Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who HATES dragon age?

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Tried to upload screenshots but they wouldnt post.

Just keep seeing people complain about the way it looks, Max settings on PC look very good. Cant comment on console as I have not seen those versions.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Drewg

Supposedly Lelaina is also a companion, but only for males. Somehow you can trick her into having a threesome with Zev, and your character. Interesting. Although I still only have her as neutral and not friendly yet...

Actually Leliana goes both ways.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

i am so bored of the game to be honest I am basically forcing myself to play it just so i can say i finished it and im nearly at the end of it. I don't see how it has any replay value from what i heard the first half hour of the game is different but after you leave ostagar the story plays out exactly the same no matter what.

so now I am at nearly the end blowing past all the silly side quests and just doing the main story. game is definately overhyped .

only thing I like about the game is the bickering between Morrigan and Allistar, too bad there is no way to hook those two up seem to be some major sexual tension between them.

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

This game is really interesting. It's something different from I've been accustomed to. My boyfriend wanted to try it out - he's addicted already. As for me, I'm not. I personally like fast-paced combat and no loading screens. For the game itself; it's very polished and great graphics, indeed. The storylines are intriguing and amusing. Love the sense of humor they have, lol. Gotta love Claudia Black - She rocks!!! I probably wouldn't be playing it any longer, though.. I guess I have short attention span or something /shrug

For its genre, it's pretty good. I guess it's still not my type.

Waiting on Modern Warfare 2 :D

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Ravanos

i am so bored of the game to be honest I am basically forcing myself to play it just so i can say i finished it and im nearly at the end of it. I don't see how it has any replay value from what i heard the first half hour of the game is different but after you leave ostagar the story plays out exactly the same no matter what.

so now I am at nearly the end blowing past all the silly side quests and just doing the main story. game is definately overhyped .

only thing I like about the game is the bickering between Morrigan and Allistar, too bad there is no way to hook those two up seem to be some major sexual tension between them.

To each his own, I found the game to have plenty replay value, playing through as a dwarf noble, I'm interested in what happens when you go back to Orz and see Bhelen again.

Oh and for the Alistair and Morrigan not hooking up, don't hold your breath, you may be in for a treat.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by jdnewell

Tried to upload screenshots but they wouldnt post.
    Just keep seeing people complain about the way it looks, Max settings on PC look very good. Cant comment on console as I have not seen those versions.

I got a few. Click them to fullscreen.

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897
    Originally posted by greed0104

Originally posted by Ravanos

To each his own, I found the game to have plenty replay value, playing through as a dwarf noble, I'm interested in what happens when you go back to Orz and see Bhelen again.

Oh and for the Alistair and Morrigan not hooking up, don't hold your breath, you may be in for a treat.

just finished it (THANK GOD) and Morrigan and Allistar didnt hook up, oh well probably because i didn't click through thousands of mindless conversation pieces.

game was meh and like i said i have no intention of replaying it. they should have called it Generic Age: Origins. i Just don't see how people can claim this is a good RPG.

I'm glad i didn't pay for it.

• BasicgearBasicgear Member UncommonPosts: 43

Im a big BioWare fan, Mass Effect is my number 1 favorite single player RPG. But I played Dragon Age and I didnt like it. The combat did seem less exciting than expected, and the story did seem linear.

Ive seen posts here stating that this game is like Mass Effect so players should expect it... This is wrong as Mass Effect was not linear at all.

Just lacked luster, and I raved about its release to all my friends, i feel let down. OH! and the flash version of Dragon Age rocked soo much too. That combat system was so much better to me than the actual game.

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

it's a good game, don't get me wrong, but I think it's a set backwards from Mass Effect in a lot of ways.

First of all - the main character is not voiced which really detracts from immersion since all the other characters are voiced.

Combat in general and boss fights in specific are too much like MMO fights. Combat is honestly pretty boring. You usually need to refight boss fights until you get the hang of it.

The story is ok but not as compelling as Mass Effect's or even KOTOR's.

Maybe Bioware has spoiled me in the past, and Dragon Age is a decent game....but I can't help but feel disappointed.

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by lawnmowerman
    1) Load screens.Lots of them.

The hell are you talking about? There aren't that many loading screens and the ones you do get are usually rather quick.

2) Ok, the story is KIND OF interesting. Doesn't mean I wanna take 3 steps watch a 5 minute cut scene, fight one mob, watch a 5 minute cut scene...etc

Gross exaggeration makes you look as credible as a 5 year old and brings down your entire argument.

3) very , very , very linear. There is no "world". There is a series of linear, very restricted zones. You port from one to the next. "Exploring" consist of bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball between walls, both invisible and not down the corridor that is the "story"

Yes it's a linear rpg, and yes that sucks, but two things...

A. Welcome to Bioware, ever freaking heard of it before today? Didn't think so. No offense, but saying that is like getting in a 747 and saying; "I don't know, this thing sure flys alot..."
    B. Linearity is subjective. Technically if it's not a movie then it's still kinda non-linear. You seem to be exaggerating again. I myself haven't even touched the main story in a good 15-20 hours of gameplay and see no end in sight.

4) combat. Sigh. Revolutionary? Breathtaking? My god. Swing my sword, hit pause, cue attacks, unpause, watch action for 3 seconds, pause again. yeah...takes my breath right away. Guys..."exhilarating combat" generally doesn't involve the pause button.

If you're the kind of person that likes playing as an entire team then maybe, but I hate that crap. I play as one person, and with the tactics, I never EVER have to pause or switch during combat. And the combat it self is fantastic. The first RPG that I can remember that remembers that people not playing mages want to do something cool too. This is either another gross exaggeration from you, or just a flat-out lie. I'm starting to lean my suspicions toward the latter.

5)DLC ON LAUNCH DAY!!!!!!! LOLOLOL

Agreed. DLC at all is complete garbage and the person that invented it needs to be drug out to the middle of the street and freaking shot.

6) partyy system. Meh, this one is personal preference, but I dont want to have to control a party. Game would have been better , imo if it was just me and my hound. When I think of a classic rpg, i think of me. My chararacter.Singular.Micromanaging sucks.

I though you liked playing as an entire party. Why else would you be pausing it and switching to other characters and what not? Alright. Fantastic. I just spent 10 minutes of my life debating someone who hasen't even played the game or is a flat out troll. Thanks a lot.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

I wanted to like dragon age

but they put in mana regen, health regen, and party members can't die.

if I wanted to play a d dumbed down "rpg" I'd install wow.

I was hoping for some real old school baldur's gate type gameplay where if you screwed up you had to reload

Not your party members never die and your at full health 10 seconds after every fight.

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

I don't hate dragonage I just hate the way game reviews were made.  They sugar coded or omited things and basically said it is a great game.   Just seemed like too full of words that said it was good rather then explain the game as what it is and what it is not.      It is a good game you will enjoy it is not what I want from  a view but I want to know why it is good. Or bad. I had to find the negatives about the game from other people vrs a review.  

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I, Personally, love the whole story/movie like game.  I loved Dreamfall: The longest journey.  I'm a big lore/story person.  I haven't played too much of dragon age, but from what I've played, I enjoy.

I don't mind the few small areas I've met.  I'm not worried about LOLCOMBAT THE ENTIRE TIME.  And yes, gosh this seems exactly like lotro as someone mentioned.  Oh wait, no it doesn't. Unless elves/dwarves/humans = lotro.  But wait, Elves in DA are not beautiful, immortal, and the best race. Hmm.  No that's still exactly like lotr!

Anyways, I can understand some younger people not enjoying the game.  They want hack and slash the entire thing, speed through the talking/movies, and get to the end.  That's not Bioware games.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Mount and Blade, a very open world game.  But it's hard to beat how much detail they put into games like this from bioware.

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

I agree with the OP in general that the game isn't all that great.

1 -- The load screens are pretty quick, but yeah each "zone" is very limited in size due to the game being made for both PC and consoles, the latter having severe limits on how big an area can be due to low RAM on consoles. So, for example every floor is its own zone in Redcliffe Castle. If it was developed specifically for the PC, the stairs could just be stairs and not zones so you could move through the castle seamlessly. Unfortunately this is the world we live in now, everything has to be slightly crapified for consoles. :(

2 -- I don't mind cutscenes and story, so this was OK with me.

3 -- I'm not so bothered by the linear story. It's not that bad, as once you start the main quest you can choose whichever order you want to visit the various locations in the world. You may have been a bit spoiled if you recently played Oblivion or Fallout 3.

5 -- DLC on launch day was indeed pretty lame, as was the in-game DLC advertisement NPC.

4 & 6 -- Here I agree wholeheartedly. The combat sucks. You can avoid most of the pausing if you play the game on the Easy skill level, but it's still a chaotic, random mess. The AI of the NPCs is pretty dumb, and tactics doesn't help much. For example, an NPC party member may decide to run half way across a room to attack another group of enemies, splitting up the team. Enemy NPCs also choose their targets strangely, and get quite fixated so that even if I get in an enemy's path and start hitting it, it just ignores me and keeps running toward other characters who might be 30 feet away. The game hints say that enemies pick targets based on who has the highest armor, which is stupid and illogical and in reality doesn't work very well. Also when a group of melee characters try to attack the same target, they get all confused about trying to find a "spot" somewhere around the enemy, and it can look silly as run around trying to find a position.

I also don't like the camera controls - the way they try to give players both an isometric camera and a regular 3rd person camera is stupid. They should have it as a toggle, rather than automatically switching the camera view when you zoom out.

There is a lot that I do like in the game, but unfortunately these negatives drag it way down for me, especially the wacky combat issues obviously.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by abbaba

it's a good game, don't get me wrong, but I think it's a set backwards from Mass Effect in a lot of ways.
    First of all - the main character is not voiced which really detracts from immersion since all the other characters are voiced.
    Combat in general and boss fights in specific are too much like MMO fights. Combat is honestly pretty boring. You usually need to refight boss fights until you get the hang of it.

Maybe Bioware has spoiled me in the past, and Dragon Age is a decent game....but I can't help but feel disappointed.

Yeah the voice was my biggest problem with it. But it could have also taken longer. Remember in ME there were 2 different PC voices male and female and they gave the same lines for each response just in their different tones. in DAO they would have to write different scripts for each race and possibley each sex to cover for everything that sets each orgin apart.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Arndur

Yeah the voice was my biggest problem with it. But it could have also taken longer. Remember in ME there were 2 different PC voices male and female and they gave the same lines for each response just in their different tones. in DAO they would have to write different scripts for each race and possibley each sex to cover for everything that sets each orgin apart.

I'm not so sure. I didn't notice a lot of difference in the NPC voices in different races. I just wish that the choices were clearer. I've had a few times that what I select and what is said aren't exactly what I had in mind.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• LorkLork Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by Arndur

I'm not so sure. I didn't notice a lot of difference in the NPC voices in different races. I just wish that the choices were clearer. I've had a few times that what I select and what is said aren't exactly what I had in mind.

Options<Subtitles<click box.

• TryggviTryggvi Member Posts: 83

Well, Baldur's Gate 2 had tons of lore and story yet I still never really had to play the main storyline very often.  I might have liked Dragon Age better if it hadn't been hyped up to be a spiritual successor to BG2.  BG2 just had so many side quests and easter eggs you could stumble upon.  I would prefer they use the Dragon Age graphical system and just remake BG2 cause I will obviously never appreciate another game as much as I did it.  Kind of like everyone's favorite MMO is usually their first.  Which is my theory on why MMOs will have to die: too many people played WoW as their first and for millions and millions of people MMOs will never get better.

• krakkenkrakken Member Posts: 200

Thanks to the OP, i can 100% agree

Risen was 1000 times better as rpg then dragon age.

dragon age is like a interactive movie or a adventure game at best

the hype about this game is just  exorbitant

Originally posted by krakken

You tried something new and you didn't like it. It's life, get over it.

Originally posted by Lork

People post their opinions about things they don't like that you don't necessarily agree with.  It's life, get over it.

People post shit about people not liking games.  It's life, I need to get over it.

• krakkenkrakken Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by krakken

bahh i'm over it. don't worry

i told you my opinion (and thats what this thread is for) you don't like it. GET OVER IT !

Originally posted by Tryggvi

People post their opinions about things they don't like that you don't necessarily agree with.  It's life, get over it.

People post shit about people not liking games.  It's life, I need to get over it.

Can you read? where did I disagree with him? Don't assume I agreed or disagree with the poster.

It's life, get over it.

I can assume pretty much the obvious.  It's life, get over it.

Why do we keep saying it's life, get over it?  Right afterward we complain about something else.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Couldn't agree more, OP.

This game is weak. It's just a mash up of KotOR and Mass Effect with a typical fantasy setting (a setting done to death, at that). I can't find anything in this game that hasn't been done better save for maybe the beginning of the game with each race/class and origins. Other than that, though, the game is still nothing I haven't seen before.

I expected much more from Bioware.

Then again, I guess I shouldn't expect much more...we're entering an age of consolitis on everything.