Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Experience Tier 1 For Free, Forever!

13»

Comments

• beaker74beaker74 Member Posts: 3

Wow, this is all pretty interesting. My first reaction to the unlimited trial period on Tier 1 was negative, it just seems like a death reflex to me. However, until a few days ago I had not played WAR, but decided to download the trial and give it whirl(as a former WOW player, I suppose I'm looking for some shiny new alternative). I wasn't blown away or anything, the graphics are good, but not mind blowing, and the concept is pretty straight forward, but in the past couple of days I have to admit at enjoying what I've seen so far(more so than LOTR, in which I'm also trying the demo). I'm a big fan and player of the tabletop game of Warhammer and I feel the online implementation was done pretty well. Of course I can't speak for the higher level content as many of you have, and in reading through this thread there does seem to be some definite agreement on the problems of higher level content; however, I would like to point out--and I don't believe anyone else has on this thread--that all popular mmo's have similar open, and long running discussions on the virtues and massive failures of one or more aspects of the game in question, whether it be high level content, instancing, class balancing, or what have you.

I've played several mmo's over the years, from Ultima Online, to Everquest(1 and 2), to AO, Ryzom, all across the board, and this trend of  games going from a subscription model to free to play always strikes me as a red flag and the beginning of the end. Games that start out small, and free are another story, and some of them grow up to become full fledged paying games, some remain free. Free to play games always have a different feel to me, not bad, just different; some of them are the result of a lot of hard work by a few dedicated individuals. That shows and is appreciated. Games with subscription content are, in theory, supposed to represent a level playing field; anyone who's playing can, again in theory, accomplish whatever they want, reach any level they want, obtain any piece of equipment, and so on because everybody's paying the same dollar; everyone can reasonably expect the same relative game play experience. That's what you're paying for. But you take that away and start giving it out for free? To state the obvious, what level, and kind of support or new content can a player expect then?

I've said all that to say this: I feel this is just a way for a company to quietly walk away from a product they are no longer willing to invest resources in because it simply did not add to the bottom line. And that is very disappointing.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by beaker74

I've said all that to say this: I feel this is just a way for a company to quietly walk away from a product they are no longer willing to invest resources in because it simply did not add to the bottom line. And that is very disappointing.

I don't think it is exaggeration to say that there are hundreds of thousands of players who were disappointed by how this game turned out. What a waste.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

well at least now I get why the apprentice system lets you raise your freinds level instead of being able to drop levels to play with your friends, now if you want to play with your higher level freinds, you got to pay.

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

The whole idea is absurd given you can repeatedly create new characters by signing up for the 10 day free trial.  All you need is a new email address.  This works for any game btw with a limited free trial.

Myself and a few co-workers repeatedly did the trial after it was used up for over a month just playing tier 1 and enjoying it.

It will attract more people to the game, worked for DDO.  Only problem is they will probably tune the game to make it more appealing in tier 1 hoping to lure people in to a subscription.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

I must admit, before release this game enticed me, however i was currently busy and held back from buying the game, after a month i read all the feedbacks on teh game, not just here but several places, and all were dissapointed. I then decided to leave it alone for a few mths and then get a proper player feedback report.

Must admit, i am darn glad i did, as it became obvious that the game was a failure, not long later over 50% (think it was more like 70%) of the servers were shut down and current player base's were merged. Now you are having this. Hmm i might go and take a look, but as whats already been mentioned, some people would like item shops introduced, do that and im sure several current players will leave, or it will go the same way as TR did and cease (though that one only lasted 1yr) and i still see it in some computer shops for sale LOL

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

looking for Tier 1 PvP team. I can use vent.

• PatarrPatarr Member Posts: 12

does this mean that my account, already finished with the 10-day trial, will be able to play WAR again soon? It was a fun game, and I'm totally fine with stayin' in T1.

Scoobydeedoopbeeboop!

• jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332

this is great, now i'll not only be able to play the best lvls for free forever, but i'll also not have to worry about getting higher than level 10 where the game starts to get bad.

• SobaSoba Member Posts: 12

Played the game for a few months, but nothing was as fun as Tier 1.  Definitely will keep this on my computer for the occassional fast paced PvP contests.  Now if only they had been able to carry that fun through the rest of the game.

• TDLTowelieTDLTowelie Member Posts: 9

Pheonix Gate from T2 was totally the best SC.

But unlimited T1 would definitely be pretty incredible.

• RondoRondo Member UncommonPosts: 30

Mythic needs to drop WHO and make Daoc 2 already. Daoc 2 is a no brainer!

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

There is now talk that Mythic will move the restiction in lvls abit higher (11 - 15) and that way prevent T1 to be dominated by twinks.  That might be a good move - but at the same time it will still not prevent ppl from rerolling to play T1 - and create Twinks that are fed by gold from T2 trial characters.

• willvaswillvas Member Posts: 137

great now all the whiners will play the game again...

actually dont know what most of you are talking about.. i have played since launch and the changes they have made to the game has changed this game very much.

T4 is where all the population is... if you did trial and found 2 people thats because all the poeple are in T4 not t1... thats why

cant believe people are complaining about content in an advertised PVP game.  whats even funnier is you believe LOTD is the only dungeon they have added...

goes to show you what great lengths whiners will go to

this game has TONS and i do mean tons of dungeons.  including a good one just for T1.

but really who cares about PVE in a PVP game.  that is where this game shines...

if you played daoc then you would know that mythics endgame is RVR... fighting the other faction.. taking keeps.. .in this game same thing... and a city siege...

thats the end game... what did you expect?

hell as advertised... there is no dancing there is no dueling.. .just get out there and fight the enemy realm... this is WAR....

you turds make me laugh...

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by googajoob7
    i went back for the 10 day thing the game felt dead you i saw one person in the game world questing did some scenarios which i had yo wait ages for so i chatted to friends online inbetween . This game does have a lot to offer but its not worth a subscription fee . Item shop is the only way forward with a free to play model . Either do that or close it .

I don't know what server you played on or during what hours... but T1 is NEVER empty on my server... I get senarios as early as 7 in the morning and while I'm not usually up late I'v been in senarios as late as 03.00. and the same thing goes for oRvR, if you run out into the empite T1 rvr-zone you will find somone to fight at almost any hour.

if you hae troube finding people to play with, you can easely type /1 and ask if anyone is interested in joining you. OR hit L and start an Open party that people can join.

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by willvas

actually dont know what most of you are talking about.. i have played since launch and the changes they have made to the game has changed this game very much.
    T4 is where all the population is... if you did trial and found 2 people thats because all the poeple are in T4 not t1... thats why
    cant believe people are complaining about content in an advertised PVP game.  whats even funnier is you believe LOTD is the only dungeon they have added...
    this game has TONS and i do mean tons of dungeons.  including a good one just for T1.
    but really who cares about PVE in a PVP game.  that is where this game shines...
    if you played daoc then you would know that mythics endgame is RVR... fighting the other faction.. taking keeps.. .in this game same thing... and a city siege...
    hell as advertised... there is no dancing there is no dueling.. .just get out there and fight the enemy realm... this is WAR....

If most of players are in tier 4 it means there are few new players...Launch WoW, LOTRO and tell me why starting

towns are not so empty as Warhammers...If most people complain about this game and you call them whiners and

flame them it only means you are jus lol fanboy, who doesn't allow that his favourite game is criticized by anyone...

Go grow up

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

... people just like to bash this game that's all... :)

Originally posted by jawali

LOL awwww did i hurt your pooor feelings... yeah im gonna call you and many here a turd because your complaints about the game are wrong.. NO CONTENT? yeah right.. there is tons... AOE and CC... LOL been addressed... anything else you guys like to complain about...

laggy.. BEEN ADDRESSED... all of them fixed...

yet same whiners complaining same stuff... and all their whines have been fixed.. yet still bashing WAR... so it is you who needs to get the chip off the shoulder and leave the game already alone... dont like it fine.. but stop trashing garbagge about the game you have no clue about.

TURD..

and ill grow up with my comments when you losers stop doing yours

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914
    Originally posted by Frobner

There is now talk that Mythic will move the restiction in lvls abit higher (11 - 15) and that way prevent T1 to be dominated by twinks.  That might be a good move - but at the same time it will still not prevent ppl from rerolling to play T1 - and create Twinks that are fed by gold from T2 trial characters.

That's disappointing to hear.  I was looking forward to having a perpetual T1 battleground.  I hope this rumor is incorrect and the free trial will be capped at T1 and not allow you to go above that.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

I don't suppose that you can hurt anyones feelings, there are always people who will defend even biggest crap..

I don't say Warhammer is crappy game but if many people cancelled subscriptions it means something is wrong, if the starting

towns are empty it means there are few new players. Am I wrong with it?...Your post is just flame...

Originally posted by jawali

I don't suppose that you can hurt anyones feelings, there are always people who will defend even biggest crap..
    I don't say Warhammer is crappy game but if many people cancelled subscriptions it means something is wrong, if the starting
    towns are empty it means there are few new players. Am I wrong with it?...Your post is just flame...

see wrong again... trial is on gorfang and T1 is nonstop there...  so i dont know what you are talking about.. to me its lies what you guys say...

in fact they have mods who hang out in t1 on gorfang.  if you are talking about other servers where your account is sure... it can be dead in pvp area... lots of t4 guys who want a break from pvp go down and start doing t1 over again. but then again... why when t4 is where its at...

and your justification of why so many left is same reasons i hear here.  impatient people who didnt want to wait for fixes... have WOW to thank for bringing in the masses of horrible gamers into the MMO community. 

so far lots have started resubbing to WAR and are having lots of fun.

people claimed they were bored at T4... with a PVP game.. LOL... daoc players saying it too... yet went right back to daoc to do the same thing... PVP...

people expected more then what WAR offered.. thats why.... mythic has given us what they said they were going to give us.. others wanted more...

a poster on here wanted more content... lol i havent even touched the tip of the iceberg on my shaman yet and he is rank 40 renown rank 48

so again.. if you didnt like the game then go leave warhammer alone... but dont go spreading lies about it... you dont know how the game is in its current state.  all you know is that on a non designated trial server that the lower tiers are not very populated...

guess what ace.. thats on gorfang... dont beleive me... LOG IN.

till then you guys dont say anything about a game.. its not the same as it was since launch

• VahidVahid Member UncommonPosts: 55

All this talk of limited T1 free play has made want to give WAR a shot.  When  is this program going to start?

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    and your justification of why so many left is same reasons i hear here.  impatient people who didnt want to wait for fixes... have WOW to thank for bringing in the masses of horrible gamers into the MMO community. 

Just how long are people supposed to wait for a game to get fixed?  

Ok, the game has been out for over a year now and it still is not fixed.  When can we stop blaming players and put the blame on developers who deserve it?  People do not want to mindlessly hand over money on the slim hopes that "the next patch will fix everything".  Those days are dead and in my opinion could not happen fast enough.  

Why people still defend developers for not doing their job is beyond me.  If mythic wanted the 2-3 million subscribers they were expecting, then they should have tested their game a lot more.  They should have resolved the massive issues the game had.  The mentality that a company can push any piece of shit to market and people will not only buy it, but fund the final stages of development are over.  There is no longer a need to wait for a game to MAYBE get good or MAYBE fix massive issues.  Most of which people are smart enough to see they cannot be fixed without a massive overhaul. 

Warhammer wasn't a game with a few bugs that needed fixing, it was poorly designed and poorly executed on many levels.  It is not the responsibility of players to pay for the privilege of waiting.  In fact you are displaying the exact mentality that allows companies to get away with this shit and harm the genre. 

You have no one to blame but mythic.  It is their fault the game crashed and burned, not some other segment of "bad gamers".  Over a million people gave it a chance, many have given it multiple chances.  The results are directly related to the efforts of the developers.