Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Dragon Age was an MMO... my God!

Comments

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Kordesh
    This "idea' keeps coming up, and the answer still remains that it would be a horrible idea. Yeah, you might get an MMO in the same setting as Dragon Age, but that is in no way indicative of how it's going to play. A Dragon Age MMO would never be anything close to the quality of gameplay/story that is in Dragon Age merely by virtue of the sacrifices that would have to be made to make it an MMO.

This. They could use many of the same systems, and it would be great, but, if nothing else, you could not use that engine in an MMO environment. It would be hell on everyone. And yes, the story would have to be different in order to accommodate the MMO type setting. I would rather see a game with the Elder Scrolls mechanics hit the market. Still, you could not have the same level of engine, but the mechanics are perfect. That, and the fact that TES and Fallen Earth are the only RPGs I have enjoyed playing in first person view, and I think FE was just because I ended up using a rifle.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Kordesh

This "idea' keeps coming up, and the answer still remains that it would be a horrible idea. Yeah, you might get an MMO in the same setting as Dragon Age, but that is in no way indicative of how it's going to play. A Dragon Age MMO would never be anything close to the quality of gameplay/story that is in Dragon Age merely by virtue of the sacrifices that would have to be made to make it an MMO.

Well, I think when people discuss the idea of a DA MMO, it's assumed that it would be a *well done* DA MMO. Same with the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO. Could they get the same depth as an MMO? No of course not... it would take forever for the game to come out, much less updates. But.... could they get the same level of quality in all other areas? I don't see why not. And from what I've seen of DA so far in playing it (freaking brilliant game, IMO), a MMO in that universe could certainly be something cool.

TOR might well prove me wrong, but it seems to me that Bioware is one of the few developers out there who would do it justice and aren't afraid of making a game more involved and challenging than your typical hack-n-slash grindfest. They also seem to have more respect for their ideal playerbase's ability to think and not shy away from anything that makes them think about something more than if they should press #1 or #2 on their keyboard.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Basically want I want is an MMO with the quality of DA single player. Why is this impossible in the MMO genre? What the hell, seriously, causes MMOs to be so sub-par when compared to offline games that are very similar to the MMO makeup?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by GPrestige

So I've been playing Dragon Age for a little while now. The game is absolutely amazing. I can't even describe how awesome it is. It is perfect as a single player game, too... but if they (one day) made an MMO exactly like this, it would be unstoppable.
    For any of you who love MMOs, and haven't played this yet, try it out and I'm sure you'd agree. It has every aspect of the perfect MMO. It'd take too long for me to describe anything, but I'd like to hear from others who have tried it. What do you think? Do you think if they made an MMO like this (obviously they'd have to tweak it a little), but I mean even if the quest system was like it is in Dragon Age, it'd be awesome.

Anyone else agree?

Dragon Age has one ability that no MMO can ever match.

The ability to make your individual character the focal point of the entire story without putting other player's characters in a lesser role.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Thew mmo genre would eat it up if Bioware did a Dragon Age mmo. It probably would be the most epic adventure you would experience in a mmo ever. People complain that mmos are not immersive enough and lack focus in story. Dragon Age would do that and then some. 

• vanquish_allvanquish_all Member Posts: 9

Not to speculate too much but, I wonder if dragon age will give people some insight on how involving TOR might be? Who knows.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Who knows, but looking at BioWare's history, I definitely will be getting The Old Republic

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Dragon Age Origin is nothing as great as it's predecessor BG1 or BG2 let alone even PS:T. Like KOTOR has the linear aspects. Go here do this but pick which area you want to go to first. Game took out the better aspects. Multiple upon hundreds of gods that squabbled and fought like man. Hundreds of love triangles and a far sub-par story line. Say graphics as well as the environments play a role. But what I find ironic is idiots who seem to think a game such as this would be a good MMO. Only thing this game has above an MMO is a ok story line. Outside of that slap the story line on WoW with voice actors, omg it's best MMO eva!!!1

Then again seems idiots need people to read them the story line because people are to damn lazy to even read.

PS:T

When a mind does not know itself, it is flawed. When a mind is flawed, the man is flawed. When a man is flawed, that which he touches is flawed. It is said that what a flawed man sees, his hands make broken.

~Dak'kon

Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts.

~Joneleth Irenicus

Then again this game takes no place in D&D time line or era let alone in the same place and zone. Like KOTOR just a rehash of something already done. Nothing ground breaking. Just a new generation playing knock off games that were done ages ago and upon a different level of depth that no where do they even tap into what it's predecessors have already done. Tis' a shame.

If 3d graphics are the only reason people rate games then I am disgusted with the player base of today. Greatest games of all time you actually oh how you say....read and comprehended what was being told through the story. Wasn't told by some over paid voice actor. Black Isle Studios made the greatest RPGs of today. Fallout 1, Fallout 2. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Planescape: Torment. Why Interplay would shut down one of the greatest RPG video game makers of all time is beyond me. People need to get off the hype train.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Nightbringe1

The ability to make your individual character the focal point of the entire story without putting other player's characters in a lesser role.

Instancing overcomes this disadvantage.

Unfortunately heavy instancing gets a whole crowd of people complaining about how it's not an MMO (despite it still being massive, multiplayer, and online.)  Which is a shame, because Guild Wars was a freaking awesome direction the MMORPG genre could've gone.  I still think it has some of the best PVE, simply because you were doing meaningful story-driven things the majority of the time.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• eolseeolse Member UncommonPosts: 80

no i like the game style it is i don't see how in anyway it could work as a MMO,  even just multiplayer would be hard to add in these story drivin games, A player is on one part of the story and B player on another = wont be able to play with each other.

I dont realy want to see this an mmo its a  unique game style and that is the reason it's so good ,  there already to many MMO's out there of this type  lord of the rings is a story base mmo and it's problem is what i said abouve players being on diffrent part of the story and not able to solo them. Baulder's gate, Never winter nights , and now this game should just be left alone there epic already i think an MMO of them would bring them crashing down and this is just my opnion..  Well see how well the star wars game works before they even think this i hope. Hands down tho RPG of the year better than any mmo out there

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by Nightbringe1

Instancing overcomes this disadvantage.

Unfortunately heavy instancing gets a whole crowd of people complaining about how it's not an MMO (despite it still being massive, multiplayer, and online.)  Which is a shame, because Guild Wars was a freaking awesome direction the MMORPG genre could've gone.  I still think it has some of the best PVE, simply because you were doing meaningful story-driven things the majority of the time.

That is the only way this type of game could be an MMO. It would have to have quest hubs with complete instanced game play. The story would be the same for everyone. The starting class story would be different, but the rest would be the same.

It would be fun to have other players instead of NPC's to quest with in DA. That would be more of a multi-player than an MMO though.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

it may not be and mmo and even though i would love for them to make an mmo outta it we can all be thankful that bioware has graced us with what is possible the greatest single player rpg to come out ever.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

it may not be and mmo and even though i would love for them to make an mmo outta it we can all be thankful that bioware has graced us with what is possible the greatest single player rpg to come out ever.

Yeah the game is freaking awesome.

I have two games going one on my PC and the other on 360.

Only problem i have is with the 360 version being to easy, buyers beware play the console version on any setting above normal.

To the OP I don;t like Single player IPs becoming MMOs. I was against FF and I'm really pissed that Kotor has gone the way of the MMO.

Just imagine Kotor 3, Man I hope Bioware continues the single player Rpg. Would be a waste to just make it a plain for the masses mmo.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I'm really surprised to see so many people hailing this as the greatest RPG ever.

Really? What exactly makes it so much better than BG, NWN, any of the gold box series games, Bard's Tale 1, 2 or 3, FF1, 2 or 3, Fallout 1 and 2, Morrowind, KOTOR? Sorry, but this is game is a hand held, linear RPG. I thought people are these forums were against this type of strict gameplay?

Dragon Age is a fun game, but by no means is it the greatest RPG ever.

Don't misunderstand me. The lore is fantastic, and would make a great world to play in. I just hate games that tell you what to do every step of the way, and refuse to let you veer off course..

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Basically want I want is an MMO with the quality of DA single player. Why is this impossible in the MMO genre? What the hell, seriously, causes MMOs to be so sub-par when compared to offline games that are very similar to the MMO makeup?

My opinion is that too many people over rate single player games.They are meant to be finished ,MMO are not.MMo's are meant to be an open world where you can roam and do whatever you want,Single player games are extremely linear.

Single player games are usually tight graphically meaning not much going on outside of you and the enemy,with some very low poly backgrounds.So they can afford to make the mobs and the player,effects,weapons look real good,because here will not be 10 players in the same area,only you.

Single player games tend to have approx 40 hour game play,MMORPG's of course surpass that miles.A single player game will have less mechanics like group play mechanics Auction house,Instances for Raiding,you will have limited gear,meaning less work into making the weapons and armor,and of course you will literally have only choice for gear.You would of course have no guild mechanics,no housing,heck in a single player game,you pretty much have nothing,but linear areas that are designed to make you kill a boss to move onto the next level.

OH and there is usually no need for crafting in a single player game either,i guess it pretty much sums up a single player game as nothing more than hack n slash and move onto the next level,next boss.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I would love a Dragon Age MMO, I'm completely in love with the game, but I kind of want a Mass Effect MMO first. I think that an ME MMO would be more epic. I mean it's in space and who doesn't want to play as a bad ass krogan?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by heartless

I would love a Dragon Age MMO, I'm completely in love with the game, but I kind of want a Mass Effect MMO first. I think that an ME MMO would be more epic. I mean it's in space and who doesn't want to play as a bad ass krogan?

I am with you on that opinion.

You think the Dragon Age engine could handle and mmo variant?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by heartless

I am with you on that opinion.

You think the Dragon Age engine could handle and mmo variant?

I'm not sure to be honest with you. Graphic wise it's not as demanding as other games so in that sense it may work. As far as everything else, I don't know.

I have a feeling that the closest thing we'll get to an Dragon Age or a Mass Effect MMO will be SWTOR, which I think will be really epic.

• JixxJixx Member Posts: 159

You are wrong.  Bandwidth is what limits the number of avatars on screen at one time.  

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Open world gameplay.

Going from single- to multiplayer gaming hurts the experience a little -- you can no longer be the hero.  Now you're merely a hero.  Additionally, Dragon Age's combat is realtime but it's expected you'll pause a lot, which would be pretty terrible in multiplayer unless the MMO version was just about 1 character, or had a vastly streamlined interface for controlling 4 at once.

Going from multiplayer gaming to open world gaming devastates the gameplay.  Now nobody feels like the hero; everyone who does the quest to get the orcs out of the old mine went in and killed tons of orcs, but they just kept eternally respawning even after the quest turn-in.

Going from open world to instanced/phased directly addresses this disadvantage.  Now when you clear out those orcs, they're permanently gone -- either because the orc cave was an instance tied specifically to your actions or because you switched phases after completing the task.  Either way, being a hero is once again possible.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

People would then say its 'too linear'.

There would have to be plenty of forced objectives to fullfill a story as thick as this, and I'm assuming SWTOR won't be as far off the mark. This doesn't bother me personally one bit, as long as the quality remains high and the writing engaging. But lots of people would complain, regardless.

I do agree that the game is fantastic.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Jixx

You are wrong.  Bandwidth is what limits the number of avatars on screen at one time.  

Yes Zorn is wrong. Also server technology is what limits the number.

Case and point: Massive battle in the Eve's test server maybe 100+ participants. My PC runs at max settings 60 frames per second and my mouse runs smoothly through the screen but the game is jutting like hell. This is lag.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• EttirxaEttirxa Member Posts: 93

Im really enjoying the game but I dont think it would work as an MMO. In order to have individual decissions that you can make in Dragon Age work in an mmo they would need to use phasing and Instancing heavily, thus destroying the immersion in the process. It's also an interesting glimpse as to the story driven approach Bioware are taking with the old republic, any translation of the Dragon Age model in it's current form to an MMO sounds like major fail to me.

What could work however is just having an adventure with your five other party members and enjoying the story together that way. Im thinking like Borderlands, Left4Dead etc etc etc.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by Ettirxa

Im really enjoying the game but I dont think it would work as an MMO. In order to have individual decissions that you can make in Dragon Age work in an mmo they would need to use phasing and Instancing heavily, thus destroying the immersion in the process. It's also an interesting glimpse as to the story driven approach Bioware are taking with the old republic, any translation of the Dragon Age model in it's current form to an MMO sounds like major fail to me.
    What could work however is just having an adventure with your five other party members and enjoying the story together that way. Im thinking like Borderlands, Left4Dead etc etc etc.

Would it though? What's more immersion breaking?

Having a phased/instance approach that leads to your actions having lasting consequences.

Having an "open world" where your actions are 100% erased at the next respawn.

I quite like the idea of a phased approach where I'll be wandering around at max level and end up revisiting a prospering village that I saved from a rampaging monster attack years previously when I was just starting out in the game as a freshly baked nubcake.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

Originally posted by Ettirxa

Would it though? What's more immersion breaking?

Having a phased/instance approach that leads to your actions having lasting consequences.

Having an "open world" where your actions are 100% erased at the next respawn.

I quite like the idea of a phased approach where I'll be wandering around at max level and end up revisiting a prospering village that I saved from a rampaging monster attack years previously when I was just starting out in the game as a freshly baked nubcake.

There really isn't anything much more immersion breaking than you and I see different versions of the world.

For a massive multiplayer I'd rather have the open world with respawns, than instances and phasing. Phasing turns a massive multiplayer into a single player experience, kind of defeating the reason I like to play multiplayer games.

I LOVE the idea that the game world changes, but only if it really changes, not just for me, but for every player in the game. Yes, this means you can't put in the exact same kinds of quests you do for a single player game, but I don't want a single player online game.

Fallout 3 was great! I don't want to do the quest to blow up the city with a nuclear bomb though, and it's only blown up for me, not for you, or it's blown up for you, not for me. Where's the persistence in that?