Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay...I am just wondering...

johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

 Besides the fact that the community reeks a stench unimaginable, why all the Runescape hate? It brought a lot to the table. Open PvP, skill-based gameplay, extensive crafting, a sandbox environment, one of the first of the F2P MMOs, and such like that.

Despite a more streamiined, casual setup, it's not a kids MMO. The setting simply is about as child friendly as the original Le Morte De Arthur. Kinda looks a bit friendly on the outside, but on the inside it can be grueling.

It simply amazes me that the under 13 audience (which apparently is about 4% of the population***) can actually handle this game. It's a game where you can craft near anything you can use. This usually means it's either a grind to get the cash to buy it from a shop or a grind to get the materials to make what you need.

If I'm not mistaken, it was also the first viable modern browser-based MMORPG, the first Java MMORPG and the first 3D game that could be played through a browser.

I understand, however, that a lot of changes have been made. I tried to play again today after what I think it 3 years since the last time I played and I simply do not like the starter area. I rather liked the tutorial that covered everything by leading you around the area until you finally were thrust into the world. Now, it has a basic skills tutorial focusing on the badassery of dropping a roof on a dragon and then thrusts you into the "Starter Area" where you learn everything through "Random Objectives." Just doesn't seem to work as well.

I simply do not understand (other than the community) why it is despised by so many people. It may not be your cup of tea, but it certainly shouldn't be considered terrible. I also don't understand what Jagex means when they say that Stellar Dawn will be more "mature"...I'm not sure what makes Runescape so "immature." Guess I'll have to wait and see, no?

***Source: Interesting interview... http://mmohub.org/news/interview-runescape-past-present-and-future/296/

Comments

  • Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

    To me Runescape is what UO and EQ is to others, i started with it and till to this day believe that the game is simply the most fun i've ever had. The only game im aware of where you actually have storyline quests where you really never kill a mob, but if you want kill x mobs they have a skill called slayer for that too. Really with all the mini games, pvp, high lvl bosses, Pve, like 25 skills your never bored. I also appreciate jagex for the fact that the game literally started as a garage project and went to the most subscribed game just behind wow.

  • buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

    Well let me see this is MMORPG.com after all, lol.  Is there ever been a game on here that wasn't destroyed/knitpicked before it was released?  Honestly I doubt there can be a game that could possible please most of the posters on this site, and for some it is their hobby to destroy each and every game listed on this site.  The other problem is gamers seem thin skinned and can't let go to the fact that each game isn't designed for their particular game play.  So instead of just checking on a game that may suit there play style, they will repeatly post how the game is flawed because it isn't doing what they desire.

  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 18,981

    If 4% of the player base is under 13, then you need look no further for why some think it is immature. Players make a game as much as the designers do.

  • TenkicksTenkicks Member Posts: 11

    Besides the fact that the community reeks a stench unimaginable, why all the Runescape hate?

     

    You need another reason?

  • altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

    I always say that for me Runescape has the most interesting and many times fun quests in the whole MMO genre. That was when the game had still 2d characters, don't know now.

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

    I have never heard much Rune hate at all and i have been around quite a long time lol.

    I actually am one who commended them for the update they did on the graphics,that was a bigger step than the millionaire WOW has done .Jagex has redone the game engine a couple of times,again a ton more effort put into the game than what Blizzard has done with WOW ,witch is literally nothing since day 1.

    In saying all of this Runescape is a limited game technically and graphically ,they have done a good job with what they have and their budget ,but it is not a top notch game by any stretch,but definitely competes with many games out there.

    IMO Rune is still a haven of players looking for the free ride,but it held onto old vets using the pay model/servers with a few catchy ideas,like utilizing your own server and as stated the HD updates.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by Scot


    If 4% of the player base is under 13, then you need look no further for why some think it is immature. Players make a game as much as the designers do.

    The point was it was only 4%. How many do you think are in games like WoW? =P

    Anyhow, like all games, there is going to be a bad side of the community. Why not find a group of good people like everyone else says for every other game?

    Yeah, just seemed an interesting question...seems they moved it to the RS forums though. I had it in the Pub in hopes of getting answers from all MMORPG goers, rather than just those who play it...

     

  • Rarek0Rarek0 Member CommonPosts: 5

    Its the in-game community which makes it seem this way, alot of the in-game members are extremely immature and deter people from continuing to play the game. The only reason after 4-5 years of playing it, I continue to play it is because of the pvp/clan action. There is an unbelievable amount of off-site clans which makes the game the only worth while reason to stay and play it, any time of the day there can be fairly huge free to play and pay to play based fights consisting of anywhere from 20-30 people to 150-170 people per clan. The huge amount of pvp/clan/guild action is the only reason I continue to play this game, I’m surprised alot of other gamers havnt caught onto this.

    I mean the clan that I am currently in is making enough money from forums advertising they are giving away Ps3s and Xbox360s for recruiting.

     

    Will edit later.

  • AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by Rarek0


    Its the in-game community which makes it seem this way, alot of the in-game members are extremely immature and deter people from continuing to play the game. The only reason after 4-5 years of playing it, I continue to play it is because of the pvp/clan action. There is an unbelievable amount of off-site clans which makes the game the only worth while reason to stay and play it, any time of the day there can be fairly huge free to play and pay to play based fights consisting of anywhere from 20-30 people to 150-170 people per clan. The huge amount of pvp/clan/guild action is the only reason I continue to play this game, I’m surprised alot of other gamers havnt caught onto this.
    I mean the clan that I am currently in is making enough money from forums advertising they are giving away Ps3s and Xbox360s for recruiting.

     

    Corruption?

    ?

  • Rarek0Rarek0 Member CommonPosts: 5

    Yes

    Will edit later.

  • DevourDevour Member Posts: 902
    Originally posted by johnmatthais


     Besides the fact that the community reeks a stench unimaginable, why all the Runescape hate?

    Because Jagex basically did an NGE to Runescape.

    image

  • devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by Devour

    Originally posted by johnmatthais


     Besides the fact that the community reeks a stench unimaginable, why all the Runescape hate?

    Because Jagex basically did an NGE to Runescape.

    Yes, and that new environment included turning the game into a kiddie turnstall and running off most of the adult players.

     

    They basically ignored their player base and decided they wanted it to be a " Junior MMO" instead of improving the game and making a Real mmo.  The game had so much potential, and they decided to trash all that and take the kiddie route instead. It's a shame.... they could have done so much with it.

     

  • BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

    The question is,

    Why even play Runescape when there are better alternatives? The game has degraded to an extent that it wasn't the good old classic "stand out" game it was 5 years ago. It has degraded into a Junior MMORPG-WoW wannabee dumbed down MMORPG game. But of course, you MUST consider those who are living in 3rd world and newly industrialized country and those who are living on a tight budget. Without RS, what MMO game would THEY play?

     

    When traveling across the vast emptiness of RuneScape please be aware the number of educated and articulate players with their moronic ramblings that you are bound to experience as demonstrated by these quotes:

     

    " Yeh, so i was grinding with my homies then i finaly get 65def and im like AMg W00T!!!!111oneso i go to the Grand exchange to go buy some bandos armour and i type WTF so fast :o :o it was like wtf, wtf.It costed like 25m!!!!111 this is outrageous, pay for food pay for water pay for you're car pay for runescape pay for world of warcraft pay for sex now pay for armour?!?!?!?!?! I think jagex should give us armour for free.

    Who is with me? :P"

     

    —daniels911 in Rants



     

    "OK RIGHT SO I WAS IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU FIGHT REVS AND I NOTICED THAT REVS DONT DROP BONES BUT THEN IF YOU LOOK AT ONE FROM BEHIND, TEH OUTLINE OF BONES IS QUITE CLEARLY VISIBLE, I DEMAND YOU FIX THIS AND MAKE THEM MORE GHOST LIKE."





     

    —Ski11 0wn4g3 in Rants 

  • BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515
    Originally posted by Devour

    Originally posted by johnmatthais


     Besides the fact that the community reeks a stench unimaginable, why all the Runescape hate?

    Because Jagex basically did an NGE to Runescape.

    In other words they basically dumbed it down.

     

  • DevourDevour Member Posts: 902
    Originally posted by Blissey 
    "OK RIGHT SO I WAS IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU FIGHT REVS AND I NOTICED THAT REVS DONT DROP BONES BUT THEN IF YOU LOOK AT ONE FROM BEHIND, TEH OUTLINE OF BONES IS QUITE CLEARLY VISIBLE, I DEMAND YOU FIX THIS AND MAKE THEM MORE GHOST LIKE." 
    —Ski11 0wn4g3 in Rants 

    He does have a point.

    image

  • XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

    I have been playing MMORPGs since 2001, starting from Runescape. I have since then played: Helbreath, Ragnarok Online, Legend of Mir, Lineage, Lineage 2, World of Warcraft, Anarchy Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2, just to name a few.

     

    Just a few days ago I started playing Runescape again, of all games. Why? It is possible that I have a certain love to it since it was my first MMORPG, but it is also possible that it is because it feels the most "sandbox" of all MMORPGs I've played. I could fish/craft/do non-combat shit all day if I wanted to and feel like I've accomplished something, whereas in other MMORPGs, it is hard to say the same.

    image

  • PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

    I think people hate on Runescape for a couple of notable reasons.

     

    1. Some Runescape defenders make some pretty outlandish claims and tend to defend the indefensible (graphics, gameplay, grind, etc.). When someone posts "Runescape's graphix are pretty good, almost like [insert much better game graphically]...", people tend to go nuts when faced with such, well, idiocy.

     

    2. There are probably hundreds of thousands of players who have quit Runescape, a game they likely invested thousands of hours in, due to massive changes to the game's mechanics, economy, etc. For a huge number of people, Jagex "ruined" a game they enjoyed playing and had an (unhealthy, probably) attachment to.  Just like there are those who will never forgive Sony Online for what they did to SWG, there have been many changes made to Runescape that have alienated once-dedicated fans at one point or another.

     

    Hell hath no fury like a fan-boy scorned. There's nothing worse than a former die-hard fan who feels the time and money he invested into a game was taken away for seemingly arbitrary reasons.

  • BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515
    Originally posted by Xzaro


    I have been playing MMORPGs since 2001, starting from Runescape. I have since then played: Helbreath, Ragnarok Online, Legend of Mir, Lineage, Lineage 2, World of Warcraft, Anarchy Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2, just to name a few.
     
    Just a few days ago I started playing Runescape again, of all games. Why? It is possible that I have a certain love to it since it was my first MMORPG, but it is also possible that it is because it feels the most "sandbox" of all MMORPGs I've played. I could fish/craft/do non-combat shit all day if I wanted to and feel like I've accomplished something, whereas in other MMORPGs, it is hard to say the same.

    Lmao! Man, your post was pretty hilarious! If you're going after a "sandbox" style MMO. You say "in other MMORPGs, it is hard to say the same." Why not play Cabal Online, darkfall online, ryzom or even better...SECOND LIFE?.

     

    Question: How can Runescape be a SandBox style MMO...

    -You cannot customize ANYTHING in the game except for skill based "items" used to decorate "houses".

    -New players and experienced players alike have no access any sort of simplified CONSOLE to adjust or tweak the settings using commands.

    -Players who have been playing the game for eons are STILL not allowed to use CUSTOM text macros!

    -There is no such thing as custom weapons in-game! You cannot even customize weapons by making them enchanted or to have their custom special attack.

    -It is a well known fact that all skills are repetitive and are all based on the same thing. If you would call this a sandbox style gaming, then how come you can't even set WAYPOINTS from different grinding destinations?!

    -It is also a well known fact  that all attack speeds and hp distribution are all pre-set factors. If you claim that this is still based on a "sandbox" style gaming when you cannot even alter these factors using the skills and material available?

    "SANDBOX style gaming most often for MMOs implies a world that exists but the players are able to alter it to make it their own from economy control right down to land ownership"

    "Runescape has had limited sandbox type "functionality" to alter the world with in the limited context of the world. It's all look and feel but no real user control and customization features."

    "An open world with no real user control after a while becomes stale old and boring. You can build things and fight but where is the growth or change in that it's still the same old game."

     

     

  • DjfusionDjfusion Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Blissey

    Originally posted by Xzaro


    I have been playing MMORPGs since 2001, starting from Runescape. I have since then played: Helbreath, Ragnarok Online, Legend of Mir, Lineage, Lineage 2, World of Warcraft, Anarchy Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2, just to name a few.
     
    Just a few days ago I started playing Runescape again, of all games. Why? It is possible that I have a certain love to it since it was my first MMORPG, but it is also possible that it is because it feels the most "sandbox" of all MMORPGs I've played. I could fish/craft/do non-combat shit all day if I wanted to and feel like I've accomplished something, whereas in other MMORPGs, it is hard to say the same.

    Lmao! Man, your post was pretty hilarious! If you're going after a "sandbox" style MMO. You say "in other MMORPGs, it is hard to say the same." Why not play Cabal Online, darkfall online, ryzom or even better...SECOND LIFE?.

     

    Question: How can Runescape be a SandBox style MMO...

    -You cannot customize ANYTHING in the game except for skill based "items" used to decorate "houses".

    -New players and experienced players alike have no access any sort of simplified CONSOLE to adjust or tweak the settings using commands.

    -Players who have been playing the game for eons are STILL not allowed to use CUSTOM text macros!

    -There is no such thing as custom weapons in-game! You cannot even customize weapons by making them enchanted or to have their custom special attack.

    -It is a well known fact that all skills are repetitive and are all based on the same thing. If you would call this a sandbox style gaming, then how come you can't even set WAYPOINTS from different grinding destinations?!

    -It is also a well known fact  that all attack speeds and hp distribution are all pre-set factors. If you claim that this is still based on a "sandbox" style gaming when you cannot even alter these factors using the skills and material available?

    "SANDBOX style gaming most often for MMOs implies a world that exists but the players are able to alter it to make it their own from economy control right down to land ownership"

    "Runescape has had limited sandbox type "functionality" to alter the world with in the limited context of the world. It's all look and feel but no real user control and customization features."

    "An open world with no real user control after a while becomes stale old and boring. You can build things and fight but where is the growth or change in that it's still the same old game."

     

     



     

    Althought most of your arguments are terrible and just plain anti-Runescape crybaby talk, you are correct about Sandbox.

    But you overlook the point that some people's view on Sandbox is different. To some people it is what you quoted about 10 times too many above, but to others sanbox is just being to choose what they want to do that day and not have to grind ONE thing everytime they log in.

    The point is, this person likes the freedom of not having to ONLY fight monsters, there a plenty of other types of skills to level. Just because Jagex hurt your poor little feelings with changes doesn't mean you should sit around in these forums crying about it for years to come...

  • keslerikesleri Member Posts: 127

     I second that, this game might not appeal to the players looking for old generic PvP, that's why most of those people left. But at the same time it does appeal to quite a lot of other players who are enjoying the game as it is now .

    Ranting about it for several years won't do you any good, on the opposite you will look  a lot  more "kiddie"  like, then most of the population currently playing RuneScape which i presume you despise a whole lot more then i do .

  • bboneheaddbboneheadd Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by Blissey


    The question is,
    Why even play Runescape when there are better alternatives? The game has degraded to an extent that it wasn't the good old classic "stand out" game it was 5 years ago. It has degraded into a Junior MMORPG-WoW wannabee dumbed down MMORPG game. But of course, you MUST consider those who are living in 3rd world and newly industrialized country and those who are living on a tight budget. Without RS, what MMO game would THEY play?
     
    When traveling across the vast emptiness of RuneScape please be aware the number of educated and articulate players with their moronic ramblings that you are bound to experience as demonstrated by these quotes:

     
    " Yeh, so i was grinding with my homies then i finaly get 65def and im like AMg W00T!!!!111oneso i go to the Grand exchange to go buy some bandos armour and i type WTF so fast :o :o it was like wtf, wtf.It costed like 25m!!!!111 this is outrageous, pay for food pay for water pay for you're car pay for runescape pay for world of warcraft pay for sex now pay for armour?!?!?!?!?! I think jagex should give us armour for free.
    Who is with me? :P"

     
    —daniels911 in Rants



     

    "OK RIGHT SO I WAS IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU FIGHT REVS AND I NOTICED THAT REVS DONT DROP BONES BUT THEN IF YOU LOOK AT ONE FROM BEHIND, TEH OUTLINE OF BONES IS QUITE CLEARLY VISIBLE, I DEMAND YOU FIX THIS AND MAKE THEM MORE GHOST LIKE."




     
    —Ski11 0wn4g3 in Rants 

    What better alternatives are you talking about? and how is runescape anything like wow?. Runescape community  is no where near as bad as people say sure starter f2p worlds are filled with immature kids but once you leave that area or better yet become member you will see that there's enough mature players around .

Sign In or Register to comment.