Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking AGAIN

neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I recently acquired a brand new laptop that will run games made this century, so I am looking for new things to try. I am expecting a new desktop for my birthday in January as well, and it will likely be a pretty good (brand new ) one as well.

I downloaded the Vanguard trial, but it locked up on launching every time, and while a little search revealed that someone else had the same problem (hanging up on "Enumerating Sound Devices" , according to the log) and solved it by disabling their sound card, I decided this was really too much of a pain in the butt for a free trial, and it didn't give me a lot of confidence in the client. I'd heard good things about it from a friend, so I was a little disappointed. I may try it again sometime later.

I downloaded the trial for Warhammer Online, which I am enjoying at the newbie end of things, but I know that it is an RvR game, which I am not sure is really something I am interested in. I might give it a go, but I am skeptical, since I generally prefer PvE.

So, I am looking for a recent release (p2p preferred, but I am not totally opposed to f2p) that's PvE-oriented. (Alternately, if PvP is unavoidable, I prefer FFA PvP over faction-based PvP.)  I like a game with a strong questing system, but I don't like feelng like I am being dragged through the storyline against my will. I don't care about crafting and prefer that it is an optional part of the game. I like opportunities to work together with others in groups and/or guilds. I like interesting places to explore, with neat and unexpected things to find. I prefer fantasy games. I like a lot of options for races and classes, but that's secondary to having a good, solid game.

My long-term love was EQ (1) . I loved logging in every day with limitless options (to work on quests or group for exp or to go hunt loot or all three at the same time. Or to raid. Or to craft 850 shirts in the hopes of getting one skill-up. Or to try to do something crazy, like climbing high objects or trekking to a zone I'd never seen. Or, in more recent times, to run different sorts of missions, etc.-- Less structured play is what I am getting at, I guess.)

Prior to getting the new computer, I was playing Jade Dynasty (which looks great on the new computer), and while there are certain aspects that I love, the game changed radically after level 90 and became a lot more expensive and/or time-consuming. I love the huge number of events. I like the different sorts of achievement and what can be unlocked with those (e.g. romance points gotten from quests unlocking marriage, honor getting you on the leaderboards, unlocking hero scroll quests, and giving you honor gems for getting gear, etc.) I like all the ways to participate in building your clan and alliance, and the benefits that come from being in a clan. I am just not too thrilled with the game post-90, and in particular with the expense of it, and all the ways it seems to force you into spending money just to play, much less to compete. I sort of liked the Chinese fantasy theme.

I stopped following new games a while ago, since my old desktop was such a dinosaur, so I only know a little bit about things released more recently. Anything sound like it might be up my alley?

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Seems like you want options? check out fallen earth, eve online and ryzom. For more of a linear gameplay check out Lotro, Aion, Champions online, Everquest 2 and Aoc.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

FFXIV is something I'd suggest checking out. It is a PvE focused game with strong questing system. It's predecessor took a lot of features from EQ1, so I'd guess that the sequel will not differ much from the same concept (although it shares some features from games like Ultima Online). If you have any questions, do ask.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I suggest trying out the city of heroes trial. You'll probably fall in love with it. You be pretty much anything from a wizard to a robot. A pirate to a ninja. Or even a pirate ninja with fire and ice powers. I could write 100 pages on why its awesome, but the trial should speak for itself. Unlike most games, the fun starts when you log in. You'll probably spend an hour creating your first character. If you're the creative type, you'll spend 2 hours on it. Then when you start playing its super fun. Once you hit like level 14 you start to really feel like a badass. 

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

FFXIV is something I'd suggest checking out. It is a PvE focused game with strong questing system. It's predecessor took a lot of features from EQ1, so I'd guess that the sequel will not differ much from the same concept (although it shares some features from games like Ultima Online). If you have any questions, do ask.

For god's sake, stop referring people to game that is NOT OUT YET when they ask for a new game to play NOW.

Back on topic, LOTRO is very PvE focused, and if your laptop can handle running it in DX10, its a beautiful game as well, although the char animations are a little . . . stiff.

Originally posted by zeowyrm

For god's sake, stop referring people to game that is NOT OUT YET when they ask for a new game to play NOW.

Why?

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Why?

To tell you the truth, its simply getting annoying. I don't think ive ever seen any post of yours where your not talking about ff and everytime you suggest the game people mostly are annoyed by the fact that the game isnt even out.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

To tell you the truth, its simply getting annoying. I don't think ive ever seen any post of yours where your not talking about ff and everytime you suggest the game people mostly are annoyed by the fact that the game isnt even out.

I don't think any OP has ever gotten annoyed about me making a suggestion to him. Even if the game isn't out yet, at least I pointed out something to look forward to if nothing else. Frankly, it's better than saying "sorry bro, all the games right now pretty much suck. I wouldn't bother with anything." 

People other than the OP's might be annoyed, but why should I care about them? I posted my suggestion for the OP, not for you nor anyone else. 

So, any real reason for me to stop suggesting the game? I think neither the OP nor me care about you guys getting annoyed, so suck it up or don't read my posts.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I am going to try out LoTRO. 

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I might give FFXIV a try when it comes out. I hope the UI turns out better than FFXI though. The interface turned out to be a deal-breaker for me.