Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play Online is

DarkcowDarkcow Member Posts: 26

The most unnecessarily complex and stupid account system I have ever had the misfortune of being forced to use.

I now have an FFXI key with all expansions, and this PlayOnline crap has turned me off from this game completely. Why would the implement such a stupid and complex system for this? Someone please, please tell me.

Sigh.

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

To prevent bots.

• DarkcowDarkcow Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

To prevent bots.

Well they also just prevented my subscription.

Attempting to use their account system was as smooth and easy as scraping a cheese grater covered in sandpaper and dipped in corrosive acid across my face.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Well if you can't waste 5min to register and then play then yes.

• DreysonDreyson Member UncommonPosts: 58

You have to remember, when FFXI first came out in was on the Playstation 2 and like 2002. Email and the internet wasn't as readily available then as it is today.

Sure it could be done away with now, but it's probably too embedded in the framework. Thankfully I do believe I remember seeing an article stating they'd do away with it for FFXIV.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

Realize that there are more games than just FFXI that use PlayOnline; most are in Japan so people outside of that country do not know about them. What PlayOnline is supposed to do it provide a single log in for multiple game where you can idealy switch between game the different games and be able to communicate with friends all at once.

Originally with the POL system you could log into FFXI put your flag up and then temporarily "log out" of FFXI and go play TetraMaster (or another game), go to a chat room, or check you POL email. All the while you would still be LFP in FFXI. However this didn't quite work the way it was supposed to since you couldn't directly talk to another player that wasn't on your friends list already and was trying to send you a /tell about a party. They had to "knock" you which was just an indicator that someone in game wanted to say something. It was not very convienent and with only two games to play no very practical. Because of that no one use the feature and I believe they eliminated it at the time they instituted the /shutdown feature which shuts down all games and POL with one command.

Ideally how they process should have worked would be if for instance you have WoW and FFXI both use the POL system and you could be playing WoW and have your buddies from FFXI send you a message to come in and play there and have it so you could quickly jump from one to another (or just talk reguardless). I thought this was going to actually happen at one point since there was a meeting a buncha years ago where SE Blizzard and SoE all got together to talk state of mmo. Just think of that treaty for a second.

Also remember that FFXI is not just PC ... its on the 360 and PS2. Without POL I those systems would not be able to use FFXI and I'd venture to guess that without it the three systems couldn't play on the same servers, just a guess.

Overall POL isn't a bad thing. You use it as an account portal to put in your financial information on top of registering expansions. Could you do this in a browser? Yes but then how do you have the game on the PS2 which has no browser. It gets updated once in a while with anti-cheating measures but with all the high speed connections now a days what does that equate to 5 minute every few months? Or would it be better to have the game down for 6,7,8 hours on a Tuesday where you can't play at all? So what does it come down to? A click to log into POL (which you can save your PW and save time), a click to go to games, a click to go to FFXI ... So all in all it adds three clicks to the process of logging into this one game ... I mean if three clicks and a different interface turns you off of a game: Goodbye ... this game and this community wouldn't want you anyway.

Originally posted by ic0n67                                                                                                                                                                              I mean if three clicks and a different interface turns you off of a game: Goodbye ... this game and this community wouldn't want you anyway.

It's not "three clicks and a different interface". It's a completely and utterly counter-intuitive and confusing jumble of buttons and random icons that have absolutely no linear or clearly thought out path. It's not three clicks to login, it's 45 minutes of searching through confusing menus and walls of text to try to figure out what does what, so I can even just enter my cd-key to start playing.

It's just a terribly thought out and confusing system, and as I said before, unnecessarily complex. I've played nearly every single mainstream MMO and many, many non-mainstream. I've been playing MMOs since 1999, games from Korea, Europe, America, China, et cetera. Throughout all of these games (probably totaling up to around 50+), I've never encountered an account creation system so complex and with such a latent disregard for continuity, or streamlining.

I'm sure once you have everything set up, it's quite easy to get in game. However, the 30+ minutes I've spent just trying to find where to input my cd-key has seriously made me question whether or not I want to play. It's just irritating.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466
    Originally posted by Darkcow

Originally posted by ic0n67                                                                                                                                                                              I mean if three clicks and a different interface turns you off of a game: Goodbye ... this game and this community wouldn't want you anyway.

It's not "three clicks and a different interface". It's a completely and utterly counter-intuitive and confusing jumble of buttons and random icons that have absolutely no linear or clearly thought out path. It's not three clicks to login, it's 45 minutes of searching through confusing menus and walls of text to try to figure out what does what, so I can even just enter my cd-key to start playing.

It's just a terribly thought out and confusing system, and as I said before, unnecessarily complex. I've played nearly every single mainstream MMO and many, many non-mainstream. I've been playing MMOs since 1999, games from Korea, Europe, America, China, et cetera. Throughout all of these games (probably totaling up to around 50+), I've never encountered an account creation system so complex and with such a latent disregard for continuity, or streamlining.

I'm sure once you have everything set up, it's quite easy to get in game. However, the 30+ minutes I've spent just trying to find where to input my cd-key has seriously made me question whether or not I want to play. It's just irritating.

This is the utter definition of laziness and "I want it now" attitude.  Play Online, while a tad frustrating, offers more security than most MMO's offer.  If you weren't able to take 30 minutes (exaggeration) to setup a ONE TIME account registration, then honestly, you wouldn't have the patience to play FFXI in the first place.

I just purchased a collector's edition and I only had to enter the CD key once for Play Online; FFXI streamlined all the expansion registrations into one click.  Your loss, really.

Originally posted by Angorim

This is the utter definition of laziness and "I want it now" attitude. Play Online, while a tad frustrating, offers more security than most MMO's offer. If you weren't able to take 30 minutes (exaggeration) to setup a ONE TIME account registration, then honestly, you wouldn't have the patience to play FFXI in the first place.

I just purchased a collector's edition and I only had to enter the CD key once for Play Online; FFXI streamlined all the expansion registrations into one click. Your loss, really.

Oh, please accept my sincerest apologies. I didn't realize the utter definition of laziness and "I want it now" was wanting a non-confusing and easy-to-use account system. Apparently the fact that I dislike the unnecessarily complex and sluggish interface and setup makes me lazy. Then by all means, please excuse my indolency.

If someone wants to hit the level cap of a game in a week? Yeah, that's an "I want it now" attitude.

If a person wants to get the best gear in the game without putting in a lot of effort? Yeah, that's an "I want it now" attitude.

If a person wants to immediately log in and compete with the best of the best? Yeah, that's an "I want it now" attitude.

If a person wants to create an account without trudging through cumbersome and counter-intuitive menus? That's just fucking common sense.

You act like you're some posh elite badass motherfucker because you decided that you'd stick it to the man, and beat their fucking puzzle mini-game of a god damn account creation system. Oh man, bravo dude, bravo. If only I had the fervor you did to stick to it, and win that puzzle game that is creating an account! Yeah!

So please, spare me the elitist parvenuity. PlayOnline is so far beyond a 'tad' frustrating, it's ridiculous. I just find it incomprehensible that a company as big as Square Enix could back such a detestable program for their account system.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

This is the utter definition of laziness and "I want it now" attitude. Play Online, while a tad frustrating, offers more security than most MMO's offer. If you weren't able to take 30 minutes (exaggeration) to setup a ONE TIME account registration, then honestly, you wouldn't have the patience to play FFXI in the first place.
    I just purchased a collector's edition and I only had to enter the CD key once for Play Online; FFXI streamlined all the expansion registrations into one click. Your loss, really.

Oh, please accept my sincerest apologies. I didn't realize the utter definition of laziness and "I want it now" was wanting a non-confusing and easy-to-use account system. Apparently the fact that I dislike the unnecessarily complex and sluggish interface and setup makes me lazy. Then by all means, please excuse my indolency.

(Honestly, if you knew my gaming history, you wouldn't see me as the lazy "I want it now" type. I am the epitome of patience.)

PlayOnline is so far beyond a 'tad' frustrating, it's ridiculous. I just find it incomprehensible that a company as big as Square Enix could back such a detestable program for their account system.

Seriously i think you over-reacted here.. Ok POL is not the ideal log in for a game in 2009, but this is not so hard. I mean come on just take 5 min to read the manual and you will see it is quite easy to enter a cd-key. I dont like POL but i will not be turn off for it. And seriously you say you are the epitome of patience, but clearly you are not. If you was you will be already in the game now... and not here bashing a log-in system.

And if POL give you a hard time this game is clearly not for you.

Originally posted by Silok

(Honestly, if you knew my gaming history, you wouldn't see me as the lazy "I want it now" type. I am the epitome of patience.)

PlayOnline is so far beyond a 'tad' frustrating, it's ridiculous. I just find it incomprehensible that a company as big as Square Enix could back such a detestable program for their account system.

Seriously i think you over-reacted here.. Ok POL is not the ideal log in for a game in 2009, but this is not so hard. I mean come on just take 5 min to read the manual and you will see it is quite easy to enter a cd-key. I dont like POL but i will not be turn off for it. And seriously you say you are the epitome of patience, but clearly you are not. If you was you will be already in the game now... and not here bashing a log-in system.

This is the exact point I was trying to make.  Where, if at all, did I come across as "elitist" for saying your attention span can't handle a multi-step process for registering an account?  Did you even do any research on this game what-so-ever, because, like I said, if you can't even stand to go through the setup process how on Earth did you expect to enjoy this game?

Either you are exaggerating how long it was taking or you can't follow instructions; either way, you had no idea what you were in store for in game.

I logged in and uninstalled hours ago, actually. But thanks.

Also nice grammar.

Also nice grammar.

Lol typical now you bash me for my grammar lol, try to speak french and will bash you for your grammar....

And you just prove the point here patience is clearly not a virtue of yours...

Also nice grammar.

I'm sure you "logged in" considering you couldn't even figure out how to register, lol.  Obvious trolling attempt.  At least before you were the slightest bit subtle about it with your over blown complaint.

This is the exact point I was trying to make. Where, if at all, did I come across as "elitist" for saying your attention span can't handle a multi-step process for registering an account? Did you even do any research on this game what-so-ever, because, like I said, if you can't even stand to go through the setup process how on Earth did you expect to enjoy this game?

Either you are exaggerating how long it was taking or you can't follow instructions; either way, you had no idea what you were in store for in game.

You're misconstruing my point entirely, and insulting my attention span is a rather weak point. I've created accounts for more MMOs than I care to count, so I'm pretty sure I can handle a multi-step process, thanks ;). But I appreciate the ad hominem.

My point is this game is being completely overshadowed by it's cumbersome and irritating account system that is so unnecessary. I don't need to prove myself worthy of playing a game by defeating their mini-game of an Account System. Somehow because I don't enjoy going through cumbersome and confusing menus, I won't be able to enjoy the game? What a terrible argument.

I'm not dissing the game AT ALL. I don't CARE about the game. It's the account creation system that irks me to no end. Stop being a defensive fanboy.

___

"I'm sure you "logged in" considering you couldn't even figure out how to register, lol. Obvious trolling attempt. At least before you were the slightest bit subtle about it with your over blown complaint."

___

LOL, really? Are you serious? Is this a serious post?

I don't even have a reply for this. I'm sorry. But LOL.

oh lawd <3

• notprescientnotprescient Member CommonPosts: 20

If someone wants to hit the level cap of a game in a week? Yeah, that's an "I want it now" attitude.

If a person wants to get the best gear in the game without putting in a lot of effort? Yeah, that's an "I want it now" attitude.

If a person wants to immediately log in and compete with the best of the best? Yeah, that's an "I want it now" attitude.

If a person wants to create an account without trudging through cumbersome and counter-intuitive menus? That's just fucking common sense.

You act like you're some posh elite badass motherfucker because you decided that you'd stick it to the man, and beat their fucking puzzle mini-game of a god damn account creation system. Oh man, bravo dude, bravo. If only I had the fervor you did to stick to it, and win that puzzle game that is creating an account! Yeah!

So please, spare me the elitist parvenuity. PlayOnline is so far beyond a 'tad' frustrating, it's ridiculous. I just find it incomprehensible that a company as big as Square Enix could back such a detestable program for their account system.

I think if you're actually reading the instructions instead of expecting to be handheld through it by a big box that says "YOU PUT KEY IN HERE," you wouldn't have any problems. I love PlayOnline and never had a problem with it other than that the account name/password system is kind of dumb in that if you lose it, its gone for good and its such random nonsense to have to save. When I first installed and registered my keys for the game and the first four expansions, I had zero problems. It can't honestly be that complicated.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

I know this is semi necro, but I just had to make a point. The OP said PlayOnline was too hard to register an account. Let me walk everyone through it.

Start up POL > Join PlayOnline > Enter POL ID found in back of manual > Enter FFXI ID(s) found in back of manual > Enter account information > Enter Billing Information > Log in with newly created account > Click Games > Buy FFXI Content ID (which it tells you to do once you register) > Play FFXI.

Reviewing the above steps, I don't see how you thought this was frustrating. It has like two more steps which take an extra minute or so to complete that is different from other MMO's. If you don't want to take an extra 5 minutes max to register, then like others have said, FFXi is not for you.

If I had the choice to keep POL or get rid of it, I'd keep it. Notice there are no hacked f2p FFXI worlds. POL keeps everyone wanting to play FFXI on the official worlds. I think thats worth 5 extra minutes to register and an extra mouse click to get in the game.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

i total agree with OP

what a total crap this playonline is

i don't have an paid account for FFXI but seems to me they don't want my money lol

TRAIL says the site.. so press on it seem te redirect you to fileplanet --> loggin there --> flieplanet needs to give you  a code to entre in play online but no code is given lol only linjk for the download..

total garbage!!

Originally posted by Snoepie

i total agree with OP

what a total crap this playonline is

i don't have an paid account for FFXI but seems to me they don't want my money lol

TRAIL says the site.. so press on it seem te redirect you to fileplanet --> loggin there --> flieplanet needs to give you  a code to entre in play online but no code is given lol only linjk for the download..

total garbage!!

Im not sure if i understand you correctly but if i do your problem as nothing to do with playonline...Your prob lie with fileplanet. So you might consider to check you fileplanet account, there  is a section where you can see all beta and trial keys you got. Next time before bashing something, just take the time to ask for help..

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

well i finally got my code.. from different website then fileplanet..

so i put in the code in playonline... --> code invalid..

Seems to me i keep bumping in new error's lol

going to give it a shot a couple of times else its bye bye FFXXI

i bought the game also couple of month's ago and had the same problems as i have now..

• rellorello Member Posts: 186

Haha, this guys having troubles with POL?

Just wait until he gets in games and has to deal with a different UI.

• spunkymonspunkymon Member Posts: 9

im new to this site but im glad to see that there are still some true ffxi player out there lol but to comment on that dummy even if he got on he would mostly have quit after the hares or one gud dune pt lol oh yea and not to mention the 7-8 hour update b4 u can even think about playing

spunkymon

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by spunkymon

im new to this site but im glad to see that there are still some true ffxi player out there lol but to comment on that dummy even if he got on he would mostly have quit after the hares or one gud dune pt lol oh yea and not to mention the 7-8 hour update b4 u can even think about playing

it doesnt matter, he wont be playing (and honestly if he doesnt play 14, that wouldnt hurt either)  The game is CLEARLY not going to be for him, millions of people went through POL with soooo much less trouble (yes POL isnt the best, but its nowere as bad as you put it)

and yes there is a LONG update, the games been around for basically 8 years, so if it was smaller id be concerned.