Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Interview with Lee Hammock @ GameX

DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Lee Hammock recently did a short 10 minute interview video and answered some questions...

http://www.viddler.com/explore/massively/videos/70/

Watch and discuss. 8)

-------------------------
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

Comments

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Wow so much crammed into 10+ minutes, where to start!

That was nice that Lee Hammock took the time to compliment  the dedicated player base of Fallen Earth. I also see metaphorically  MMORPG.COM was mentioned in this intverview (the huge thread about why FE got a 6.9 and why it was pulled off the site).

sidenote.. You see WWW.MMORPG.COM - what kind of attention you brought to the table, even LH knew about your review due to the playerbase of FE.

Also he touched on how players perceive FE with Theme Park elements and how it has Sandbox Elements (another huge debate that has been going on about Fallen Earth being a Hybrid of a MMO). Some argue its a full blown Themepark, I am still sticking to my word and sayings FE is a Hybrid, its got the best elements from both mmo types.

To press on..

I was wondering also about the Social Environment that FE has to offer, I wrote to LIFENET lagwar.com/fallenearth/ on my ideas and why we don't have enough of it in game (looks like LH, took the time to go into as well) and I have wrote my suggestions to Icarus already.

Construction was confirmed also in this video and also player merchants of a sort.. Sector 5! and also where their taking this FE storyline.. SIMPLY WOW!

Great job Darkholme finding this video and I thought I was on top of things when it came to FE.

It looks like if your a FE player,  we got a lot of things coming are way. And LH is definitely right about one thing, the community in this game are very dedicated and loyal. But I still believe it works on both ends, if  FE treats the player base right, we will give the all the support they want.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Who run Bartertown?

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956
    Originally posted by Darkholme

Who run Bartertown?

would be awsome cant wait for two men enter one man leave

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

Nice interview. Seems like they have been listening well to the community.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

It was maybe 10 min long but dude can talk fast jeeez.

I see now why shit gets fixed so fast in this game lol, this guy is as efficent as it gets, he doesnt waste time now does he.

I liked everything I heard in this interview and Lee looks kinda cool with that silly beard heh.

Ultra nerd with a beard, what's next?

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

First things first: Awesome find Darkholme.

Now, that interview made me even more..."proud"...to be playing this game and being a part of the FE community.

On Lee Hammock:

I was very impressed to hear his thoughts on the Loot Drop based system versus a Player Crafting based one. I do agree with his view that the Loot Drop mechanic is less empowering than a player crafting one because the player has even less control over how they outfit themselves. The Player Crafting focused system allows players to either make the best gear for themselves, or relatively quickly identify those that can make it and make arrangements to acquire it. With the Loot Drop focused system you have to either wait for lady luck to plant that piece of gear on a mob you kill or, in the case of raiding, deal with the intricasises of being apart of a large group in which multiple people may want the item you desire. There you have to hope you win the roll, hope you have enough DKP or sign up to run the raid again and again to help those others get their piece after you get yours (assuming you are an honorable type person).

Additionally, and going toward another debate on this forum, Lee settles, in my mind, the question of whether FE is a sandbox or Themepark: It's both. Yes, it's a Hybrid, which I and others have been saying as well. I'd have to differ to the guys who actually make the game to identify what it is. I hope this idea continues to be at the forefront of their thinking and that we see more and more sandbox elements make their way into FE and that the sandbox viewpoint is thoroughly exhausted when making decisions on how to implement them.

On the game:

Oh buddy. My gaming nerdom smiled a happy smile at some of the things that Lee mentioned are planned for the future. a few things that jumped out at me are:

1) Money Risking Activities: I'm thinking that this is going to be some variation of Vegas style gambling. Poker, Blackjack, Craps and maybe even a few slot machines. I'm a Texas Hold'em nut so I'd love to see something like this added.

2) Campgrounds / Tents: My buddy had a Ranger in SWG and oh my how I loved when he'd plop down a massive tent area where we could rest and recoup. It sounds like this is kind of what they have in mind here. Mailboxes, Vaults and a merchant? Very nice. I must say, though, that I do hope the merchant only carries the rudimentary items one may need. I wouldn't want to see advanced merchants out there.

3) Construction Tradeskill: This has me the most interested as it sent my mind into overdrive. I know that it ties into the camps mention above. I hope that it also opens a door for player crafted homes and shops, as well as other buildings that could be used in other facets of the game, such as PvP and maybe even town building as later Sectors are released.

All in all, I was very happy to watch this interview and it reaffirms my thoughts that the guys/gals over at Icarus/FallenEarth LLC are maintaining a down-to-earth approach and continuing along the same idea path that they have shown since Alpha. Kudos to them!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Is it weird that a game about the end of the world gives me such a warm, fuzzy feeling of joy and happiness? 8)

Member Since March 2004

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Great post, and great interview!  Very interested to see what they do with the gambling aspect... I think that would be an awesome way to unwind and just hang out with people.

Camps and buildings created with construction seem to be only temporary from what he's saying, but I wonder if they give certain buffs or anything extra for those that put it in a PvP zone, or if theres a way to prolong the length of time the buildings stay.  

Really happy to see they have so much planned for the game.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Darkholme

Who run Bartertown?

OK, as I won't let that go without the proper answer:

Master Blaster runs Bartertown!

Bartertown and the Thunderdome were quite cool... Too bad about the rest of the movie, though :)

• solusbelatorsolusbelator Member Posts: 102
    Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

And LH is definitely right about one thing, the community in this game are very dedicated and loyal. But I still believe it works on both ends, if  FE treats the player base right, we will give the all the support they want.

Great statement just had to quote it.

Awesome interview. You can see his excitement and enthusiasm for the game. It's infectious. Sounds like even more fun stuff coming soon. Looking forward to camps, that brings back fond memories of my Ranger days :)

I've not been this excited over a game in far to long.

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

I do what I want.  I craft every single Item my character uses.  I am riding a mount I made myself, wearing armor i made myself wielding weapons i made myself.

I choose which missions to do.  I choose which direction to go.

I love this game.  You do exactly what you want, in the order that you want in the way that you want.

And your character is just as kewl.  You choose what skills, at what level, at what pace.  It's just awesome.

So many companies could learn from Icarus.  They have a couple of bumps in the road.  Everything else was done right.  And they are fixing the bumps!!

Great game, great company.  They have my subscription fees and loyalty.

And from that interview, it's just going to get better :)

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

Good video.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

•  

Another very nice thread to read. Way to go Icarus.