Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who HATES dragon age?

Comments

• gimmeapennygimmeapenny Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by lawnmowerman
     I am an older guy so perhaps what i think of as a "good game" is just different from the current generations. Seems "playable movies" are the new thing :(

Guess you missed 6 or 7 solid years of classic PC adventure games and CRPGs. Coma perhaps? 

Some of the best games of all time are point and click adventure games. Grim Fandango is pretty much a cartoon that one plays through, Indiana Jones FOA, Monkey Island just to get the big and best names out there. 

Playing: EVE
    and you better care

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    Originally posted by Frobner

To the OP.
    Dragon age is not for everyone - and never has it claimed to be that.  If you have played any BIoware RPGs you will know what your in for. And if you didn't play any then dont blame DA.
    With that said - DA is a deep game to play and not normal hack and slash.  You actually have to read a little bit - and make disissions.  Thats not for all and personally I play something else if Im tired or not 100% focused.
    I agree on the loading screens - but for me its not a gamebreaking issue in a single player RPG.  Maybe there could have been more text on the loading screen page to give info or hints about the gameplay.
    If you have not played any Bioware rpgs before - then god help you if you think your jumping into WOW or hack and slash.

Actually this is not like Baldur's Gate, at all, and I think you don't have to read anything. Its a very typical hand held RPG. The game forces you to go where you must, and you have zero options for free roaming gameplay. There are tons of side quest that I find to be far closer to tedious than fun. In fact, I've skipped most of them, because they remind me of WoW gameplay.

You're a typical condescending poster who thinks they are far more intelligent than they really are. Come up with somehting more original than saying if you don't like this game you're a WoW fanboi.

• mindmeldmindmeld Member UncommonPosts: 229

Dont care what other thinks i like it and i think its equally good as Baldurs gate2.

Not saying its the same depth but im having a blast and that is what it is all about in the end.

-Semper ubi sub ubi!
    always wear underwear

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Yes, you are the only one who hates Dragon Age.

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

Personally, I'm having a great time with it.  There are a few things that could always be better ( can never have too many character abilities in my opinion) but it is what it is.  I did buy the game knowing what the game was and didn't expect something else.  I enjoy the story and the witty comments between the characters. 

I haven't played Mass Effect because I'm not into the space "thing".  That doesn't mean it's any less of a game just because it doesn't fit my play style and preferences.  Dragon Age is what it is and never said it was anything but what it has lived up to be. 

I do agree that the DLC content was a little irritating after I brought home the CE edition of the PC game and went to camp to see a quest I couldn't play because I had to toss some credits into my wallet but other than that I'm happy with it.  A 9 out of 10, maybe not but an 8 at least.

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by brostyn

Originally posted by Frobner

To the OP.
    Dragon age is not for everyone - and never has it claimed to be that.  If you have played any BIoware RPGs you will know what your in for. And if you didn't play any then dont blame DA.
    With that said - DA is a deep game to play and not normal hack and slash.  You actually have to read a little bit - and make disissions.  Thats not for all and personally I play something else if Im tired or not 100% focused.
    I agree on the loading screens - but for me its not a gamebreaking issue in a single player RPG.  Maybe there could have been more text on the loading screen page to give info or hints about the gameplay.
    If you have not played any Bioware rpgs before - then god help you if you think your jumping into WOW or hack and slash.

Actually this is not like Baldur's Gate, at all, and I think you don't have to read anything. Its a very typical hand held RPG. The game forces you to go where you must, and you have zero options for free roaming gameplay. There are tons of side quest that I find to be far closer to tedious than fun. In fact, I've skipped most of them, because they remind me of WoW gameplay.

You're a typical condescending poster who thinks they are far more intelligent than they really are. Come up with somehting more original than saying if you don't like this game you're a WoW fanboi.

Im not in any way trying to be intelligent.... lol...

If you dont think you have to read anything ...then I can see how you think its same as hand held RPGs.  And you skipped most of the sidequests so how on earth do you know where they lead you ?  How many party members have you found thorugh questing ? 

Its just a Typical Bioware game - like NWN was - just more freedom.  Yes... MORE freedom.

Im not claiming it to be good or bad game.  Im just telling you that if you play it like rushing through then you are not getting what this sort of RPGs are about.  Personally - Im more for playing Torchlight atm than DA since Im really tired after hard day at work. 

If you didn't like it then so be it.  Its not like you have to pay sub to realise that its still the same game in 2 years time. 

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

You miss a lot of stuff in the game if you don't read. Some stuff doesn't even occur as quests, read the codex for some extra stuff to do.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Persephassa

I completely understand the OP's frustration. Bioware games have become 'interactive movies' in a way. Plenty of people do enjoy being strung along through a linear story but there are those that don't. 

Yes, it was always so, but IMO they overdid it here. I really love dialogue, but even I start to feel "meh not ANOTHER cutscene pls". Way too little to decide IMO.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Yes, you are the only one who hates Dragon Age.

No he IS NOT.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ImpyrielImpyriel Member UncommonPosts: 711

From my viewpoint Dragon Age is what it is, an story driven RPG first, an action hack and slash second. The premise is to immerse you into the world with rich dialogue and countless codex entries, similar in style to Elder Scrolls. Even Mass Effect was this way. Dragon Age has a great many of story alteration possibilities as well, but if you are coming into it thinking you are going to get an experience that is more combat than plot, you will be dissapointed. Free-roaming is better kept for ES and Fallout 3 (which I have). This game did what it intended to do and met my expectations fully. It stays in my collection :)

Load Screens - not concerned.

There were a few times when I would chat with someone that contained no real information or choices, but there were so many times when  I wondered if I were a certain race or class if they would of spoke to me more openly. My character had no coersion skills at all so I missed out on all the intimidate/persuade/cunning dialogue. Next playthrough perhaps.

There is a "world" just not in the sense you expected it to be.

Combat was indeed not revolutionary for certain, it at times was downright sluggish. Many times I would hit the button to attack and my character would just stand there. I had Wynne in my party casting haste which made combat a little more interesting. The tactical menu is nice, but can get tedious.

You are right. DLC on launch day was imo was a bit shady and a slap in the face.

I agree too I like to play single player in RPGs, but they did a really decent job with the party system in this one with the behaviour/style setup and tactic slots.

I for one enjoyed the game, Mass Effect is more my style, but this one didn't let me down by any means.

• rebelhero1rebelhero1 Member Posts: 229

I love it.

I've put many hours into it.

To each their own my friend, no need to dog on it.

Playing: *sigh* back to WoW :(
    --------
    Waiting for: SW:TOR, APB, WoD
    ---------
    Played and loved: Eve and WoW
    --------
    Played and hated: WoW:WotLK, Warhammer, every single F2P

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Pros

1. Fantastic story

2. Immersion is well done.

3. The tatical combat is very good.

4. You can customize your own npcs.

5. If you have the pc version you can mod the game.

6. Its made by Bioware.

7. Mabari ftw!

8. Morrigan ftw!

9. A ton of content and got dlc the first day.

10. The loot system is good.

11. The world looks fantastic.

Cons

1. No multiplayer

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Pros
    1. Fantastic story
    2. Immersion is well done.
    3. The tatical combat is very good.
    4. You can customize your own npcs.
    5. If you have the pc version you can mod the game.
    6. Its made by Bioware.
    7. Mabari ftw!
    8. Morrigan ftw!
    9. A ton of content and got dlc the first day.
    10. The loot system is good.
    11. The world looks fantastic.

Cons
    1. No multiplayer

#7 and 8 FTW!

add in the humor from shale and allisters dialogues. Priceless.  Then again the personalities of all the main characters are quite unique and very well done, along with the voice over work, top quality. Easily good enough that ill gladly listen to it all each time i play through the game. I think its an awesome game

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Putting any technical issues aside, which there are a lot of, I am a tad disappointed in DAO.  This is a Bioware game, so it should be held to a higher standard.  Especially considering how good Mass Effect and KOTOR were.

First off, the player has no facial expressions.  Seriously.  My elf rogue looks like he's wired on 20 energy drinks.  He doesn't even blink, which makes him look rather creepy at times, robotic at others.  Shephard in ME would blink, smile, wipe sweat off his brow, snarl when angry, etc.  Even the characters in KOTOR release 6 years ago had facial expressions.

Second, becoming a Gray Warden... does nothing.  In ME, when I became a spectre I got a new skill bar and access to the best weapons.  In KOTOR when I became a Jedi I got new feats and abilities.  In DAO my lvl 5 rogue became a Warden and ... was still a lvl 5 rogue.  Allstair mentioned that "Gray Wardens can sense darkspawn", but if that's the case why do I keep getting jumped by darkspawn rogues all the time?  Gray Wardens have no special skills or abilities.

Specializing doesn't help you much either.  My rogue becomes a dualist and I get ... 1 row of 4 skills to (eventually) get.  Oh and +1 attack too!  After looking forward to specializing it was quite a let down to see that you can actually skip it entirely and it won't gimp your gameplay at all.  

The Sex Scene that Bioware been pushing is lame.  No, actually it's a rather half-a** attempt at a sex scene.  It's more a "cuddle" scene if anything.  Now I am not saying I was looking forward to seeing Morrigan's digital booty, but if you aren't going to do it right then don't do it at all.  Maybe all the whining Fox News did about the sex scene in ME cowed Bioware into toning it down?  Odd thing is, it's a Mature rated game that lists "contains partial nudity" and yet I haven't found ANY yet.  This is double odd considering how hard Bioware was pushing the fact we can get Morrigan in the sack, she's in virtually every trailer bumpin' uglies with the player character.

Finally we can see EA's influence on this game right off the bat.  Besides using the SecuROM malware, they are hitting us up for more money the moment we start the game.  Under your journal there is a PREMIUM CONTENT tab in big all caps, which distracts from your regular quests.  Even in the party camp there is an npc that is reminding you that you have PREMIUM CONTENT that you haven't downloaded yet.  Jeebus EA, I just dropped down $50 and now you want MORE money?!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• DrewgDrewg Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by tkreep

I just thought it was funny when zevran tried to hit on my male character and then i had to reject him and then he betrayed me later.  Only in bioware rpgs.

Zevran hit on me as well. He actually goes both ways funnily enough.

I only chose him in the end because Morrigain only does it with a character once, until the end... If you choose the option anyway.

Supposedly Lelaina is also a companion, but only for males. Somehow you can trick her into having a threesome with Zev, and your character. Interesting. Although I still only have her as neutral and not friendly yet...

Zev will only betray you if his standing towards your player character is under a certain amount, choose the right options when the opportunity arises, and you'll keep him...

Pretty cool game IMO.

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335
    Originally posted by lawnmowerman

I , for one, am perplexed by the hype/reviews of this game. I mean, I get why it's so hyped on this site as mmorpg.com has increasingly lost credence in the journalistic department and seem to be more shills for the highest advertiser than anything at this point...but In my own opinion this game is just...well, not good. Far be it from me to just post nonsense like that without giving you my reasons though:

1) Load screens.Lots of them.
    2) Ok, the story is KIND OF interesting. Doesn't mean I wanna take 3 steps watch a 5 minute cut scene, fight one mob, watch a 5 minute cut scene...etc
    3) very , very , very linear. There is no "world". There is a series of linear, very restricted zones. You port from one to the next. "Exploring" consist of bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball between walls, both invisible and not down the corridor that is the "story"
    4) combat. Sigh. Revolutionary? Breathtaking? My god. Swing my sword, hit pause, cue attacks, unpause, watch action for 3 seconds, pause again. yeah...takes my breath right away. Guys..."exhilarating combat" generally doesn't involve the pause button.
    5)DLC ON LAUNCH DAY!!!!!!! LOLOLOL
    6) partyy system. Meh, this one is personal preference, but I dont want to have to control a party. Game would have been better , imo if it was just me and my hound. When I think of a classic rpg, i think of me. My chararacter.Singular.Micromanaging sucks.

Iv'e got more, but will stop there. Not really designed to be a bash of boware or their game, I just don't like it. Obviously a ton of people do. It just surprises me  is all. I am an older guy so perhaps what i think of as a "good game" is just different from the current generations. Seems "playable movies" are the new thing :(

go back to your  crappy call of duty and halo games LOL!

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I havent tried it, but looking at the gameplay and hearing from a friend that it reminded him of Baldur's Gate(which i hate with every fiber of my being) so i got pretty much turned off right away. I wont try it.

• DrAllcomeDrAllcome Member Posts: 79

I agree I wanted to love it so much but its just crap....

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335
    Originally posted by DrAllcome

I agree I wanted to love it so much but its just crap....

i'd like to hear what you think is a good game 

fallout 3? that game was pure crap!

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Reading through the OP and all of the replies it seems like you all wanted a game that isn't Dragon Age or what Dragon Age is supposed to be.

It's pretty obvious that none of you played Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or even KOTOR.  Or you just forgot what those games are like.

Luckily Dragon Age was supposed to be this type of gameplay and it succeeds in what it's trying to be exceptionally, in my opinion.

Dragon Age is supposed to be a party / turn based RPG heavily focused on the story. 

What it's not supposed to be is 90% of what people posted they were expecting in this thread.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by Dameonk

It's pretty obvious that none of you played Baldur's Gate,

False!

I did play Baldur's Gate, and i hear Dragon's Age reminds people of it (correct me if im wrong). Thats one of the reasons i wont try it, aswell as looking at the graphics and gameplay.

Every man for himself, sure. Tbh, personally im more of a Diablo-guy. Enjoyed game such as Diablo series(as stated), Dungeon Siege series(so epic), Titan's Quest etc etc.

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395

I can see where the OP is coming from.

I like the game, but it was not what I thought it was going to be.  While that is my fault, I wager others had a similar experience.

As far as micromanaging goes, I have your salvation: Easy Mode.  It is like playing a different game.

Engage easy mode and the game plays more like an action RPG rather than EVE meets RTS.  You can change the dificulty modes in game, during play, anytime via the first tab under Options.

The world and story starts out extremely linear but the choices and openess increases as the game plays on.

The cutscenes are cool, but as others have noticed, many are over long and can become even more tedious when being viewed for the 4th time (for those who like to try different class & strategies).  Hitting ESC speeds the scenes up, but be careful, get too spastic with the ESC Key and you will likely answer in a way you did not intend.

I am enjoying the game, but I can see why others might not like it so much.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Maybe it's due to me having the PC version but how could anyone not like the graphics? The game honestly has the best animation and voice work I've seen in ages in a game. The story stays strong, even if the level of difficulty steeply raises as the game progresses.

Really, I think it's just too difficult for most mmorpg players. So probably not the best crew to pitch it towards.

Also admit it, if the majority of your gaming time is spent on mmorpgs you're used to easy.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• Salty777Salty777 Member UncommonPosts: 24

After all the work I did to get morrigan in the sack...I wasn't very impressed with the cut scene...The game is great though, you really feel like you are part of the story, it does a very good job of immersing you into the whole reality of fereldon. And the choices you make really do affect the outcome. So I think bioware has done a great job over all on creating an epic tale, and the freedom to choose whatever you want within the story...I don't think any other game has really reached this level storywise...