Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will I like this game as old EQ1 fan?

kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Only thing that cast me away from EQ1 was the fact I was just about only true noob left in the game year ago, while I loved every other aspect of the game. How well does this game par with EQ1?

Comments

• GindolmerGindolmer Member Posts: 94
    People are complaining that its too similar to EQ1... so I think you're probably in good shape.

_______
    Signaturen-Creator

System: AMD Athlon 64 3200+, ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256Mb @ 445/405, 1gb Corsair pc3200 RAM, 80gb 7200rpm HD, Liquid cooling.

• SamuraiEtoSamuraiEto Member Posts: 50
    To me, it's absolutely nothing at all like EQ1. About the only similarity is the names of the races and places. SOE has said it's a new game from the ground up, and many people have said it's either nothing like EQ1 or it's missing something that they liked in EQ1. I say if you liked EQ1, then go play EQ1. There's plenty of people loyal to EQ1 if you get on the right server. For me personally, I love EQ2 and EQ1 never really captured me. EQ2 has quickly become my favorite rpg even in it's beta state. Also from my experience, people just don't enjoy it as much if they go into it with all these comparisons to EQ1. My advice is go into it without expectations or assumptions, and it'll impress you.

• MorydinMorydin Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Gindolmer
    People are complaining that its too similar to EQ1... so I think you're probably in good shape.

I haven't heard that... in fact everything I have heard says that it is nothing like EQ1. The only thing close to people saying that is some people complain that it take place within the same story line... but if you read the lore the entire world has progressed in such a way that it is in fact completely different.

• BboyBboy Member Posts: 20

Yea i havnt heard that either. And i dont think eq2 sounds anything like eq1. My cousins in beta and he says its a totally different experience. So im freckin excited and ill be there at 12pm to grab it LOL::::01::

------------------------------------------
    "Say Hello to My lil' Friend!" scarface

yea they may not be complaining so much about its similarities now, but back long before the NDA was lifted, that was a lot of people's main worry...

_______
    Signaturen-Creator

System: AMD Athlon 64 3200+, ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256Mb @ 445/405, 1gb Corsair pc3200 RAM, 80gb 7200rpm HD, Liquid cooling.

• SanvenSanven Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Bboy
    Yea i havnt heard that either. And i dont think eq2 sounds anything like eq1. My cousins in beta and he says its a totally different experience. So im freckin excited and ill be there at 12pm to grab it LOL::::01::------------------------------------------

I'm a current EQ2 beta tester as well as a former long time EQ1 player and I must concur with the above quote when he says "totally different experience". EQ2 is boring, uninspired, and was one of the least fun and entertaining computer games i've played in a very long time. But what it all boils down to is you can't take my word for it nor can you take anyone elses. You need to try it and make up your own mind.

Originally posted by Sanven

Originally posted by Bboy
    Yea i havnt heard that either. And i dont think eq2 sounds anything like eq1. My cousins in beta and he says its a totally different experience. So im freckin excited and ill be there at 12pm to grab it LOL::::01::

I'm a current EQ2 beta tester as well as a former long time EQ1 player and I must concur with the above quote when he says "totally different experience". EQ2 is boring, uninspired, and was one of the least fun and entertaining computer games i've played in a very long time. But what it all boils down to is you can't take my word for it nor can you take anyone elses. You need to try it and make up your own mind.

Wow... if people would only realize that, there would be probably half the number of posts on this forum as there are now.

_______
    Signaturen-Creator

• sparkatbsparkatb Member UncommonPosts: 175

Thing is with EQ2 beta, they are rapidly adding more and more stuff into it, just check on the EQ2 main website and it tells you everything, im a beta tester and its all correct what SoE has been telling the community, everything keeps rapidly changing better and better.

Been in beta for approx 2 months now, atm the servers are under stressing mode, now without typing a book out all i'll say is that the game has been taking shift very rapidly, thinking back to what it was like 2 months ago. Some of EQ2's features in the beta atm are nothing at all like what they were 2 months ago, tbh everything seemed like a mish mash between spells and abilities, but now they seem more meeningful, distinctful.

Half of these forum reviewers are from people that have been on the newbie island for a day or few, or have got killed the instant they leave 1 of the 2 cities and then complain that it sucks, not solo friendly, its too predictive, too easy. They give their review, and then some time later you hear SoE has added more stuff, tweaked a few things, sorted. You come to this forum and they just LOVE slashing anything SoE releases, so let them carry on thinking and ummming which MMO is the best and which one they think will come out on top, they are going to get really bored one day when they just cant find the right MMO.

As it is, every website reviewest (as far as i know) has said how EQ2 is great, with some of them saying how certain features are lacking/crap, but then i guess there must be a great game that doesnt suck in any possible way eh? Hail the MMO basher hoe's.

• SanvenSanven Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by sparkatb

Half of these forum reviewers are from people that have been on the newbie island for a day or few, or have got killed the instant they leave 1 of the 2 cities and then complain that it sucks, not solo friendly, its too predictive, too easy. They give their review, and then some time later you hear SoE has added more stuff, tweaked a few things, sorted. You come to this forum and they just LOVE slashing anything SoE releases, so let them carry on thinking and ummming which MMO is the best and which one they think will come out on top, they are going to get really bored one day when they just cant find the right MMO.

Wow, we couldn't possibly not like the game because it isn't any fun. We hate it because there is a big forum conspiracy against SoE (shhhh! don't tell anyone!).

As it is, every website reviewest (as far as i know) has said how EQ2 is great, with some of them saying how certain features are lacking/crap, but then i guess there must be a great game that doesnt suck in any possible way eh? Hail the MMO basher hoe's.

Are you serious? Since every website reviewer says EQ2 is great then it must be! What were we all thinking! How could we dare second guess the almighty website reviewers?

• MorydinMorydin Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Sanven

Originally posted by sparkatb

Half of these forum reviewers are from people that have been on the newbie island for a day or few, or have got killed the instant they leave 1 of the 2 cities and then complain that it sucks, not solo friendly, its too predictive, too easy. They give their review, and then some time later you hear SoE has added more stuff, tweaked a few things, sorted. You come to this forum and they just LOVE slashing anything SoE releases, so let them carry on thinking and ummming which MMO is the best and which one they think will come out on top, they are going to get really bored one day when they just cant find the right MMO.

Wow, we couldn't possibly not like the game because it isn't any fun. We hate it because there is a big forum conspiracy against SoE (shhhh! don't tell anyone!).

Well the problem with believing people about things like this is that generally the people that will post the most about games are the ones that for one reason or another got turned off of it. I would bet that for everyone one of you that didn't like it there are 20 people happily playing the beta and enjoying every second of it. One game isn't going to please everyone.

• DrfeelgoodDrfeelgood Member Posts: 19
    "Will I like this game as old EQ1 fan?"

If you like to pay for an unfinished product next week , you might love it

SOE add/remove spells and abilities to all classes 2weeks before release and guess who is going to test class balance issues ? image

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think while WoW beta have been on for 1 year, EQ2 beta begun in July and guess which game is going live first ?

• KunarickKunarick Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Drfeelgood

SOE add/remove spells and abilities to all classes 2weeks before release and guess who is going to test class balance issues ? image

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think while WoW beta have been on for 1 year, EQ2 beta begun in July and guess which game is going live first ?

oh, gratz on your second post image

-----------------------------

-----------------------------
    "You sir, are a moron"

• SiolenasSiolenas Member Posts: 31

From beta I can tell you that the only thing you will reconize is player races and cities. Other then that the class tree different, different spells, pretty a whole new concept.  Its a great game if you look at it NOT being a graphic improvement of EQlive.

Scampers

Siolenas

• SiolenasSiolenas Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Drfeelgood

Once you bring up World of Warcraft into a EQ2 forum, your post  looses all integrity.  As far as EQ2 an unfinished product, Most MMO are genius.  The process of balancing is a never ending ordeal. 

If you are naive enough to think that WoW is going to be bug free and evenly class and skill balanced at release; I am afraid you are only committing bad faith if you know any philosophy.  Every MMO will
    its issue on release, and much needed patches on release.

Next time you plan to make a post make sure you come armed with your wits and not with a dull tongue

Scampers

Siolenas

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I was never nuts about EQI, I was into UO heavy when it first released and later played it for the free month then went back to DAoC. EQII has me hooked though after a couple of weeks of beta.

I miss DAoC

Siolenas, as you seems to play the smart guy , let me correct a few points here :

"The process of balancing is a never ending ordeal.  "

=> Wrong , this is what beta is for. You see, since EQ2 is very group oriented, having the 4 archetypes well balanced is not optionnal but a requirement, otherwise you go back to EQ1 where a few classes were leftover

"If you are naive enough to think that WoW is going to be bug free and evenly class and skill balanced at release"

=> No game is bug free at release but the more you test and tune it , the better it runs and the better the gameplay is . As for as I m concerned, yes I believe that a game with 1year of beta will be more tuned than a game with a 3 or 4 months beta.

Trust me or not, I did not plan to play WoW at release, but when I see how things goes with EQ2 , I will wait till WoW open beta and will compare the 2 games in terms of gameplay.

I'm certaily not going to play a char in EQ2 for 6 months, waiting for the next nerf stick to land because SOE did not bother tuning class abilities in Beta.

I'm sorry but adding untested spells and abilities 10 days before launch is not really serious, and class tuning is what really matter in this kind of game. You dont need 100 devs working 12 hours a day to fix graphical or quest bugs however it requires a lot of planning and detail attention to have the classes well rounded.

The quests are a big part of the game, so how  in, I dont know how many years of development , nobody at SOE thought about having the possibility to remove unwanted quests for the quests logs ????

Do they need 2000 beta testers to remain them  countless times on the EQ2 boards that it would be nice to have this option ?

About cities maps, I dont know now but I remember a month ago , most of Freeport maps zoning points was wrongly labelled . 

About the quest system,  nobody at SOE ever thought about introducing a waypoint system ( like for shard recovery ) once the quest has been done, so you have to run around these huge cities , wondering where the hell was the npc who gave you the quest >

These are details but they give you a clear indication about the kind of product you're having in your hand at this stage. If these guys , who are supposed to be professionnal are not able to figure that out by themselves, what will it be when it comes to some core functions like class balancing??image

EQ2 have the potential to be the best mmog , hands down, however as usual, SOE releases half finish products and have got the mentality " well, we'll fix it later on "

I'm sorry , I dont buy this ***** anymore.

• DarktongueDarktongue Member Posts: 276

>>"The process of balancing is a never ending ordeal.  "

=> Wrong , this is what beta is for. You see, since EQ2 is very group oriented, having the 4 archetypes well balanced is not optionnal but a requirement, otherwise you go back to EQ1 where a few classes were leftover<<

Fraid youre the one thats wrong there Drfeelgood.

Class balancing is ALWAYS going on in mmo land. No matter what  mmo it is. Ever seen a class in other mmo's lose an ability or have an ability reduced? For example off the top of my head Left Axe in DAoC. The spec line was over powered aparently and they reduced it, and this was like years after launch.

Also in EQ2 they had us testers test the spells/abilities and they were fairly balanced. Then 8 days to release they remove a stack of spells and give us new ones. A lot of these ruined the balance.Druids became the poor mans healer.Shamans became THE healer to have. Before the distance between the healing classes/subclasses was minimal.So mistakes are made and they can and WILL change balance issues during *live* gameplay.

>>I'm sorry but adding untested spells and abilities 10 days before launch is not really serious, and class tuning is what really matter in this kind of game<<  Adding stuff upsets the balance,so youre a bit contradictory here.

Balancing never stops.After all what do you guys pay the month sub for?

Oh...you thought it was to play lol.Nope you pay to test it for them. :P

Sadly once again SOE are using hype to sell the game like they did with SWG.Most testers said it wasnt ready for release and EQ2 is the same. But then again why would they listen to plebs like us when they have super duper paid internal testers who spot everything O.o (Online bets are just for stress testing systems and  stuff ,they dont really think we are great sadly)

>>I'm sorry , I dont buy this ***** anymore.<<

I'm with you on that!!

• SaragothSaragoth Member Posts: 84

yea they may not be complaining so much about its similarities now, but back long before the NDA was lifted, that was a lot of people's main worry...

Your full of shit.. No one ever said that.. Ever..

SG

Originally posted by Wickes
    BTW, Saragoth, it's just a guess ... but I'd bet you were banned for bad language.

From Darktongue

"For example off the top of my head Left Axe in DAoC. The spec line was over powered aparently and they reduced it, and this was like years after launch"

I've got no problem with that at all, however there is a huge difference between tuning an item and removing entire line of spells  like the ward regen to clerics 10 days before release

Let's wait 1 month and we will begin to see the usual rambling and whinning about class balancing issues ( coming from the same EQ2 fan boys who say today that the game is ready image )

I'm ready to bet on that