Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could DESTROY one MMO...

Comments

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

I want to pick WoW, just because it took the runescape community to a whole new level.

But since I can't, I guess I pick runescape.

WoW's community is the worst community I have ever seen in an MMO, ever. It's like taking 1 million 13 year old boys and putting them all in the same room.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

You took away my one and only choice, and not even for the right reasons. This was no fun at all! :P

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I see why you made the rule "dont pick wow"

The only people who wouldn't pick WoW are WoW fanboys who aren't even real gamers. The only mmo they've played is WoW and actually think its original. Its the reason why all these MMOs have terrible communities. Thats what happens when you introduce millions of non-gamers with thousands of non-games. Its like millions of a parasites taking over a small body. I wouldn't destroy WoW, I'd destroy Blizzard's bank account. They had a ton of money to dump into advertising. its the only reason WoW is popular. They can afford to advertise on televison where non-gamers (or potential..."casual" gamers) can find out about it.

Anyway, I would probably destroy an awesome game Ultima Online. Not in the past, but right now. This way they'd be forced to remake it and update it. The concept of everyone starting with the same exact stats and getting stronger in certain things by doing those certain things without ever picking a class seems like the best way to go about things.

• Predator160Predator160 Member Posts: 128

Besides WOW? I guess I would delete WAR. I wasted a lot of time to get to a high level and then endgame sucked and it wasn't as good as DAOC. For me it was a big let down. The only people still playing it are in denial to the fact that it's just not that good. Also the Renown Point system didn't work because end game ended up being more like PVE farming with with other players...and there's no purpose to fight anywhere except at hot spots for the RP. I would like to erase this game and force EA mythic to start on DAOC 2.

WAR, like communism- its a good idea on paper but when put to the test, fails. I only wish I could erase my memories of WAR also.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Aion.

• QrayeQraye Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by caalem

I want to pick WoW, just because it took the runescape community to a whole new level.

WoW's community is the worst community I have ever seen in an MMO, ever. It's like taking 1 million 13 year old boys and putting them all in the same room.

The more people playing a game then there is a likelyhood of a higher percentage of "undesireables". If you choose to focus on those people then the community outlook is grim, if you act like a mature individual with appropriate manner and disposition then you would see the overwhelming amount of good people. Its all in your outlook, perhaps you should reflect on yours.

• smellysockssmellysocks Member Posts: 230

Final Fantasy XI, dont like there retarted login security.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Travian.

I bet you didn't think it was an MMO?

(Check the games list... MMORPG.com does! ??)

Why?

Poor game design.  A player should never be put in a position where the only option is to delete their account and restart.

Unless it is a perma death game and they are dead... not the case in Travian.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

Aion. It's one of the most popular MMOs at the moment and to me it looks like another korean grinder, UI, graphics everything.

EDIT: 100th post!

• GnemoiGnemoi Member Posts: 19

EVE. Truely Fantastic concept, I'm just super bored with the space settings, I'd like to see it in medieval settings with swords n stuff, it should be possible.

• MistmouseMistmouse Member Posts: 91

War, its such a let down from DaoC

• TaswavoTaswavo Member Posts: 26

Would have to be SWG.

Anyone that used to play it when it was a totally different game would know why...

Stay Frosty

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

I am going to violate the set "rules" and destroy an expansion, not a game....and that expansion is Trials of Atlantis. Completely ruined DAoC for me....and I loved DAoC....I loved it like it was my own flesh and blood....

• Psycho2kPsycho2k Member Posts: 63

Hmm, because of the rules layed down by the OP, I would have to go with Wrath of the Lich King (Its not WoW exactly, just an expansion :D) because for me it was the moment that I completely lost what little interest I had left in the game, which wasn't all that much anyway since TBC because I was never a huge fan of that expansion neither.  Levelling became even faster (not that is was all that slow to start with, and especially not after TBC) and instances (and raids) became so boring for me, my real life friends, who to be honest were a huge part of the reason I was even still subscribed to a game that did a lot of things ok without being truly amazing at any, started to feel the same and quit which really left me no reason to play anymore.

However, If that choice is against the thread rules then I will pick SWG after the NGE (probably after the CU if I'm totally honest) because it ruined the true community feel of the game I loved being a part of, something I think no game (except possibly EVE but that's not my style of game unfortunately) has managed to achieve since, at least not for me (and I do try most of them).

• colddogcolddog Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Qraye

The more people playing a game then there is a likelyhood of a higher percentage of "undesireables". If you choose to focus on those people then the community outlook is grim, if you act like a mature individual with appropriate manner and disposition then you would see the overwhelming amount of good people. Its all in your outlook, perhaps you should reflect on yours.

I like your style. The truth is, if you meet a few good people in WoW, it can be an extremely fun game. If you dabble in trade chat and PuG, it can be the worst game ever. Server choice is important too.  This is how every MMO is.

I would destroy Aion because it brings absolutely nothing new to the table and has what I consider a delusional playerbase. The people that defend this game just want to believe it's different for some reason more than any other game I've seen. I wanted it to be great too. After I played a chanter it to 36, I realized what it was and moved on.

Blow this game up and send the message that clones are unacceptable. Particularly clones that are worse versions of their predecessor. 

• mugengaiamugengaia Member Posts: 347
    Originally posted by colddog

I like your style. The truth is, if you meet a few good people in WoW, it can be an extremely fun game. If you dabble in trade chat and PuG, it can be the worst game ever. Server choice is important too.  This is how every MMO is.

I would destroy Aion because it brings absolutely nothing new to the table and has what I consider a delusional playerbase. The people that defend this game just want to believe it's different for some reason more than any other game I've seen. I wanted it to be great too. After I played a chanter it to 36, I realized what it was and moved on.

Blow this game up and send the message that clones are unacceptable. Particularly clones that are worse versions of their predecessor. 

Uhhh yea...

I think like a year ago, the actual korean game developers said Aion wasn't bringing anything new to the table.  Just a mix-and-mash of other MMO's features...

Where did you get this idea that Aion was supposed to introduce something new?  When the developers from their own's mouths explained in an interview, that it's nothing new...

Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't seen any false advertising of the sort. 

Just my two cents buddy...By the way I don't play Aion...

GRIND sucks? You wanna be max level in a month?
    Since when did society award easy-goers and lazy-fools?
    MAKES ME PHOBIC OF STUPIDITY!

Originally posted by mugengaia

Uhhh yea...

I think like a year ago, the actual korean game developers said Aion wasn't bringing anything new to the table.  Just a mix-and-mash of other MMO's features...

Where did you get this idea that Aion was supposed to introduce something new?  When the developers from their own's mouths explained in an interview, that it's nothing new...

Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't seen any false advertising of the sort. 

Just my two cents buddy...By the way I don't play Aion...

I'm with you on this. It brings nothing new to the table. I'm glad we agree. There are a lot of players that don't.

• pepsibottlepepsibottle Member Posts: 95

Aion.

It simply does not deserve to have so many players. It's a very stale and vey boring game but got a tremendous amount of hype from both the media outlets and the fanboys. The thought alone that a Korean company which is known for it's mindless, contentless grinds has so much power in the West is scary.

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

Why would I want to destroy something other people enjoy?  I've got better things to do than be bitter about people not liking what I like.

• pepsibottlepepsibottle Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by dstar.

Why would I want to destroy something other people enjoy?

Bad companies need to go and need to go belly up. What you're asking is similar to this:

"why do bad banks need to go bankrupt? Some people will be out of a job. Let's bail every company out!!!!1111"

Then you get corruption and low customer service, people with ridiculous wages etc...because it doesn't matter what you do,..as long as you make enough hype or cry a river when it goes bad, you'll get saved. It shouldn't work like that.  Bad companies need to go.

And yes, it's the same with MMO companies, they need to be exposed when there are issues with their games and service, so the genre evolves and gets better.

Why would I want to destroy something other people enjoy?  I've got better things to do than be bitter about people not liking what I like.

This is called a buzz kill. This is completely hypothetical and does not reflect on the person posting in any real personal way. Let loose and bring the opinions. It makes things so much more interesting.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Perfect World.  Every time someone plays this crap ass "free" MMO, they shift the MMO market  trends slightly towards a RMT market... aka trash games with crap content that use their "free" status as an excuse to develop a piece of garbage game... while they are secretly making more money per player via the cash shop than a subscription game that's a thousand times better.

• SikgamerSikgamer Member Posts: 77

I wouldn't say destroy WoW, not because it's a good game (It's not, it's a terrible teen-nerd magnet), but because it was what made MMOs truly 'mainstream'. If MMOs didn't become mainstream we'd get nowhere. We'd have games in the present looking like Ultima Online with the exception of better sprites. WoW, along with EQ, was what turned MMOs mainstream by making it a 3d experience. And that's a good thing, because it brings competition which leads to better games.

If UO or SWG or Runescape were the only truly popular MMOs, we'd have a LOT of top-down korean-style 2d MMOs. Sure we already do, but 3d games would be both a rare and ugly experience compared to how it is now. A lot of 3D MMORPGs take WoW and EQ as an example, and while many argue this leads to bad gameplay, it's all dependant on how many people are paying and playing, not supporting the niche audience who love 'this and that and that, nothing else' because companies lose money in doing that.

Maybe in the future we'll stumble upon an entirely new genre which is pushed into mainstream and overshadows all MMORPGs in the market, including WoW. For example what if a hugely popular, innovative console game was made Massively Multiplayer? Would both console and PC gaming be revolutionized, or would said game crumble under the likes of current, more stable MMOs?

I.M.O though, if any MMORPG were to be destroyed, I'd say Runescape, because it's damaging a lot of young kids' lives by getting them hugely addicted to the game.

Unique upcoming indie space-based mining and combat game - Miner Wars.
    http://www.minerwars.com/?aid=191

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by GPrestige

You don't have to reply. Go make your own thread or something, get out of here.
    Deal with it, dog

I would destroy Civony, but only if it means that all the gold-farmers I mean developers would burn with it.

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

This is called a buzz kill. This is completely hypothetical and does not reflect on the person posting in any real personal way. Let loose and bring the opinions. It makes things so much more interesting.

Ok, then whatever MMO you play or like I would kill.  There we go.