Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What type of death penalty would you like/want FFXIV to have?

i know they said there is no xp but there will need to be a penalty of some sort. I'm definitely for it, i feel it adds to the excitement of the game along w/ having to think before doing something stupid. I'm not saying you need to lose exp like you did in EQ but i thought FFXI was okay. I doubt players will lose as much as they did in FFXI since they are likely trying to reach the more casual market but I think a penalty similar to FFXI maybe less would still be great.

With a death penalty and battle system I feel the FFXIV community won't be swarmed with too many spammers and immature players. I was just wondering what others thought about it.

- I apologize for earlier pokes

Comments

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Alright poll with the exception of the usual wow bashing...(which I don't play by the way)

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Bashing WoW players is not a good way to start a thread - if you really want reasonable and polite discussion.

WoW is not the Devil. It has bad players and good ones.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

When you die you'll get a penatly to # of exp you can gain. Say, if you die you get a penalty of 500 exp and from every monster you kill 66% of the exp goes to repaying that penalty and you gain the rest of the exp. When you've gained 500exp the penalty wears off.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

Should loose some xp when you die.  That teaches you to look before you leap.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Death penalty should be balanced so that

1. It is tough enough that you wont want to use it as a cheap way to gate out of a dungeon.

2. It is not so tough that it makes it hard to find groups willing to take risks.

Actually eq1 wasnt that far off the mark.  If you got a good res it wasnt more than an hour of lost xp.   And actually wow was worse. If you werent a gold buyer that is. Eventually the cost of repairs was not insignificant and Id much rather have to earn back the lost xp than have to go farm gold for repairs.

Here is my suggestion:

1. Lose an hour or two of xp.  More if there are resses in game and you dont get a res.

2. Loss of level if you go below zero.  Players at max level should still have to worry about dying too much.

3. No loss of spells or abilities when you delevel.  I dont want to rearrange hotbars every time it happens.  Just scale back the ability but dont lose it entirely.

• StuckovStuckov Member UncommonPosts: 101

I like harsh Death penalties. They make SO much sense in a PVE game. They may not make too much sense in a PVP game but in a PVE centric game death penalties make the fights exciting (not that they dont in pvp games but) and they just add that extra immersion into the world.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Just like FFXI, where you lose a good amount of XP, plus the chance to lose a level!  Course since FFXIV isn't supposed to have XP or levels, we'll more than likely see loss of skill in the weapon we were using upon death for several hrs or permanent and you have to regain it.

XP debt, no loss, or armor repair are horrible designs and I tire of them.  When I die I wanna feel the loss as being important and drilled into ones head, "that yeah you may wanna rethink your strategy before trying that again" or "come better prepared next time!"  You don't just keep showing up and zerging it till you accidentally win.

Originally posted by svann

Death penalty should be balanced so that
    1. It is tough enough that you wont want to use it as a cheap way to gate out of a dungeon.
    2. It is not so tough that it makes it hard to find groups willing to take risks.

I agree with both of these points. Harsh penalties make grouping MUCH harder, and frankly, much less friendly. I think that when grouped, the run back is enough of a punishment.

For solo, xp loss is fine, but no deleveling - unless at max level (there has to be SOME penalty). A choice between xp loss or repair cost would be even better.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244

Some new aspects or features of dying/KO'ing that we havent seen in MMOGs or too often. If anyone cause do it, it is SE.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

Originally posted by Khrymson

Just like FFXI, where you lose a good amount of XP, plus the chance to lose a level!  Course since FFXIV isn't supposed to have XP or levels, we'll more than likely see loss of skill in the weapon we were using upon death for several hrs or permanent and you have to regain it.

XP debt, no loss, or armor repair are horrible designs and I tire of them.  When I die I wanna feel the loss as being important and drilled into ones head, "that yeah you may wanna rethink your strategy before trying that again" or "come better prepared next time!"  You don't just keep showing up and zerging it till you accidentally win.

ROFL, very true.

Like in FFXI this first 10 or so levels should be penalty free but after that bring on the penalties. The first few levels is when you learn about the game and of course you will die a few times. When I first started to play FFXI I can't even count the amount of times I died fighting mobs I was to low lvl for.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Make Death sting. No stupid Run back is puneshment enough. if you want that stupid Mechanic stay in Wow and War. No Oh pay 50 gill to get your armor fixed. I hate those Mechanics. If your not man enough to play the game then Dont play it. We dont care that you would play the game if it was easier. There are Plenty of easy games. Not Nearly enough good hard ones.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• escaflownesescaflownes Member Posts: 5

OMG, you guys even know what the game ffxiv lvling system is like? i swear some of you guys dont read. The lvling is different. You are lvling up your skill. But do you really want to delvl bunch of skill. That tooks hours just to get it?

Add* Who even knows how you lvl up a skill. It might be, you can only lvl up your skill from quest. But i like the new lvl system. It might allow everyone to play together. No more lfm lvl 40-45 only. I HOPE :P

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606
    Originally posted by escaflownes

OMG, you guys even know what the game ffxiv lvling system is like? i swear some of you guys dont read. The lvling is different. You are lvling up your skill. But do you really want to delvl bunch of skill. That tooks hours just to get it?

I’m with you I don’t want the loss hours of game play to affect my choices of fighting Mob A or Mob B... and this whole if your not man enough to play the game don’t play the game crap that just ridiculous. This is a casual game market in today’s world. If they make the penalties to sever then the game dies like so many before it. Since unfortunatly for you (hardcore) people; us the casual gamers are the market..... 

Sorry had a great idea they should make a server dedicated to the (HardCore) players and the penalties for dieing should be like an entire level or the equivalent in skills... that would be kinda cool dont u think.... Flame On

Add* Who even knows how you lvl up a skill. It might be, you can only lvl up your skill from quest. But i like the new lvl system. It might allow everyone to play together. No more lfm lvl 40-45 only. I HOPE :P

Instead, will it be "skill x must be 150+, skill y must be 100+"?

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Instead, will it be "skill x must be 150+, skill y must be 100+"?

Something like that. Or "Guildleve Mission 35-40" or (since they said one we reach a certain level in skills we receive a different classification) "This Mage or that Mage please-not this shitty lvl 45 healing skill mage".

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I am all for a decent death penalty. I am not a fan of gear loss, because people love their gear. i am not a fan of paying for repairs because the people who have more than enough money never fear death. I liked the xp loss system, not a debt system, straight up xp loss with dlvl.

If you die you must be punished, thats not a hardcore mentality. IMO FFXI had it perfect. If you died and couldnt get a raise you just lost an hour or 2 of xp. If you home pointed you deserved to loos that xp for being stupid. If you got a raise III it was really no big deal.

Like one of the comments mentioned aboved lack of a serious death penalty leads people to abuse the system. Either try to zerg a boss down multiple times untill they get lucky or its just a warp "home". Some people may not need a penalty to know that they screwed up but there is a MASSIVE group of players that will exploit a cheap death penalty. Dieing has to be avoided by the players and you cant do that without a decent penalty.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

I would like this game to be nothing like WoW.

Originally posted by Lexin

So, you want it to be sloppy, incomplete, buggy as hell, unstable, and require an uber system to run?

• StookyStooky Member Posts: 9

The death penalty will be like WoW's most likely as they have said there is armor damage and its visible (so cool *_*)

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

So, you want it to be sloppy, incomplete, buggy as hell, unstable, and require an uber system to run?

All of which FFXI never was, so FFXIV will be the same amazing title to play -sans the uber system to run which will eliminate a ton of WoWtards from playing it.  Not like they'll enjoy it anyway...

Originally posted by Stooky

The death penalty will be like WoW's most likely as they have said there is armor damage and its visible (so cool *_*)

Possibly, but I think it makes more sense to have armor damage from the actual fighting and some other penalty for dying.

• StuckovStuckov Member UncommonPosts: 101

I could be mistaken and they could have changed it already or will change it in the future but I believe one of the devs did mention that there was a XP (or weapon XP) loss during death but not as big as the one in FFXI. I also think he said that they were working on it and that they were testing different amounts of xp loss aswell as other penalties.

Originally posted by Stuckov

I could be mistaken and they could have changed it already or will change it in the future but I believe one of the devs did mention that there was a XP (or weapon XP) loss during death but not as big as the one in FFXI. I also think he said that they were working on it and that they were testing different amounts of xp loss aswell as other penalties.

He did say something around that.  From what I remember is that its in the platform they are testing (at the time of interview) now and it will go into more discussion if they are going to keep it or not.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

lol you realy are trolling arn't you.....

FFXI was never any of those things.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams