Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the end game raid in Vanguard ?

Currently I'm playing Aion, sooner or later i will find Aion bored as im a pve guy. So i would like to try Vanguard, how is the end game raid compared to wow ? Are there a lot of raids ? Was it as unique and interesting like some of the wow raids ? This is 1 of the major factors i will consider before buying Vanguard.

Games on my waiting list:
Guild War 2
Tera
Rift
Forsaken World

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

not sure about the end game stuff, however if you go to the vanguard site, they are doing 14 day free trials, so you can at least check the game out and see if you even like it overall. not sure about the time it takes to reach cap in this game, but perhaps you can get at least a glimpse of some of the end game stuff in that time.

• Shiseiten83Shiseiten83 Member Posts: 29

thanks. I will give it a try. I'm downloading the client now.

Games on my waiting list:
    Guild War 2
    Tera
    Rift
    Forsaken World

• VyrolakosVyrolakos Member Posts: 143

The free trial has an adventuring level cap of 10. You can't get off the island until you subscribe.

The Isle of Dawn is designed to introduce people to one particular land of Telon. It does give a very good (concentrated) experience of what the game is like. Obviously, it doesn't give you a real taste of what "end" game raiding is like. No free, level 1 - 10 trial can do.

Can't offer you any advice on what the end game is like. I'm still having fun in the "beginning" game. :)

Currently playing: Vanguard: SOH

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Level 50 raid - APW (massive non-instanced raid with 24 or 25 bosses) Getting to cap level from 50-55 is in a way another type of end-game. Leveling above level 50 requires you to group up mostly -> it takes weeks (months for some), you will be able to research new spells. There's PotA level 55 raid content and there's one more in works. You surely wouldntt be disappointed with the raid content, it's far better than in other games. Sure, end-game is also a lot about grind but which game isn't?

REALITY CHECK

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by Thillian

Level 50 raid - APW (massive non-instanced raid with 24 or 25 bosses) Getting to cap level from 50-55 is in a way another type of end-game. Leveling above level 50 requires you to group up mostly -> it takes weeks (months for some), you will be able to research new spells. There's PotA level 55 raid content and there's one more in works. You surely wouldntt be disappointed with the raid content, it's far better than in other games. Sure, end-game is also a lot about grind but which game isn't?

However, if you are going primarily for a raiding endgame, VG doesn't supply enough nor focuses on raiding as a pimary endgame component.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

I think Ancient Port Warehouse (APW) is the best end-game raiding experience in any MMO, hands down.  Too much to go into here, but it is a lot of fun working through that dungeon with a good guild.

That said, Vanguard needs another APW type of experience for raiders who have completed APW.  Stirhaad could be the next APW but I don't remember if Halls of Shatter Souls and AAs are on the docket first or if they've moved up Stirhaad due to popular demand.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Xeonsoldier

However, if you are going primarily for a raiding endgame, VG doesn't supply enough nor focuses on raiding as a pimary endgame component.

I'm not sure this is really a good statement..  I am playing eq2 mostly but when I think about it eq2 has like 5-6 raid zones with maybe 3-5 bosses.  When I add them up I get something around 20...  Well I guess you need to also add VP which does add a number of raid mobs.  guess I'm kinda mostly focussed on the current TSO tier bosses, so the number would be higher...  Now there are a number of overland bosses as well that you add to this.  But still I think EQ2 is pretty good for raiding and most raid dungeons from most games I have played typically only have a few raid bosses.  So while VG only has one raid dungeon it is probably larger then any game out and if you counted raid bosses to compare I'm not sure VG is really that bad compared to other games.  I know it has more then LoTR.  I have no idea how many raid bosses wow currently has for max level...

---
    Ethion

Originally posted by ethion

I'm not sure this is really a good statement..  I am playing eq2 mostly but when I think about it eq2 has like 5-6 raid zones with maybe 3-5 bosses.  When I add them up I get something around 20...  Well I guess you need to also add VP which does add a number of raid mobs.  guess I'm kinda mostly focussed on the current TSO tier bosses, so the number would be higher...  Now there are a number of overland bosses as well that you add to this.  But still I think EQ2 is pretty good for raiding and most raid dungeons from most games I have played typically only have a few raid bosses.  So while VG only has one raid dungeon it is probably larger then any game out and if you counted raid bosses to compare I'm not sure VG is really that bad compared to other games.  I know it has more then LoTR.  I have no idea how many raid bosses wow currently has for max level...

My comment is good for what its worth. Vanguard does not attract primary raiders, that's a fact. Vanguard does not focus on raiding at all because of obvious reasons of resources, inability to test, development time, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I tested APW for 9 months prior to its launch, its like 4-5 dungeons crammed into one. While that may be great and all, if they could have elected to go with 4-5 different individual dungeons with the same number of bosses, you could come out with the same if not better results. A change of scenary, lore, etc never hurts. With that being said, APW is a good dungeon nonetheless, however, 2 years after its time, the shine starts to go away and its now just a place to say you HAVE experienced, not necessarily saying you need to like before the POTA patch. And I agree, they do need another APW type dungeon, but its not happening ever. HoSS is not considered APW type as its just bosses and not trash.

As compared to EQ2, I came to VG after leaving EQ2 going up to the KoS expansion. While their dungeons were not as big as APW, I dont' think any game honestly has a dungeon as big as APW. When you add it up and location wise, EQ2 for a base or per expansion comes out with more by a nudge.

I guess its personal taste. But for me, I rather not have one slam big pack dungeon, but rather have multiple dungeons around the world with their own lore, scenary, mob types, etc. So as for right now, VG's endgame raiding is rather shallow because Pota outdoes APW gear by miles and all that's left from that are the overlands which are knocked out by most half-decent guilds excluding Varking/Nimaa/Sparkles/Karax (bugged).

Now if you want to talk end-game group content, heh that's a whole different thread there...

• bigups43bigups43 Member Posts: 12

Hi there and Welcome to Vanguard! Raiding in vanguard is phenomenal. There  are two premier raid areas in vg right now: Ancient Port Warehouse and Pantheon of The Ancients. PoTA was just recently released and has not been cleared yet. There are also about 5 or 6 overland raid mobs. The raid content is all 50+ and the devs will soon be releasing another raid area called Nexus. There are also some new endgame questing areas like Troll coast, Shores Of Darkness, Vi'rak Lair and soon to be Hillsbury Manor.

There is more than enough to keep someone occupied at any level in VG and endgame is no exception. I hope you enjoy your time in game!

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163

Some would call the some of the dungeons mini raids,they are that big and vast. If your not use to them kind of dungeons right from the start ,then you will be impressed.

Other than EQ1,Vanguard has the best dungeons i have seen in any mmorpg,they more than make up for any end game content you think is missing.

I think their is plenty to get stuck into especially with the latest content,it will take you ages.

Originally posted by bigups43

Hi there and Welcome to Vanguard! Raiding in vanguard is phenomenal. There  are two premier raid areas in vg right now: Ancient Port Warehouse and Pantheon of The Ancients. PoTA was just recently released and has not been cleared yet. There are also about 5 or 6 overland raid mobs. The raid content is all 50+ and the devs will soon be releasing another raid area called Nexus. There are also some new endgame questing areas like Troll coast, Shores Of Darkness, Vi'rak Lair and soon to be Hillsbury Manor.

There is more than enough to keep someone occupied at any level in VG and endgame is no exception. I hope you enjoy your time in game!

Pota is not a "raid" area by any stretch. I think you mean HoSS which is not a raid dungeon, but a dungeon with only 6 raid bosses in it and its far from launch as no testing has been done on it. PoTa hasn't been cleared due to its bugginess (my group was the first to tier 3 so trust me on this one). There's more than 5-6 overlands to help ya out on that :p.

Nexus will not be coming until end of next year so don't spread that tale :p. Shores of Darkness is one of the worst faction grinds...until they changed it...8 months later after 20% of the population dropped from it. Vi'rak Lair seems incomplete due to the nature of its rewards compared to risk. Hilsbury Manor will be interesting but it'll be just another filler. APW is the only raid dungeon in game period and its outdated content as everything now overshadows it. And mind you they made APW 24 man when its 18 man based content which makes it = gimp.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by Shiseiten83

Currently I'm playing Aion, sooner or later i will find Aion bored as im a pve guy. So i would like to try Vanguard, how is the end game raid compared to wow ? Are there a lot of raids ? Was it as unique and interesting like some of the wow raids ? This is 1 of the major factors i will consider before buying Vanguard.

Since you asked about raid content, I'll answer specifically on just that.  Vanguard has a severe lack of raid content, it takes roughly a year and half up to two years in between raid content releases.  If raids is what you are looking for specifically, Vanguard isn't for you.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by Mardy

Since you asked about raid content, I'll answer specifically on just that.  Vanguard has a severe lack of raid content, it takes roughly a year and half up to two years in between raid content releases.  If raids is what you are looking for specifically, Vanguard isn't for you.

If someone is new to the game, and enjoys raiding, then it will be a very, very long time until they've gotten through the raid content in Vanguard.  There is a lot.  However, the veterans that have been playing VG for almost 3 years are looking forward to new content.. hopefully in the form of Stirhaad.

With regard to the Vi'Rak reference above.  We hit Vi'Rak at least a couple times a week.  It's complete, all the weapon and gear upgrades work.  There are some best in game mythical drops.  The place is very fun, it's a good old fashioned dungeon crawl with named and some great drops.  The bonus is that it can be done with any number of people.. a single group, 8 or 24.

Originally posted by boojiboy

Originally posted by Mardy

If someone is new to the game, and enjoys raiding, then it will be a very, very long time until they've gotten through the raid content in Vanguard.  There is a lot.  However, the veterans that have been playing VG for almost 3 years are looking forward to new content.. hopefully in the form of Stirhaad.

With regard to the Vi'Rak reference above.  We hit Vi'Rak at least a couple times a week.  It's complete, all the weapon and gear upgrades work.  There are some best in game mythical drops.  The place is very fun, it's a good old fashioned dungeon crawl with named and some great drops.  The bonus is that it can be done with any number of people.. a single group, 8 or 24.

Actually no on the raiding part. Any "raider" who comes to VG and joins any half-decent raiding guild, usually they don't do all of APW if at all. And overland content, yeah it will be done fast. So basically in all reality, you can see all of VG's raid content in a matter of 2 weeks just for the fact there isn't enough "new" raid content. Now if they join like a noob friendly guild then yeah, they may not see all of it for a while. But again we're talking about someone who'se looking at the end-game specifically.