Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runic games = the new Blizzard

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

If you haven't heard of Torchlight by now then wake up. Its one of the most fantastic action rpgs ever since Diablo 2. The creators of Diablo,Fate and Mythos have a major hit on their hands and they are now currently working on the Torchlight mmo. These are the guys who played a major part in Blizzard's success. You can check out the game at www.torchlightgame.com/. Its a fantastic game and if you are a big Diablo fan you will not be disappointed.

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Another rehash of a rehash of tired old Diablo.  It's a one-trick company.

• Originally posted by Dibdabs

D2 still offers more compelling gameplay than nearly every mmo on the market. 

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by zaxxon23

Originally posted by Dibdabs

D2 still offers more compelling gameplay than nearly every mmo on the market. 

Hack and slash is compelling? I do admit to liking mindless killing now and then though. My favorite Diablo clone (better actually imo) was Titan Quest.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Wait a moment, wasn't Mythos from Flagship? The ones that brought us Hellgate loldon?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Wait a moment, wasn't Mythos from Flagship? The ones that brought us Hellgate loldon?

Yeah they was from FSS but they were based out of Seattle and was working on Mythos, not Hellgate.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by SaintViktor
    Originally posted by -aLpHa- Wait a moment, wasn't Mythos from Flagship? The ones that brought us Hellgate loldon?

Yeah they was from FSS but they were based out of Seattle and was working on Mythos, not Hellgate.

Thats still no reassurance ^^. So you play the game and it's really good? The website is really slow, so i can't check their media stuff.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

If you haven't heard of Torchlight by now then wake up. Its one of the most fantastic action rpgs ever since Diablo 2. The creators of Diablo,Fate and Mythos have a major hit on their hands and they are now currently working on the Torchlight mmo. These are the guys who played a major part in Blizzard's success. You can check out the game at www.torchlightgame.com/. Its a fantastic game and if you are a big Diablo fan you will not be disappointed.

Are you getting paid for each thread you start promoting this game?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Its abit suspicous that the OP was bashing pretty much every MMO out there some time ago and now suddenly is posting alot of overly positive threads about a single player game no one cares about...

Diablo was great because it had atmoshphere... making a diablo clone with WoW graphics but without multiplayer doesnt sound that great....

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

I downloaded the Demo from Steam a few days ago - I like it and its very additing

• ragnaur23ragnaur23 Member UncommonPosts: 24

I have seen the game, it does sound fun and interesting, however Sacred 2 is a better "Diablo" Clone than any other game out there. I do love how everyone who loves Blizzard, says everything is a clone of what THEY make...There were hack and Slash games, before Diablo, good or bad makes no difference, there were games before Diablo...There were also MMO's before WoW, and Before its development even began. There are other companies around, there are other games around. Am i excited to see Diablo 3? Sure, but far more excited at the announcement of Sacred 3. Im sure Torchlight is a great game, and for the price i may even give it a go, mythos had potential, but the downfall of FSS who brought us hellgate, which was a great hack n slash game in an mmo percspective, they should have just gone one way or the other with it, not half and half..

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Are you getting paid for each thread you start promoting this game?

Ofcourse not but I see nothing wrong with putting ones opinion on this site like you do and many others. Noone says you have to like the game whatsoever. Oh and yes I have lost faith in alot of mmos these days because they are nothng more than craptastic rehashes of yesterday with a pricetag  on it. Torchlight  creators are the ones who made Diablo great and that does deserve some recognition. Again, if you do not like then game then do not play. It is that simple but for the many who have played Torchlight knows it is a great game with a dev team that a ton of good talent.

• UsedManateeUsedManatee Member Posts: 161

I've been playing Torchlight since release.  It's very well done, and there is a fairly active Steam community chat going on all day and night which - since Steam chat comes up in game - makes for an interesting combination of very definitely 1-player hack and slash and chat.

Incidentally, I just played through D2 two weeks ago for the first time in a long, long time.  It is still a great game.  The "story" of TL is not the focal point, it's really a hack and slash monty haul done right.

Anyway, I won't start any new threads on th is because it isn't really the point.  I think the original assertion that Runic is the new Blizzard is a little bizarre, however I do not deny that Runic took an *obvious* opportunity releasing a solid game at a low pricepoint.  There has been a huge gap in ARPG, and Blizzard being Blizzard sat on D3 long enough to make the ravenous hounds willing to take on just about any release.  Luckily for the hounds, this steak is tasty.  I'm looking forward to seeing the power of the editor, and the modules created by the community.

It is what it is.  If you like the demo, pick it up and support the devs.  They've been hanging out in the Steam chat talking about design decisions and taking note of the very few bugs that have been discovered.

my $.02

How dare you present him with logic! Don't you understand? He fights epic fights, in epic games, with epic toons....eats epic food and takes epic dumps! He has more e..pic..icity...ness in his little finger than you have in your whole unepic body! - ChicagoCub

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by UsedManatee

I've been playing Torchlight since release.  It's very well done, and there is a fairly active Steam community chat going on all day and night which - since Steam chat comes up in game - makes for an interesting combination of very definitely 1-player hack and slash and chat.
    Incidentally, I just played through D2 two weeks ago for the first time in a long, long time.  It is still a great game.  The "story" of TL is not the focal point, it's really a hack and slash monty haul done right.
    Anyway, I won't start any new threads on th is because it isn't really the point.  I think the original assertion that Runic is the new Blizzard is a little bizarre, however I do not deny that Runic took an *obvious* opportunity releasing a solid game at a low pricepoint.  There has been a huge gap in ARPG, and Blizzard being Blizzard sat on D3 long enough to make the ravenous hounds willing to take on just about any release.  Luckily for the hounds, this steak is tasty.  I'm looking forward to seeing the power of the editor, and the modules created by the community.
    It is what it is.  If you like the demo, pick it up and support the devs.  They've been hanging out in the Steam chat talking about design decisions and taking note of the very few bugs that have been discovered.
    my $.02

The story was pretty involving in the demo, you get clear indications of why you're there and what's going on and your character becomes embroiled in everything fairly early so there definitely is a focal story perspective if you want to pay attention to it. You can also hack and slash/blast everything too. It's a good demo, I'll be picking up the game soon most likely.

No other game is worth my 20$ right now.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Sounds exactly like Fate, except for the user created levels. Fate was also modeled off Diablo II, so I guess it's no surprise. But the pet cat/dog, the fishing, the "infinite" (well, okay, there's only 2,147,483,647 levels), and everything else is exactly the same.

On another note, Young Frankenstein (where the OP's avatar comes from) is on AMC as I'm posting this. Weird.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Maybe when they release a demo, no way im paying 19,99 blindly

Originally posted by Comnitus

Sounds exactly like Fate, except for the user created levels. Fate was also modeled off Diablo II, so I guess it's no surprise. But the pet cat/dog, the fishing, the "infinite" (well, okay, there's only 2,147,483,647 levels), and everything else is exactly the same.
    On another note, Young Frankenstein (where the OP's avatar comes from) is on AMC as I'm posting this. Weird.

It's very similar to Fate, for plenty of logical reasons which need not be repeated here.  It's like the formula of Fate (nobody is contending that those are now exactly the same) has been given a much needed polish.

How dare you present him with logic! Don't you understand? He fights epic fights, in epic games, with epic toons....eats epic food and takes epic dumps! He has more e..pic..icity...ness in his little finger than you have in your whole unepic body! - ChicagoCub

Originally posted by tryklon

Your search finger broken? ;)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41510/

There is a demo on steam and it is the 3rd best seller in rpgs.

nice, but im not a steam user. dont know if i feel like installing it =P

thanks anyway

• pepsibottlepepsibottle Member Posts: 95

Yawn, looks bad.

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

thanks anyway

One excuse after another  

Originally posted by wesjr

thanks anyway

One excuse after another  

You really think the game worths a try?

Really, i loved Diablo2 and im waiting for Diablo3. Is this game really worth the time? Cuz if it does i dont mind taking some time to actually test it

• KaylessKayless Member UncommonPosts: 357

Yes it's worth a try and well worth the few measly quid they're charging for it too.

Download the demo, trust me you won't regret it 

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

hmmm-I'm not impressed, but, then again the game is not for everyone-I feel the grind coming on with this game.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

If everybody who created a Diablo clone was the new blizzard, we'd have a lot of blizzards by now.

To call a company behind a small budget game that doesn't even have multiplayer the new Blizzard is silly. 

What made Diablo so memorable was its online multiplayer which this game doesn't have.