Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who HATES dragon age?

1789101113»

Comments

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

I must admit I was pretty dissapointed with the game. For me, one of the main issues is simply the balance between Warrior/Rogue/Classes. Playing as a Mage on Nightmare mode is 10 times easier than a Warrior on normal. It's ridiculous. Things like attack range, miss rate, lack of visual targeting system and selection soon start stacking up to provide a frustrating experience. 

Also the fact there's a cut scene every few minutes is very annoying. It made me reinstall the original NWN though so it wasn't all bad.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Raztor  I must admit I was pretty dissapointed with the game. For me, one of the main issues is simply the balance between Warrior/Rogue/Classes. Playing as a Mage on Nightmare mode is 10 times easier than a Warrior on normal. It's ridiculous. Things like attack range, miss rate, lack of visual targeting system and selection soon start stacking up to provide a frustrating experience.    Also the fact there's a cut scene every few minutes is very annoying. It made me reinstall the original NWN though so it wasn't all bad.
    Likewise, except it made me want to play the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series again. image
  • falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385

not sure, but everyone ive talked ot liked it. Personally I have played it yet mainly cause ive been busy playing an mmorpg or the new Batman Asylum game, or Call of Duty.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Didn't think it was anything special at all. 

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

To sum it up: I like Dragon Age so far.

Leveling, Stats, Builds, Equipment. For my taste it's just about right. Not too much loot. Not too much inflated levels. Not too much inflated stats. In comparison to NWN & NWN2 they toned down the level advancement "configuration". They adhered to D&D there but it was just too much. Too many Skills to train. Too many feats to choose from. Leveling up felt like you needed hours just to decide what to train. It just feels more straight forward with Dragon Age. Besides, who needed to see which alignment party members were or other stats that you really wouldn't care about? Character progression is not measured by pure numbers only, but rather by advancing through the story and interacting with NPCs, too.

The grafic / game engine feels like "KotoR gone fantasy". It's OK. I'll admit the areas feel a little restricted, especially when you know how some MMOs have handled "seamless worlds".

Personally I like that you control the party and you have to micro manage in combat. If you don't like the micromanagement, you can customize tactics via tactics screen. For me it's just a necessity to do the micromanagement myself, just to place crowd control spells to the right targets and make sure everyone focuses on the same target to get it down faster. The first fight with an ogre was almost "epic". Didn't have that much fun for quite some time and it didn't even matter that the ogre didn't drop anything. Especially all the little gimmicks (e.g. combat animations or special attacks from monsters) are well done.

The story is good so far. You're faced with lots of choices. Well, at least it's more meaningful choices than you have in MMOs (where it's mainly which gear to go for or the fastest way to level cap or where to farm ingredients for crafting / consumables).

Well, if the thread starter doesn't like the game, can there be done anything? Dunno.

• shalldoomshalldoom Member UncommonPosts: 106

The slow ass combat killed it for me...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by shalldoom

Well, just put it on easy mode and keep pauses to a minimum. that's what I did.

Sometimes changing it to normal if it was still "easy". but making decisions on the fly and switching between your party made the combat very satisfying and it flowed quite nicely.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • k44mosk44mos Member Posts: 22

I didn't find it fun to play. Not at all.

I reckon others found it fun to play.

I didn't find that urge to continue playing and find out what the heck is happening. The characters weren't at all that interesting.

I don't know really ... I can't say it was a bad game but not as great as everybody is yelling.

I didn't like Mass Effect either ... so ... maybe that's why I found DA so boring.

I still play BG2 and when I want some hardcore slaying I just venture into IWD2 ..........

I found DA superficial even as a story. They just can't come up with something really interesting. But on the other hand, I just want to have fun playing games. If I have fun and if the game does have a good story, than happier indeed.

I am sick of all the " pro gaming " sites that brainwash the mainstream public.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

I stopped dragon age to play my current MMO but I loved it when I was playing. I can understand that some folks may not like it though. Its not exactly fast paced from what I could tell. Its about the story rather then the mobs and loot. I actually can't wait to get back into it the new year.   :-)

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by lawnmowerman

I , for one, am perplexed by the hype/reviews of this game. I mean, I get why it's so hyped on this site as mmorpg.com has increasingly lost credence in the journalistic department and seem to be more shills for the highest advertiser than anything at this point...but In my own opinion this game is just...well, not good. Far be it from me to just post nonsense like that without giving you my reasons though:

1) Load screens.Lots of them.
    2) Ok, the story is KIND OF interesting. Doesn't mean I wanna take 3 steps watch a 5 minute cut scene, fight one mob, watch a 5 minute cut scene...etc
    3) very , very , very linear. There is no "world". There is a series of linear, very restricted zones. You port from one to the next. "Exploring" consist of bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball between walls, both invisible and not down the corridor that is the "story"
    4) combat. Sigh. Revolutionary? Breathtaking? My god. Swing my sword, hit pause, cue attacks, unpause, watch action for 3 seconds, pause again. yeah...takes my breath right away. Guys..."exhilarating combat" generally doesn't involve the pause button.
    5)DLC ON LAUNCH DAY!!!!!!! LOLOLOL
    6) partyy system. Meh, this one is personal preference, but I dont want to have to control a party. Game would have been better , imo if it was just me and my hound. When I think of a classic rpg, i think of me. My chararacter.Singular.Micromanaging sucks.

Iv'e got more, but will stop there. Not really designed to be a bash of boware or their game, I just don't like it. Obviously a ton of people do. It just surprises me  is all. I am an older guy so perhaps what i think of as a "good game" is just different from the current generations. Seems "playable movies" are the new thing :(

Odd post. Basically the guy bought an apple then complains it is an apple and he wanted an orange. Go play Diablo.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by shalldoom

Well, just put it on easy mode and keep pauses to a minimum. that's what I did.

Sometimes changing it to normal if it was still "easy". but making decisions on the fly and switching between your party made the combat very satisfying and it flowed quite nicely.

THis is how my brother plays.

HE plays the game on Xbox and uses a warrior with a big two hand weapon.

He enjoys it.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• Burngrass99Burngrass99 Member Posts: 45

You're not alone Buddy :)

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

How?  I mean, didn't you know what you were getting when you bought it?

DA:O is a well planned out RPG.  I absolutely love DA:O personally, but I have played a lot of older RPGs such as Baulders Gate 1&2, Planescape: Torment, NWN, Fallout 1&2.... and other such games.

What you want is Diablo 3, a hack & slash action RPG.  If you can't wait for D3, I suggest either Torchlight or Sacred 2.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Ethian
    I stopped dragon age to play my current MMO but I loved it when I was playing. I can understand that some folks may not like it though. Its not exactly fast paced from what I could tell. Its about the story rather then the mobs and loot. I actually can't wait to get back into it the new year.   :-)

If it's about the story then it isn't really anything fantastic.

It's a typical fantasy setting. Dark fantasy my ass.

• LexiscatLexiscat Member Posts: 204

Only played the computer version.

I restarted twice to increase the difficulty, and find even Nightmare not to be challenging enough, but it was more fun then Normal.

Other night I killed the High Dragon on Nightmare.  Once you figure out how to use taunts, and learn when to use auto movement and when not too the game becomes so much easier.

Spoiler: Stack fire resist on your Warrior (I used the Juggernaut set), make sure he isn't in melee range of the Dragon but still holding agro, and set the rest of your party spread out in a wide circle with ranged weapons/abilities. Its even easier if you run with 2 mages (Morrigan and Wynn), one to keep buffs on the Warrior and one to Heal. I used a Ranged Spec Rogue for Damage.

Overall though the game isn't hard enough. Needs to have unforgiving traps and encounters. Every fight shouldn't be winnable in my opinion.

“Nothing excites jaded Grandmasters more than a theoretical novelty”

• MuddeMudde Member Posts: 53

This game follows in a long line of excellent works from Bioware.

Bioware and Blizzard - I personally think these are the two best gaming cults.

They have to be cults to continuously pull off such great story-lines.

These aren't  games. These are interactive applications. 

So yes, you are.

My name is...

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Mudde

This game follows in a long line of excellent works from Bioware.
    Bioware and Blizzard - I personally think these are the two best gaming cults.
    They have to be cults to continuously pull off such great story-lines.
    These aren't  games. These are interactive applications. 

So yes, you are.

I would add in Valve and bethesda as awesome pc developers also.

Those four companies are the reason I still play PC games.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum