Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we make SoE sell Vanguard?

Comments

• UwayUway Member Posts: 58

Vanguard was suppose to expand the genre forward beyond WoW and EQ2. Then people started to say it was suppose to be the true follow up to the original EQ. That came to be only after Sony bought it up. Sony figured out that the cost to develop the game's features exceeded the costs they were willing to invest. The game was not even close to being what is was meant to be when Sony bought it. Sony didn't have to buy the game and flood money into the project like they did. Even though it was a business decision brought about to keep subscribers with them. The game should have died in the development stages. Sony fell for the hype only because their player base were so adamant about Vanguard being their next game. I know I was one of the fools who were playing EQ2 and proclaiming Vanguard to be next generation.

In closing, Vanguard these days, is one of a groups of games SoE uses to appeal people to buy access to its station services. By the time they are willing to part with it, it will be even more irrelevant than it is now.

Rise above hate.

Ignore fan boys.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Warjin

I'ts a shame a game with this much to offer is being held back by lack of funds, from what I read if this game had the right team can do some damage to compitition.
    2 years ago no,even if fixed all the bugs in 1 week and had the best team it still would of failed, Why well because the system specs where 2 high for It's time, I would say maybe 10/15% could handle the specs 2 years ago.
    Hell man the time is now with Vanguard,the system specs fill a larger base nowdays and with all the WoW burnouts and soon to follow Aion, Vanguard could and should take the jump, But they lack funds, so I wonder what we could do to help, any thoughts?
    I would love for SoE to sell Vanguard to someone who will take better care of it, kind of sad really, Man if there where a Children and Youth for Mmos SoE would be in jail thats for sure lol.

You know, I often thought that if they sold Vanguard to a inspired and willing team that someone could make something out of it.

I love the world and often marvel out how it feels like a world. Oh, I know that some people will lament the fact that one can travel for a bit and not see anything (paraphrased from those who lament the fact that they can travel for a bit and not see anything) but to me this is what a world is.

If anyone has ever driven through the center of the U.S. or even the extreme northern route one will realize that though their road atlas says that a state has x amount of thousands of people it is not always apparent that it's true.

What I like about Vanguard is that stuff happens where stuff needs to happen. Not every freakin' square foot has a mob on it waiting to be killed. I can travel and enjoy the vistas only to see a band of traveling humanoid monster thingies on the road that apparently I should avoid at lower levels.

Oh, Vanguard is definitely populated by mobs waiting to be killed but in many cases it seems natural that they should be there.And if one really travels the world, it's pretty interesting. I realize that Brad McQuaid has lamented the size of Vanguard's world but in my opinion he shouldn't. They did an amazing job.

For a player who enjoys traveling and finding things, Vanguard is a great game. For a player who requires (no judgment value on this, take it for the statement it is) to be able to log in, immediatley find a group and engage themselves in ever increasing content and updates, they are going to be dissapointed.

I'm not sure by the way that this is a bad thing. Oh, in the long term health of Vanguard it might be bad but think on this: how many games have you played and loved only to have the game ruined by year over year added content?

I played Lineage 2 for over 4 years and by the end I really wasn't thrilled by the (my opinion) half assed added content that didn't seem to make any sense. I enjoyed the mines of moria in the  "Mines of Moria" expansion but I can't help feel that it took LOTRO into a space that I wasn't all together thrilled about.

So the good thing about Vanguard is that it is sort of stuck in time. Becuase, let's face it, anybody who is interested in purchasing it (or if Sony suddenly had a change of heart and decided to actively develope it) might just add things that people hated. heck, I already see posts by VAnguard purists who really hate the changes wrought to the game since it's initial launch.

And it's a tough balancing act developing an mmo. Add too many new features and it could disenfranchise the rest of the game's players. Add too much raid content (for instance) and you find people lamenting that fact that the game was always about the journey and less about "loot" from raids. Keep adding the same type of content and players might rail against "same old same old".

But all I know is that I never get tired going into that giant spider nest that is close to one of the lower level player starting areas. Not only are the spiders scary but the "boss" spiders are creepy as all heck. And depending on class you can explore and take on these things. Provided you don't get too much aggro.

All in all it's a joy to log into this game and get my exploration fix.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • roamieroamie Member Posts: 115

Sry if I am off the topic but can anybody explain the Serverlags ? Is it Server or Engine related ?  Damn it - Jayce Hall just did not ask the right questions.  

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112
    Originally posted by roamie

Sry if I am off the topic but can anybody explain the Serverlags ? Is it Server or Engine related ?  Damn it - Jayce Hall just did not ask the right questions.  

There is a little green bar to the right side of your xp bar. You can check your connection status there while playing. I personally never experience connection lag while playing but i have heard people complain a lot on the euro server.

As for the stuttering in the game if that is what you refer to. That is your PC not being able to handle VG's engine properly. You should look for a vgclient.ini tweak on the official forums as well as make adjustments to your settings. Also take note that people using Vista has had a lot of issued with lag as well. Upgrading to Windows 7 should solve that. If you have a good PC, enough ram, running anything but Vista you should look into getting one of those SSD drives or whatever those are called as i hear it gives good performance gains with the game

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Warjin

I'ts a shame a game with this much to offer is being held back by lack of funds, from what I read if this game had the right team can do some damage to compitition.
    2 years ago no,even if fixed all the bugs in 1 week and had the best team it still would of failed, Why well because the system specs where 2 high for It's time, I would say maybe 10/15% could handle the specs 2 years ago.
    Hell man the time is now with Vanguard,the system specs fill a larger base nowdays and with all the WoW burnouts and soon to follow Aion, Vanguard could and should take the jump, But they lack funds, so I wonder what we could do to help, any thoughts?
    I would love for SoE to sell Vanguard to someone who will take better care of it, kind of sad really, Man if there where a Children and Youth for Mmos SoE would be in jail thats for sure lol.

I agree 100%.  Vanguard is an amazing game with a lot to offer.  It's *fun*.  Now that our computers are able to handle more and more, especially.  Vanguard, with all settings on high, is an amazing looking game.  I love the crafting system.. Diplomacy is actually fun..

Anytime someone brings up VG I wonder why I'm not playing it..  dang you.  *shakes fist*

Acidon

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Meh, it's easy. Just offer them a lot of money for the game. Heck they might even sell it for not so much money just make them an offer. Oh wait, spending money to buy a game that has a very small core of dedicated gamers and is likely to lose any company quite a bit of money in running costs plus require them to spend a lot more money to continue development and re-launch the product. Should be easy.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Thillian
    Well that was the point why they bought it. So noone else could get it, improve it and compete to their precious Everquest franchise (with which is in direct competition).

No they got it because Brad Mcquid sold it to them in order to cash out from this flop.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

dbl post

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• xamenxamen Member UncommonPosts: 13

regardless of soe's intentions, i know two things:

1) vanguard was my first mmo, and it got me hooked on the genre. i love the world, the classes, the vastness of it. i have invested a lot of time into it, and i will continue to do so until soe finally pulls the plug.

2) after the plug is pulled, it will take a miracle to get me to play another soe game again.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

I will steal the game from them. Fix it,the graphics,quests,classes everything and then release it. i love VG, but SoE wont work on it, fucking idiots hope they burn in hell. Cant believe they did that to vanguard..disgusting.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Sweeties

I will steal the game from them. Fix it,the graphics,quests,classes everything and then release it. i love VG, but SoE wont work on it, fucking idiots hope they burn in hell. Cant believe they did that to vanguard..disgusting.

I'm with you Sweetzoid, I'd like to poke- um in the eye with a stick

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by M1sf1t

Originally posted by Thillian

Well that was the point why they bought it. So noone else could get it, improve it and compete to their precious Everquest franchise (with which is in direct competition).

No they got it because Brad Mcquid sold it to them in order to cash out from this flop.

You have described why Brad wanted to sell the game and I think that is accurate, but not why SOE wanted to BUY the game.

I am sure every business owner would like to sell their failures, but why would a company invest in a failed project and not take measures to make sure they same failure did not repeat itself?   What purpose did their investment serve and further buying the game?  It isn't like soe made a real effort to make the game comnpetitive as a producer or a developer.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Where would it be if SOE hadnt bought it? If the only reason for purchase was to buy up the EQ2 competition then why not just shut it down which is what would have happened without SOE. So for those who play and like the game i guess SOE isnt the devil but then to some SOE will always be the devil no matter what they do.

• spydermr2spydermr2 Member Posts: 336

Would that they would work up an expansion and actually market the heck out of Vanguard.  I've done what so many have done before:  played UO, AC, EQ, EQ2, WoW, Shadowbane, and on and on.   Vanguard, with its diplomacy sphere (which is absolutely amazing) and it's attention-to-atmospherics, is the best game I've played since the first generation of non-MUDs (AC, UO).  Come on, SOE, advertise this game, it's more than worth it!

Why would soe shut vanguard down when they can make some revenue from it?  Shutting down the game for no reason would be stupid and needlessly throwing money away.  Why would you even make that rediculous argument?

Also, by not shutting it down they get to play life guard and give the impression that they "saved" vanguard from closure and soe is in desperate need of positive image.  Then some people will look at soe spending money to repeat the same exact mistake microsoft made as an act of salvation.  Shutting down the game would eliminate any good press that soe built by partnering with sigil and further increased their bad image as a destroyer of games.   Did you actually think through your comments before typing them out?

There are plenty of other reasons, but you will not understand them as you seem preoccupied with trying to prove some other point.

I think what soe has down with vanguard is a shame and it was certainly intentional, but I am not so blind to see that it was a very smart business move for the life of the everquest series.  McQuaid was an idiot for getting involved with soe a second time, but it is his own fault for running the business into the ground and getting burned twice.

• spydermr2spydermr2 Member Posts: 336

Well, it may be controversial, but I'll say this:  Vanguard, to me, is a far more worthwhile game than EQ (at this point).  Sony should push them both, but in terms of depth, the amazing diplomacy sphere, phenomenal crafting (I'm staring at you, EQ2, for being overly and ridiculously complicated, and in real-time, no less), great music, unique atmospheres (start with the viking longhouses, or the Orcs escaping from slavery on a crashed boat, or on and on -- all unique, flavorful, and extraordinary).  I still haven't decided if Vanguard replaces AC at the top of my list, but it's at the very least a strong competitor (and quite possibly the eventual winner).

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435

Are all of you on crack?? Brad the idiot couldnt get a single person to touch his product, its been said by peopel on the game brad was hardly even there at the office helping with the game, he was trying to get the badly needed funds the game needed, without Soe this game would be vaporware, you wouldnt even be arguing because it would never have got released.  Soe gave Brad the option out and he chose that option.  So dont sit here and say Soe is the bad guys, because no they are not.   

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662
    Originally posted by Demz2

Are all of you on crack?? Brad the idiot couldnt get a single person to touch his product, its been said by peopel on the game brad was hardly even there at the office helping with the game, he was trying to get the badly needed funds the game needed, without Soe this game would be vaporware, you wouldnt even be arguing because it would never have got released.  Soe gave Brad the option out and he chose that option.  So dont sit here and say Soe is the bad guys, because no they are not.   

I don't think the OP's original statement is saying that at all, he/she just feels that SOE are deliberately holding VG back in terms of development.  And he'd be right.  But SOE are doing that for a reason.

SOE bought VG for one reason:  "Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer".

They bought it to control the development of that product, in order to ensure that their main products are affected in the least possible way.  They only keep it going because it gives them extra money that they wouldn't get if they shut it down. 

From a perspective of whats required to keep it running, it's already running off existing SOE servers (probably old servers that used to be in other SOE games) and with a skeleton staff to do tweaks and bug fixes plus whaterver else they can manage fit in. 

Lastly, as someone pointed out, whilst VG is still alive then SOE are seen as the saviours of the game.  The moment they kill it, then that's another argument against them.

Because of these reasons, I don't believe that SOE would ever sell it.  To sell it would mean a true competitor could be resurrected and SOE would be seen in a worse light than it does now.  And they don't want that.

The only one who said Brad was out looking for funding was Brad.  Who knows what he was actually doing.  I think Brad ran back to SOE, because he has connections there and Smed was the only person willing to be "hands off" on the project.  Anyone else who would have invested in VG prior to its release would only have do so with a huge list of conditions to make sure that the sigil team did not continue running the game into the ground.  It is pretty obvious why Brad would take the offer from SOE.  More funding with zero oversight?  What kind of company makes that type of investment in a project that has already failed? 

Soe isn't the bad guy for putting vanguard in the position it was.  Brad created the situation and soe was presented with a golden opportunity to clip the wings of a game that was going to pillage the populations of their primary money makers if it had a decent release. 

However soe isn't a good guy for "saving" vanguard, because they never put any real effort into saving the game.  The very first action soe took was to remove the best programmers from the sigil/vanguard team and move them to another soe project. 

The end result is that it was in soe's best interest to not have a successful release of vanguard. 

• NeopsychNeopsych Member UncommonPosts: 324

Damn Gamers seem to have shorter memories these days.

VG would not even exist today if SOE had not bailed it out but I guess any credit that was due them, especially for those that got to keep their jobs, is long past its sel;l by date?

If SOE drops VG who on earth would pick it up? Who would want to buy a non-established I.P. with no additional merchandise revenue coming in and in an industry where the first couple of months normally decide the long term appeal of a new game (or not). The best VG players can hope for is that SOE keep spending server space on this game because no one else is going to.

This whole SOE is evil stuff is boring and shows how shallow some people are.

To err is human....to play is divine

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Why the fuck did they do that. they should be ashamed.

ill buy vanguard for 12million dollars.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by Neopsych

VG would not even exist today if SOE had not bailed it out but I guess any credit that was due them, especially for those that got to keep their jobs, is long past its sel;l by date?
    If SOE drops VG who on earth would pick it up? Who would want to buy a non-established I.P. with no additional merchandise revenue coming in and in an industry where the first couple of months normally decide the long term appeal of a new game (or not). The best VG players can hope for is that SOE keep spending server space on this game because no one else is going to.

+1 and this is comming from an ALPHA tester who played the game till 6 months later then came back again for a short stint a year later. VG was DoA until SoE gave Sigil funding. So stop acting like SoE is the bad guy , this game would have never launched if it wasn't for SoE. 

Originally posted by strykr619

Originally posted by Neopsych

+1 and this is comming from an ALPHA tester who played the game till 6 months later then came back again for a short stint a year later. VG was DoA until SoE gave Sigil funding. So stop acting like SoE is the bad guy , this game would have never launched if it wasn't for SoE. 

Vanguard wasn't much better than DOA on its release if you really want to split hairs.  No one was done any favors by the condition vanguard was in when it was pushed out the door.  

What exactly was vanguard saved from?  A swift death that would have been a minor story for a month.  Instead it has lingered long past any healthy semblance of an mmo and remains a constant reminder to any developer wanting to add a little sandbox to the theme park that they might end up like this nightmare.

If the company that "saved" vanguard from becoming vaproware was not willing to correct the problems that afflicted the project for the previous 4 years then it should have died in development.  Handing a pile of money to a mismanaged project without correcting the problems only guarentees it will continue to fail.  Time and money were not the issues behind the failure of vanguard. 

Does it make any sense for soe to spend money on a project that already failed and take no corrective measures to make sure it didn't continue spiraling down the toilet?  Would anyone posting here think that was a wise investment with their money? 

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

What the heck are you guys talking about? I read here on this very site how Vanguard was going to "kill" World of Warcraft! You mean it didn't happen? I said it wouldn't, but many people said it would. I said SOE would help ruin the game, you mean they didn't?

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112
    Originally posted by sebbonx

I said SOE would help ruin the game, you mean they didn't?

Considering it was already ruined prior to SoE taking over Vanguard i would say that's a clear NO