Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mayan didn't say the world ends in 2012

Comments

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

NASA debunks 2012 apocalypse myths clicly

*sight* we won't have our last day party ;)

• wartywarty Member Posts: 461
    Originally posted by digidevil4

Originally posted by warty

My personal theory is that they got to 2012, and turned around saying;

"you know what, some other fucker can carry on after that, ive got some badass cramp from all that chiseling"

+1 :D brilliant theory m8. Srly thats probably what happened-

cheers ;) honestly tho you can almost garantee thats what it is. when you write everything in stone you dont write a lot. that they even got to 2012 is a testament to either their incredible resolve, or stupidity. make your pick!

Playing polished, lag free, feature complete games is carebear. Whining about a game you hate but still play is hardcore man!

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

If you think the world is gonna end in 2012... Can I have your stuff? ;)

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Korhindi

Actually, the world ended in 1999; we just don't know it yet since we are still all in the Matrix.
    2012 is the first scheduled Patch Day for the Matrix, and well, you all know how patch days go...

tru that

• PizziJQPizziJQ Member Posts: 140

Is this Y2K round 2? because it lost round 1 bad

Lvl 75 Black Mage/White Mage ffxi
    Lvl 80 Druid WoW
    Lvl 34 Ranger Aion

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Korhindi

Actually, the world ended in 1999; we just don't know it yet since we are still all in the Matrix.
    2012 is the first scheduled Patch Day for the Matrix, and well, you all know how patch days go...

This x100.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Tsnow

I don't know about the end of the world, or humanity for that fact, but I do know the Mayan's knew what they were talking about.
    The date in question 12/21/12 will find our sun parrellel with the center of our galaxy. Many scientists have stated that the results could be as simple as Solar flares or as massive as a magnetic polar shift that will tear the contenents apart. 
    Personaly I think our alien masters will return on that date and try and re-enslave hummanity. 

Duh, the mayans based everything in their calender by astronomy. They just had the stupid idea that the position of the stars affect the life or regular people.

It is true however that a big solar storm might come 2012, like the one that killed the power in Quebeck in the 70s. If it hit as bad as the one in the 1880s we might have to live a few months without electricity, that would actually kill some people but going from that to the end of the world is a great step.

Some people have teories that a solar storm could destroy the life on earth but it havn't happened since life started on earth a looong time ago so the chanse for that is as close to zero as you can get.

The world will stay for a long time, everything dies sooner or later of course but it will be later.

Yeah, because life on Earth is old enough to have endured every possible cataclysmic possibility, and the Science is accurate enough to foresee all of them, not really any point in them telling the general public anything if they are not certain it can be contained, imagine the chaos, oh wait... we've seen that in dozens of movies already.

I'm more fond of the Patch Day process though, we know how it could really happen considering our experience in MMOs. Why care seriously, now that's a good question, as if it would matter if the world ended, we'll discuss it when it happens ;)

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by EricDanie

Yeah, because life on Earth is old enough to have endured every possible cataclysmic possibility, and the Science is accurate enough to foresee all of them, not really any point in them telling the general public anything if they are not certain it can be contained, imagine the chaos, oh wait... we've seen that in dozens of movies already.

I'm more fond of the Patch Day process though, we know how it could really happen considering our experience in MMOs. Why care seriously, now that's a good question, as if it would matter if the world ended, we'll discuss it when it happens ;)

We'll discuss it, yes, if we're still here to do so. :D

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116

The Mayans predicted that Michael Jackson would rise up from the dead and make EVERYONE into a monster, thus turning the entire world into a live action Thriller video... FOREVER!

• NytCrieNytCrie Member Posts: 5

On the note about movies, games, etc. making a "big deal" about the Mayan Calendar and "doomsday": Look back through previous "doomsday" events and the movies, books, etc. that centered on them.  It's nothing new and it makes for some interesting stories to be told/surmised/etc.  That's the beauty of fiction - particularly science fiction - in that you get to ponder the possibilities.  PK Dick (phenomenal Sci-fi author, you should read his work) once said that good sci-fi doesn't have tobe all space, lasers, and high-tech; it merely has to explore the human condition with only slight scientific/fantastical alterations.

More to the point of the Mayan calendar and games: again it's nothing new.  In 1990 a pen n paper RPG called Shadowrun (not to be juddged by the bastardization that Microsoft released of the same name) hit the shelves.  In it is a dystopian, cyberpunk future in 2050...only Magic has returned to the earth, making it a cross between Neuromancer and Tolkein (a weak description, but gets the point across).  In Shadowrun, they used the mayan calendar in that the calendar pointed to Dec 2011 the date the the cuirrent world would end and the new world would begin.  Their spin was that the odd numbered worlds (we currently live int he 5th) were magic void, and the even number worlds were magic-rich.  An interesting idea, i thought.

But it's nothing new to use the Mayan calendar for something of that effect.  Same thing with Y2K, artificial intelligence, wormhole theory, etc.  As for "doomsday" stories, they've been around since the dawn of time.  So have the crackpots who claim the end of the world every time a major event happens in history (or the news is having a slow month).

get used to it and for frak's sake, learn to enjoy a little and not take it all so seriously.

-Nyt

• NytCrieNytCrie Member Posts: 5

Oh yeah, for those of you who remember when Jurassic Park hit the theaters...you'll also remember all the shows and "news" stories that centered around whether it was scientifically possible...or even plausible.

Same thing here.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Does no one know that the German who initially calculated the date 21/12/2012 was wrong with his calculations? (the particular calender will end some decades later, forgot exact date).

Not to mention that the Mayans had other calenders that ended during their reign and after their reign. And that those also predicted huge catastrophes (in their eyes) like a tiger eating the citizens lol. Or a vulcano erupting.

But I guess its not as fun as jumping on bandwagons shouting 'the sky is falling!'.

This just shows human stupidity. The moment we get past that date, everyone will forget and others will come up with a new date from some ancient, but very wise civilization, that the idiots can believe in.

• saleensaleen Member UncommonPosts: 44

"The Mayans predicted end of the world in 2012, this is what I don't get, if they mayan's are so smart how come they see the spaniards coming." -Jay Leno

I think that's what he said. 

• marmotomarmoto Member CommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by saleen

"The Mayans predicted end of the world in 2012, this is what I don't get, if they mayan's are so smart how come they see the spaniards coming." -Jay Leno

I think that's what he said. 

Actually, apparently one of their predictions were the spanish, however they did not survived to see them in RL.

Not that I believe any of this lol, I just think the other scripts were just burned.

• MalagarrMalagarr Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Deewe

SIght...

Just finished the Initiation test and hell when will people stop repeating this stupid false info.
    Once for all, the Mayan never ever predicted the world will end in on 21/12/2012. Consider this date more like a change in the civilization and even changes that could bring a new era, a better one for all the humanity.
    Some people like to frighten others and even make $$$ doing so. Even look below for more accurate info.
    Main video
    Video 1
    Video 2
    Video 3

I'm of the mind that they probably just figured they had mapped the calander out far enough and could quit, personally.

But fiction is fiction.  If it works for a game or a story, then use it.  =)

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

if 2012 is real then ill believe in global warming.

• hellshankshellshanks Member Posts: 144

A lot of people have kinda right info, some are totally off. So here we go:

Mayans, as research shows, didn't just worship stars like some civilizations, they actually studied them. And studied them LOTS. There are different ERAS in the stars. every 2000 or so years, the era changes. This time, it is changing to the era of Pices. The fish. This occurs because the earth kind of swivels, slowly. and the axis points at a different constalation. The Mayans ended their calendar on the day it "ends" and by IT I don't mean the world, and neither did they. So, how does this relate to the Bible and the Christian Myth? 

In the Bible. Jesus says "I'll be with you until the end of the world." "world" was wrongly translated, when he said WORLD he really said was "I'll be with you until the end of the ERA." The story of Jesus was told in the stars by hundreds of different people before the story we know. I'll try to keep it good enough for the  Christians, seeing as it's Christmas. the story is told with the sun. The story was told before Jesus from the Egyptians, and their god, of the son's son, Horus (Which translates down the road to Jesus.) Horus was born on in spring, when the sun is just now rising on the equinox. He dies in December, when the sun is at it's lowest point. For 3 days he dies. For 3 days the sun is at it's lowest point. After this, he rises into the sky. Sound familiar? Sure, we kinda got the dates backwards, but it's the same story, no? I don't mean to offend anyone who is Christian, or belives strongly in Jesus. 

So, because the story of Jesus was told in the stars, and talked of the "era" as the "world", and the Calendar ends on this Era, we have the assumption that the world ends.  

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by aleos

if 2012 is real then ill believe in global warming.

Unfortunately Global Warming does not require you to believe in it, in order for it to exist. Too bad for us, eh.

This is not the first time our planet has gone through this kind of change and it will most likely not be the last. This time around though, humans have foolishly added far too much Cayenne pepper to the soup if you know what I mean. Our planet is warming with or without you. But feel free to keep that head of yours in the sand :)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

lol!we re killing mother earth faster then she can bring in life !good luck with your wish

and thats not even counting all the new disease that will appear from the frozen zone on earth

true nobody knows the futur. that being said i m a truck driver and just seeing whats going on in parking area is a very good barometer of everything else.

nobody care about mother earth ,nobody care about polution

everybody care about only one thing!and that is money.you cant eat money ,you cant grow money .you cant breat money

and you sure as hell cant drink money.

Originally posted by drbaltazar

lol!we re killing mother earth faster then she can bring in life !good luck with your wish
    and thats not even counting all the new disease that will appear from the frozen zone on earth
    true nobody knows the futur. that being said i m a truck driver and just seeing whats going on in parking area is a very good barometer of everything else.
    everybody care about only one thing!and that is money.you cant eat money ,you cant grow money .you cant breat money

You are one very wise truck driver.

Out of curiosity what did you mean by the "parking area is a barometer"?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by drbaltazar

You are one very wise truck driver.

Out of curiosity what did you mean by the "parking area is a barometer"?

Look at it this way if something really bad happens in 2012 that could just be a chance to take fill a void in the power vacuum that could occur or could just be a good day to stay inside and play  mmos while the nut jobs all go out and do moronic stuff.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

i was watchin something on the history channel there like a month back, and all it is they found ONE calendar with the last date on it listed as that date but there are other mayan calendars with dates going past that, one was as high as the year 4000 something. but for what ever reason people latched on to that single calendar with the 2012 date.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

Duke Nukem Forever will be released in 2012 signifying the next era of humanity.

• marmotomarmoto Member CommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by abyss610

i was watchin something on the history channel there like a month back, and all it is they found ONE calendar with the last date on it listed as that date but there are other mayan calendars with dates going past that, one was as high as the year 4000 something. but for what ever reason people latched on to that single calendar with the 2012 date.

the reason being, as usual $$$$$$$$$$$$$, just like the y2k

Well 2012 and Y2K aren't the same scenario in any way whatsoever. That's a silly comparison.

While I do not believe we will see any of the mayhem that some are predicting, I do believe that we cannot predict the exact effects of the Galactic Alignment that will come in 2012. It could be as simple as our oceanic tides being temporarily disrupted. Or it could be much more severe.

The truth is we won't know until 2012. But in all honesty I'd be a devout Christian if I took anything seriously that people from thousands of years ago took as the truth. Not exactly an enlightened time.