Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon == community

bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79

In order to understand Alganon you have to realize that it's main selling point is the community. This is a game designed for WoW players or wannabe WoW players that are intimidated by or for whatever reason don't like the largeness of the WoW community. After many many discussions on the Alganon forums I've come to realize that most of the people there don't really care about the quality, features or price of the game. They just want to be part of a small community of players and developers. Even if the perfect MMORPG came along, if it was popular, they would go elsewhere.

Comments

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

This was one reason I am watching for its release 

• rankor2rankor2 Member UncommonPosts: 115

I just want a game with some different features and if they release what they say they are offering i will enjoy it. 

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Yeah, it's not aimed at people who just want a good community and prioritize that above gameplay elements (they're probably playing LOTRO or Eve or something); it's aimed at people who actively do not want to be playing a popular, successful game. I think a lot of people in the beta are looking at how horrible a state the game is in and honestly thinking "this is good, this will chase off everybody who doesn't already feel like a personal friend of the developers and current beta testers".

If Alganon attracted, say, 1000 subscribers, I think they'd all consider it a good thing. Until the company went bankrupt a couple of months later, anyway.

My pro tip: aren't there still MUDs around that you can go and play if you want to be part of a tiny community?

• AlivadaAlivada Member Posts: 86

Well I'm downloading the beta now, (Fileplanet had keys to those interested) and the features of the game don't look too bad. I would quite like to be part of the game from launch, but only if I enjoy the beta (game then community for me).

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

I haven't spent a whole lot of time on Alganon's forums, but I really think you're misinterpreting the sentiment.

Firstly, a lot of folks want to be part of something new from it's inception. Add to that fact a lot of people are just sick and tired of all the other games out there and Alganon, if nothing else, is new. Millions of people have probably gotten a character or two in some game's end-game so they want a new and different challenge.

And there's a difference between not caring about content, and being forgiving of the developers as they work out the kinks and build out the game. They're hopeful and credulous about the promises being made by the developers. If they're wrong about where they placed their trust, well, they've no one to blame but themselves.

And some people, myself included, are looking for a game where a friendly community is a major feature of the game. There's no fault in that. Many gamers are happy playing a game with a small number of friends and ignoring or even griefing as many of the thousands of other players on their server as possible. Some other folks hope that a game comes to existinence that is the opposite of that. I think those folks are placing their hopes in Alganon. Whether or not it turns out to be such a game, well, we'll see.

To be honest, I really don't know enough about the game to know if it could ever live up those expectations. There is such a dearth of information about all aspects of this game it's really off-putting to me. Try as I may, I can't seem to find out a damned thing the game, be it mechanics, gameplay, crafting, etc.

I just wish they'd have come out with more substance before they tried generating all their hype.

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by PhelimReagh

To be honest, I really don't know enough about the game to know if it could ever live up those expectations. There is such a dearth of information about all aspects of this game it's really off-putting to me. Try as I may, I can't seem to find out a damned thing the game, be it mechanics, gameplay, crafting, etc.

There should be a lot of information available starting 10/26 when the NDA is lifted. Five days before launch.

• LordPolarLordPolar Member Posts: 3

On the 26th I will be giving a full relay of all that Ive seen and heard. Suffice it to say, for now, that while it does have elements that are familiar <WoW, EQ2, EVE> It also has a ton of unique elements as well, and the community <99%> Is top notch, mature, and very friendly! Tell you more when I am allowed! =D! <I bought myself a Legendary package <Game and 1st year> shortly after realizing how truly impressed I have been!>

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Yeah, it's not aimed at people who just want a good community and prioritize that above gameplay elements (they're probably playing LOTRO or Eve or something); it's aimed at people who actively do not want to be playing a popular, successful game. I think a lot of people in the beta are looking at how horrible a state the game is in and honestly thinking "this is good, this will chase off everybody who doesn't already feel like a personal friend of the developers and current beta testers".
    If Alganon attracted, say, 1000 subscribers, I think they'd all consider it a good thing. Until the company went bankrupt a couple of months later, anyway.
    My pro tip: aren't there still MUDs around that you can go and play if you want to be part of a tiny community?

100% truth.

And after being in the beta for a while I'm still trying to find these unique features. Studies are ingame, but that's about it. I've been searching for these features everywhere and all I've been told is they aren't going to be ready for launch. But obviously QOL lied to me because all of these people claim all these unique gameplay elements exist, which means they must be implemented. So could someone point me in the direction of these unique features, other than the promises of them? 

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

i found WoW boring as hell. So this will not be a game im looking forward to.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Originally posted by bbbmmmlll

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

There should be a lot of information available starting 10/26 when the NDA is lifted. Five days before launch.

Never a good sign when Dev's lock down information about their game until so close to launch.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Never a good sign when Dev's lock down information about their game until so close to launch.

Ye, don't think ive ever seen such a late NDA.

On the community, going from the forums there's about 5-6 players that are helpful and the rest are just saying the game's a wow clone, having issues, and other suggesting things. Oh and btw do not suggest things to improve the game or say they should delay the game, the fanboi's there would eat you alive.

The community has pretty much deteriorated. People get flamed and told to go away after posting useful suggestions in a civil manner. I got flamed this morning for saying "hey wait, this is a valid suggestion". Really a fun community to be part of. There are a few rational old timers that are friendly, but a lot of the Alganon faithful have turned to open hostility.

As I thought the community was main selling point (and not sustainable) it's sad that they're doing their best to drive everyone else away. It's going to be hard keep the game alive with a handful a players.

• RhiadenRhiaden Member Posts: 62

I think the community has deteriorated due to the "are we there yet" effect.

For 12 hours, batting the same questions over and over means you reach a point of frustration unfortunately.

The community that was there is still there, they are just weary from "are we there yet"

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Originally posted by bbbmmmlll
    The community has pretty much deteriorated. People get flamed and told to go away after posting useful suggestions in a civil manner. I got flamed this morning for saying "hey wait, this is a valid suggestion". Really a fun community to be part of. There are a few rational old timers that are friendly, but a lot of the Alganon faithful have turned to open hostility.
    As I thought the community was main selling point (and not sustainable) it's sad that they're doing their best to drive everyone else away. It's going to be hard keep the game alive with a handful a players.

I've seen your post. You could actually tell the story more along the lines of how it all happened.

You weren't involved (neither was I cause the OP is a known troll and the rest like to flame trolls), and then you got involved. You could have just said you didn't like all the clicking just to patch without trying to push your views on the already flaming POS that was that thread.

Acting like the community there is degrading because of the old timers or veteran members there is asinine at best. What is degrading about the community there is just what happens in all open betas. Respect isn't always around in the infernets.

:P

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

It's not just that thread, but I think that's the defining example.

The OP suggestion was valid and civil. It was followed by a bunch of hate. That's all I saw. I called out the crappy treatment because that's what is was. I really don't care what someone's back ground is and as far as I'm concerned the post was 100% valid. If the post was obvious trolling then I would have ignored it, but it wasn't. I was offended because I was then attacked as well.

I'm not blaming the old timers, in fact, I've been active in the beta longer than the person who told me to leave. Probably longer than anyone in the thread so I'm an old timer. There are still some really nice people there. Some old and some new, but there's a lot more hate then I've ever seen and it's a really poor welcome for anyone that wants to be part of the community.

I agree this is normal for betas and the reason why I've stated that making the community the main feature of the game is a poor choice.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Oh this reminds of the person that wanted to eat me because i said something about this game not raking in alot of money because of obvious issues. The most horrid fanbois i've seen, there are some nice people but ye i agree that now there's way to many assholes than nice people. You say any criticism and people hit you with the go back to wow, stop qqing, don't change my game, you dont like it leave comments.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

Oh this reminds of the person that wanted to eat me because i said something about this game not raking in alot of money because of obvious issues. The most horrid fanbois i've seen, there are some nice people but ye i agree that now there's way to many assholes than nice people. You say any criticism and people hit you with the go back to wow, stop qqing, don't change my game, you dont like it leave comments.

Man you OBVIOUSLY missed out on the whole Darkfall thing.....

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club