are others who believe he was the poor victim in all of it... Always interesting to see both sides.

I liked Horizon's for what it was. It was a decent start of a game that had potential at the time.

But it was not what it was promised to be. And as noted above, was never intended to be.

And yes, some still consider him a victim. But then, some still support Farlan/NPcube also.

image]image

• involutioninvolution Member UncommonPosts: 6

This has probably been noted elsewhere, but since many mentions of "WoW similarities" are made in this thread, I wish to recall that in the Alganon beta forum someone noticed that the Alganon interface actually responds to key shortcuts such as the one used in WoW to bring up the achievements window. Only, apparently (I didn't try myself, being already disgusted with the state of the game and uninstalled), a dead window showed up: obviously, proof that the GUI code has been thoroughly ripped off from WoW, with just about "major" innovations such as having the backpack buttons on the left instead of the right. So, guys, this looks like it goes well beyond similarities, and it could be sheer and simple plagiarizing of the code.

David Allen should have stuck with the development of Mordor and Demise, which in my mind remain some of the very best ideas for SP-ARPG dungeon crawlers with endless gameplay. Sadly, it looks like he lost control or interest in those games, too, and now they are technically obsolete despite a still active (though tiny) playing community.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

I dont know why but, just feel that the head of both this game and Allods Online maybe buddy before. Than they somehow split and this is what we have, 2 WoW clone...

RIP Orc Choppa