Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why the game needs to redesign their character models.

http://images.mmorpg.com//images/galleries/formatted/462009/59bc888e-b927-4889-84cd-271f1ac63153.jpg

This is what I saw when I played the trial (not my picture but it's the best example) and you have this great landscape but such horrible character design. It put me off going any further throughout the game because if I can't like my character then I wont care about the exploring the world with him and his advancement.

Comments

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Can you explain what the problem is with the character model there?

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Looks good to me, the problem is that alot of low level armor is to tight to the body.

I think the characters in LotrO are among the best looking in MMOs but the gear is hit and miss. The cosmetic outfuts makes up for that thou. Compare to the ugly character models in games like EQ2 and Vanguard..

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• DarkjinxterDarkjinxter Member Posts: 174

I think the OP is referring to the...

Mis-shapen barrel chest

Dropped shoulders

Short legs

I agree with the OP that LotRO's character design leaves a bit to be desired, but I never seen it as a game-breaker. LotRO would not only benefit from a character re-design, but also more choice of character voices, since all dwarves, men and elves have the exact same voices.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

I kinda liked that look. The Race of Man is supposed to be the determined and will-driven race, so the puffed chest seemed to work well with the style and lore of the game. I can see how it might bother the OP, though.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The textures certainly need work, especially compared to other recently released games. However, the bigger issue is the character animations. Unfortunately, the avatars move like mannequins, too stiff robotic like movement.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Actually, this picture looks better than I expected.

Yeah, I'm not seeing any huge issue here.  They could be better, and starter armor textures and designs are just bad(the pants have yellow halfmoon stripes on the hips, making it look like you're just wearing leather underwear and chaps).  But as a whole, they look fine, though it seems like they could add at least SOME non-sillyness to the hobbits... just a little too cutesy.

Either way, not a game breaker.  If they said they were gonna redo them, I'd be eager to see the result, but I'm no closer to quitting because of how they currently look.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Honestly, the only thing I really think needs a redesign is

A: all the silly hats and B: Animations. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

combat needs to run smoother as well

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

combat needs to run smoother as well

I believe combat is being overhauled somewhat in Siege of Mirkwood

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

I think the graphics including the character graphics are fairly well done all considered. But, I do have an issue with my hobbit in that the body type and appearance is just not something I really like very much. But, it is a style and they have been pretty consistent with their style guides. The lower level armor can be pretty horrendous at times with some omg awful color combinations. A couple of times I thought my hobbit was a clown in Lord of the three ring circus but it got better.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Looks okay to me.  /shrug

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Only thing I dident really care for was the hood... then again I havent seen a game get hoods right yet so...

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108

wtb pvp

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I can't believe you guys are complaining about the hobbits.  The dwarves have hunchbacks and no necks...lol.  I think the picture looks great.  I have no problem with the characters when they stand still (except for the play dough hair).  The problem I have is the stick up their arse when they run/move.  This doesn't deter me from playing this great game t hough.  To me, Vanguard character animation/textures are worse, but its all a matter of opinion anyway.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

Its in noob gear, and does not have giant, flashy shoulder pads and other fantasy elements in its armor.

LOTRO is a stylized realism, some people just cant handle that low fantasy take on visuals.

Here are some midlevel armors.

As you can see from this dwarf, there is nothing wrong with the texture fidelity. Of course they dont use all the bleeding edge graphical techniques, but LOTRO has one of the best system requirements to performance ratios of any MMO.

Forchel armor above.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SpeedMannSpeedMann Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by lolunatic

wtb pvp

Go play a FPS lots of online pvp there.

==================================================
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Its in noob gear, and does not have giant, flashy shoulder pads and other fantasy elements in its armor.

LOTRO is a stylized realism, some people just cant handle that low fantasy take on visuals.

As you can see from this dwarf, there is nothing wrong with the texture fidelity. Of course they dont use all the bleeding edge graphical techniques, but LOTRO has one of the best system requirements to performance ratios of any MMO.

Forchel armor above.

In contrast with the lands they are in no they don't look good, It's like having wow characters in aion (well that's exagerating but should get my point)

Originally posted by lolunatic

wtb pvp

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Forchel armor above.

In contrast with the lands they are in no they don't look good, It's like having wow characters in aion (well that's exagerating but should get my point)

I disagree. Completely. Also, players can color there armor whatever they want.

Have some perspective:

----------

How are you?" -Me

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Sigh, I come here and get reminded that western game developers can't design good looking races...

Or even animate them properly...

Sad.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Sigh, I come here and get reminded that western game developers can't design good looking races...
    Sad.

Considering that most MMO developers outsource a good deal of the modeling and animation tasks, your statement has zero basis in reality.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by Kordesh

Agreed. The game world is so well done...then the characters are plopped in there as an afterthought. The animations are horrible, and the goofy hats are lauphable. And let's face it, the dull zombie horse faces on the characters isn't very appeasing either.

Originally posted by talismen351

Originally posted by Kordesh

Agreed. The game world is so well done...then the characters are plopped in there as an afterthought. The animations are horrible, and the goofy hats are lauphable. And let's face it, the dull zombie horse faces on the characters isn't very appeasing either.

LOTRO is one of the few MMO's with full facial animations. Try playing the moods sometimes. In most animations, even combat, the face is also animated.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Sad.

Considering that most MMO developers outsource a good deal of the modeling and animation tasks, your statement has zero basis in reality.

They probably should reconsider that decision then...

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395

Sad.

I agree with your sentiment, though LotRO is not the worst by a long shot.

I just wish art departments would learn and use the basics of anatomy, motion, perspective and proportion for both genders.  Male models are particularly bad in most western games.  It is like the only thing they know how to draw is women's breasts and even then they often get it wrong.

Likewise, can we get folks who can create good hairstyles and fashions for both genders?  How about actually designing intriguing looks for your world's culture instead of all folks looking like they are from a modern office complex dropped into a fantasy realm?

I can dream, I suppose...