Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too late to start EVE?

2»

Comments

• shipprekkshipprekk Member Posts: 15

I have a very sordid history with EVE. I beta tested it, couldn't get into it. I played probably a year later and gave up. Three years ago I tried again and got fairly into it: I leveled most of my learning skills and started working on Drones with an eye for piracy. The problem was I could never find my niche. I started in an RP/Pirate group that was pretty fun but it disbanded. I found a new corp in one of the bigger Alliances and found fleet combat to be the single most boring thing ever in an MMO. I found it took far too long to get anything done and I had zero direction.

I will say, however, that the most fun I had was probably about a month into playing I was zooming around low-sec and came upon a freighter totally unguarded. I had a pretty shitty ship (the one that looks like a camera with legs) but dove in anyway. I got the shields down before the thing tore into me and fully ended my first piracy run. I realized later that I never engaged my target jammer. Had I done so I probably would have cleaned the sucker out. This was a very cool prospect but I never had another like it.

I love the idea of EVE but am I just not fit for it? Do I try again and just keep searching until I find my place in the EVE universe? Does it just not fit my playstyle? Do I have to give up my life to really "get" EVE?

Any tips out there?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by shipprekk

I have a very sordid history with EVE. I beta tested it, couldn't get into it. I played probably a year later and gave up. Three years ago I tried again and got fairly into it: I leveled most of my learning skills and started working on Drones with an eye for piracy. The problem was I could never find my niche. I started in an RP/Pirate group that was pretty fun but it disbanded. I found a new corp in one of the bigger Alliances and found fleet combat to be the single most boring thing ever in an MMO. I found it took far too long to get anything done and I had zero direction.
    I will say, however, that the most fun I had was probably about a month into playing I was zooming around low-sec and came upon a freighter totally unguarded. I had a pretty shitty ship (the one that looks like a camera with legs) but dove in anyway. I got the shields down before the thing tore into me and fully ended my first piracy run. I realized later that I never engaged my target jammer. Had I done so I probably would have cleaned the sucker out. This was a very cool prospect but I never had another like it.
    I love the idea of EVE but am I just not fit for it? Do I try again and just keep searching until I find my place in the EVE universe? Does it just not fit my playstyle? Do I have to give up my life to really "get" EVE?
    Any tips out there?

Sounds like you want to be a pirate. There are plenty of non-RP pirate corps, and even a few RP ones all going strong.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

I downloaded the trial and played a few hours on Sunday.  I am trying to determine if I want to subscribe or not.

Here is my delimma.  I do not have a lot of time to play any longer.  EVE does cater to this somewhat by allowing you to set up the skill training que.  If they had that at the beginning I may have stayed around a bit longer.

I also ran some missions for the tutorail and am currently running all of the missions that are there for the various job tutorials.  Still not sure what I want to do yet or if this is just a new shiney game that will lose my interest soon.

I am kinda torn on what type of function i want to focus on in EVE at the moment.  I was thinking of just soloing it a bit and see what appeals to me.  I have jumped in a few years ago and went straight into a corp without doing much if anything on the starting missions.  I got bored with it fairly quick for some reason.  I guess because I did not flesh out what I wanted to do and just jumped into a corp doing mining missions and focussing on what THEY needed and not what I WANTED to do.

Are their limitations on training more than 1 character at a time?  I know this was an area of contention in the past that did not allow it or extended the training times out. 

I think I have reached a limit on my indusctrial/ mining type with the trial limitations and was thinking of putting together a combat persona and giving it a test. 

However, I kinda like the industry side of things and wanted to give it a try out to see how I can do with it.  Hauling is ok, but the market is a bit overwhelming for me to figure out so soon into the game.  That and the travel times and buying stats and etc etc.. make it a bit daunting.  I think if I do decide to go this route it may be best to solo it til I get to a spot where I am fairly self sufficient and then find a corp I can trust ( during the solo part I should have met some peeps to put me on a corp path ).

But, I am going to try out some combat and maybe get into a corp as a rat hunter and miner protection.  Could be a good thing for my limited play times.  Something i can launch into, track down the mining teams and let them go in with full mining gear and allow me to keep them clear of rats and stuff.

I dunno though.  This game is seriously daunting to new individuals.  Exciting and overwhelming all at the same time.  I mean, every time you  turn around there is something you want to use but need to train up on.  It gets a bit frustraiting as well when you run into these stumbling blocks.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Focus on one thing at a time. If you think you might like PvP, try Red vs Blue

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• FormlessOneFormlessOne Member UncommonPosts: 35

It's always a good time to start EVE Online.

It's not your usual MMO - there's no "race to the endgame" mentality here. You're immediately useful in the game, both to your own development and to others, and what you do is entirely up to you. When World of Warcraft becomes banal, when Lord of the Rings Online becomes boring, when other games can't satisfy, EVE does the trick.