Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any hope for an "EvE lite"?

ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

I mostly love EvE and have played it intermittently since launch.   Many would say the reason EvE is so popular with its fans is the open PvP and the death penalty.   Ironically, some could argue that is the reason why EvE is NOT as popular as some of the more successful MMO's (past and present).  

I don't expect (nor do I want) ccp to ever change EvE to cater to my carebear ways.   I fully understand how dynamic EvE is and how catastrophic such changes would be to the current player base.

But as I  get older and more  mellow I find my appetite for pvp is almost nil.  Last time I enjoyed any type of PvP online was Mechwarrior 3 (I went through 3 sidewinder joysticks!).     In WoW I made it to lvl 70 without a single honor kill (currently lvl 80 and have roughly 60 honor kills ...PHEAR ME!).

WoW has "pvp" servers.   I know ccp's single server cluster is expensive as all hell, but I wonder if they have ever considered starting a new "cluster" with a different rule set that might cater to players young and old who enjoy PvE over PvP.

(edit: changed "light" to "lite" in the subject heading.

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Unlikely.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Never going to happen.  Doesn't need to happen, as EVE without its harsh ruleset would not function and would no longer be the same game.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

eve is one server game and will remain like that untill end of time*

* I hope so

BestSigEver :P

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by ValiumSummer

I mostly love EvE and have played it intermittently since launch.   Many would say the reason EvE is so popular with its fans is the open PvP and the death penalty.   Ironically, some could argue that is the reason why EvE is NOT as popular as some of the more successful MMO's (past and present).  
    I don't expect (nor do I want) ccp to ever change EvE to cater to my carebear ways.   I fully understand how dynamic EvE is and how catastrophic such changes would be to the current player base.
    But as I  get older and more  mellow I find my appetite for pvp is almost nil.  Last time I enjoyed any type of PvP online was Mechwarrior 3 (I went through 3 sidewinder joysticks!).     In WoW I made it to lvl 70 without a single honor kill (currently lvl 80 and have roughly 60 honor kills ...PHEAR ME!).
    WoW has "pvp" servers.   I know ccp's single server cluster is expensive as all hell, but I wonder if they have ever considered starting a new "cluster" with a different rule set that might cater to players young and old who enjoy PvE over PvP.

Stay in Empire, Stay in a NPC corp and make a custom chat channels for friends to join.

Running missions in empire and Exploring Combat sites in Empire is bascially like playing a pve game.

Empire = Eve lite.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

a pve server would die a laughable death. all the major nullsec alliances would start new characters and go and goldrush all of nullsec, with no pvp once the towers are down, they're staying there.

with no ship losses, the industry would grind to a halt and with nothing to spend money on, the server population would leave en mass.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Also, consider joining a good wormhole crew.  PVP is rare (but not non-existent) and you can make lots of money ratting sleepers.  Also would be considered to be EVE - lite.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Jesus, how silly!

EVE has eve light as people say, the empire space! Even that is changed as well with the different wars going on.

EVE you can go slow or you can go fast in 0.0 space.

I have been podded and ransomed by pirates when I went in 0.4 space...and as I'm not ready for it I don't go there any more..

*sighs* 

EVE is not just PVP, it can be  PVRoid if you want and has been since day one

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

I have played, for 6 months, in Empire and had a lot of fun. I fit my current ship (the Navy Mega) and am starting to venture into Low Sec. The game has a lot to offer other than the PvP. It's just that people don't realize it all the time.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by Xennith

a pve server would die a laughable death. all the major nullsec alliances would start new characters and go and goldrush all of nullsec, with no pvp once the towers are down, they're staying there.

with no ship losses, the industry would grind to a halt and with nothing to spend money on, the server population would leave en mass.

QFT

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Removing PVP from EVE is like removing O2 from air we breed.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• Cyborg99Cyborg99 Member Posts: 576

While I disagree with your "Eve Light" idea  I do wish CCP would release an Eve single player game. I love the Eve lore and environment but the Eve community is the worst out of every mmo I've played. I would gladly pay $15 a month to play a Eve single player.

Edit: Also I think the op means "Eve Lite".  Lite meaning an innocuous or unthreatening version of Eve Online

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

The only posts I read in threads are my own.

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008
    Originally posted by Cyborg99

While I disagree with your "Eve Light" idea  I do wish CCP would release an Eve single player game. I love the Eve lore and environment but the Eve community is the worst out of every mmo I've played. I would gladly pay $15 a month to play a Eve single player.

Edit: Also I think the op means "Eve Lite".  Lite meaning an innocuous or unthreatening version of Eve Online

Yes.  I  did in fact mean "lite"  not "light".   Thankyou.

And I very much like your idea for an EvE single player game...PACKED full of the ships and crazy loot that is available in the online version.

I've heard freelancer is a good game I might give that a try.

Based on the responses I got here I'll abandon my hopes for an EvE 'lite'. 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I fully understand how dynamic EvE is and how catastrophic such changes would be to the current player base.

No, you don't understand anything. This is not about playerbase, EVE would simply not work without death penalty and PVP.

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I fully understand how dynamic EvE is and how catastrophic such changes would be to the current player base.

No, you don't understand anything. This is not about playerbase, EVE would simply not work without death penalty and PVP.

I concede that EvE would not work in the same way it does now.  I'll even say that it would be come a very different game.

But I disagree with you that it would simply "not work" and that  I "don't understand anything" .   

I've played the game (a lot).  I started 3 days after launch.   At one time I was running 4 accounts.   Two accounts date back to June 2004.   I remember the gate camps by the dreaded corp "MoO".     I remember Moa's were the best ship you could buy.   I remember when they introduced battleships.   I've quit and resubbled 4 separate times since launch.  

Its a great game.

Obviously... if the death penalty was reduced/removed and PvP was to become more restricted... there would probably have to be other changes to the game to make it more viable.  It would undoubtedly become a very different experience then it is now.

I'll reiterate what I said in my original post.   My desire is not for EvE to change its ruleset on the existing cluster, but rather to start another cluster with a ruleset aimed at the less "hardcore" .   I fully understand how Empire space works.  

Its really a yes or no answer.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I concede that EvE would not work in the same way it does now. I'll even say that it would be come a very different game.But I disagree with you that it would simply "not work" and that I "don't understand anything" . I've played the game (a lot). I started 3 days after launch. At one time I was running 4 accounts. Two accounts date back to June 2004. I remember the gate camps by the dreaded corp "MoO". I remember Moa's were the best ship you could buy. I remember when they introduced battleships. I've quit and resubbled 4 separate times since launch. Its a great game.Obviously... if the death penalty was reduced/removed and PvP was to become more restricted... there would probably have to be other changes to the game to make it more viable. It would undoubtedly become a very different experience then it is now.I'll reiterate what I said in my original post. My desire is not for EvE to change its ruleset on the existing cluster, but rather to start another cluster with a ruleset aimed at the less "hardcore" . I fully understand how Empire space works. Its really a yes or no answer.

PVE server means that you could do what you are doing now - endless mission grinding.
    There would be no economy - no room for manufacturing, research, mining, exploration, moon mining.

So no, EVE would not work because those are corner stones of the game.

If you want to play some dumb game, go ahead. There are many you can choose from.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Hmm, OK, OP, if you've played this much EVE and you know how PVE friendly the game actually can be I'm not quite sure what part of the game you feel shut out of and need a new server for.

Is it because PVE'er are shut out of 0.0, the resources it contains and the ability to control space/stations?

Just  trying to understand your motivation because so far I don't see it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

Eve would require a complete rework because aliances controling space is one of the biggest things. With losses and a cost to pvp the systems in place for gaining territory wouldn't work. Eve is based on atrition from fighting ultimatly causing people to give up the fight because they can no longer afford to fight any longer.

• huntardhuntard Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Stay in Empire, Stay in a NPC corp and make a custom chat channels for friends to join.

Running missions in empire and Exploring Combat sites in Empire is bascially like playing a pve game.

Empire = Eve lite.

What he said, its also one of the reasons why Eve is so unique by having the ability to actually do just about anything you want.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Originally posted by Gdemami

I concede that EvE would not work in the same way it does now.  I'll even say that it would be come a very different game.

But I disagree with you that it would simply "not work" and that  I "don't understand anything" .   

I've played the game (a lot).  I started 3 days after launch.   At one time I was running 4 accounts.   Two accounts date back to June 2004.   I remember the gate camps by the dreaded corp "MoO".     I remember Moa's were the best ship you could buy.   I remember when they introduced battleships.   I've quit and resubbled 4 separate times since launch.  

Its a great game.

Obviously... if the death penalty was reduced/removed and PvP was to become more restricted... there would probably have to be other changes to the game to make it more viable.  It would undoubtedly become a very different experience then it is now.

I'll reiterate what I said in my original post.   My desire is not for EvE to change its ruleset on the existing cluster, but rather to start another cluster with a ruleset aimed at the less "hardcore" .   I fully understand how Empire space works.  

Its really a yes or no answer.

No

• StaatsschutzStaatsschutz Member Posts: 90

never going to happen. but its not needed either. if you dont like pvp, you can just stay in high sec

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

CCP have said time and time again that the entire point of EVE was to have everyone in the same universe. With Dust 514 they prove this again. They will never, ever make a second shard, the one exception being China because of legal reasons.

They haven't even considered to consider it. EVE is designed to be just one shard, one realm. Even if it gets "full", they will simply make the one shard bigger rather than add a second one.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA