Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Friday Update: Jedi Knight Unveiled!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

As we reported earlier this week, we kind of knew this one was coming. But while this news may not be surprising for many of us, the Jedi Knight has been officially revealed today as this week's Friday Update. The Jedi Knight reads as kind of the counterpart of the Sith Warrior, as both classes seem to have a melee (lightsaber) bent.

The Jedi Knight is described below:

Valiant, Determined, Guardian of Peace

A symbol of hope in dark times, the Jedi Knight stands for the legacy of the Jedi Order—more than twenty-thousand years of protecting the Republic and keeping the peace across the galaxy. Though Jedi Knights have served as generals, guerilla fighters, and warriors for generations, their legendary combat prowess faces its greatest test during this age.

Through years of disciplined training and meditation, the Jedi Knight hones body and mind into perfect harmony. Combining the foresight of the Force with unrivaled reflexes and practiced physical precision, the Knight turns combat into an art form, gracefully executing acrobatic feats in tandem with elegant lightsaber tactics.

A source of inspiration to allies and intimidation to adversaries, the Jedi Knight’s presence is welcome in any confrontation. The Order’s long history of fighting for justice has earned the trust of countless friends and the hate of innumerable enemies. Few, though, are foolish enough to challenge a seasoned Jedi Knight unless they have the skills and technology to even the odds.

Facing the Dark Side

The Jedi’s dark counterparts scored many victories during the war, expanding their Empire, and putting the Republic on the defensive. Since the Treaty of Coruscant, the Sith have consolidated their military might, even while the Jedi have withdrawn to Tython, a move that’s been looked at with suspicion by many of the Republic’s politicians. Nonetheless, the war is far from over, and the Jedi Knight’s resolve remains firm. With unwavering allegiance to the Republic and the light side of the Force, the Jedi Knight fights with valiant determination, wading into the thick of any battle to protect freedom and democracy and hold fast against those who oppose it.

No matter how dire circumstances may become, the Jedi Knight trusts the Force and keeps a cool head. Knowledge and self-control are the critical components of wise decisions, and emotional and mental clarity are an absolute necessity. Maintaining focus allows the Knight to rely on intuition; a right mind leads to right action.

For many, the Jedi Knight is the guardian of a precious dream; a dream of peace, a dream of justice, a dream of a brighter future. The fate of the galaxy depends upon the Knight’s ability to keep this dream alive.

Details on the class have previously been scant, but he has been observed in a number of gameplay videos to date, so the class or its look won't come as a total surprise. Well, except for the concept art for the "ornate armor", which honestly has way too many buckles. The reveal does come with four new screenshots and pieces of concept art, as well as the three special ability clips, so check them out in the official Jedi Knight HoloNet entry.

Alternatively, you can view the new screenshots and concept art in our Star Wars: The Old Republic gallery.

UPDATE: A new interview revealing some additional details about the Jedi Knight class has been published over at GameSpot. The interview reveals that the class drew heavy inspiration from the character Mace Windu, and that would be similar in functionality to the Jedi Guardian of Knights of the Old Republic.

The Jedi Knight will also have access to team buffs and auras, and it was also hinted at that he would be able to fulfilll a tanking role, as it was revealed he will be able to manipulate aggro (Mind Trick, anyone?!).

Read the full interview here.

Thanks to user greed0104 for the tip!

Comments

• somonekilwowsomonekilwow Member UncommonPosts: 96

I think the whole mmo population, saw this coming. Well hey, at least their one class closer to releasing them all.

<iframe src="http://www.wowarmory.com/character-model-embed.xml?r=Malorne&cn=Ashkin&rhtml=true"; scrolling="no" height="588" width="321" frameborder="0"></iframe>

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

pff, i posted this earlier than you ! :P

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

Cool, I am not going to play any other MMO besides WoW until this is released.... Because frankly everything else has dissapointed me.

Uhh... what?

• sadeisinsanesadeisinsane Member Posts: 58

Now if only they would tell us when the game is due to come out and/or throw some beta invites our way, that would be nice too!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

You won't see Beta until late next year at the earliest, they are still fleshing out the game.  Release won't be until sometime in 2011.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

You won't see Beta until late next year at the earliest, they are still fleshing out the game.  Release won't be until sometime in 2011.

Many people seem to disagree with you, the general census is a release by Xmas of 2010.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by mrroboto40

Many people seem to disagree with you, the general census is a release by Xmas of 2010.

And if you have followed the countless mmos with tentative release dates...you know all of them have been wrong. And this one doesn't even have one yet =)

• nekollxnekollx Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by Zarynterk

Originally posted by mrroboto40

And if you have followed the countless mmos with tentative release dates...you know all of them have been wrong. And this one doesn't even have one yet =)

Clearly it's the Sith's fault.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Id have to agree with a 2011 release, with HOPEs of a 2010 one.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Jedi in SWTOR....no way

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

I'm glad this forum has an expert psychic.

Norly.  You don't know shit about the game, stop posting.  Every word you type makes me hit my head on my desk.

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

/nerdrage on

or

/nerdgasm on

Star Wars fans provide countless hours of entertainment.

How about we all just wait for the game to release before we comment any further.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Originally posted by Oyjord

/nerdrage on

or

/nerdgasm on

Star Wars fans provide countless hours of entertainment.

How about we all just wait for the game to release before we comment any further.

Wait a minute.. logic.. LOL  I agree.. :)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Death1942

Jedi in SWTOR....no way

Hehe, my thought. Jedi! NFW! XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• PersephassaPersephassa Member Posts: 223

If it released by xmas of 2010 it would probably be  the quickest release of any MMO seeing as we've only known of the game's existence for little over a year now. It's nothing more than wishful thinking to expect it to release so soon when the simple fact is SWTOR is a major undertaking compared to most MMOs; so expect a long wait and a polished, finished game at release.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

The boomersaber was sweet.

Clarification: when the Jedi threw his freaking lightsaber, cut a droid in half, and caught it as it came back to him.

Also, a "Mind Trick" taunt would be the only one that actually makes sense. Using Jedi Mind Tricks to say "You want to attack me, not my squishy healer friend!" is clearly more plausible than taunting a giant dragon by calling him the fat son of a motherless ogre.

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

awesome now what know what class 90% of the population will play.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

I didn't know jedi's had ninja powers :P Silly hand signs.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• j9ncalifj9ncalif Member UncommonPosts: 37

hehe, Jedi Knights will be able to employ mind games, taunts, juggling tricks, ability to take damage as a meat shield, and wear shiny impressive armors while their dark counter parts are able to stun, fear, use telekinesis powers, leap from tall buildings, leech jedis life forces adding to their own and to simply put....liquidate your brain in one thought.  I wonder which side I'm going to play hehe.

• ZapphodZapphod Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

awesome now what know what class 90% of the population will play.

That is easy 90% of the population will play which ever class is most powerful, attach any flowery prose you like to it but that is how it will turn out.

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

In SWG not everyone played Jedi.  Many people were content to play the non combat professions.  My friend played a frikkin tailor and she was happy to just make clothes all day.  That was until they removed them from the game.

As someone else said if they make one class more powerful then the rest yeah everyone will be playing that class until it gets nerfed.