Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to MMO's?

2»

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Dru998

What happened to MMO's is what is happening to our North American society.  Everyone is looking for the quick fix.  The instant gratification.  The I want it now, with no or very little work attitude.  You see it in popular television, movies, music, and games.  Our entertainment has gone from deep and meaningful to shallow and meaningless. There is no real gratification or fulfillment to the quick fixes.  It's a very short high followed by a shallow empty feeling low. If you notice all the current popular entertainment is designed to capture your attention in short blocks, with something new always around the corner. No depth or meaning there.  It's entertainment that is designed for people with no attention span. The MMO's of today are a direct reflection of the masses as a whole.  Mindless, unconscious, feeling less, insatiable.  It is no wonder that the MMO's of today are horrible.

Now add to that, the fact that game developers are now making games for profit and profit alone.  It's a business now, not an art form.  The games are designed to make money.  There is no artistic or creative integrity.  The games are not designed  to be great.  They are made to make money.  

MMO's are not evolving, as was touched upon by another poster.  They have become stagnant.  I don't think we can expect anything to change unless we change as a society.  We have to demand better. 

On a more positive note, a game I have being playing briefly that many considered failed, is free and is quite good: The chronicles of Spellborn.  Give it a try, you might be surprised.

Good post.  I was thinking about this just last night.  T.V. shows seem to be heading to 1-2 seasons run before they are considered old and people move on to something else.  I suspect in the future we will start seeing more shows that are designed for single season, similar to 'Harper's Island', and maybe we will see things shrink down to mini-series and movie length shows as people become more and more impatient with their entertainment.  The shock value will increase, he depth will decrease, and everyone will get off on it as fast as they can. As you said, it's not just TV, it's everything, and it will cave in on itself.  I would say it has already started to.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF Member Posts: 59

Well guys i think as it was said here on the forum already the MMO are made at a lot image of the consumism society now i mean they are made to be played and trown away and for me is sad to se youre game diying cause nobody play it anymore cause all guys went away to the "new" release that has the same but with better graphs and i know is not only players fault is companiees fault too they make mmo and games like that in general to be discarded soon to get new ones and in the case of MMo i think is abig contradiction there.

And about that other 11 million lamb players game that you talked about well is no good has no talent but is famous so every one plays it......

DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153
    Originally posted by hanshotfirst

Originally posted by Tatum

IF the genre hasn't really changed that much
    AND we (the players) are the real problem
       THEN the important question (which has been asked before) is:  Why is the mmorpg genre the only gaming genre that almost guarantees you will be burnt out after your first major game?
    FPS, RTS, RPG, people pick up one title after another and never have the compaints that nearly every veteran MMO player has. 

Maybe those other genres simply don't appeal as much to the whiney subset of nerds prone to confuse entertainment with an OCD lifestyle choice?

Nice try, but no.

The other major genres have their share of lifeless, obsessive players too.  Not to mention, a good amount of us who complain about MMOs don't even have 30-40 free hours a week to spend on them.  I'm actually pretty busy...still doesn't mean I'm willing to settle for mindless, retard level entertainment when I do have a couple of hours to kill.

Fact is, MMO combat has always sucked complete ass.  That's not even debateable.  Yet, for some unknown reason, MMOs have trimmed down their worlds and gameplay to focus more on combat and small group instances...WHY?  If you want non-stop combat there are plenty of other games that offer some thing more exciting than mashing 1-2-3-4 over and over and pretending that your skill as a player has any effect what so ever. 

Lets cut the bullshit.  Admit that MMO combat sucks and shift the focus back to the features that make the genre unique.

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Lets cut the bullshit.  Admit that MMO combat sucks and shift the focus back to the features that make the genre unique.

Which would be what, exactly? Subscription fees, excessive lag, cutting-edge graphics circa 1990, or enduring all of the above for the sake of watching a 'furry' roleplay a shoe cobbler?

Which would be what, exactly? Subscription fees, excessive lag, cutting-edge graphics circa 1990, or enduring all of the above for the sake of watching a 'furry' roleplay a shoe cobbler?

I was thinking more along the lines of SWG...minus the suck.  The original design of that game was damn close to what an MMORPG should be.  Just ditch the big IP and buy some polish.

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712

I was thinking more along the lines of SWG...minus the suck.  The original design of that game was damn close to what an MMORPG should be.  Just ditch the big IP and buy some polish.

SWG minus the suck? That leaves what, the John Williams soundtrack?

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

LOL

The only thing MMO's offer in regards to gaming is the social aspect. If you want a good gaming experience, look elsewhere.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

IF the genre hasn't really changed that much
    AND we (the players) are the real problem
       THEN the important question (which has been asked before) is:  Why is the mmorpg genre the only gaming genre that almost guarantees you will be burnt out after your first major game?
    FPS, RTS, RPG, people pick up one title after another and never have the compaints that nearly every veteran MMO player has. 

Great post. IMO you are correct. I think the problem with MMO burnout is the fact there is no point where the credits roll and you know its over.  So you pick your MMO  and play it for months or years until you are totally fried and the market is such there is nothing left that doesnt have the been there done that feeling. Shooters, adventure games etc have an ending that you reach before the saturation point. Myself i play a shooter then maybe an RPG or action game then something else, thus it keeps things fresh. With MMO's its just more of the same.

Edit for punctuation.

Ok, seriously.  If you don't think the design of SWG was good (yes, the "design", not the end product) then which MMO did have a good design?  Not like you have a lot of choices outside of that, either the old school grind fests, or the newer, cheesy-instanced-co-op-quest-train-stuff

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

In my opinion, the MMORPG genre has become mainstream, causing the community and roleplaying to be set aside and the focus turned to action and stats.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DeViLzzz2007DeViLzzz2007 Member Posts: 107

What happened ?  They are all the same.  Try playing a different genre of games and you will see variety.  Please don't expect one type of gaming genre to have much variation when there really isn't much room for something different.    Seriously lol

Money is the root of all evil.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by DeViLzzz2007

What happened ?  They are all the same.  Try playing a different genre of games and you will see variety.  Please don't expect one type of gaming genre to have much variation when there really isn't much room for something different.    Seriously lol

What? In MMOs, as opposed to FPS for example, you have the chance to create something new.

You can create a new combat style, non-combat activities, different setting, different role playing options/lore...MMOs got a huge potential to become really fun games.

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

I think a lot of us who have been around the MMO block a few times (so to speak) have outgrown the genre, in it's current form. When you can have richer, more detailed and complex RPG experiences in single player games, without requiring a monthly sub, the MMO lure quickly loses its lustre. (or in my case, slowly but surely).

I for one, am in no rush ro resub to any MMO on the market (or forthcoming) for the time being. Sadly, nothing excites me these days.

• AjninrepuSAjninrepuS Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Lowdos

I think a lot of us who have been around the MMO block a few times (so to speak) have outgrown the genre, in it's current form. When you can have richer, more detailed and complex RPG experiences in single player games, without requiring a monthly sub, the MMO lure quickly loses its lustre. (or in my case, slowly but surely).
    I for one, am in no rush ro resub to any MMO on the market (or forthcoming) for the time being. Sadly, nothing excites me these days.

I agree whole heartedly agree ... I've been playing MMO's since UO came out... Nothing will ever be better than the first one you played for a good amount of time..

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Nothing really happened,theres just new kind of games ,which are not RPG´s ,I have noidea why they want to call those to RPG´s ,its beyond my imagination.

MMOadventuring with chat like WoW or Habbo Hotel

those attracts people and theres nothing new on that ,like tamagotchis etc..did years ago.

just new toys

Generation P