Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New CBT2 gameplay videos (loads of 'em)

GoggyGoggy Member Posts: 84

So, the CBT2 has started and the first videos are starting to materialize.

Archer gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SibhLYSEHe8&feature=player_embedded#

Aman Berserker gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP381MggSNA

Elementalist gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVofhAwxdw&feature=player_embedded#

Lancer gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGWkyjvgeQ&feature=player_embedded

Slayer gameplay (pretty cool ,considering its a bloody Panda with a sword)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDa3hKTmdGE&feature=player_embedded

Sorcerer gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VInRkCwNH3c&feature=player_embedded#

Warrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4n3JOH9M-I&feature=player_embedded

Pegasus transportation video (gorgeous, flies into the city aswell, looks lovely.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjnmwhKNT9Y&feature=player_embedded

open world raid boss encounter (cool looking boss)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd3C9mucbmQ&feature=player_embedded#

Environment gameplay  (lush)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISa3xWnyKwk&feature=player_embedded

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Is Tera zoned or is it full roam (I.E. Vanguard style)?

Site is pretty barren on info...

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I was looking at them while I was over at ONrpg.  They look great.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

amazing!!!!!!!!

Is the game gender locked?

hopefully the game comes out in the usa soon!

• GoggyGoggy Member Posts: 84

From what i've read it is free roaming, quite a big map aswell, there is a screenie of the map, will  have to find it for you.

All races will be able to be all classes, don't think it is gender locked either apart from for the Baraka. They can only be male.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556
    Originally posted by Goggy

From what i've read it is free roaming, quite a big map aswell, there is a screenie of the map, will  have to find it for you.
    All races will be able to be all classes, don't think it is gender locked either apart from for the Baraka. They can only be male.

Awesome, thank you. Yea, I'll have to look around for it, I'm sure I can find it somewhere.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

I completely forgot about this game.  The graphics are absolutely stunning, and this coming from someone who generally dislikes eastern art styles.  What really sticks out to me is the combat, how it seems to break the standard Korean combat mold that I've seen regurgitated a hundred times over.  Definitely keeping this one on my radar.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

It looks absolutely amazing they ofc managed to capture the L2 feeling which is what I wanted really.

• GoggyGoggy Member Posts: 84

I hope TERA will be nothing like Lineage2.

Another bit of environment gameplay, nice visuals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ez25EWC5pA

Well L2 has the best environments and immersion of any game I have played, it already feels like L2, I am not talking about the grind, I am talking about environment, soundtrack, seemless world, PVP and Politics, if its nothing like L2 in those aspects I wont play it. If its just a quest grinder with pretty gfx sorry I have played too many of those over the last 5 years.

But Im not worried environment wise you can tell its made by the ppl who designed L2, loot on the ground (finally), mob quality, environments and their quest to have the most concurrent users on one server so that part is already done, what we need to know is how is territorial control and pvp in general going to work (if there is any).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Something i noticed when checking out the specs of this game.

It reminds me of Vanguard ,they are trying to achieve top notch graphics under a system that does not help it out too well.

9600gt card,DX9c and a core 2 duo.Well we all know core 2 duo and 9600 card was designed with DX10 in mind,so i think rather than have the same problems with VG,they are asking for modern hardware advanced above the DX9c platform.All in all,i would say you are going to need a pretty good system to fully enjoy the graphics,just as you did in VG.

I have not really paid much attention to the view distance in videos,or how they render the graphics,i guess i will watch the videos more closely.

From what i have seen,the mechanics of combat are based on the usual longer delays for more powerful attacks.I am hoping for a little more controlled combat,more one on one,most of the videos i have seen show a lot of hyper, multiple mob fighting,one case the ranger was soloing about a dozen mobs,not too realistic,i hope that was a player above the level  of the mobs and not the normal game play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

It reminds me of Vanguard ,they are trying to achieve top notch graphics under a system that does not help it out too well.
    9600gt card,DX9c and a core 2 duo.Well we all know core 2 duo and 9600 card was designed with DX10 in mind,so i think rather than have the same problems with VG,they are asking for modern hardware advanced above the DX9c platform.All in all,i would say you are going to need a pretty good system to fully enjoy the graphics,just as you did in VG.
    I have not really paid much attention to the view distance in videos,or how they render the graphics,i guess i will watch the videos more closely.
    From what i have seen,the mechanics of combat are based on the usual longer delays for more powerful attacks.I am hoping for a little more controlled combat,more one on one,most of the videos i have seen show a lot of hyper, multiple mob fighting,one case the ranger was soloing about a dozen mobs,not too realistic,i hope that was a player above the level  of the mobs and not the normal game play.

Unlike VG, Tera will be using the UE3, there is a world of difference between those two iterations, not only does the UE3 provide ALOT more gfx power than UE2 it also is more optimized. Not to say that they cannot mess it up, but if your card can run UT3 smoothly (on whatever settings you find appropriate) chances are you will be able to run TERA well and you can certainly run UT3 at an above acceptable level with a core 2 and a 9600 card.

From the CBT2 videos I have seen the game looks pretty smooth and not jittery, ofc I dunno what specs these ppl are running their games on but so far there is no indication of lack of performance or even remotely the problems VG had during beta and at start.

From what I have seen from combat and the videos it seems like they are creating a hybrid system between the AoC approach and the classical target and press the skill system, you will still have skills to use but rather than being restrained by what you are targeting the skills work by themselves and affect whatever is in the range or area of effect of the specific skill and ofc this is combined with what you described which is skills can be charged up which to me seems like a good twist since unleshing a skill full potentially is a tactical decision.

Regarding the group mobs I am not sure if the character is much higher level or not, but knowing that the developers background is from L2 this sort of design of group mobs looks like their standard implementation where you have a harder single mob in the group (the leader) and smaller much easier ones, but besides that I do agree overall it seems like the Mob AI does need a bit of tweaking and "faster reaction" cause at the moment and this is from a perspective of all the videos I have watched it seems like the reaction of the mobs is too slow and linear.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

graphics look alright, but is everyone really only using 1-2 skills over and over? I hope that's not how the combat is supposed to be.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by rav3n2

It looks absolutely amazing they ofc managed to capture the L2 feeling which is what I wanted really.

/agree

I was thinking the same thing, rav3n... Watching the vids as they're running along the roads and the little "camps" of mobs are set on either side... the forest in the background... yeah... very very much reminds me of L2... in a very good way. 

And the combat looks *fun*. Like... not as in other MMOs where it's repetitious. The Lancer video, in particular, was quite funny... skinny female Lancer running headlong into a group of mobs... The Archer kiting those swarms of hopping things...

Just looks to me like combat itself will be a lot of fun.

Here's hoping.

P.S. If you are a Panda... I will kill you. Conversely, if you're a Panda and you kill me... I will deny it ever happened. XD Something just is not right about a panda running around fighting things.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

I was hoping it'd be ported to the NA audience and when it was announced I almost shit my pants. 

Good find on the videos, really looking forward to this title. 

Originally posted by Wizardry

Unlike VG, Tera will be using the UE3, there is a world of difference between those two iterations, not only does the UE3 provide ALOT more gfx power than UE2 it also is more optimized. Not to say that they cannot mess it up, but if your card can run UT3 smoothly (on whatever settings you find appropriate) chances are you will be able to run TERA well and you can certainly run UT3 at an above acceptable level with a core 2 and a 9600 card.

From the CBT2 videos I have seen the game looks pretty smooth and not jittery, ofc I dunno what specs these ppl are running their games on but so far there is no indication of lack of performance or even remotely the problems VG had during beta and at start.

From what I have seen from combat and the videos it seems like they are creating a hybrid system between the AoC approach and the classical target and press the skill system, you will still have skills to use but rather than being restrained by what you are targeting the skills work by themselves and affect whatever is in the range or area of effect of the specific skill and ofc this is combined with what you described which is skills can be charged up which to me seems like a good twist since unleshing a skill full potentially is a tactical decision.

Regarding the group mobs I am not sure if the character is much higher level or not, but knowing that the developers background is from L2 this sort of design of group mobs looks like their standard implementation where you have a harder single mob in the group (the leader) and smaller much easier ones, but besides that I do agree overall it seems like the Mob AI does need a bit of tweaking and "faster reaction" cause at the moment and this is from a perspective of all the videos I have watched it seems like the reaction of the mobs is too slow and linear.

Yeah... Unreal Engine 2 was still designed specifically for isolated environments (ie. levels), not large seamless worlds. For Lineage 2 (for one example), NC had to retro-fit the streaming tech into the engine, which is why you'd get a lot of lag and chop around chunk lines... it was literally loading and weaving together a number of individual maps in real time. Unreal Engine 2 maps can be pretty large, so it was a lot of info to stream in. I give NC credit for having pulled it off, even if not perfectly.

Unreal Engine 3 was redone from the ground up to handle large streaming environments natively, so there's no "retro-fitting" required. They've also put *a lot* more focus on "poly-soup" geometry (that is, arbitrary 3D models, such that you'd model in 3DSMax, Maya, etc) than on BSP. BSP tech, which all the first few generation engines (Quake, Quake 2, Unreal, etc) relied very heavily on for almost everything (visibility, collision, etc) was very slow and very restricted. BSP tech in Unreal Engine 3, from what I can see, is used to create a "shell" for indoor areas, or for simple flat surfaces (walls, floors, ramps, etc), and perhaps to help set up zoning. Outside of that, it's hardly ever used anymore. 

That's a bit rambling... so...

TL;DR version:

The Unreal Engine 3 is optimized for large, streaming environments and, so, much more ideal for MMOs than Unreal Engine 2 was.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

Well L2 has the best environments and immersion of any game I have played, it already feels like L2, I am not talking about the grind, I am talking about environment, soundtrack, seemless world, PVP and Politics, if its nothing like L2 in those aspects I wont play it. If its just a quest grinder with pretty gfx sorry I have played too many of those over the last 5 years.

But Im not worried environment wise you can tell its made by the ppl who designed L2, loot on the ground (finally), mob quality, environments and their quest to have the most concurrent users on one server so that part is already done, what we need to know is how is territorial control and pvp in general going to work (if there is any).

Again... /agree heheh. We're gonna have to make sure to get each other's character names when it gets over here, rav3n :-p.

The look/feel and politics and player interaction is really what I enjoy most about L2. The grind, to be honest, never phased me. I was never in a hurry to level and so grinding levels (down in a Cata, or elsewhere) became something to do while hanging out chatting with friends on Vent that you were grinding with.  L2 was about the PvP and there was so much you could do to "be involved" in the game without having to be level cap. Castle sieges... working the market, etc. 

Now.. I wouldn't want it to be like L2 in how ridiculously overrun with botters and RMT the game is. I'd like the grind to be enough to where it's not all about "racing to endgame", but quick enough to keep some sense of progress there. I think that latter bit will be the toughest.. people are so damn obsessed with "getting to level cap as fast as possible" that the game could have top-shelf quality content otherwise, at all level ranges, and they wouldn't care, because the leveling isn't fast enough and they're convinced that "end game is all that matters", and everything before it is useless "filler".

Incidentally... I really wish that "endgame is all that matters" mentality would go the way of the dodo already. It's not because I want to "dictate how others play", but because of how it's affecting the games coming out. More and more developers are falling over themselves trying to appease that crowd, and it's resulting in MMOs becoming ever more shallow and uninteresting.... which is, ironically, resulting in many of those same people complaining that the games don't have enough content... which leads to them wanting end-game to come even faster, because the rest of the game isn't interesting enough. /facepalm. It's like an animal eating its own tail. 

• GoldenDogGoldenDog Member Posts: 586

I hope they fix that clipping with the ground and maybe make the arrows look more like arrows and less like mouse cursors.

Aside from that, the game looks great.  Combat seems a tad slow sometimes, but it's really hard to tell from just watching a video.  I'm interested enough to try it out for a month, but Aion has recently taught me that great graphics alone don't make a game.

I'm getting to the age where a comedic storyline has more appeal than looks.  IE monkey island and most of taletell's other refurbished lines (Sam & Max).

LineageII | LoTRO | RFO | 9Dragons | Aion | Perfect World | Ether Saga | Dungeon Runners | GuildWars 1 and 2 | Hellgate London | tCoS | Warhammer | AoC | Tabula Rasa | SWTOR
    youtube.com/gcidogmeat
    Originally posted by GoldenDog

I hope they fix that clipping with the ground and maybe make the arrows look more like arrows and less like mouse cursors.

Aside from that, the game looks great.  Combat seems a tad slow sometimes, but it's really hard to tell from just watching a video.  I'm interested enough to try it out for a month, but Aion has recently taught me that great graphics alone don't make a game.
    I'm getting to the age where a comedic storyline has more appeal than looks.  IE monkey island and most of taletell's other refurbished lines (Sam & Max).

I kinda like the apparent pacing of the game. I prefer it when fights with anything of a comparable level to my own actually feels like a fight and not like "1 shot... 2 shot... dead.... Next.... 1 shot... 2 shot... dead... Next... 1 shot.... 2 shot... 3 shot... oooh this one's tougher... dead.... Next...". A good battle system should provide enough time to actually *enjoy it*.

The problem with many MMOs I've played (in my own opinion of course) is that the combat system isn't interesting enough to make a prolonged fight fun, much less challenging. A well designed battle system is best staged by having longer battles where the nuances of combat actually come into play.

In FFXI, for example, you cannot just "whack-a-mole" many mobs to death. The fights are longer and there are opportunities for various enemies to do some serious damage (special attacks, DoTs, etc)... so knowing how and when to use everything in your arsenal comes into play and makes the combat that much more interesting. Even when fighting similar enemies who follow a similar pattern, they'll sometimes change up attacks, or use a more powerful one instead of a weaker one, etc... which could spell trouble for the player if they're not prepared, etc.

If everything in FFXI were 1 or 2 shot kills... those scenarios would never come into play and it would become just another variation on "whack-a-mole". 

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I agree with what you are saying, the UE3 engine has seen some quite improvements over its older version. Not only from a gamers point of view but also a developers/designers.

Though, as far as the graphicscard goes. A 9600 is a pretty old card, i believe it was released somewhere around 2008 Q1? Followed pretty shortly by a more powerful 9800 just 1-2 months later.

A decent 9800 or 250 card can be bought today for around 115  eur, which isnt really much when asking for a good allaround graphicscard. Double the amount of money and you'll get a pretty good card. Buy two and run crossfire for insane performance boost. (look at tomshardware charts)

• andrew24pandrew24p Member Posts: 70

Hmm look great but can you jump i havent seen a video yet where it shows someone jumping one of your videos show the person walkling off something but not jumping :(

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

So you guys really like how this game is? I cant believe it. The combat system is so bad. And watching those videos almost made my hears explode because of the stupid noise like (yaaa graaa yeee haaa yyyyyaaa) so annoying. The animation are really bad looking and the only 2 race that got great animation are human and the big tall dude. Woman are only good for you if you want some porn while playing seriously.

Bow is so bad. I mean, they look more like starwars guns you know... When you shoot, it do that ping ping ping sound. So stupid to add a sound like that to a bow. I mean, is this game si-fi or medieval. To me, it look more si-fi in a bad way.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

So you guys really like how this game is? I cant believe it. The combat system is so bad. And watching those videos almost made my hears explode because of the stupid noise like (yaaa graaa yeee haaa yyyyyaaa) so annoying. The animation are really bad looking and the only 2 race that got great animation are human and the big tall dude. Woman are only good for you if you want some porn while playing seriously.
    Bow is so bad. I mean, they look more like starwars guns you know... When you shoot, it do that ping ping ping sound. So stupid to add a sound like that to a bow. I mean, is this game si-fi or medieval. To me, it look more si-fi in a bad way.

Its not for everyone. You cant believe other ppl like things you dont like?

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Allthough i can agree with you about some of the animations and the character sounds can me annoying at times. But thats just the sort of thing you'd come to expect from a eastern-type MMO nowadays.

Some like it, some doesnt like it - thats just the way the world works. Personally, im in something between. Im for the gameplay of a game mostly, if some characters sound cracked up thats something i can live it.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Actually that sound comes from the mobs not the player if you hear well or turn your sound high the female character has a different voice and the "shout" is being repeated many times since she pulled many of them.

Wow well... you know...

I was really eager to check it out because it looks very reminiscent of Lineage 2, another MMO I enjoyed... and I rather like the art style and the detail of the texture art.. and the environments look really nice.. The combat seems "fast and dynamic" which I enjoy in that style of game... 

But that was before I knew that you, Realbigdeal, didn't like it and thought it looks awful.

I think I'll now have to step back and re-evaluate everything I thought about TERA, because surely, if you don't like it, then there's no reason anyone else should either.

Thank you for sweeping into this thread and giving us all a wake up call. For sure you've saved us all from a most terrible fate as forming our own opinions, or worse yet, possibly playing TERA.

You're my hero.

No, really.

/sarcasm