Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is VG not the top MMO?

I like alot of them, but seriously, was the poor launch?

The game has a vast world, amazing graphics, especially cranked up.

Crafting, flying mounts, ships, sandbox, PVE, PVP...it is all there.

Especially, if people like PVE and grouping and amazing content with a helluva great sandbox, why not VG??

I see new games coming out all the time and this one really is deep, seems it ought to be in the same coversation as LOTRO, Aion, FE and Darkfall...at the very least. Though I think it is better, although DF and LoTRO have great features as well and DF is innovating.

Have you tried VG...thoughts?

Comments

• HeyitschrisHeyitschris Member Posts: 49

it`s all about the launch

• sebwhitesebwhite Member Posts: 11

I loved VG, you are 100% correct. I only left because I was there alone. Hours not even running into another player. This was a year or so ago but as for the game, was great. Its endless, you can get lost in the world (in a good way) and it does have everything. I would have played longer if I would have met people and I did have many issus with wierd bugs that would tick me off, I'm sure those are fixed by now. Its so cheap to buy now that anyone looking into it should give it a try. I got my copy for $5 on Ebay brand new and I got the free month of game time. This game is good, just need to get the word out so more people try it. It can be one of the best.

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

I didn't find much of it fun, true there was alot to do but I kept saying "Whats the point". The Adventuring isn't any different then any other MMO and I found the crafting and the diplomacy to be too repetitive. The game looks great, the world is huge but I never knew why I was there.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by Elreic

I like alot of them, but seriously, was the poor launch?
    The game has a vast world, amazing graphics, especially cranked up.
    Crafting, flying mounts, ships, sandbox, PVE, PVP...it is all there.
    Especially, if people like PVE and grouping and amazing content with a helluva great sandbox, why not VG??
    I see new games coming out all the time and this one really is deep, seems it ought to be in the same coversation as LOTRO, Aion, FE and Darkfall...at the very least. Though I think it is better, although DF and LoTRO have great features as well and DF is innovating.

Have you tried VG...thoughts?

Was good before SOE made drastic changes to the whole game. Other than the technical problems the game design didn't need to be changed.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by mmcguire2

I didn't find much of it fun, true there was alot to do but I kept saying "Whats the point". The Adventuring isn't any different then any other MMO and I found the crafting and the diplomacy to be too repetitive. The game looks great, the world is huge but I never knew why I was there.

Yeah I'm coming from the same place.

Bought the game, did 30 hours of downloads and updates. I play'd past the "noob" area, but honestly when I got out of the noob area there was just a lack of direction. Didn't know where to go to quest, didn't know where to go to grind, didn't know where the major cities where. And in the end just lost intrest.

(As a side note: i'm not saying lack of direction is good or bad, but take FFXI for example. nothing from the actual game world said that you had to go level in the dunes from lvl 11-19ish. BUT all of the players told you, that it is the place to be. So just like in VG if they actually had players i'm sure my experience would have been much much diffrent, and the reson they don't have players = terrible release)

Moral of the story, get a game finished before you release it :D

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• GamesmithGamesmith Member Posts: 67

I know it's unprecedented, but why can't MMO's "relaunch"?

If done correctly, it could work. With proper advertising, a price drop plus extended trial period (say 2-3 months) and a promise of a fresh start for all new players, they could really rejuvenate interest in a game.

Offer something(s) of note to all veterans so that they are recognizable to all new players if they decide to reroll on one of the new servers.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Because of its current state.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Why is this not in the Vanguard forums? That's a better question.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

put back equipment expertise.  put in place the dynamic scaling mob system that was spoken so highly of before beta (yeah, it was a programming nightmare, part of the reason all the code is so fragmented still to this day, etc) and i'll be back.  BoD killed my interest in the game in it's current state.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • dacoftydacofty Member Posts: 15

VG is a good MMO, currently playing it.  I find it better than most AAAs out there.  I like that fact that you have to go find quest and not be led by the hand and point to quests.  You basicly make it your own direction not handed a jump rope and skip from quest to quest.  It seems more and more ppl are finding VG daily.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Dewm

(As a side note: i'm not saying lack of direction is good or bad, but take FFXI for example. nothing from the actual game world said that you had to go level in the dunes from lvl 11-19ish. BUT all of the players told you, that it is the place to be.

The funny part about this is that there are places I'd rather level 11 to 19 aside from the Dunes, but you can't persuade people to go elsewhere.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by dacofty

VG is a good MMO, currently playing it.  I find it better than most AAAs out there.  I like that fact that you have to go find quest and not be led by the hand and point to quests.  You basicly make it your own direction not handed a jump rope and skip from quest to quest.  It seems more and more ppl are finding VG daily.

Well the simple answer to the question your posts title seems to ask is.  For the same reason that LOTRO is not the top rated game and that is that one person does not determine for the entire community what is top or what is even good.  The reason you name as what you like about VG is one thing I would/do hate about any mmo and that is having to search for things to do.  Why would "knowing" where the quests were equate to whatever jump roping you are talking about?  I play LOTRO I do whatever quests I chose to or none at all for that matter but I atleast know where the quests are what's wrong with that?  I don't know more and more people are probably finding VG daily but are those numbers truly worth reporting?  As in for a game that had a spotty release are the numbers truly increasing that much?  I for one doubt it is any more so than they are finally reaching a state of playability and maybe starting to retain players but other than that I'm not seeing some big buzz for this game.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

These days you get one chance to succeed, and VG failed at launch for which it never recovered.

Not the only game to make this mistake of course, but its sufferred worse than some others from a lack of serious attention by SOE.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Kyleran

These days you get one chance to succeed, and VG failed at launch for which it never recovered.
    Not the only game to make this mistake of course, but its sufferred worse than some others from a lack of serious attention by SOE.

I think in addition to the serious lack of attention by SOE it has also suffered from SOE itselfs reputation.  There are quite a few people who I'd bet are out there who still will not give SOE money again ever (I have a cousin who fits that criteria) and also some others who are skeptical enough that they won't try an SOE game without serious recommendation from a highly trusted source (me).  I've heard from a few friends the game isn't really all that bad but I've never been very fond of whatever SOE does graphically (all of there games look bad to me).  And while I won't automatically rule out an SOE product I will not play anything so closely related to John Smedley.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

The game is one of the better PVE games out there, but most of its fans left disgusted at the release.  It would take some major advertising to change that, and SOE doesn't seem to be interested in that.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

VG is one of the top 3 mmo's in my books.Subscriptions mean nothing,for the simple reason that even if VG was 10x better than say WOW ,those players are not going to leave their players to join another game.There is a few million gamers moving around game to game,not many of them willing to stay in games for the long run,and most go to the hype.

There is no question VG meets or betters the standards of game design in most every category,so quality means nothing,it is all about a following and hype and timing.I mean geesh there is some pretty brutal games out there making a ton of money,nothing to do with quality either,just gimmicks and again timing.There is games on Facebook and the Iphone doing quite well,really ridiculous gimmicks people go for.

I think if Microsoft had of stuck by Vanguard ,it would be VERY successful,but remember again ,it was released long after WOW,so it had no chance of big numbers.It is also basically an unknown game over seas,witch is driving the only other modestly successful game AION.AOC and WAR also had early big numbers,i will expect AION's to drop off dramatically also,as the game is not really that good.

MY top rated games for over all design/content is FFXI/EQ2/VG.Imo there is a bunch of games lumped into the middle of the pack ,but these 3 show me a lot of effort was put into thought and design.If someone asked me to make VG better i would have a hard time,that is how good the game is.The things i would change are all small ideas and no real major flaws.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

Vanguard was ahead of its time.  Also the mmorpg genre had been saturated with people with poor taste, since WoW brought a lot of that in....being that it was very mainstream.  I think that crowd basically influenced those that had good tastes, and eventually word got round that "Vanguard is soo....*fill in negative comment*" so that put the kabash on things since people like playing populous mmorpgs.

Vanguard would have been perfect for letting the players develop their own world and sense of adventure, its really not something that has been seen in an mmo since.  I personally thought at the time, with the failure of Vanguard, it'd be the last of its kind.  I really hope it isn't, if we are all forced to settle for McDonalds I'm going to be pissed off.  Vanguard would have had great expansion ability as well, they could have added some pretty cool pvp with the massive world it had.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Vanguard at launch, while being the most fun I've had in an MMO since Dark Age of Camelot, was unplayable for the vast majority of people and was missing tons of the features that were promised. 

Eventually, all the performance and bug issues have been fixed, and this would draw people back to it, except that SoE seem to be trying to kill the game. They never ever announce any news for it, no expansions, they don't put any new people working on it. The game is superior in every way to EverQuest 1 and 2, but SoE cannot have a non EQ game ruling the top of their MMO list. It's the best PvE MMO out there at the moment, or it was, but whoever runs it now is slowly making it more and more like WoW. Fast travel, sparkling quest objects everywhere, simplified game experience, less death penalty, faster xp. All the things that made it unique are being pulled out. 

And lastly, we know its not going anywhere. Because SoE refuses to support it, we know the game is on the decline, not the rise. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

In my opinion Vanguard isn't the "top" mmo, because it doesn't deliver a top mmo experience. 

There are a few things that vanguard really excels at and those few things make the game appear wonderful.  They really do present a very good impression of the game and offer some great aspects.  Just to emphasize this, I think it does some things that are so good I wish other games would adopt those aspects.  

Otherwise, the game is filled with a whole lot of potential, which is just a buzzword to describe things that are lacking in delivery.  You could almost substitute the word potential with "meh" in any discussion about vanguard and the meaning of the sentence would remain almost unchanged. 

One step further and you see a game that even the company running it doesn't have faith in its future.  The lead developer talks like a broken man in reposnse to questions.  The players who love the game speak in similar tones of "play vanguard for what it is".  The game is almost 3 years old and is just approaching the state it should have been at release.  None of that sends a very positive message for new players to invest their time playing vanguard. 

Vanguard could have been a top mmo, but it that isn't how it was managed by any company that was involved with it.  It is a damn shame too. 

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

If you liked Vanguard, give Darkfall a shot.  An expansion is coming out any day that will add more goodness to an already good successor to Vanguard.

It's got a huge handcrafted, uninstanced world.

Ships.

Player cities, villages, hamlets and housing.  (Expansion will add vendor capability to housing)

Smarter than typically MMO's AI

FFA (free for all) full loot pvp

It does not have as good of crafting but patches and expansions have been addressing every player issue so maybe crafting will be getting more love soon.

Here is a video:

www.youtube.com/user/DFValroth

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Bad launch, the game released 1-2 years early, and engine issues plagued the game.  And right now, while it's much more stable, the size of the dev team makes it not a game worth investing time into.  Plus a personal beef I have is that they shafted the PvP playerbase, as the game had 3 very populated PvP servers until they stopped fixing, supporting, and developing PvP related features.

But I'm glad others are having fun, that's what games are about.

p.s. Nice attempt at viral marketing

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Ruyn
    If you liked Vanguard, give Darkfall a shot.  An expansion is coming out any day that will add more goodness to an already good successor to Vanguard.

"Successor to Vanguard"? Are you on crack? The two games have very little in common.

Because if there's one thing fans of a PvE-centered MMORPG will want, it's FFA full loot PVP!

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by ChrisMattern

"Successor to Vanguard"? Are you on crack? The two games have very little in common.

Because if there's one thing fans of a PvE-centered MMORPG will want, it's FFA full loot PVP!

I was a fan of Vanguard not for the PvE, but the seamless massive world and the social experiences that could happen in such a seamless world. I have since left Vanguard because the PvE is all level and raid grind focused like WoW, and they've killed the big world with fast travel. 

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052
    Originally posted by ChrisMattern

While partially true, Vanguard did have exp loss and losing items until you retrieve them from your grave stone...and they did have a pvp server.  Darkfall is the logical next step.