Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:TOR will fail. Heres why:

12346»

Comments

• fennec12fennec12 Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Legato89

BioWare makes good single player story driven RPGs. Although I personally don't like their games as much as Bethesdas games I will say they are the best at telling a story in an RPG. This will not transition well online. There will be too many chiefs and not enough indians. MMOs cannot put a select few people on a pedistal and label them as the chosen one. You are not a unique snowflake...

What have you been smoking??

BioWare have some of the best (if not the best) storytellers in the gameindustry. Are you realy that naive to think they can only write story that make you "the chose one"? It's not even that hard to make it "one of many". Just a question of changing the dialoug a little. See here..

"We need YOU to fight the Sith, will you join?" <> "We need everyone to fight the Sith, will you join?"

"'SomeEliteMob' is causing trouble, and need to be taken care off. He's tough, so you better get your friends to help" (start)

"Goog job. Your group realy pulled through and saved the day" (Completed)

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I've played a ton of games over the years.. some PvP and some PvE and some both..  One thing I observed tho NO ONE likes being ganked or losing in a PvP fight on a regular basis..  I've read a few so far in this post that promote PvP at any cost.. These statements I've read before and come across in game, and to no surprise, it's all BS..  Why?    No more then a month ago a group of PvP gankers, I believe 4 or 5 of them, selectively targeted single vulnerable players or smaller groups.. This went on for 30 minutes from what I can tell..  Finally I and others from my guild grouped up with others to be 10 man strong..  We destroyed that smaller ganking 5 man group in minutes..  They rezed, They died..  After each of them died twice they all logged off and quit..

Funny how the gankers that were so proud of their BS, didn't like it when the shoe was on the other foot..  This is why PvP games often struggle with subscription numbers.. PvP comes down to the numbers.. No different then PvE games come down to the gear..  Same will happen to SWToR.. If there is a constant flow of 3v1  or 6v2 PvP  gank fights and that is a large portion of the end game, I doubt the subscription base will be that big..   I don't mind PvP,  in fact my favorite PvP are battlegrounds like AV or contested zones like WG in WoW.. But if I have to spend time looking for a group to keep from getting ganked all the time..  I will NOT play that game.. I have better things to do then be some childs target over and over...

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by greed0104

Originally posted by Eridanix

Yes, another themepark with classes and levels. Hello Kitty Online with lightsabers.

I'm just glad it's not another broken buggy sandbox with subs hanging under 50k and no sense of direction.

Watch how well "Hello kitty Online with lightsabers" does compared to your game of choice. I'm not garenteeing BioWare taking the lead in the industry, but I garentee most people will go to something more functional and enjoyable over something broken and frustrating.

Nothing's broken in EVE, that is my game of choice but you are right, if I was not there I would be playing DarkFall or Mortal Online.

Nomad gamers will play "Hello Kitty Online with lightsabers" and will eat the content in two months. I don't see that game working on the long run.

It is a question of fangs.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Yes, another themepark with classes and levels. Hello Kitty Online with lightsabers.

I'm just glad it's not another broken buggy sandbox with subs hanging under 50k and no sense of direction.

Watch how well "Hello kitty Online with lightsabers" does compared to your game of choice. I'm not garenteeing BioWare taking the lead in the industry, but I garentee most people will go to something more functional and enjoyable over something broken and frustrating.

Nomad gamers will play "Hello Kitty Online with lightsabers" and will eat the content in two months. I don't see that game working on the long run.

EVE players are so cool I like it when they take the time to troll a forum and talk down on everyone. Probably waiting for a skill to train up, right?

@Torak : In fact, waiting a cargo Freighter from 39 solar systems away bringing to me industrial gear. :D

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

@Torak : In fact, waiting a cargo Freighter from 39 solar systems away bringing to me industrial gear. :D

Don't try and make it sound "cool" :)

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Don't try and make it sound "cool" :)

I got it! Well, it's cool for me. Surely you prefer SWTOR, which is not cool for me but it seems it is for others ~in this case I can't say anything, as there is everything in the Lord's Vineyard, or so is said in more conservative circles than i'm fond of~. But as I have shown before in other place I bear solid arguments to say SWTOR will be a huge fail after some months.

I rest my case.

• iank240iank240 Member Posts: 170

I read

"BioWare makes good single player story driven RPGs"

And could not be bothered with the rest.  the game is still in development lol

• HorkathaneHorkathane Member Posts: 380

Thread is fail. TOR will be EPIC because Bioware is EPIC WIN. Proof being DA is RPG of the Decade! Also, DA plays like a MMORPG anyway with the Boss battles being like mmo raid style play albeit by your self but its more fun. TOR will be DA online without the pause and group control.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Nothing's broken in EVE, that is my game of choice but you are right, if I was not there I would be playing DarkFall or Mortal Online.

EvE is not a game.

EvE is not a game.

Correct, EVE is life itself.

EvE is not a game.

Screen savers that important to you?

EvE is not a game.

Screen savers that important to you?

EVE is a screen saver and pigs fly.

If someone come to the 0.0 part of the screen saver I will tell you who is not a coward player. If you prefer to stay safe then it's better that you go on thinking about it as a screen saver.

If you wish better gfx you can go in Darkfall too. There will be a lot of people waiting to a full guts pvp'er like you.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Legato89

BioWare makes good single player story driven RPGs. Although I personally don't like their games as much as Bethesdas games I will say they are the best at telling a story in an RPG. This will not transition well online. There will be too many chiefs and not enough indians. MMOs cannot put a select few people on a pedistal and label them as the chosen one. You are not a unique snowflake. Look at every other successful MMO: you are just another soldier or citizen of your race/faction fighting for the good of the kingdom. STO is also going to suffer from the same issue. Every player will be a captain of their own ship with an NPC controlled crew. SWG did an excellent job by making sure each player was a lowly grunt, and once they stood out by unlocking Jedi they had a hefty bounty placed on their head. This typee mechanic works well, and its a shame Crypic isn't doing something similar to allow for multiple player run ships. Soon we are going to have more popular IPs becoming MMOs just to capitalize on the power of the IP, going for the instant gratification appeal (like with SWG NGE) and allowing any newb who just subscribed to be a class that takes years of training to reach (LotRO NOT letting players become mages for this very reason) or wouldn't fit the lore at all (SWG making Jedi a selectable class).

I agree with you that its stupid...but people have already shown us they dont give a damn about story and lore or they wouldnt be playing WoW.

EVE is a screen saver and pigs fly.
    If someone come to the 0.0 part of the screen saver I will tell you who is not a coward player. If you prefer to stay safe then it's better that you go on thinking about it as a screen saver.
    I've tried EVE, played for about 5 days or so with a friend that's already settled down into the game. I spent most of my time following his hulk around while he collected ore, he would also encounter NPC pirates, I would keep a distance and gun, while he practically demolished them. The combat was nothing more then sit and watch. I have patience, but the screen saver part is traveling which I was doing probably 90% of the time. Anyways, the only enjoyable moment I had in that sad excuse for a P2P MMO, was actually encountering a Pirate player. My friend retreated and was telling me to do so over vent, I decided to stay and see if anything was even enjoyable in Eve. But yes, I did get destroyed. That was the fun part, the boring part was then traveling, again, to get a new ship while in a pod.
    Your game isn't perfect, perfection does not exist in MMOs. Eve is mediocre at best.
    If you wish better gfx you can go in Darkfall too. There will be a lot of people waiting to a full guts pvp'er like you.

I think the screen saver looks better then the Morrowind wannabe. If I wanted to run swinging my pixel sword like a moron I would buy darkfall. I would be embarrased to play that game though, even if I was the only one in the room. It looks that bad.

Originally posted by Sortis

I agree with you that its stupid...but people have already shown us they dont give a damn about story and lore or they wouldnt be playing WoW.

What about LOTRO, apparently people do enjoy story and lore. Games that revolve around story will require patience and your attention, something most WoW players do not possess.  Do you really want to pull WoWs population into other games? Think about that for a second.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Sortis

What about LOTRO, apparently people do enjoy story and lore. Games that revolve around story will require patience and your attention, something most WoW players do not possess.  Do you really want to pull WoWs population into other games? Think about that for a second.

The game will not fail. Story base games do work like the dude above stated. LOTRO was a success due to this. Will it have a huge population, most likely not but it will be successful regardless.