Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No diablo 3 forum?

Comments

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Vexe

Diablo 3 is not an MMO.
    It's an RPG and you can play multiplayer but there is always that pesky MM in the MMORPG. It stands for MASSIVELY Multiplayer. WHich means that there needs to be a lot of people playing at once. I think a good number for this would be somewhere over 20 or so. In Diablo 3 you can maybe have...I dunno...4? tops? It's not a massively multiplayer online role playing game. It shouldn't get a forum. GO talk about it in general gaming.

20 people playing together to you is an mmo?

So every Xbox game with multiplayer supporting 30+ players counts as an mmo?

LOL

MASSIVELY multiplayer means at least HUNDREDS, and more preferably thousands.

image]image

• devouxdevoux Member Posts: 86

Lol, you didnt even read what he said.

Now you look stupid ah, ha, ha, ha....

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863
    Originally posted by Zorvan01

Diablo 3 is not an MMO.
    It's an RPG and you can play multiplayer but there is always that pesky MM in the MMORPG. It stands for MASSIVELY Multiplayer. WHich means that there needs to be a lot of people playing at once. I think a good number for this would be somewhere over 20 or so. In Diablo 3 you can maybe have...I dunno...4? tops? It's not a massively multiplayer online role playing game. It shouldn't get a forum. GO talk about it in general gaming.

LOL

Wb Zorvan. I see why you haven't been around in a while :P

O_o o_O

• AstronomicaAstronomica Member Posts: 7

Theirs already plenty of titles on the game list that definitely ARE NOT MMORPG's in any sense of the word.

Originally posted by razorlines

Theirs already plenty of titles on the game list that definitely ARE NOT MMORPG's in any sense of the word.

Very true.

image]image

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

Diablo 3 is not an MMO.

LOL

In an instance at the same time. Should've clarified that.

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

Hellgate: London is still on the list at this site.

Guess that closes the case for me game related type wise.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

Originally posted by Narug

Why?

Why?

In other words, the people running the site don't care that many of the games they advertise and have listed with forums are not mmos ( and in some cases barely qualified as rpgs ), so why should we?

I'm personally waiting for the day they have Call of Duty and Counterstrike listed as mmos.

image]image

• warmakuwarmaku Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Nahh no D3 forums here because the game is looking too much like Torchlight so Blizzard needs another 10 more years to redo the art work. ;)

um D3 been in the making since 2004, if anything torchlight is just makin a diablo clone with subscription

Why?

In other words, the people running the site don't care that many of the games they advertise and have listed with forums are not mmos ( and in some cases barely qualified as rpgs ), so why should we?

I'm personally waiting for the day they have Call of Duty and Counterstrike listed as mmos.

No, I mean why is hellgate london not an MMO? Because there's a single-player option?

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by razorlines

Yup, but the staff here has done that to trap the stupid people.  It's a cheap form of entertainment.

Why?

No, I mean why is hellgate london not an MMO? Because there's a single-player option?

For the same reason Diablo is not. It was nothing but a piss-poor action rpg with multiplayer. Bill Roper just tacked on the term "mmo" to try to justify charging people to play the multiplayer portion.

image]image

Why?

For the same reason Diablo is not. It was nothing but a piss-poor action rpg with multiplayer. Bill Roper just tacked on the term "mmo" to try to justify charging people to play the multiplayer portion.

Well I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for the multiplayer part of the game, I do think hellgate london is not a sure-fire example of "not an MMO". You can play with hundreds of people online, just all the zones except for hte towns are instanced. Like Guild wars kind of. The last time I played guild wars, anyway. Just not as many people.

In the previous diablo games you could only play with I think a max of 3 other people. Maybe even less than that. Unless they are adding a huge multi-player option that is much bigger than their previous game's, it is much less qualified than hellgate.

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

[snip]

Well I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for the multiplayer part of the game, I do think hellgate london is not a sure-fire example of "not an MMO". You can play with hundreds of people online, just all the zones except for hte towns are instanced. Like Guild wars kind of. The last time I played guild wars, anyway. Just not as many people.

In the previous diablo games you could only play with I think a max of 3 other people. Maybe even less than that. Unless they are adding a huge multi-player option that is much bigger than their previous game's, it is much less qualified than hellgate.

Eh.. "Up to eight players can be in one game; they can either unite as a single party, play as individuals, or form multiple opposing parties." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_2#Multiplayer

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by knapu

Epic fail and /facepalm 4 u all
    Diablo is and was rpg and its not said if its gonna be mmo or not it has some mmo elements so its more obvious you should inform youreself before u say something lol

Please, is a talent tree enough to call a game RPG? Is tropico RPG because you actually choose your talents. Is The Sims an RPG because you choose your skills? It is a mindless hack n slash with a multiplayer mode.

Well yes, RPG=role playing game, you are playing in the roll of that character having some control of their development.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by F3rrets

Umm i'm very curious to why there is no diablo 3 forum i mean you have alot of mmos haveing there owne little forum i i know diablo 3 isnt excatly a pure mmo it is a actionrpg type mmo but still can i get more info on this please =]

For cryin out loud did anyone in this post even read this part of the OP. It's fairly obvious that he understood Diablo wasn't really a "mmo". Why must you all crucify him for an understandable lack of precision in his language.

Or perhaps you are right and it is this type of careless use of the word 'mmo' which has put such a stain upon the genre...we must attack....geez.

Right in that part you highlighted "it is a actionrpg type mmo".

Now, think about what you said and come back later.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• LorkLork Member Posts: 338

Diablo is not MMO, and Diablo is not RPG. Diablo is hack'n slash. This site is called www.mmorpg.com and not a www.hack'nslash/withamultiplayermode.com

Diablo is not a MMO;it's true. Diablo is a RPG.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game    or       en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game

Do you spout random nonsense like a lunatic to draw attention? Almost all video games are RPGs.

Stay in or go back to school.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Diablo is and was rpg and its not said if its gonna be mmo or not it has some mmo elements so its more obvious you should inform youreself before u say something lol

Please, is a talent tree enough to call a game RPG? Is tropico RPG because you actually choose your talents. Is The Sims an RPG because you choose your skills? It is a mindless hack n slash with a multiplayer mode.

RPG  = Role Playing Game.  It simply means that you're playing the role of a character in the game, not that you say "aye" instead of yes or pretend to be a dwarf.  Legend of Zelda is a RPG - you play the part of Link.  You become the hero.  As such, regardless of the combat mechanics, D3 is a RPG game.  If you argue against D3 being RPG, you might as well argue against WoW being an RPG.  Semantically, they're the same.  You play a character that interacts with the world, fights monsters, chats, etc...  What percent of the total WoW population are "true RPers"?  Probably a very small percent.

~Ripper

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

The Diablo franchise is not and never will be an MMO. Diablo 3 is certainly NOT an MMO. I hate it when ignorance clouds the minds of so many...

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by rhinok

RPG  = Role Playing Game.  It simply means that you're playing the role of a character in the game, not that you say "aye" instead of yes or pretend to be a dwarf.  Legend of Zelda is a RPG - you play the part of Link.  You become the hero.  As such, regardless of the combat mechanics, D3 is a RPG game.  If you argue against D3 being RPG, you might as well argue against WoW being an RPG.  Semantically, they're the same.  You play a character that interacts with the world, fights monsters, chats, etc...  What percent of the total WoW population are "true RPers"?  Probably a very small percent.

~Ripper

By your logic every game is and always has been an RPG.

CoD, playing the role of a soldier. Madden, role of a football player. Etc.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by skeaser

~Ripper

At the highest level, that's true, although "RPG", to many people, is generally reserved for games that involve some sort of adventuring/questing, rather than platform games, sports games, FPS games, etc...

~Ripper

Originally posted by skeaser

~Ripper

Uh. . . . .. yeah?

• krisknifekrisknife Member Posts: 7

My favorite post so far in this thread is dude saying any game you assume a role is a role playing game....lulz. That makes every game I can think of a RPG xD, and in same logic every game is action as well, heck stuff moves that is action right????? LOL we all know as Gamers what respective genres Games fall into, and no Diablo is not a RPG or even a action RPG, One of the key features to having been given the "RPG" title is text interactions, there are of course hundreds more but that one little thing sets RPGs apart from other games. Did any diablo have any text based options that changed the game , or altered even one quest??? Nope So diablo can't even half arse claim title, it's the fanboys that have dubbed the game an RPG simply because it has a fantasy setting.

Diablo is a top down Action scroller  set in fantasy , if it  is going to be put into any  genre, because quite simply that's what thelast two were and probably the next, just more advanced graphics . And for the record I like and own all the diablo's but seriously never have I thought of them as RPGs

Also to note, it  doesn't really matter what the game maker says when it comes to genre, it matters what the players say. Allot of game makers claim to have RPGs when in fact they do not. Allot of MMOs fall into this category. WoW does have allot of RPG aspects but in truth we all know it is not really a RPG at heart, still enough RPG exist in WoW for most not too argue. Most mmos are not even close to RPGs though yet people playing them are utterly convinced they are, these people of course have never played a real rpg or at least most I hope lol. Otherwise they would notice the worlds of difference . This topic has always got my goat lol , I am a avid RPG fan and so many have twisted aspects what a RPG is, Yes a Role playing game could be anything but to fit into the GENRE RPG it has to meet certain qualifications, hence why football games and shooters are not RPGs even though you assume a role

Originally posted by krisknife

My favorite post so far in this thread is dude saying any game you assume a role is a role playing game....lulz. That makes every game I can think of a RPG xD, and in same logic every game is action as well, heck stuff moves that is action right????? LOL we all know as Gamers what respective genres Games fall into, and no Diablo is not a RPG or even a action RPG, One of the key features to having been given the "RPG" title is text interactions, there are of course hundreds more but that one little thing sets RPGs apart from other games. Did any diablo have any text based options that changed the game , or altered even one quest??? Nope So diablo can't even half arse claim title, it's the fanboys that have dubbed the game an RPG simply because it has a fantasy setting.

Diablo is a top down Action scroller  set in fantasy , if it  is going to be put into any  genre, because quite simply that's what thelast two were and probably the next, just more advanced graphics . And for the record I like and own all the diablo's but seriously never have I thought of them as RPGs

I don't know where to start. You are wrong.