Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who HATES dragon age?

Comments

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

It played like Baulder's Gate or a well designed NWN2; and the stories have great content and the game doesn't hold your hand the whole way through. I love it. Might not be for everyone, but it's a greatly crafted game.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• LegsbiterLegsbiter Member CommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by tryklon

Originally posted by Legsbiter

I agree somehow agree with the OP.
    I was hoping for something a lot better than that... I mean c'mon... They made Mass Effect and it rocked. Graphics were good, the story was good, the world was huge, etc. What have they done with DAO?
    The graphics were also... terribad. And the game had EA sign on the box.

^ PS3 version

ahhh   ps3 version

you know what? get a xbox 360 or the pc version and throw that garbage away =P

I had a 360 and with the experience I got with it, nahhhh.

I rarely mind graphic, but from Bioware... what the hell.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

I was hoping for something a lot better than that... I mean c'mon... They made Mass Effect and it rocked. Graphics were good, the story was good, the world was huge, etc. What have they done with DAO?

^ PS3 version

ahhh   ps3 version

Graphics are good, time to move to the pc.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

^ PS3 version

ahhh   ps3 version

Believe me, ive played both versions side by side, 360 and ps3, and the ps3 version is way worse.

May be because the ps3 hardware is crap, dont know (they cant even put gran turismo 5 out in that thing).

Either way is easy, go to a store and ask to make the side by side comparison.

The PC version, the one i play, has excellent graphics, and doesnt demand a top computer. So, i really cant see how graphics in this game can be criticized. Dont blame Bioware for a consoles limitations

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

...personally I love it. Its right up there with NWN and Baldors Gate for myself.

From what Im reading yuor too picky but thats just my assumption. I disagree with all your points lol

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

Didnt like the game mechanism at all. But then again Ive played pc games for 10 years soon so its not a suprise that Im not impressed. :) 

edit; its the damn same thing over and over again. Last hope to play a good rpg for awhile is now mass effect 2. There you have seomthing special (same game in space :p

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• glofishglofish Member UncommonPosts: 346

I don't hate it - but I am dissapointed. I wish there was more open world to it.

Combat is insanely difficult - if you pick the wrong type of main character. Every fight seems to be the same, everyone gets surrounded and you have to AOE them down.

Mobs just stand there if you observe from afar- there is no movement, patrols etc.  no sense of world.

I don;t mind the 50 bucks I spent on it, I am happy to get any large scale RPG but boy there are some lost opportunities there

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

So, I have the PS3 version, and while I don't HATE the game, I just don't find it all that engrossing.

My PROS:

Excellent Voice Acting
    Good Music
    Interesting story and plot development

My CONS:

Combat leaves me wanting more and is a bit boring. You use your special abilities than have to wait for the global cooldown, all the while just watching your guy autoattack. It sucks. On top of dying very fast when any ranged magic user boss type decides to pelt your main character to death.

Graphics: My camera is forever stuck behind my toon and I cannot zoom it out to enjoy the environment. Which also stinks.

Invisible walls/Instanced zones: Not much for explorers in this game.

Story interaction phases: This seems to comprise about 90% of the game, basically me just clicking a line of story to hear even more line of story, over and over and over. I hated this about Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect. I don't mind a little story,or choices in that story, but give me stuff in movies not written dialogue that takes chunks of my life away to listen too.

So, I would rate it about 5-6/10. Thinking about trading it in already, maybe picking up Modern Warfare 2 or Borderlands.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I haven't played it yet my brother started today but from screens and information I saw and read it's nothing that spetacular more a 9.0/10 lol

It's same old same old with less content to explore but more graphics wow what joy.

I'll try it but from what I heard from a friend it's not that long.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

I haven't played it yet my brother started today but from screens and information I saw and read it's nothing that spetacular more a 9.0/10 lol
    It's same old same old with less content to explore but more graphics wow what joy.
    I'll try it but from what I heard from a friend it's not that long.

Longer then you think. I have played through 4 times, according to my completion percentage, it stands at 70. Four different endings, six origins to experience and alternative alliances. I suppose if you only play through, skip every side quest, don't build a relationship with companions and avoid all the origins/endings the game will be short.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by lawnmowerman

I , for one, am perplexed by the hype/reviews of this game. I mean, I get why it's so hyped on this site as mmorpg.com has increasingly lost credence in the journalistic department and seem to be more shills for the highest advertiser than anything at this point...but In my own opinion this game is just...well, not good. Far be it from me to just post nonsense like that without giving you my reasons though:

1) Load screens.Lots of them.
    2) Ok, the story is KIND OF interesting. Doesn't mean I wanna take 3 steps watch a 5 minute cut scene, fight one mob, watch a 5 minute cut scene...etc
    3) very , very , very linear. There is no "world". There is a series of linear, very restricted zones. You port from one to the next. "Exploring" consist of bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball between walls, both invisible and not down the corridor that is the "story"
    4) combat. Sigh. Revolutionary? Breathtaking? My god. Swing my sword, hit pause, cue attacks, unpause, watch action for 3 seconds, pause again. yeah...takes my breath right away. Guys..."exhilarating combat" generally doesn't involve the pause button.
    5)DLC ON LAUNCH DAY!!!!!!! LOLOLOL
    6) partyy system. Meh, this one is personal preference, but I dont want to have to control a party. Game would have been better , imo if it was just me and my hound. When I think of a classic rpg, i think of me. My chararacter.Singular.Micromanaging sucks.

Iv'e got more, but will stop there. Not really designed to be a bash of boware or their game, I just don't like it. Obviously a ton of people do. It just surprises me  is all. I am an older guy so perhaps what i think of as a "good game" is just different from the current generations. Seems "playable movies" are the new thing :(

No one ever said it was innovative, and there are no Bioware games that aren't linear. They're all VERY linear, because they're all story focused, not player focused. It's just a well made story that people enjoy with some nice visuals. All Bioware games are like this, the Star Wars game will not be different, just a linear single player game. 

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Its a 10/10 in my book. Of course I bought the game knowing full well what would be in it. If I want open world player driven I have Bethesda if I want a kick ass story I have Bioware. I enjoy each game for what it is and Dragon Age excels in what it was said to be therefor it gets 10/10.

Also about the DLC its a incentive to buy the game new thats all. Shale and the armour come with the game as long as its new.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by lawnmowerman

I , for one, am perplexed by the hype/reviews of this game. I mean, I get why it's so hyped on this site as mmorpg.com has increasingly lost credence in the journalistic department and seem to be more shills for the highest advertiser than anything at this point...but In my own opinion this game is just...well, not good. Far be it from me to just post nonsense like that without giving you my reasons though:

1) Load screens.Lots of them.
    2) Ok, the story is KIND OF interesting. Doesn't mean I wanna take 3 steps watch a 5 minute cut scene, fight one mob, watch a 5 minute cut scene...etc
    3) very , very , very linear. There is no "world". There is a series of linear, very restricted zones. You port from one to the next. "Exploring" consist of bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball between walls, both invisible and not down the corridor that is the "story"
    4) combat. Sigh. Revolutionary? Breathtaking? My god. Swing my sword, hit pause, cue attacks, unpause, watch action for 3 seconds, pause again. yeah...takes my breath right away. Guys..."exhilarating combat" generally doesn't involve the pause button.
    5)DLC ON LAUNCH DAY!!!!!!! LOLOLOL
    6) partyy system. Meh, this one is personal preference, but I dont want to have to control a party. Game would have been better , imo if it was just me and my hound. When I think of a classic rpg, i think of me. My chararacter.Singular.Micromanaging sucks.

Iv'e got more, but will stop there. Not really designed to be a bash of boware or their game, I just don't like it. Obviously a ton of people do. It just surprises me  is all. I am an older guy so perhaps what i think of as a "good game" is just different from the current generations. Seems "playable movies" are the new thing :(

You need to be more secure with yourself. It's  ok to have opinions without anybody feeling the same way.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

I disagree with everything listed in the OP. They're either non issues or simply not even true. So I'm going to just throw it out there, suggest you don't like RPGs, and suggest you find a new genre because Dragon Age is nothing short of amazing. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

I haven't played it yet, and I'll give it a fair try before I buy at a friends, but the DLC and the npc that bugs you to buy sounds like a real turn off. We'll see.

As far as the whole Bioware rpg thing goes, I've noticed my patience for their style of game has drastically reduced over time. Especially with sequels. Loved Baldur's Gate. 2, not so much. Loved Kotor, kotor2, not so much. Didn't finish Jade whatever.

I guess their style is too unique. They need to try something different. Also, since the advent of MMO's my patience for storylines on rails has also drastically been reduced.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by FreddyNoNose

I need to be more secure with myself. Its ok if people don't like games that I like.

fixd

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

I personally enjoyed the game very much. It took me 68h77m to finish the game with my Human/Noble Warrior and currently I started playing a Dwarf/Commoner Rogue.

The story is really great and if you read Dragon Age, The Stolen Throne and Dragon Age, The Calling then you actually get to appreciate the world alot more.

People complain about the combat but I guess they missed what Bioware ALWAYS said. Dragon Age: Origins is supposed to be the spiritual successor of Baldurs Gate and to me it surely hasn't disappointed me.

I like the animations, like the one below when fighting.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I don't hate it, but I'm not sure I like it.

I bought it the day of release, and have only played maybe 10 hours. I just don't have the motivation to load it up.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I would not (yet?) say I hate it. But the longer I play the less I like it. I loved KOTRO and ME, but Dragon Age... I agree with the OP points. Too many LONG loadscreens, too often stuck in uber long cutscenes... but mostly for me it gets way too dark and depressive. I play games for escapism not to depress me.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• GoldviceGoldvice Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by mokoleus

i love the game, for the most part. a few things that do truly bother me about it though. it's basically a rip of final fantasy 12... but for the most part, that was the only true good final fantasy, in my opinion, since the snes. addressing your complaints in order though.

I'm glad your post isn't completely negative, but you have some facts twisted around.  I can see plenty of influence from fantasy literature like lord of the rings and some george rr martin stuff, and perhaps some other games, Heroes of Might and Magic Crusader involved the imposing Blight, but if you want to look at the real roots of the game to 1998 when Baldur's Gate came out.  The art style, the dialogue, the combat system and everything is pretty much an evolution of the Baldur's Gate system.  I'll explain more about what I mean by that in a second.  In any event, I don't see anything at all similar to FF12 and Dragon Age aside from the fact they're both RPGs and both video games.  Baldur's gate BTW was based largely on Advanced D & D and even had the option of implementing pure D & D rules into the game.  While Dragon Age is not exactly like Baldur's Gate, it is the only game since Icewind Dale II that actually captures the spirit of the Baldur's Gate series.  NWN 1 and 2 were both hampered by the technology levels at that time.  Both were too ambitious and had to be scaled back.  That kept them from being as fantastic as the games done in the original Baldur's Gate engine.  Dragon Age captures some of the feel of of the BG series by giving it a painted style of art and music that's reminiscent of the originals, even the random encounters while traveling from one location to another.  If someone hasn't played those originals they might have trouble understanding the spirit of the game.

1. load times, yup, suck, way to many screens, and pets de-spawn during them. 

2. i really like the story, mostly due to actually great voice acting, and incredibly well written dialogue. Claudia Black as Morrigan is freaking awesome, and the actor who does Zevran is great. the story is a re-hash of biowares last few games, but overall, i'm liking this version more then mass effect and kotor.

3. incredibly linear, can't argue that part at all. you can choose what order you do the linear stuff, but ya, not really much of a world... just like every other 3d game bioware made. bioware doesn't really make worlds anymore. one of the reasons i'm not hyped about the old republic.

While the game might not be as free roaming as some may have wished, this criticism of being too linear is way overblown.  Too linear compared to what?  Maybe too linear compared to what?  It's not nearly as linear as the Dungeon Siege series, yet those are both amazing, revered games and even less linear than some other RPG's like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. great also, nonetheless.  When you go to each location you have total choice of what order you want to do the quests in.  You also can go back to other locations if you want, provided you aren't in one of those battles where the door locks till you've won.  The game doesn't put you on a map and give you complete free roam of the map, but it's only linear if you choose the fastest route to advancing the plot at every option.

4. combat, revolutionary, yup, it is. when final fantasy 12 did it a few years ago. was a huge breath of fresh air, for single player rpgs at the time. one of my favorite changes to the final fantasy games. i'm actually amazed how much of ff12s system bioware used. i guess i should state, that i hadn't previously played a rpg with a combat system like ff12s before, so i'm not sure if anyone else did it prior to that, but it was my first time i encountered it, and i love it. for me though, i rarely ever "pause" the game, in combat, more then i did in ff12, in ff12 you could go thru all your skills without pausing, an option i wish bioware had added.

I can't believe you even said that, especially since you reference Kotor and Baldur's gate in your post.  Don't you realize Kotor came out three years before Final Fantasy 12?  Kotor was in 2003 and FF12 was 2006.  Bioware even released a 2nd game, Kotor II to really set the standard of their signature party control system in 2005.  Mass Effect was just a slightly refined variation of the Kotor system and Dragon Age is really just a mix between the Mass Effect effect system and the hot bar from Baldur's Gate for attack management.  It really is the signature Bioware RPG party control system.  How the hell can you say Bioware stole it from FF12?  That's like saying Blizzard didn't invent the Diablo control system.  If anything FF12 ripped theirs off from Bioware.  If you really think about it the Kotor system is almost just the Baldur's Gate control system in 3D anyway.  BG had a button to for follow mode or single character mode.  You could put any character at the head of the party...and so on.  My main grievance with the control system going from BG to DAO is that BG had formations.  I really wish DOA had formations.

5. ya, that pissed me off, i bought the collectors edition, which got me all the DLC, aside wardens keep. but it's EA man, thats what they do. hell, the need for speeds like pro-street, actually allow you to fix your cars with real money....

Sure DLC was a pain, but guess what.  I fell sucker to it.  I paid the 7$ and it stung, but I got it and loved very minute of it and am still enjoying the chest I got from that.  I'm not happy for having to pay for it to get an addon this early, but I feel like the enjoyment i get out of it is worth the 7$ bucks.  The one thing I do feel a little irritated about is that the CE is an extra 25 bucks but you really don't get that much more.  3 sort of cool in game items and the steel case and a pretty awesome cloth map, but if you ask someone to buy a metal box with 3 in game items and a cloth map, what would most people do?  I feel like Warden's Keep should have come with the CE version.

6. this isn't even a real complaint man. you say it's personal preference, but really, it's a bioware game. have you not ever played a game from bioware? have they ever released a game that didn't revolve around parties? i love micro-managing myself. but i'm a huge baldurs gate fan.

my main complaint, is that some of the random encounters, when you travel, are harder then most of the boss fights. haven't really had any problems with boss fights, though i've been wiped out by a group of bandits, that had a few mages casting fireball from a upper ridge. i've had encounters that have decimated me in seconds, yet, haven't lost to a boss yet...

Anyway, some of these people are just going to keep thinking what they want to.  The only reason I responded to yours was you weren't as dogmatic about it...just misguided a little:)

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

GOTY for me. Feels like the good old days where story and characters have presidence.

This game really shines on the pc though. I'd never have considered buying it for a console, If I had the choice.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Ethian

...personally I love it. Its right up there with NWN and Baldors Gate for myself.
    From what Im reading yuor too picky but thats just my assumption. I disagree with all your points lol

I would give it a 9/10 myself, a very good game and I have had a blast playing it, but like anything else it might not appeal to every type of gamer.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

With advertising dollars paving the way its hard to get an honest review of any game.  When i asked a friend if it was linear and contained a lot of cut scenes he said it did and it was awsome. :)  Guess awsome is relative. Im going to give this game a pass until a used one comes along at a cheap price.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

With advertising dollars paving the way its hard to get an honest review of any game.  When i asked a friend if it was linear and contained a lot of cut scenes he said it did and it was awsome. :)  Guess awsome is relative. Im going to give this game a pass until a used one comes along at a cheap price.

Great idea.  I enjoy the game and there is nothing wrong with waiting for it to come down to the bargin bin before picking it up.  Especially if you feel ANY reservations on the game at all.

It has a NWN feel to it.  Prolly the only RPG aside from Oblivion I have played in the last few years so, not much to compare it too.  It is not as static feeling as Mass Effect. 

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• zero0utzero0ut Member Posts: 7

I tried it and  did not do well. Then i went to the internet and read up on some stratagies.

Tried it again and did better.

still was having problems

Tried it with a different class and did even better!

Then i realized that if i wanted to do well in the game you really had to pause after each of the party members attacks and queue them up no matter what,

I uninstalled it three times in frustration and finally left it off my PC.

I really liked the story, voice acting and the atmosphere. The real killer for me was the micromanagement of the fights.

Especially during the more involved encounters