Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Convince Me: Which MMO to Play

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

I've played probably every mainstream game out there, and even some not-so-mainstream games. I liked some, but just can't find one to stick with. Since I'm having a hard time deciding, I want you to convince me to play a specific MMO. You get one shot so might as well make it worth it. Let me give you a list of things I like/dislike and a list of things I've played so you can kind of get an idea of what I'm into and so you don't waste your time suggesting something I'll never touch.

Want

- Most important thing to me is progression. I love to have a character that I can progress all the time, and always work towards something. You could consider me the "achiever" type of MMO player

- Open world, good for exploration

- P2P games

- Story

- PVP, but not as important as PVP. Consider it an afterthought or something you can do when not PVEing

- Great community

- Fun (subjective I know, but I mean fun combat mechanics, minigames, etc)

- Good graphics. This can mean artstyle (like WoW which has crappy graphics but amazing artstyle) or graphics like AoC (amazing DX10 graphics). While some say graphics don't mean a lot, which is somewhat true, it means a bit to me because (to me) it adds a sense of immersion

- Good music/sound

Don't Want

- Linear gameplay

- F2P games

- Boring, non-diverse classes

- Class imbalance

- A fair-sized dev team (nothing small, one of the reasons I quit VG despite it being my fav. MMO)

- Pure PVP

-***** No space sims (EVE). I'm not really into spreadsheets in space.*****

-***** Superhero MMO or Sci-Fi (I love the good old-fashioned high fantasy or medival type... even low fantasy is fine)*****

Now the important part, what I have played.

Deadset against playing again, don't even try to convince me:

- EVE

- Aion

- Everquest 1/2

- Warhammer Online

- Guild Wars

- Sword of the New World

- Lineage 1/2 (Or any Korean MMO for that matter)

- Pirates of the Burning Sea

- NO F2P GAMES PLEASE

- SWG or any SOE game

What I might play again, but I need you to help me decide (or convince me) to play

- Age of Conan - Played this at release, and absolutely loved it... in Tortage at least. After that I found the game was crap. I don't like how linear it is and the only 1 starting zone, but other than that it seems fun, good music, seems to have a good production team behind it now that is serious about getting it on track, amazing graphics etc. If you play this please try and convince me to play it as it might be fun.

- Final Fantasy XI - Played this for many many many years starting in '03. Loved it, but with time came boredom. Might get back into it, but don't know if its worth it with XIV coming out eventually.

- Vanguard: SOH - Amazing game. Flat out amazing. The low population and dev team is what ruins it for me, or I wouldn't even be posting this thread. I prob will play it again, but maybe not anytime soon.

- LotRO - Love the story and the world. The classes are a little dull, and the community is weird as FRIGGING HELL (even though they are nice). Maybe its the 40 year olds or the bible thumpers, who knows. No PVP really (not counting the crappy monster play which is crap)

- WoW - Great game. Played it for many years too, so it got boring. It might be a last resort if I can't find anything else. No need for an explenation here.

Anything else you can suggest would be awesome. Are there any MMOs that I didn't list that are great and have the features I suggested? Please feel free to help me. I love MMOs and want to play them, but I just need the right one. I'm in MMO limbo right now and it sucks.

Thanks

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398

Try Fallen Earth for the next two weeks for free: http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/115/Fallen-Earth-Days-Of-The-Dead-Trial-Key-Event.html

Bad graphics but its cool and different, and new.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

It sounds like you've pretty much played everything. Maybe LOTRO would be a good one to try again, with the new expansion coming out very soon.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

I'd say Roma Victor but pretty much any combat is PvP. With the new client, it fits almost all of the criteria you put up.

Fallen Earth could be a safe bet, or if you can wait, Earthrise could also be a good bet. Maybe Stargate Worlds too...who knows? Oh wait...no sc-fi...

I might also look into Puzzle Pirates. Yes, I'm being serious. It's not a bad game once you get past the fact that it's all mini-games. I played it for some good time before I stopped. About 2 months on the pay to play after launch and when it went free, another 2-4 months at least.

LOVE could also be a game you'd like. http://quelsolaar.com/

LOVE has an AMAZING art style, great community, great dev, tons of PvE content, stuff to do outside of PvE, etc. 

The only thing is LOVE is more of an MMOFPS and less of an MMORPG and the story is what you and everyone else does.

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

I would say try The Chronicles of Spellborn, but it went f2p recently (but maybe give this game a try, the combat is really unique in this game) if not than LOTR online, it is very solid game with many nice features or Fallen Earth (just testing it  at is seems to be good game)

Originally posted by jawali

I would say try The Chronicles of Spellborn, but it went f2p recently (but maybe give this game a try, the combat is really unique in this game)

I don't see what's unique about combat...it's a twitch-based MMO. That's about it...

Nonetheless, if you can handle relatively no PvP at all, Chronicles of Spellborn might be for you.

Also Darkfall might. There's a heavy emphasis on PvP but it isn't forced until you're ready. Lots of complaints about the game though.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

No matter what, I just can't stop playing Vanguard. Think I might stick with that.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Ryzom

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

i would recommend you to wait for FFXIV that is the least i can say about now

for me, there is no other good MMO worth trying / waiting other than the 2 upcoming soon-to-be Massive blockbuster MMO. SW:TOR and FFXIV

and perhaps... GW2

So What Now?

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

I would say try The Chronicles of Spellborn, but it went f2p recently (but maybe give this game a try, the combat is really unique in this game)

I don't see what's unique about combat...it's a twitch-based MMO. That's about it...

Nonetheless, if you can handle relatively no PvP at all, Chronicles of Spellborn might be for you.

Also Darkfall might. There's a heavy emphasis on PvP but it isn't forced until you're ready. Lots of complaints about the game though.

It is only one example: tanking. In most games you target mob and spam agro/ use threat attacks and mob stops to hit nuker/ healer and runs toward you. In spellborn you need to protect healer/ nuker with your own body ;) I mean you need to be between mob and your party member to protect him. There are many featers which I haven't found in many other games...

It is only one example: tanking. In most games you target mob and spam agro/ use threat attacks and mob stops to hit nuker/ healer and runs toward you. In spellborn you need to protect healer/ nuker with your own body ;) I mean you need to be between mob and your party member to protect him. There are many featers which I haven't found in many other games...

Not to sound like a pain but that's just twitch-based games in general. ;)

Most FPSs play like that

I'm sure games like Face of Mankind and Neocron in the MMO genre would offer the same kind of tanking.

Darkfall, Roma Victor and Mortal Online though...not so much. Too much emphasis on sword play.

It is cool to see in an MMO though, I agree, and it's the only high-fantasy game that seems to do it really well for free. So it is unique in that sense. Wish it had more PvP...

• Chr1scChr1sc Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Goob

Try Fallen Earth for the next two weeks for free: http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/115/Fallen-Earth-Days-Of-The-Dead-Trial-Key-Event.html

( Bad graphics ) but its cool and different, and new.

LOL

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I'd actually love to hear what you guys suggest for this because I tend to follow the almost exact same pattern of what I like in a game as the OP has written.

However, I did try Fallen Earth, and wasn't impressed.

This sucks that we have to wait for STOR, STO, and FFXIV to get what we crave.