Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat system and progression question

treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Hello guys,

I have seen some videos of the game (PAX and some trailers) and I still don't know how to combat system works, space combat or ground combat. Is it autotarget mode like the general mmorpg, or you need to aim like in games like Fallen Earth, Darkfall etc?

On the other hands, I read the character progresion was skill-based, but are there levels?

Comments

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by treyu86

On the other hands, I read the character progresion was skill-based, but are there levels?

There are "Ranks" instead of levels. After you acquire and spend a certain number of skill points on your character then that character can be promoted to the next rank.

See this page to see a very vague explanation of what little they have told us about the game so far:

http://www.startrekonline.com/Player_Progression

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

http://www.startrekonline.com/Player_Progression

This link gives a detailed explanation of character progression.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• charoscharos Member Posts: 25

Well that kidof clears up the leveling sytem thnx=)

Wath about the combat system its like in eve or like in Infinite ?

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by charos

Except for the tiny number of people who claim to have played demos of the game at the PAX, I don't think anyone really knows.

Which is probably why it took Ktanner half a day to repeat exactly what I said in a less detailed way. He apparently doesn't know either.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Well that kidof clears up the leveling sytem thnx=)

It's a mix of both as far as we can tell at this point. It uses EVE style targeting but Infinite style movement. You 'fly' your ship in any direction you want like a flight sim using the WASD keys for control unlike EVE (Which uses relational movement) but the targeting is handled by the computer like most other MMOs. Basically you fly in, select your targets and open fire... all the time piloting the ship directly yourself.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• charoscharos Member Posts: 25

I hope they will make the combat system like in a normal space flyth sim

Becose with target and blast awey sytem it wont just fell write it well be somthing like playing a shooter with auto aim or having s.. with your gf with a con.... well i think you understand wath i mean ^_^

• HittingSmokeHittingSmoke Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Raltar

Except for the tiny number of people who claim to have played demos of the game at the PAX, I don't think anyone really knows.

Which is probably why it took Ktanner half a day to repeat exactly what I said in a less detailed way. He apparently doesn't know either.

Me being one of them :D

It is a targeting system but it's not an autofire system. You target with the tab key as you do in many RPGs but firing in space and on the ground is done manually.

As of the PAX demo version, the controls in space were, Space bar fires all phaser arrays with an available line of fire. Ctrl+space would fire all torpedoes with a line of fire. Ground combat was the number keys, 1 being standard attack, 2 being special attack and moving up using your special abilities.

I hope this helps a bit :)