Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else laughed?

Comments

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

What does it say about mmorpg.com that gives any outlet of credibility to anyone that can write a deranged review?

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Every freaking fantasy themepark is the same shit. It's been the same since EQ and WoW just took it and made it a bit easier.
    To trash Alganon is fucking stupid. Lotro and WAR did the same shit.
    If your going to continue to support trash like WoW and the other fantasy themeparks then you deserve a thousand games like Alganon.

Sure, if you're not into them.

To somebody who's not into video games, all video games are the same.

To somebody who's not into flight sims, all flight sims the same.

And to somebody who's not into MMORPGs, all MMORPGs are the same.

I'm sure one can write a book about the differences between a game like WOW and a game like LOTRO.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Nikopol
    Originally posted by metalhead980 Every freaking fantasy themepark is the same shit. It's been the same since EQ and WoW just took it and made it a bit easier.
    If your going to continue to support trash like WoW and the other fantasy themeparks then you deserve a thousand games like Alganon.

I'm sure one can write a book about the differences between a game like WOW and a game like LOTRO.

What's the point. Unless it's almost entirely filled with pretty pictures I doubt people like "metalhead" with actually you know...READ it.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Ok, time for doomsday prediction.

I give this game 3 months before it tank...

RIP Orc Choppa

• xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by arctarus

Game seems t0 be tanking n0w. The game isn't gaining any kind 0f p0sitive rep, and I've seen very little actually supp0rting the directi0n this game is g0ing.

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by xenorace

Originally posted by arctarus

Game seems t0 be tanking n0w. The game isn't gaining any kind 0f p0sitive rep, and I've seen very little actually supp0rting the directi0n this game is g0ing.

Sad, but true....

Ok, I almost made it with a straight face. Played for literally 10min probing around the options after noticing the striking resemblance to WoW's character creation screen. Yeah, I'm not gonna be shocked if they get sued for several direct Layout/System copying. It's one thing to "borrow" ideas from another MMO, entirely another to copy pretty much EVERYTHING. On top of that, this thing made WoW's GFX look GREAT at this point (acknowledgment of being still in beta).

Once Blizz gets their hands on this, I'm sure we'll see a MMO repeat of White Wolf vs. Underworld. I'm not seeing a bright, nor long, future for this.

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I don't think Blizzard will even bother with any sort of legal action against them. This game has no chance of putting even a minor dent in Blizzard's WoW subscriptions.

It actually helps Blizzard that companies are putting out mediocre carbon-copies of WoW. People log into this game, see that it is a complete copy of WoW and then immediately come to the realization that WoW did everything better. At that point they go straight back to WoW. There is nothing new or unique in this game worth keeping any of those players.

I honestly find it mind-boggling that they would even try copying WoW this closely and think that they have any possible chance of drawing players from it. Why play an inferior copy that lacks polish and content when you can play the real thing?

• metallihammetalliham Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Anubisan

I don't think Blizzard will even bother with any sort of legal action against them. This game has no chance of putting even a minor dent in Blizzard's WoW subscriptions.
    It actually helps Blizzard that companies are putting out mediocre carbon-copies of WoW. People log into this game, see that it is a complete copy of WoW and then immediately come to the realization that WoW did everything better. At that point they go straight back to WoW. There is nothing new or unique in this game worth keeping any of those players.
    I honestly find it mind-boggling that they would even try copying WoW this closely and think that they have any possible chance of drawing players from it. Why play an inferior copy that lacks polish and content when you can play the real thing?

If only this were true.

Blizzard is very insecure when it comes to other MMOs.

I was once banned from the Blizzard forums for asking about AoC.

Blizz was actually searching for posts about AoC and deleting them and banning them.

If they don't sue, it's only because legally they can't.

Make no mistake though. They are warm and fuzzy in appearance, but ruthless when it comes to their money.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Actually many if not all gaming companies don't let people talk about other games on there forums, lol i was once banned from a game (i was unbanned later on) because i asked the GM if he used to work for another game and on my thing it said "banned for advertising other video games and starting flame wars" good stuff

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by metalliham

Originally posted by Anubisan

If only this were true.

Blizzard is very insecure when it comes to other MMOs.

I was once banned from the Blizzard forums for asking about AoC.

Blizz was actually searching for posts about AoC and deleting them and banning them.

If they don't sue, it's only because legally they can't.

Make no mistake though. They are warm and fuzzy in appearance, but ruthless when it comes to their money.

That sounds like an overzealous forum mod. However since 99.99% of the stuff written on the forums about other games is wow bashing fanbois out to start a flame war in their last few days of subcription. (The "waiting on WAR meme was truely incredible in that respect) And even threads that start out as a honest question or a bid for information quickly turn into a flamefest.

While banning you was an over the top reaction if I was a forum mod I would have politely explained that posts about other games were liable to start a flame war and that you should go find a better place to get information.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Every freaking fantasy themepark is the same shit. It's been the same since EQ and WoW just took it and made it a bit easier.

Asheron's Call 1 was anything but a themepark game and it came AFTER EQ, so it hasn't been the same since EQ technically.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• BlazzBlazz Member Posts: 321

I thought the interview was in bad form, and they could have asked about the features in the game.

What I see Alganon is doing is trying to make an MMO with some good aspects of various MMOs. It is creating a niche of various aspects that aren't likely to get put in other games.

Some players may like the library, apparently stolen from LotRO, but also want their character to do things while they're offline, like the study system allows, basically like researching things in EvE.

The game is different enough - and the issue of whether the UI looks the same or not is stupid.

How many people play an FPS and complain that there is a retical in the middle of the screen that gets bigger (less accurate) when you shoot multiple bullets? Jesus! STOLEN I say! Stolen! From, like, Half-life! And Half-life stole the middle retical in the first place from Quake!

Don't get me STARTED on the idea of having HEALTH POINTS and ARMOUR at the BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN!

And man, how many games have started using the "I'll just hide behind this corner and regenerate all of my health" technique, ala Halo's Shield, followed by Gears of War's blood on the screen, followed by Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare's blood on the screen... the list goes on.

Someone made the wheel - others look at the wheel, they think it is good. Why do people insist that we should be trying to stay away from the wheel?

Bah, anyway, you don't have to srpead bad PR for an emerging indie game just because of its similarities. Look at any big publisher's game and bag them out instead - they at least have the financial backing to continue after their terrible PR (ala AoC)

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

• ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

Except that the points are not entirely about positioning.  The entire layout/style/art (loosely) has been copied.  To take your own argument, sure, every MMO out there has action buttons on the bottom.  It's the bar's look 'n' feel that differentiates between the two.  Besides for the actual click boxes, artwork across them all are pretty much unique.  Stick some gryphons at the end of Alg's bars and they'd be [b]quite[/b] similar.

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

• TheDarzinTheDarzin Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Blazz

Bah, anyway, you don't have to srpead bad PR for an emerging indie game just because of its similarities. Look at any big publisher's game and bag them out instead - they at least have the financial backing to continue after their terrible PR (ala AoC)

Grammar Nazi, eh? Anyway, a bad game deserves bad press. If you haven't played the game, you wouldn't understand why the UI is such a big deal. In WoW, everything pretty much revolves around the UI, and it goes the same for this game. The game plays identical to WoW from combat to crafting -- adding some different quests doesn't change that fact. Adding families  -- which is another chat channel doesn't change the game play either. Deities while a nice idea do nothing for the game play. The game looks and plays like a cheap version of WoW.

Play it. I have asked every single person what the difference between the game and WoW is, and they can't actually provide a real answer. An in game wiki and a study system that will give zero advantage and mean nothing in the long run don't change game play. You can't advance via the study system. You can, advance your studies, but, do you think a level 25 with 100,000,000 studies is going to be in the same ballpark as a level 50 with dungeon gear? Telling us that the study system helps casuals keep up is a lie -- a level 25 is going to have absolutely no chance of killing a level 50 mob, no matter how many points they have in the study system.

• DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by TheDarzin

Grammar Nazi, eh? Anyway, a bad game deserves bad press. If you haven't played the game, you wouldn't understand why the UI is such a big deal. In WoW, everything pretty much revolves around the UI, and it goes the same for this game. The game plays identical to WoW from combat to crafting -- adding some different quests doesn't change that fact. Adding families  -- which is another chat channel doesn't change the game play either. Deities while a nice idea do nothing for the game play. The game looks and plays like a cheap version of WoW.

Play it. I have asked every single person what the difference between the game and WoW is, and they can't actually provide a real answer. An in game wiki and a study system that will give zero advantage and mean nothing in the long run don't change game play. You can't advance via the study system. You can, advance your studies, but, do you think a level 25 with 100,000,000 studies is going to be in the same ballpark as a level 50 with dungeon gear? Telling us that the study system helps casuals keep up is a lie -- a level 25 is going to have absolutely no chance of killing a level 50 mob, no matter how many points they have in the study system.

TheDarzin,

YOu speak as if the game was released and you played it several months.  Having said that, you obviously misinterpreted what David Allen was saying about the study system.  He wasn't saying that a level 25 was going to be able to kill a level 50 mob, he was saying that a level 25 who has their studies built up would be more effective and stronger than someone who powergames to level 25.  

It's sad really.  People like you who cannot comprehend what people say then go off and run your mouth, saying this or that when you have no clue what you are talking about.   I seen this happen with Darkfall/Tasos as well.  People didn't comprehend what was said, when running their mouths with half truths and complete misinformation and next thing you know Tasos/Adventurine was being accused of lying.

Same *bleep* is happening here.

splat

• fluffybunifluffybuni Member Posts: 29

Maybe it's true (those of you defending the game) that it might be good, and worth trying/playing; but seriously if a company created an engine all on their own, why would they create one that resembles one of the most popular games in its genre? It's just silly and completely not logical.

For those of you talking about familiar UI's in alot of other games: of course alot of games share the same UI configurations, but it doesn't take much effort to make that familarity seem unique. If the company has the lack of man power for that kind of imagination then they probably shouldn't have made a game in the first place.

Also, It's not even about the game being good or bad anymore, you just don't make your game look very similar to other games; now thats common sense. David Allen and his team should be expecting all this shit they are getting, there is no reason why they haven't thought of the consequences; I mean its a pretty big hole they've dug for themselves.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Dethnoble

Originally posted by TheDarzin

TheDarzin,

YOu speak as if the game was released and you played it several months.  Having said that, you obviously misinterpreted what David Allen was saying about the study system.  He wasn't saying that a level 25 was going to be able to kill a level 50 mob, he was saying that a level 25 who has their studies built up would be more effective and stronger than someone who powergames to level 25.  

It's sad really.  People like you who cannot comprehend what people say then go off and run your mouth, saying this or that when you have no clue what you are talking about.   I seen this happen with Darkfall/Tasos as well.  People didn't comprehend what was said, when running their mouths with half truths and complete misinformation and next thing you know Tasos/Adventurine was being accused of lying.

Ohhhh.... people comprehended and remembered what Tasos said all too well... well enough to directly quote him, cite specific statements from him or others at AV, and throw it back in his (and the fans') faces every time he tried lying or spinning his way out of something. There's no lack of comprehension... the guy is/was a liar and tireless spin-meister. Period.

Same *bleep* is happening here.

Yes... David Allen is spewing a lot of nonsense about his game, doing a whole lot of spinning, and people are calling him on it, myself included.

There's this thing called "being accountable for what you say or do". It's particularly important when people are potentially paying money to buy a game based on what you're telling them. When what you deliver on doesn't match what you're hyping, and you're called on it, spinning or denying the situation is not the "accountable" thing to do. Liking their respective games doesn't excuse David Allen, Tasos, or anyone else from that.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by Kithca

I don't think I got to the funny part; I stopped reading to find my real world achievement window.
    "We have an achievement panel because we have an Achievement system planned and nearing completion. We have a keyring because we plan to have keys to open access to special content, such as instances. It's that simple.
    A Keyring? Achievements? These are not WoW-specific things. They are common sense. They exist in the real world."
    - David Allen

He's right, many MMORPGs had those systems before WoW did.

Just because WoW did something did not make it unique -- almost EVERYTHING in WoW is recycled from another game.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by caalem

I don't think I got to the funny part; I stopped reading to find my real world achievement window.
    "We have an achievement panel because we have an Achievement system planned and nearing completion. We have a keyring because we plan to have keys to open access to special content, such as instances. It's that simple.
    A Keyring? Achievements? These are not WoW-specific things. They are common sense. They exist in the real world."
    - David Allen

Just because WoW did something did not make it unique -- almost EVERYTHING in WoW is recycled from another game.

Oh come on. That's a perfect example of David Allen spinning and it's so transparent it's actually funny. 

First of all, arguing as something being "common sense" in a *fantasy* game, because it exists in *the real world* is kinda funny unto itself. "No, we totally didn't get the idea from another MMO... we totally came up with it ourselves, based on real life!". What, during a brainstorming session regarding mob placement, he happened to look at his keyring and thought, "Eureka!"? And of course, it's *purely coincidental* that they're implementing it in a way that so closely resembles another very popular MMO, right? Pure coincidence, totally based on real life.

Yeah, that's believable.

Just like it's purely coincidence according to QO that other elements of the game so closely (though not in quality) resembles WoW when they've been called out in the past.

It's right up there with spinning the fact that everyone's calling the game out as a poor WoW clone by saying "we're being compared to the most successful MMO out there!".

The guy is in full-on spin mode. Plain and simple.

It's bad enough that people have been getting sick of WoW clones and QO produces a ghetto carbon-copy of it. It doesn't help gain favor with those people to lie or spin to them about what they're plainly seeing with their own two eyes.

As I've said before.. It is what it is. The best thing he could do is say "Yes, you know what, we did rely heavily on WoW for a lot of how Alganon is designed. But, we used that as a foundation to build from, because we feel the look and overall setup suits Alganon well. We believe there's enough unique content - though not yet in the game - that will set it apart. Our hope is that players will look past the similarities, see the unique aspects and enjoy it for that".

Of course, it helps if those unique aspects are actually *in game*.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

- David Allen

Simpsons did it first... Flintstones did it first... Lincoln did it first... Nostradomus did it first... Jesus did it first... The Geico cavemen did it first... Don't give a shit did it first...

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432

- David Allen

What game had quest indicators above the quest givers before WoW?  I can't remember any.

As far as the UI, if you want to see how to copy WoW but still have some creativity, check out a game like Allods Online or even Runes of Magic.  The devs would get much more respect if they even did something simple like change the stupid keyring icon to something else or put it in a different location.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Originally posted by tanoril

What game had quest indicators above the quest givers before WoW?  I can't remember any.

Diablo II did, didn't it?

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Banquetto
    Originally posted by tanoril

Diablo II did, didn't it?

Yep.

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

You know blizz developed both right?

Rift

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

The talent tree in WoW is extremely similar to the skill trees in Diablo 2, too.

Blizzard goes with what works. Plain as that. They build, improve, and polish.

You guys can blame Blizzard all you want for making the most polished MMO around, but you cannot blame them for spawning the thousands of clones that followed suit. It's the customers you should be blaming.

Stop throwing these companies money and they'll slowly die off. If you're going to play a themepark level cap raiding game, play the best.