Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No new races is really disappointing

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Luneth7

Originally posted by swalker23

Lets just face the facts people that SE has already decided on the races.  If there are more races hurray for new races if not so what.  If not having any new races is gonna destroy your joy with this game then just don't play it.  What more do you want from SE?  Like I said earlier I'm all for new races like everyone else. I rather have them focus on finishing/polishing the game for a sooner launch date than new races.

Well don't you find It kind of weird that they just recycled all the old races and said ''We're doing It because old FFXI players will need to play as them to feel comfortable so fuck new races''

I for one am not buying It. Sounds more like they  don't want to spend the time to be creative enough to come up with new and interesting races.

You see like I have been saying you see galka mithra etc.... but there has been ample work done on the ffxiv version of those same races. The basic look is the same but just as much work has been involved in making the ffxiv charaters as there would have been in a completly different set of races. You dont like it? tough luck. go find another mmo to look foward too.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I want to be a Jenova Project race.

• Luneth7Luneth7 Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by toddze

Lets just face the facts people that SE has already decided on the races.  If there are more races hurray for new races if not so what.  If not having any new races is gonna destroy your joy with this game then just don't play it.  What more do you want from SE?  Like I said earlier I'm all for new races like everyone else. I rather have them focus on finishing/polishing the game for a sooner launch date than new races.

Well don't you find It kind of weird that they just recycled all the old races and said ''We're doing It because old FFXI players will need to play as them to feel comfortable so fuck new races''

I for one am not buying It. Sounds more like they  don't want to spend the time to be creative enough to come up with new and interesting races.

You see like I have been saying you see galka mithra etc.... but there has been ample work done on the ffxiv version of those same races. The basic look is the same but just as much work has been involved in making the ffxiv charaters as there would have been in a completly different set of races. You dont like it? tough luck. go find another mmo to look foward too.

I don't agree with that. They just took the old races from XI and made them with better graphics and a slightly different looking style ( Which is mainly a result of advanced graphics )

Where as If they were to make new races, they would have to spend time brainstorming cool races, creating backgrounds for them, and finding the perfect look for each new race.

image Save me from this abyss of Hell Serge!

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244

There will be one or two new races. I think they will go with two.

Everyone neess to calm down, choosing the same races hs its reasons, familiarity, re-use of previous canon and like someone said "a very well balanced system for individual choice based on characters abilities".

I believe that the races will all be tweaked to allow for the new races added, and that they will all still balance nicely when it comes to classes that are better in somethings and some races it has been hinted at will be able to do some crafts while others are able to do different ones. It will all be interesting and balanced.

And we are all just not used to SE's method of marketing(because it is intelligently done).  We are used to the "build massive hype, sell lots of titles and then see where it takes us" sort of marketing. SE is not doing that. They are stoking the flames of interest in a methodical and restricted way, keeping interest high while baseless hype low.

New races will be revealed closer to Beta.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• CDCostaCDCosta Member Posts: 90

People will complain about anything huh?

They kept with a familiar aspect, so what? They still look nice to me.

They kept this game secret for 5 years... you don't think they can keep new races a secret? They never said there wont be other races.

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395

This is one of those Lose-Lose situations for the Devs.

If they keep the same races, they are not being innovative enough.

If they add new races and lore, then they aren't being true to the IP.

Everyone is a critic.  I just hope that whatever races they have, that those races are fun, interesting and become a gateway to interacting with a fun and exploreable world.

• Sah-aumSah-aum Member Posts: 28

I am satisfied with SE just changing the name of the races giving a little tweak on each of them.

• ZannonXIZannonXI Member Posts: 12

A thread like this is to soon- SE may have used the same races so far but they never said yes/no to making new races yet (why would they tell us everything :P)

• GlowingMoonGlowingMoon Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Korhindi

This is one of those Lose-Lose situations for the Devs.
    If they keep the same races, they are not being innovative enough.
    If they add new races and lore, then they aren't being true to the IP.
    Everyone is a critic.  I just hope that whatever races they have, that those races are fun, interesting and become a gateway to interacting with a fun and exploreable world.

I don't agree with that. Ivalice is It's own IP and so is Vanadiel and FFXIV takes place in neither.

Plus how can you restrict an IP so much? An IP should never be stagnant with constant old ideas and nothing fresh.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by GlowingMoon
    I don't agree with that. Ivalice is It's own IP and so is Vanadiel and FFXIV takes place in neither.

While what you say is true ....... i have theories .... ... yes ... theories ....

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by ic0n67

Originally posted by GlowingMoon

While what you say is true ....... i have theories .... ... yes ... theories ....

Post them in a thread ! ^^

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by toddze

I don't agree with that. They just took the old races from XI and made them with better graphics and a slightly different looking style ( Which is mainly a result of advanced graphics )

Where as If they were to make new races, they would have to spend time brainstorming cool races, creating backgrounds for them, and finding the perfect look for each new race.

They still had to rebuild the races for the engine and graphics.. Its just this time they had a rough template from the start. No real difference than creating a new race. If they did create a new races instead of this argument we would be arguing that they stole the idea from <insert MMO > and ffxiv is a <insert MMO> clone.

You think the galka looking ones will have the same past that they did in FFXIV? The fact that their not called galka should say that they will have a NEW UNIQUE STORY. Just go to the site and read the brief description if you dont believe me. For the life of me I cant find anywhere in that description where it talks about bastok, or them being defeated by giant ant creatures and having to flee from their capital city.

But your hell bent that its copy and paste so whenever you get off your trollish crusade against this game you will see that its just a mere resemblance, and no less work has been put into the ffxiv races.

Edit: for your ease

The Galka are a hulking race of powerful warriors. The Galka's capital city, located in the Altepa desert of Zepwell Island in the southwest corner of the Quon continent, fell to an attack from giant ant creatures six hundred years ago. The surviving Galka spread throughout Vana'diel, and a large number of them eventually settled in Bastok. The sheer strength of their powerful physiques is second to none. They have used their skills to contribute to the construction and development of the numerous mines in Bastok. However, it seems that some Galka have less than fond feelings for members of the Hume race.

The Roegadyn are a maritime people whose largest concentrations are found in the northern seas, by way of which they came to Eorzea.They possess enormous, muscular builds and are known for the cultural emphasis they place on competition and unflinching courage, though tender, introspective individuals can also be found.Roegadyn in and around the Limsa Lominsa area are typically seamen putting in at port, but many have also settled permanently, becoming mercenaries, bodyguards, or even pirates by trade. Far away, deep in the mountains of Ul'dah, live mountain clans of reclusive Roegadyn known as the Hellsguard, said to have mastered the magical art.

So how is this not new background?

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Yea SE are a bunch of lazy slacker's... every single one of those people working under SE should be ashamed of themself's. They created a new world to explore, created a new skill based system, and new battle system. But you know that doesn't matter at all... they reused races.. they teh suck!

Being a sarcastic asshole aside.... what you expect. It's not because their lazy or un-original. They want to slap a familar face, on something new. It's their partake of races in the MMORPG world. New races would've been cool in a way i guess, but i love the fact that their reusing them. I get to go into a new and different game to explore, with a race i knew and loved from a old one.. and that makes me happy in my pant's.

I just don't get the big effin deal. Just sound's like you have more issues with SE , then the races in FFXIV.

• I just hope this isn't the only thing they port from FFXI.  Better to copy FFXI than WoW.

• GorakkhGorakkh Member Posts: 694

I would like to see Anthropomorphic Lions and Wolves as a playable race. And It would be kind of cool but daring to have a Anthropormophic FF style T-rex or Raptor like race.

Just some suggestions

• ViViMagikViViMagik Member Posts: 4

here's my philosophy on judging a game before it is out. I ,( a fellow hardcore FF fan ), have played many mmo's and been on many forums prior to the release of those mmo's. We all though age of conan was going to be the shit based upon youtube videos, forum threads, GM posts, interviews and all that other bullshit. AOC turned out to be a shit-storm if i ever heard one. What are you doing while you are waiting for FF14? Not a thing, why would you base an entire decision off of words and sub-par videos? That's like reading about an ancient temple instead of exploring it.  I would rather go out into the world myself and explore it. If you can't drop 50 bucks and get your free month trial for a legendary game company, then i don't want to party with you. To anyone with this same mind, take yourself to some other shitty MMO.

Puff Puff Pass....

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

Hate to say it but 3/4 of every major MMO release since everquest has featured humans, orcs, elves,  and dwarves, with the occasional mix ins and few complain.

maybe SE is just trying to create their own standard of races for their MMOs?

Also, little has been released about the game. Lets just wait and see.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• Luneth7Luneth7 Member Posts: 50

If they're going with new names and new and different classes plus familiar ones. Would It really hurt them to make one or two new races?

The work involved for these guys for making a new race isn't crazy or anything, I just don't see why they would refuse to add one or two new races for release. Especially when they're adding and making up new classes.

It kind of gives me the feeling that they don't really care about their fans and they just see each of us as a number who has money and will pay for anything they make.

And this is coming from a guy who has bought almost every single SquareSoft/Enix RPG known to man.

I'm just currently deciding If after all these years this is the thanks we get, well I don't know If I really want to support them with a lot of my time and money.

image Save me from this abyss of Hell Serge!

• VysceVysce Member Posts: 26

Square-Enix is a multi-million dollar company with leading edge creators.

They have some of the most talented and skilled artists and creators for any video game company.

Yet they have to re-use all the same old races for their next game? That is just boring and lazy, whoever made that decision, It was a really poor one.

I could understand If they wanted to re-use some of them for comfort for the players, but to simply re-use all of them as the base races and have 0 new races just disgusts me.

I don't want to say It, but It's almost as if Square-Enix is becoming Japan's SOE :x

They should have let Yoshitaka Amano design some new races

I feel as though Square-Enix and the talented developers for XIV have let me down by recycling all the same old races and using them as a base instead of new races as the base races and the old ones as extras.

I don't understand why they don't trow in some of the races from Ivalice and Crystal Chronicles games if they seriously can' think up new races. Final Fantasy IX looked like it had hundreds of races all over the place. A race like Freya's would be cool. I hope there's new races c'mon S E!!!

• Question82Question82 Member Posts: 71

Agree with you completely Luneth! I mean... they couldn't even (as an example since the design is so similar) used the Bunny race (Fran) from FF12 either? Yeah yea, I know, different games, different worlds... excuses excuses! All I'm saying is, they didn't even bother using another race that was already available that had a similar design, set in a very similar world.

I'm disappointed about that as well. I might give FF14 a go after all, depending on what news I hear, but I honestly wish they would add more races for players to choose.

• N1ghtsta1kerN1ghtsta1ker Member Posts: 112

Laziness?  God forbid they put their time and effort into things that will actually affect the fun factor of the game rather than creating new player skins.  They already have 5 races, which is more than enough considering most of the greatest games of all time only allowed you to play as a human.

Hardcore FFXI players will feel at home again with the familiar faces and players new to the series will get to enjoy races that aren't knockoffs of traditional MMOs (dwarf, goblin, gnome, troll archetypes etc.).  I think peoople just complain for the sake of complaining... If the fun you get from an MMO comes from whether or not your character model has fur or a height deficiency then something's wrong.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I wouldn't care if it was just 1 race as long as the gameplay is as good or better than FFXI.

Adding races takes away development time from things that will actually matter.  No one's going to care if there are 100 races to choose from if there is no content past level 10.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by todayisblue

the fact that they aren't introducing new races doesn't bother me. i actually don't want any new races. sometimes introducing new races IS the lazy option. i mean, it's pretty easy to say, "hey you can be a goblin now! isn't that awesome?!" no. it's not that awesome. it's just a different graphic model with some different numbers attached to it. in fact, i hope SE never feels it has to introduce a new race because i would prefer them focus on other more enjoyable gameplay elements that don't require me to make a new character to enjoy.
    part of the beauty of ffxi was that you could experience everything with one character. the developers are shooting for the same thing in ffxiv, so to introduce new races would just be kinda stupid. especially if the current races embody all the archetypes necessary to balance the game for an individual's personal playing style.

Wel lthis is a ridiculous train of thought.Every aspect of game design has it's own division,even the game has it's own division,that staff is entirely devoted to this game.The artists and animators do not focus on the rest of the game,that is for other employeees of skill to do.

So by having the people that concentrate on race design and their animations would not deter from the game what so ever in any form or fashion.The producer, story writers,music composers and level design people still have their job to do in creating the game.

Tanaka himself thought a 2009 launch was very possible,but now that it is not so likely,i would say those animators and artists,will be working on at least 1-2 new races.There is not that many animations to work on really,a death animation,maybe a few weapon swing animations,heck FFXI did not even have a shield block animation,witch was sad really.They should have had the Parry and Guard animations as well,so they really do cut corners in places.

The whole purpose of this game was to achieve a better looking Final Fantasy game  and i beleive they will accomplish it and then some.What i am worried about is the combat and game design,especially  new class structure being able to have any job anytime,it can end up being a complete joke or maybe they have a way to make really exciting,we will find out soon enough.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BeanfieldBeanfield Member Posts: 53

I personally don't mind at all that they're using the races from FFXI, in fact I think it'll be familiar and I like that. What I do have a tiny problem with, very tiny, is why they're obviously the same races, maybe the models are tweaked a little, but they have totally different names. Lalafell? Come on, that's a taru if I ever saw one.

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

It would have been nice to see the races of Ivalice (FFXII, TA, TA2)...shit, it would have been nice if the game was set in Ivalice...there is so much history to it...but...the game is not set there, and I dont really mind...

I'll play no matter what...no use complaining about something that nobody can do anything about...

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514