Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only 2 weeks left for Dragon Age Origins!!!

Comments

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

I'm just not feeling this one, the single player aspect, meh, haven't really dug a single player game of any sort in a while.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Got Dragon Age Origins paid for  for the xbox360! Cant Wait!

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH fires plunger at dragon's Butt)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Creating a story isn't really all that hard to do, and lets not pretend as if Bioware sets a new standard for storytelling.There have been many companies that were able to create games in Unique settings with good storylines that didn't involve a generic fantasy setting or a generic sci fi setting with laser swords and laser guns.

Not every developer wants to emulate the koreans/japanese, with the weird worlds they are set in. The west likes Tolkien and Jules Verne creations.

Is it possible that you totally hate the creations of the western developers? You sure have allot of love for the generic #(put number here) F2P korean games.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Creating a story isn't really all that hard to do, and lets not pretend as if Bioware sets a new standard for storytelling.

There have been many companies that were able to create games in Unique settings with good storylines that didn't involve a generic fantasy setting or a generic sci fi setting with laser swords and laser guns.

Not every developer wants to emulate the koreans/japanese, with the weird worlds they are set in. The west likes Tolkien and Jules Verne creations.

Is it possible that you totally hate the creations of the western developers? You sure have allot of love for the generic #(put number here) F2P korean games.

There are indeed many people in the west who lack any sense of imagination. If it doesn't have the generic typical fantasy features they won't touch it. To me, that's not what fantasy is about. I like fantasy because it lets me experience new worlds and settings and yet for some reason many people only want to experience what they are already familar with.

Just look at the huge amount of western mmorpgs that have an already existing IP.

Where did you get this strange idea I hate everything western developers do and I have a love for generic f2p korean games? Unfortunately, you're not the first to say that and probably won't be the last.

I don't hate the creations of western developers, I dislike many of them because of their lack of imagination as far as world settings are concerned. I'm dissapointed that many treat fantasy not as something that is only limited by imagination, but as something that should stick to the things invented by Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons.

Take The Saga of Ryzom as an example, just look at the setting. Look at how different and unique it looks. Unfortuantely, games like that are the exception, not the rule.

I don't have a love for generic f2p korean games. I don't play those very often. What I am doing is defending them from incorrect claims and stereotypes.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Creating a story isn't really all that hard to do, and lets not pretend as if Bioware sets a new standard for storytelling.

There have been many companies that were able to create games in Unique settings with good storylines that didn't involve a generic fantasy setting or a generic sci fi setting with laser swords and laser guns.

There are indeed many people in the west who lack any sense of imagination. If it doesn't have the generic typical fantasy features they won't touch it. To me, that's not what fantasy is about. I like fantasy because it lets me experience new worlds and settings and yet for some reason many people only want to experience what they are already familar with.
    Just look at the huge amount of western mmorpgs that have an already existing IP.
    Where did you get this strange idea I hate everything western developers do and I have a love for generic f2p korean games? Unfortunately, you're not the first to say that and probably won't be the last.
    I don't hate the creations of western developers, I dislike many of them because of their lack of imagination as far as world settings are concerned. I'm dissapointed that many treat fantasy not as something that is only limited by imagination, but as something that should stick to the things invented by Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons.
    Take The Saga of Ryzom as an example, just look at the setting. Look at how different and unique it looks. Unfortuantely, games like that are the exception, not the rule.
    I don't have a love for generic f2p korean games. I don't play those very often. What I am doing is defending them from incorrect claims and stereotypes.

I said it because i saw you on many different F2P (especially Korean) game threads defending them, i could be wrong, thats why i put a question mark.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Yeah, first Borderlands then Dragon Age, can't wait.

Exactly. Who needs mmos when you have epic games like these that have no monthly fee.

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Aganazer

While I am sure it will be a good game I am really worried about a few things.

Zones - I hate loading between zones in a RPG game.

Common inventory between all characters - Another immersion breaking game mechanic

Bioware likes invisible walls - Don't know if they exist in DA, but they always kill the fun of exploring if I feel like I am being too directed.

Emo inter-party dialog - I don't care if Draco, the barbarian took offense to my unkind words when talking to the beggar. I am also not caring whether or not Feathermoon, the druid has a crush on me and wants to get it on.

All these things are right..Bioware makes Good but Linear rpg..

Personally i think other RPG dev team kick their ass..

Gothic series..

Morrowind..

Risen..

The Witcher pisses all over any Bioware game..

The Witcher assassin of kings will kick any BioWare rpg once it's released.

www.youtube.com/watch

Sex ....Drugs and Real open ended RPG..

Fallout 3

GTA 4

Dragon Age..yeah it will be good but like every BioWare RPG..real Linear shit..

All these games are just as good if not better than and BioWare RPG ...

European RPG dev teams are now kicking ass..

Don't get me wrong,i have pre-ordered DAO because BioWare make good RPG but they are seriously overhyped IMO.

• DawnsingerDawnsinger Member Posts: 212

To be perfectly honest, I think you're a bloody fool. Making a good fantasy setting or world isn't about making it magical or unique or even interesting, it's about holding up a mirror to the world, and showing you a face of it you haven't seen before. Eastern games don't do that, or at least don't do that for the Western world, I mean, take a look at Aion.

There's nothing special about Korean games, they're boring, colourful and crappy. Get over it.

Bioware, despite EA making a dog's arse of the publishing and marketing, appear to have created a brilliant setting and a very well designed and polished game. Show me an Eastern game that does that. ( And if you say Aion, I will lol. )

http://www.havenandhearth.com
    The Best New Sandbox Game Out There.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by billynomates

Common inventory between all characters - Another immersion breaking game mechanic

Bioware likes invisible walls - Don't know if they exist in DA, but they always kill the fun of exploring if I feel like I am being too directed.

Emo inter-party dialog - I don't care if Draco, the barbarian took offense to my unkind words when talking to the beggar. I am also not caring whether or not Feathermoon, the druid has a crush on me and wants to get it on.

Gothic series..

Morrowind..

Risen..

www.youtube.com/watch

Fallout 3

GTA 4

Don't get me wrong,i have pre-ordered DAO because BioWare make good RPG but they are seriously overhyped IMO.

Actually BioWare RPGs give you a lot of freedom and choice, still linear but not that linear. Risen is no less linear then KoTOR or Mass Effect. If I had to actually judge I would say Risen is meh, it's got an intriguing story, but the game play is lacking. But that is irrelevant. Basically what I'm getting to, in Both KoTOR and ME you could choose where to go, you chose the directions, everything was set up for you, but you made the choices. I expect the same from DA:O.  And for those of you that don't know, it took two copies of the witcher for them to get it right, when The Witcher first released it was plagued with bugs that made it almost unplayable, then they released the Enhanced version. But I agree, the witcher is a great game.

Any Bethesda game is win, BioWare falls in second for me in that area. But GTA4, yeah nice pc port...not really.

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by greed0104

Gothic series..

Morrowind..

Risen..

www.youtube.com/watch

Fallout 3

GTA 4

Actually BioWare RPGs give you a lot of freedom and choice, still linear but not that linear. Risen is no less linear then KoTOR or Mass Effect. If I had to actually judge I would say Risen is meh, it's got an intriguing story, but the game play is lacking. But that is irrelevant. Basically what I'm getting to, in Both KoTOR and ME you could choose where to go, you chose the directions, everything was set up for you, but you made the choices. I expect the same from DA:O.  And for those of you that don't know, it took two copies of the witcher for them to get it right, when The Witcher first released it was plagued with bugs that made it almost unplayable, then they released the Enhanced version. But I agree, the witcher is a great game.

Any Bethesda game is win, BioWare falls in second for me in that area. But GTA4, yeah nice pc port...not really.

Risen is open RPG ,you have not played gothic series i take it? Risen is typical PB rpg ,you know sandbox like GTA 4 AND Bethesda rpgs..All these games give you choices but are not linear..BioWare = linear RPG,no matter how much choice you have,you still have to follow the story ..

BioWare = Linear.

GTA= Great PC games especially if you have the PC to crank it up,i had or have no problem with it.

Again..BioWare = Linear game play and world...FACT.

Actually "The Witcher"  one copy/two copy,the Enhanced Edtion is the same but without the slow load times and bugs,it pisses all over any BioWare RPG..

KOTOR 1 is over hyped ...and ME...

Ps.. another PC/XBOX RPG that kicks the shit out of BiWare RPGs.. uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/divinity2egodraconis/video/6233227/divinity-ii-ego-droconis-orobas-fjords-gameplay-movie

www.divinity2.com/

Seriously get this game,only  in europe at the moment.In europe we know what castle and medievil things look like,that's why we kick butt when it comes to RPG..

And another Briiliant RPG www.kings-bounty.com/eng/

Their is life outside of BioWare..lol

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Risen is open RPG ,you have not played gothic series i take it? Risen is typical PB rpg ,you know sandbox like GTA 4 AND Bethesda rpgs..All these games give you choices but are not linear..BioWare = linear RPG,no matter how much choice you have,you still have to follow the story ..
    BioWare = Linear.
    GTA= Great PC games especially if you have the PC to crank it up,i had or have no problem with it.
    Again..BioWare = Linear game play and world...FACT.
    Actually "The Witcher"  one copy/two copy,the Enhanced Edtion is the same but without the slow load times and bugs,it pisses all over any BioWare RPG..
    KOTOR 1 is over hyped ...and ME...
    Ps.. another PC/XBOX RPG that kicks the shit out of BiWare RPGs.. uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/divinity2egodraconis/video/6233229/divinity-ii-ego-draconis-secret-passage-to-the-bandit-camp-gameplay-movie

www.divinity2.com/
    Seriously get this game,only avalible in europe at the moment.In europe we know what castle and medievil things look like,that's why we kick butt when it comes to RPG..

Risen is far from sandbox RPG. It's very constricting. Also it is a linear game, wanna be a mage? You go to Harbor Town, warrior? Dons camp. It's linear, you follow a path, you get small locations to explore, just like KoTOR or ME, you can go off that path and fiddle around with those small locations. Actually, this isn't even worth it, to me it's linear, to you it's not, let's leave it at that.

I run GTA 4 fine as well, but does that make it a good port? Nope, GTA 4 has recieved complaint after complaint because it is to demanding, where you or myself might not notice it, it is true.

Both Witchers are the Same, only difference is those that didn't have access to the interenet were delivered a broken game when they first purchased it, Enchanced included all the fixs. So my point still stands. "It pisses over every BW RPG" is an opinion, since we are sharing them, The Witcher was great, but it was was gimped by it's uninterested push your mouse button on completed swing combat. Swing , Swing Faster, Swing Faster, Swing faster. Again, great RPG bad Combat. And combat IS important. Cards with boobs made it better, right?

KoTOR 1 is not over hyped. It's been out, people shared their opinions on it, you disagree, so to you it's "over hyped". I guess everybody is exagerrating. To me, ME is not that great, again, to me. But it was fun and the combat was interesting as well as the story. Basically, I thought it was good, not amazing. But I understand others thinking so. get it?

And, uh, grats on being Europeon?

• Just a shame that the game dont support multiplayer. It would really like to play with some mates. But I bet singleplay will have a great story.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Well, I for one am very much looking forward to this title along with Mass Effect 2.

I love how much Bioware has pushed the genre towards better non-linear storytelling where your choices do matter and your party does not always agree with actions of your avatar. Bioware games to date have all been enjoyable for me. I am looking for entertainment not a second job. Mass Effect for example is a good example of this - you get a solid 30-60 hours worth of entertainment. 

I also think it is a pretty narrowminded to declare that there is something wrong with a game because it is too "linear" or "not-sandbox" in your mind. There are different type of RPGs and RPG hybrids that all have their own market. You are not forced to play the ones you "dislike".

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• Squirv01Squirv01 Member Posts: 155

Feisty Critters they are those dragons.  I'll look forward to killing them.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Battlekruse

Just a shame that the game dont support multiplayer. It would really like to play with some mates. But I bet singleplay will have a great story.

I think it will be a treat. I think it will also be great to play a RPG with an immersive story that isn't spoiled by multi-player, all too often the zone/general chat in mmorpg on launch gets very puerile very fast.

• HyperfishHyperfish Member Posts: 101

I've just finished reading the PC Gamer, (UK), review and they gave it 94%, calling it quote: '...the RPG of the decade"

To some people on here saying they that the fantasy setting is cliqued.  I agree, I can't stand most fantasy stuff.  However when Bioware do this sort of thing I'm always first in line for it. Why? Because of the amount of time and effort they devote to creating a universe with a complex history, politics and conflicts that not only draw you in but make you the protaginist of the action, is unmatched in the video games world. My favorite game of all time is Baldurs Gate 2, precisely for the above reasons. I would seriously considering finding out more if your into this sort of thing before just dismissing it as a generic Tokien clone.

The only criticism they had was that some of the fights were too hard...oh isn't that another flaw with most MMO's? Too easy these days? :)

And to the guy who thinks Divine Divinty is better then any Bioware game?.....all i can say is some people have no taste :P

Originally posted by Dawnsinger

To be perfectly honest, I think you're a bloody fool. Making a good fantasy setting or world isn't about making it magical or unique or even interesting, it's about holding up a mirror to the world, and showing you a face of it you haven't seen before. Eastern games don't do that, or at least don't do that for the Western world, I mean, take a look at Aion.

There's nothing special about Korean games, they're boring, colourful and crappy. Get over it.

Bioware, despite EA making a dog's arse of the publishing and marketing, appear to have created a brilliant setting and a very well designed and polished game. Show me an Eastern game that does that. ( And if you say Aion, I will lol. )

Ofcourse Fantasy setting is about making it magical, unique or interesting. Here, this is the very first definition of Fantasy:

imagination, esp. when extravagant and unrestrained.

Creating the same generic fantasy realm over and over again is not imaginative, especially when the games aren't even set in the same realm. They are not unrestrained either as they are all chained to already existing fantasy cliches.

To compare DE to games like Aion is silly. Aion is an mmorpg, Dragon Age is an offline roleplaying game. Ofcourse there is a bigger focus on world and storytelling in an offline mmorpg. You can say what you want about Aion, at least NCsoft didn't rely on the old orcs and elves or on an already existing IP.

To show you eastern games with much more unique world? For that you need to look no further than Squaresoft games before they merged with Enix.

Take a look at Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana or Final Fantasy X.

Look at the Architecture, the character design and storytelling, look at how different and unique it looks. Final Fantasy X may not be the best Final Fantasy from a gameplay perspective, but in my opinion it is the best one in terms of world and character design. It was a new place with its own look, people and traditions.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Ofcourse Fantasy setting is about making it magical, unique or interesting. Here, this is the very first definition of Fantasy:

Creating the same generic fantasy realm over and over again is not imaginative, especially when the games aren't even set in the same realm. They are not unrestrained either as they are all chained to already existing fantasy cliches.

To compare DE to games like Aion is silly. Aion is an mmorpg, Dragon Age is an offline roleplaying game. Ofcourse there is a bigger focus on world and storytelling in an offline mmorpg. You can say what you want about Aion, at least NCsoft didn't rely on the old orcs and elves or on an already existing IP.

To show you eastern games with much more unique world? For that you need to look no further than Squaresoft games before they merged with Enix.

Look at the Architecture, the character design and storytelling, look at how different and unique it looks. Final Fantasy X may not be the best Final Fantasy from a gameplay perspective, but in my opinion it is the best one in terms of world and character design. It was a new place with its own look, people and traditions.

Look bro, you've made your point. Now stop trashing the game and let the people that do care to play Dragon Age discuss it.

I'm personally looking forward to it. Mass Effect wasn't quite what I wanted it to be and I'm hoping this will make up for that. =]

• TormDKTormDK Member UncommonPosts: 101

I am looking forward to the DragonAge franchise. FInally Bioware will be allowed to go haywire with their own story.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Dragon Age looks like a load of fun cant wait!

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• Chase05Chase05 Member Posts: 113

I hope the game lives up to its potential, cant wait for this.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

instead ncsoft copied paradise lost

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226

I've watched most of the videos for all the beginning character races.

They are cool videos but I can't help but wonder what the game will be like after you pass your character's early game quests that are specific for that character. For instance, one of the videos I watched had woman character that was supposed to be forced to be a concubine but she fights out... what happens when that quest is over? what happens when her cities quests are over? Will all the characters then receive the exact same random encounter quests?

Basically I'm worried that the story will get weaker as you get midway into the game. (also, like another guy posted, it would suck if the game was a bit EMO)

And I haven't seen any video about the combat/gameplay so I'm just wishing it's great.

HOWEVER this is the #1 game I am looking forward to this holliday season.

And that dwarf, elves, dragons argument never really holds up as a legit complaint in my opinion. (maybe it would if I played several mmorpgs with those classes but I don't play any mmorpgs at all because they all suck!)

oh, and I never beat Mass Effect - way overrated.

Originally posted by tkreep

instead ncsoft copied paradise lost

Are you talking about the poem? you really trying to grasp at straws that much?

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

You seem to contradict your self a little. Yout talk about immersion breaking with the zones and inventory yet a mechanic Bioware uses to make the best story possible you don't like? In Mass Effect their reactions to my actions made a closer connection and made them more then party members 1 and 2.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD