Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On the last day...

On the last day before the months of court cases interpreted what the voters wanted, let's a take a moment and engage our melons.

I don't think it's debatable that people are more polarized this year than any election year in recent memory. I listed to radio call in shows at lunch, with a woman literally in tears with the thought that Bush might be re-elected. I've heard a man complain he hasn't slept well for a month due to stress because he didn't feel Kerry did as well as he should have in the debates.

Truthfully, life is not going to change much who wins. The difference on our lives will be very slim. The sun will still come up, we'll still have to go to our jobs or school, we'll still pay our taxes, we'll still argue over it, your car will start, your PC will boot, mmorpg.com will still load, and Guild Wars will still be the most advanced concept for a MMORPG. (Your city and state election will impact you life much more, yet very few know who their representatives or senators are. Do you know who your mayor is? What about your local issues?)

This bizarre melodramatic behavior is not healthy for anyone, or American politics on the whole.

What is it that drives people to level of extremism? I'm sure people didn't lose sleep over Dole/Clinton '96.

How did it get so bad?

I believe this was due to the slim margin by witch Bush won. (yes, he really did win FL the 10 million private recounts all came to the same conclusion, but it was darn close)

Even in sporting events close wins are always the most upsetting. People like clear winners.

Immediately after the vote, slogans began about how Bush stole the election. Everything bad is Bushes fault, since he lied, stole and cheated his way into the white house. It's only gone from bad to worse as the years have gone by. I'm not saying Republicans are any better, had Gore won they would be every bit as melodramatic.

I find it interesting how many Democrats in congress now complement Reagan. They might not have agreed with him, but he won by 87%. There was no doubt he was the candidate most people wanted. He was also the last President to win with a majority of the popular vote. Republicans used to claim "how can Clinton be president with only 43% of the popular vote". You don't hear much of that anymore... at least not out of them.

I would like to go back to the days of knowing the winner on Nov 3rd. The days when you just accept who won if you wanted them to or not.

The days before courts rulings, lawyer monitored voting booths, and Alec baldwin, Sara Jessica Parker, and Joe Pesci calling me on the phone to remind me to vote.... every hour.

I miss the days before MTV turned into the political rap network. (Having someone "turn down the rhymes" so I can understand them better is like Dr. Seuss turning down the rhyme so I can follow the plot. )

I miss the days when the only intimidated voters where due to the shockingly poor selection of candidates, the dead didn't vote,  the dumb stayed at home on election day, and words like "hanging chad" was a polite way to describe impotence.

If anything, my hope for tomorrow is who ever wins, does so by a large margin.

-=-=-=-=-
Evolution of MMORPG's: EQ -> DAoC -> WoW/EQ2 -> Guild Wars

Down time and camping are ideas that will be forgotten all to soon. If your not playing Guild Wars your playing with something dead.

What did you mother say about playing with dead things?

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.